Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section
Videocards - AMD - ATI Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything Catalyst related. AMD Catalyst drivers are for all AMD ATI based graphics cards. This is also the place to discuss modified Catalyst drivers.

[WARNING] AMD Uninstall Utility is messed up even for win 7 ultimate x64
Old
  (#1)
DM789
Master Guru

Videocard: 7850 PE 2GB dumping soon
Processor: AMD dumping soon
Mainboard: Gigabyte
Memory: 4GB
Soundcard: Realtek, Altec Lansing
PSU: Corsair TX750M
Exclamation [WARNING] AMD Uninstall Utility is messed up even for win 7 ultimate x64 - 02-11-2013, 18:36 | posts: 370 | Location: hooked on GTA V (PS3)

i was on 13.2 beta 3,

but because of the issues i'm experiencing with that beta version,

i decided that i'm gonna try switching first to 13.2 beta 5, then if beta 5 is a no go too, then i was gonna go back using 13.1 WHQL or 12.11 beta 11.

then when i was about to uninstall 13.2 beta 3, i decided to try AMD uninstall utiltiy, because i heard that people said that there is no issue for win 7 users.

but after i ran it, and then restarted my PC, suddenly i can't boot anymore, and my PC kept restart itself.

then windows asked me to run windows repair utility, and then i tried running it, but then it said that it cannot repair my windows installlation.

and then i was thinking "what a useless tool, that MS called it Win Repair Utility, but it can't even repair a damged win installation".

then i decided to try to enter safe mode, but i can't even enter it, it restarted it self, just like when i tried to enter normal mode.

i was already furious, because i think that i'm gonna have to reinstall my win installation.

then i saw "start windows with last known good configuration", and i thought that i might tried that first, and then i finally able to boot into my desktop.

i don't know what went wrong, but i try checking device manager, and it still said that my GPU is 7800 series, then i decided to uninstall it, and also uninstall the AMD HDMI audio, and then rescan it, then do the normal stuff (running driver sweeper).

and then i restart my pc and then installed 13.2 beta 5 (currently still on it).

then i decided to share my experience in this forum.

because AMD uninstall utility is dangerous, and its a lot safer using the usual method.

i know some hardcore AMD fanboy is gonna flame me for writing this down, but i just want to let people know that by using AMD uninstall utility, it can cause issue, heck i can't even boot to windows after using that utility.

i think that's all for now, i'm kinda glad that i don't have to hassle myself by reinstalling my windows, since i also haven't backup anything at all (all my steam, GOG, Desura games and all my music and stuff).

and i think AMD shouldn't release it, in its current state.

Old
  (#2)
xacid0
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X
Processor: Xeon E3-1230v2
Mainboard: MSI B75-G43A
Memory: G.Skill RipjawX 8GB 1600
Soundcard: BeatUpAudio
PSU: Enermax 650W 82+ Bronze
Default 02-11-2013, 18:44 | posts: 300

good feedback, but it works fine for me. Win 7 64bit.

Old
  (#3)
DM789
Master Guru

Default 02-11-2013, 19:17 | posts: 370 | Location: hooked on GTA V (PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacid0 View Post
good feedback, but it works fine for me. Win 7 64bit.
thx, i know it works fine for some peoples,

that's why i try using it, everything seems fine at first, after it finished uninstalling it even asked me if i want to see the report, and everything in the report said success for everything and there is no error,

but after i restarted, i suddenly can't boot to desktop.

Old
  (#4)
The Mac
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
Processor: i7-4970K
Mainboard: Asus Z97-A
Memory: Corsair Vengence Pro 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titianum HD
PSU: Corasir AX750
Default 02-11-2013, 19:18 | posts: 2,417 | Location: USA

my guess is it deleted your AMD AHCI drivers...

try switching to IDE compatability mode in the BIOS.

Old
  (#5)
DM789
Master Guru

Default 02-11-2013, 19:28 | posts: 370 | Location: hooked on GTA V (PS3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mac View Post

i haven't mess around with my BIOS in a long time, i don't even know if that option even exist on my BIOS, besides all my connection are SATA, why do i need to switch to IDE Compatibility mode ?

but for now everything seems fine, but i think i'm not gonna use that uninstall utility anymore.

and i hope AMD wont integrate it to their driver uninstaller, because if they gonna do that, then i hope they fix it, before integrating it.

Old
  (#6)
Espionage724
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI R7850 TF 2GD5/OC
Processor: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5GHz
Mainboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
Memory: DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) 8GB
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DG
PSU: Rosewill RG630-S12 630W
Default 02-11-2013, 20:12 | posts: 1,334 | Location: Charleroi, PA

Quote:

I tried it, didn't help :/

Old
  (#7)
pakoo
Member Guru

Videocard: 7970 Ghz in CFX
Processor: I7 2600K 4800 Mhz HT ON
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 EVO
Memory: 8 GB G.skill 1600 CL7
Soundcard: Ozone Strato 5.1
PSU: TX950
Default 02-11-2013, 20:22 | posts: 75 | Location: SPAIN

I had exactly the same problem, but I could not recover S.O. Now just use the Atiman Uninstaller Only

Old
  (#8)
WiFry
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS HD7870 Directcu II
Processor: Intel i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Soundcard: Infrasonic Quartet
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 02-11-2013, 22:09 | posts: 103 | Location: New Zealand

I use the AMD uninstall utility for final clean up.
So I still go to control panel, uninstall the CAP, restart, Unistall AMD drivers through the AMD install manager and then use the AMD clean up tool for remnants.

Old
  (#9)
xacid0
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X
Processor: Xeon E3-1230v2
Mainboard: MSI B75-G43A
Memory: G.Skill RipjawX 8GB 1600
Soundcard: BeatUpAudio
PSU: Enermax 650W 82+ Bronze
Default 02-12-2013, 00:40 | posts: 300

So only happen to user with AMD proc?

Old
  (#10)
PF Prophet
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x7870 2gb Dual-X(short)
Processor: AMD FX-8350@4.6ghz
Mainboard: Crosshair V-Z
Memory: 4x8gb Gskill Ares 1866
Soundcard: CHV-Z + z5500
PSU: PCP&C turbo cool 1200w
Default 02-12-2013, 01:20 | posts: 157 | Location: Washington

I will say this again, use revo if you really need to cleanup the driver mess, it can always revert changes it made if a problem comes up.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html

Its so handy i bought a lifetime license many years ago, and if it cant get rid of something, your only fix is reinstall windows in my exp....even managed to get a bugged uninstal of symantek corporate AV off the system(their own removal tool couldnt find it.....)

very handy little app

Old
  (#11)
fr33jack
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX760 OC
Processor: i5 3570k 4.6GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77MA|45
Memory: 8Gb 1866Mhz XMP
Soundcard: Realtek|ALC892
PSU: Zalman 660XT
Talking 02-12-2013, 03:12 | posts: 506 | Location: Moscow | Russia

Quote:
my guess is it deleted AMD AHCI drivers...
This tool uninstalls all amd software...but why this a problem? I have an AMD AHCI/ chipset device/drivers myself...it uninstalls it, but after reboot I just reinstall all drivers without an any issues. Besides, for the love of black baby Jesus, just how this tool can break something that it doesn't even touches?!! For real???..you guys don't even know what you talking about here, right?!..I believe the problem lies at the point that someone already have a @uckedup OS before he/she/it manage to do with it much greater incorrect actions which led to something of a "Oh, no!..this software kills my hamster somehow! - don't use it!" :LOL

I believe, this can might help the topic starter here...
 Click to show spoiler

PS. My guess is here - DO NOT touch msconfig (or any boot related cfg's) if you really don't know how to properly edit it. And if you are using placebos "increase your wondows speed by 300% with one click" tool which messed up your registry - it's your fault and your alone...

PPS. Official AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility - the great tool overall...especially for those of us who are NOT a @uckedup boot settings/ registry entries or OS in general...regardless

Old
  (#12)
DM789
Master Guru

Default 02-12-2013, 06:06 | posts: 370 | Location: hooked on GTA V (PS3)

@fr33jack : i did not touch anything on my msconfig, did not even modified anything, my OS is untouched, and don't insult people by saying that they need read win7 for dummies book, do you even f*cking know anything about me or other people that have issue using the installer ?

and if you think the tool is great then good for you, no need to insult other peoples, just because you didn't had issue using it.

Old
  (#13)
fr33jack
Master Guru

Talking 02-12-2013, 06:45 | posts: 506 | Location: Moscow | Russia

@dm789,
well, if you are insulted by a simple joke, than...WELCOME to EARTH!..it will be harsh for touchy characters here...cause it's kinda not a fluffy "pony-land" or something...nor a kindergarten XD

PS. And judging by your topic content: Yes, I know this - your need more read about OS/ hardware configuring and maintenance...perhaps even a book for "dummies"

Last edited by fr33jack; 02-12-2013 at 07:03.

Old
  (#14)
Racetrack

Videocard: AMD Radeon 7970M 2GB
Processor: AMD A10-5750M
Mainboard: MSI GX60
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 180W AC Adapter
Default 02-12-2013, 06:50 | posts: 39

It messed up my Asmedia USB 3.0 ports on my Win 7 install. Reinstalling the drivers for them isn't working so I guess I'd need to reformat.

Other than that no issues though

Old
  (#15)
Espionage724
Maha Guru

Default 02-12-2013, 07:08 | posts: 1,334 | Location: Charleroi, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr33jack View Post
...I believe the problem lies at the point that someone already have a @uckedup OS before he/she/it manage to do with it much greater incorrect actions which led to something of a "Oh, no!..this software kills my hamster somehow! - don't use it!" :LOL
No. I can guarantee my OS is in no way "broken" (unless my OS tweaks are considered "broken" by bad software).

95% of software works great on my computer. Then there's the 5% that somehow manages to break it (Atiman and AMD's Uninstall Utility are part of this 5%). I have no idea what either of those programs uninstall "exactly", but they both managed to make my OS unbootable.

AMD's Uninstall Utility made my Windows 8 BSOD with some error related to not being able to find the boot device, and I gather from that, that the utility uninstalled the SATA driver (the SATA driver being from AMD). What else would the utility touch in relationship to the HDD?

Last edited by Espionage724; 02-12-2013 at 07:11.

Old
  (#16)
fr33jack
Master Guru

Default 02-12-2013, 07:23 | posts: 506 | Location: Moscow | Russia

@Espionage724,
really? Windows 8?..but this tool for Windows 7 only ...they doesn't released winxp, win8 version yet

Official Description:
This standalone uninstallation utility will clean your system of any existing AMD Catalyst™ drivers to prepare your PC for the clean installation of a new driver version. Currently supports Windows 7 at this time.

After running the utility, a restart of the computer is required to fully remove driver files that may be in use during the uninstall process. Installing a new driver prior to a system restart may cause the operating system to not function properly.

Old
  (#17)
Deckard
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI AMD R9 290x Lightning
Processor: AMD FX-9590@5ghz
Mainboard: Asus CHV Formula-Z 990FX
Memory: 32GB HyperXBeast @2133
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Zx
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 02-12-2013, 07:55 | posts: 304 | Location: London UK

Quote:
This tool uninstalls all amd software...but why this a problem? I have an AMD AHCI/ chipset device/drivers myself...it uninstalls it, but after reboot I just reinstall all drivers without an any issues. Besides, for the love of black baby Jesus, just how this tool can break something that it doesn't even touches?!! For real???..you guys don't even know what you talking about here, right?!..I believe the problem lies at the point that someone already have a @uckedup OS before he/she/it manage to do with it much greater incorrect actions which led to something of a "Oh, no!..this software kills my hamster somehow! - don't use it!" :LOL

I believe, this can might help the topic starter here...
 Click to show spoiler

PS. My guess is here - DO NOT touch msconfig (or any boot related cfg's) if you really don't know how to properly edit it. And if you are using placebos "increase your wondows speed by 300% with one click" tool which messed up your registry - it's your fault and your alone...

PPS. Official AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility - the great tool overall...especially for those of us who are NOT a @uckedup boot settings/ registry entries or OS in general...regardless
Quote:
@dm789,
well, if you are insulted by a simple joke, than...WELCOME to EARTH!..it will be harsh for touchy characters here...cause it's kinda not a fluffy "pony-land" or something...nor a kindergarten XD

PS. And judging by your topic content: Yes, I know this - your need more read about OS/ hardware configuring and maintenance...perhaps even a book for "dummies"
Quote:
@Espionage724,
really? Windows 8?..but this tool for Windows 7 only ...they doesn't released winxp, win8 version yet

Official Description:
This standalone uninstallation utility will clean your system of any existing AMD Catalyst™ drivers to prepare your PC for the clean installation of a new driver version. Currently supports Windows 7 at this time.

After running the utility, a restart of the computer is required to fully remove driver files that may be in use during the uninstall process. Installing a new driver prior to a system restart may cause the operating system to not function properly.
This is a user help forum, I don't see any helpful constructive words in use by you here.

Either offer advice or share your experience of the Ops Q's or refrain from posting

Everyone's system is set up different, what works for one may not work for others, If a user posts his observation about a bit of software or experience, that does not give you a licence to insult there ability or understanding. (joking or not)

@OP have you tried sending your findings to the AMD feedback team ?

regards

SaL.

Old
  (#18)
Espionage724
Maha Guru

Default 02-12-2013, 08:45 | posts: 1,334 | Location: Charleroi, PA

Quote:
@Espionage724,
Both 7 and 8, same exact result (BSOD on boot). I tried it on 8 before AMD actually gave the disclaimer (originally it wasn't stated).

I didn't do anything else with drivers afterwards either (I ran the tool, let it do its thing, and rebooted when it asked)

Old
  (#19)
fr33jack
Master Guru

Cool 02-12-2013, 09:09 | posts: 506 | Location: Moscow | Russia

@Deckard,
one man's trash is another man's treasure
I see plenty of useful and constructive info in my words. From "rtfm" to useful psychotherapeutic council regarding state of the mind and such... :lol

...but ok, I will refrain from this moment.

Last edited by fr33jack; 02-12-2013 at 09:12.

Old
  (#20)
Stalinizator

Videocard: 7970
Processor: 1090t
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 850
Default 02-23-2013, 23:02 | posts: 9

now I see what makes all my programms to be marked as 'already deleted' when I try to uninstall them.

Old
  (#21)
The Mac
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
Processor: i7-4970K
Mainboard: Asus Z97-A
Memory: Corsair Vengence Pro 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi Titianum HD
PSU: Corasir AX750
Default 02-24-2013, 00:21 | posts: 2,417 | Location: USA

wut....

Old
  (#22)
ACMPraetorian
Member Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7950 OC
Processor: AMD Vishera FX 8350 X8
Mainboard: ASUS M5A78L USB3
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard Sound
PSU: Corsair TX-850
Default 02-24-2013, 12:28 | posts: 100 | Location: UK

I too found that if your motherboard has AMD chipset drivers, It removes them.

I tested this theory a while ago but never really posted my findings.

when I did test this, It removed my AMD USB3 drivers and some of my chipset drivers aswell as the intended GPU drivers.

Old
  (#23)
Stalinizator

Videocard: 7970
Processor: 1090t
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 850
Default 02-24-2013, 14:40 | posts: 9

Quote:
wut....
I had problems with installing catalyst drivers, CCC does not launch at all, so I used the utility and it seemed to work well, I installed catalyst and CCC launched, after it though I noticed that all installed programs (both system drive and one I use for games and such) wont uninstall due to some corruption. I'm not 100% sure its caused by amd uninstaller, but I suspect it to be the problem. Had to make system restore twice. So now I am checking out if problem will occur without me using this uninstaller.

update after 3 months of not using it.
never came up on problem with corrupted installations of programs anymore.

Last edited by Stalinizator; 05-23-2013 at 01:07. Reason: update

Old
  (#24)
hitmaneidos

Videocard: HD 7970M
Processor: AMD
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Not sure
Default 04-01-2014, 00:20 | posts: 1

I wish I had read this post before running this POS tool. My Windows was totally messed up and I was at my wit's end trying to figure out how to boot it again. I didn't have the recovery disk or any system restores. From now on I'll be uninstalling drivers the old fashioned manual way.

I faced the issue on Win 7 64 bit.

Old
  (#25)
ALPINEST4RS
Member Guru

Videocard: Gbyte 7970 GHZ 3GB
Processor: i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR 3
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 750w
Default 04-01-2014, 17:37 | posts: 139 | Location: Brighton, MI USA

Win 8.1

Happened to me too, but my system restore point was after I installed new 14.3 drivers.

I had 760+ ACEevent logs in event viewer. All pointing towards ati drivers, the funny thing is windows could repair it. Then about 10mins later windows would crash. What I did to fix my problem.

Ran DDU in safe mode. Uninstalled drivers. Reinstalled 14.2 (what I prefer)

Boot. Run sfc.exe in cmd (run as admin)

type in /SCANNOW

see if windows picks up any files in a cbs.log. and repairs them.

SO far I've had no lock ups. Its been about 3-4 days.

All of this happend after using amd cleanup and installing 14.3 drivers. This is not a guarantee fix for you guys, but I'm just telling you what I did.

credit goes to mbk1969

Tags
amd, amd uninstall utility, can't boot, driver, win 7 x64