Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 2000, XP or Vista giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Linux ?

Old
  (#51)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
Processor: Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte x79-ud3
Memory: Corsair 1866mhz 16gb
Soundcard: Creative Titanium XFI-HD
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Default 02-06-2013, 00:14 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
Facts seem to scare people like you....so I fully expect to continue seeing the trolls post the same old bull....
Oh yeah people like me are scared by facts

Old
  (#52)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Go!
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 02-06-2013, 00:24 | posts: 16,722 | Location: US East Coast

Your post, attempting to rationalize people's reaction to the fact that they're not forced to upgrade, proves my point. You try to rationalize, an irrational reaction to an unwanted fact..... If you weren't scared of facts, you wouldn't have bothered trying to make excuses to justify people's irrational reaction.

Old
  (#53)
KissSh0t
Maha Guru

Videocard: XFX AMD R9 270 DD 2GB
Processor: Phenom 955 @3.8GHz 1.380v
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: 8GB 1333 CL7 Ripjaws X
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 02-06-2013, 00:27 | posts: 2,321 | Location: 0.0.0.0

Please stop now, just keep it about Windows 8.. we do not need to re-visit the same line of argument that happened in the previous Windows 8 thread.

Windows 8 is different to Windows 7, yes we know... A few of us are using it as our main OS.

I'm interesting in what UZ7 posted about Samsung Magician.. what would be considered an Optimized SSD?

Old
  (#54)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 02-06-2013, 00:38 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissSh0t View Post
Please stop now, just keep it about Windows 8.. we do not need to re-visit the same line of argument that happened in the previous Windows 8 thread.

Windows 8 is different to Windows 7, yes we know... A few of us are using it as our main OS.

I'm interesting in what UZ7 posted about Samsung Magician.. what would be considered an Optimized SSD?
Perhaps, the "Optimized" or Unoptimized SSD tag is associated with the number of times that your SSD has been "TRIMMED", from what i could gather since i dont actually own a SSD, windows uses a trim command that will remove free spaces between data, a bit similar to when you defrag your hdd and the free space is moved away from between actual data so your seeking time is theorically quicker as it doesnt have to scan data that is randomly scattered around the hdd plate, perhaps if you run the trim command for the ssd it will then show as optimized once it is complete.

Last edited by Legendary_Agent; 02-06-2013 at 00:48.

Old
  (#55)
UZ7
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 970 - XL2720T
Processor: i7 4770K
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene
Memory: 8GB Samsung 30nm
Soundcard: SupremeFX
PSU: Corsair AX850
Default 02-06-2013, 01:14 | posts: 5,263 | Location: Everyday Rain Florida

Quote:

Pretty much the program had presets and if you didn't have it within their range it would consider it as "unoptimized" I already tweaked my Windows 8 (didn't really need much changes anyway) and when I clicked on Maximum performance it switched my Hibernation mode and Virtual Memory (page files). Originally I had it set to 0 and it switched it back to let Windows decide so there really isnt any tweaking done there.

On the other hand Capacity and Reliability does switch more options on/off depending on which one stuff you want. Pretty much all of these tweaks can be done manually and most people go by Sean's guide over at ocn, but this one has presets for those who don't want to go through the hassle or just want to set it and go

Last edited by UZ7; 02-06-2013 at 01:18.

Old
  (#56)
ElementalDragon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA GeForce GTX 760 ACX
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87I-Deluxe
Memory: 16GB G.Skill RipJawsX
Soundcard: on-board
PSU: Seasonic 650W
Default 02-06-2013, 02:05 | posts: 8,742 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA

"Forcing to upgrade" is funny. Even though nothing about it is "forcing" people to upgrade to Windows 8, it's ridiculous to spout it as if MS is the only company with a product that has ever added new features at the price of requiring an upgrade. Hell.... for 3+ months, they were offering the upgrade for $40 for Windows 8 Pro.... PLUS Windows Media Center for free.

Car manufacturers do it.
computer hardware manufacturers do it.
Hell... Apple is KNOWN for it.

Of all of them, Windows 8 has been the CHEAPEST upgrade cost. But nothing about it is "forced". Next we'll probably hear that a game developing company is forcing people to buy a new video card because their GTX 470 can't handle their game, and at the same time MS is forcing them to buy Windows 8, cause that game manufacturer is creating the game entirely with DX11.1 in mind.

Old
  (#57)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 02-06-2013, 07:07 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary_Agent View Post
What problems with CCC have you found on windows 7 that dissapeared in windows 8?
As for gpu usage, afaik gpu is used in win8 aswell, i dont see how that is a downside, if you dont want your idling gpu to be used then either disable aero transparency or switch to classic mode.

@ElementalDragon, im glad you posted the post#31 so people can realise how hypocritical your interaction has been in this thread, they wont even have to check the older one.
The control panel used to go black (crashing) when selecting any of the video colours. I even did a fresh install of Windows 7, same happend again. Nothing major in all honestly, but no such issues with Windows 8.

I also like the way it tells you at the log in screen when you have Windows updates to install.

Old
  (#58)
pimp_gimp
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
Processor: Core i7-3770k 4.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Premium
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 02-06-2013, 07:58 | posts: 5,882 | Location: Tacoma, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
Hell.... for 3+ months, they were offering the upgrade for $40 for Windows 8 Pro.... PLUS Windows Media Center for free.

What I don't understand is why they removed Windows Media Center from Windows 8 in the first place. I mean it's not like in the past it got in the way if one chose not to use it. It has always been completely optional for someone to use.

Old
  (#59)
ElementalDragon
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA GeForce GTX 760 ACX
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: Asus Z87I-Deluxe
Memory: 16GB G.Skill RipJawsX
Soundcard: on-board
PSU: Seasonic 650W
Default 02-06-2013, 08:07 | posts: 8,742 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA

I guess probably just another way to try to trim the overall cost to the end-user? I dunno. I mean like you said, it has been completely optional for someone to use.... and if someone should feel they need it in Windows 8... say, if they decide to turn their computer into a HTPC, $10 isn't that insane an amount of money.

Old
  (#60)
KissSh0t
Maha Guru

Videocard: XFX AMD R9 270 DD 2GB
Processor: Phenom 955 @3.8GHz 1.380v
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Memory: 8GB 1333 CL7 Ripjaws X
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair HX650W
Default 02-06-2013, 09:12 | posts: 2,321 | Location: 0.0.0.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp_gimp View Post
What I don't understand is why they removed Windows Media Center from Windows 8 in the first place. I mean it's not like in the past it got in the way if one chose not to use it. It has always been completely optional for someone to use.
It is a cost based decision, To do with them licensing codecs from Dolby Digital was it? my memory is a little rusty.

Old
  (#61)
kitch9
Maha Guru

Videocard: XFX 7990 3GB
Processor: i7 3770K @ 4.8
Mainboard: Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Thx Trustudio Pro
PSU: Corsair TX950W
Default 02-06-2013, 10:49 | posts: 1,886 | Location: Doncaster, England

Quote:
Oh yeah people like me are scared by facts
Dude, you are in a thread which is discussing Windows 8, an OS which by your own admission you haven't used and it is not your daily OS. In said thread you are trying to tell guys who use the OS daily what is wrong with the OS the you haven't even used and you are wrong and you have no way of knowing it because YOU DO NOT USE THE OS!

Tard is not the word for your situation which you seem incapable of just leaving alone like some OCD mentalist....

Old
  (#62)
kitch9
Maha Guru

Default 02-06-2013, 11:25 | posts: 1,886 | Location: Doncaster, England

Quote:
It is a cost based decision, To do with them licensing codecs from Dolby Digital was it? my memory is a little rusty.
Yeah, some of the codecs it has to support to be an actual Media Centre require royalties to be paid everytime it is installed on a new PC now, therefore just including it in EVERY copy of the OS will be hugely expensive, especially when only a fraction of users will actually use it....

Old
  (#63)
dsbig
Ancient Guru

Videocard: evga 780 classified
Processor: 3770k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 16gb 1920mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZxR
PSU: Kingwin 850 watts
Default 02-06-2013, 12:24 | posts: 2,772 | Location: florida

yeah the stupid playready drm crap needed to watch tv..

I dont even like using media center as it takes longer to setup tv tuners then wintv software.

media center takes too long to scan channels.

Last edited by dsbig; 02-06-2013 at 12:27.

Old
  (#64)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 02-06-2013, 15:10 | posts: 3,473 | Location: UK

You can watch most stuff directly on a website these days, so needing a TV tuner is a thing of the past.

Old
  (#65)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 02-06-2013, 15:47 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
The control panel used to go black (crashing) when selecting any of the video colours. I even did a fresh install of Windows 7, same happend again. Nothing major in all honestly, but no such issues with Windows 8.

I also like the way it tells you at the log in screen when you have Windows updates to install.
I see what you mean, i tested it myself and the entire window failed to refresh resulting in beying black, i had to take it over the screen edges and back, and it returned to normal, im not sure this is a OS issue, im more inclined into thinking this is something faulty with the software itself but in any case its annoying indeed.

Old
  (#66)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 02-06-2013, 15:50 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitch9 View Post
Dude, you are in a thread which is discussing Windows 8, an OS which by your own admission you haven't used and it is not your daily OS. In said thread you are trying to tell guys who use the OS daily what is wrong with the OS the you haven't even used and you are wrong and you have no way of knowing it because YOU DO NOT USE THE OS!

Tard is not the word for your situation which you seem incapable of just leaving alone like some OCD mentalist....
Yep, thats pretty much the number 1 excuse for any windows 8 fanboy, you dont like it? its cause u didnt use it!
News flash, i dont have to like it to be able to use it, i have used it a couple of times and didnt like it, its not my problem you cant cope with that.

Old
  (#67)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 02-06-2013, 15:53 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Yep, thats pretty much the number 1 excuse for any windows 8 fanboy, you dont like it? its cause u didnt use it!
News flash, i dont have to like it to be able to use it, i have used it a couple of times and didnt like it, its not my problem you cant cope with that.
No one cares, go away.

Old
  (#68)
Keitosha
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 270X 2GB / R7 260X 1GB
Processor: FX-8350 / X6 1075T
Mainboard: 990FX Ext3 / 970Pro3 R2.0
Memory: 32GB / 16GB 1333
Soundcard: SB Z/SH HD477/TX-NR626
PSU: Corsair TX750M / TX750M
Default 02-06-2013, 16:50 | posts: 4,549 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
Windows8 claims my SSDs need to be "optimized"....lol
Optimizing SSD's in W8 means running a TRIM command. Optimizing with HDD's means defragging.
But it does what it needs to do, most TRIM commands are done via the hardware itself.

Old
  (#69)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 02-06-2013, 17:00 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitosha View Post
Optimizing SSD's in W8 means running a TRIM command. Optimizing with HDD's means defragging.
But it does what it needs to do, most TRIM commands are done via the hardware itself.
What do you mean the trim commands are done via the hardware itself? are you saying that the ssd chooses when to run the windows trim command or that the ssd has its internal software that deals with it internally?

Old
  (#70)
Keitosha
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 270X 2GB / R7 260X 1GB
Processor: FX-8350 / X6 1075T
Mainboard: 990FX Ext3 / 970Pro3 R2.0
Memory: 32GB / 16GB 1333
Soundcard: SB Z/SH HD477/TX-NR626
PSU: Corsair TX750M / TX750M
Default 02-06-2013, 17:12 | posts: 4,549 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
What do you mean the trim commands are done via the hardware itself? are you saying that the ssd chooses when to run the windows trim command or that the ssd has its internal software that deals with it internally?
Some controllers have TRIM built in. Some older Sandforce controllers for example have not. In case for the latter, you can optimize your drive manually in Windows or set a schedule.

I tried "optimizing" myself a few manually and i see no difference in available sizes or performance. I suppose it is working like it should.

You are correct that hardware TRIM devices are issuing a TRIM command by itself.

Old
  (#71)
dsbig
Ancient Guru

Videocard: evga 780 classified
Processor: 3770k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 16gb 1920mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZxR
PSU: Kingwin 850 watts
Default 02-06-2013, 17:54 | posts: 2,772 | Location: florida

Windows 8 can be a dick when you want to enter recovery. The stupid shift f8 key don't always work. And then it wants to do it own repair or checks with no way to cancel so you get stuck staring at attempting repair screen and all you wanted to do was enter safe mode or something would of taking 5 second to do.

Why the hell did the have to chang that part so stupid

Old
  (#72)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 02-06-2013, 18:10 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbig View Post
Windows 8 can be a dick when you want to enter recovery. The stupid shift f8 key don't always work. And then it wants to do it own repair or checks with no way to cancel so you get stuck staring at attempting repair screen and all you wanted to do was enter safe mode or something would of taking 5 second to do.

Why the hell did the have to chang that part so stupid
That part is definitely a stupid one, no doubt. I feel they probably wanted to cut down as much of the boot time as possible, but I think they could have left a 1-2s window where F8 would work in there.

If you can't boot, currently the best way to get into safe mode is to simply fail to boot a few times, then it will give you the option. It's not ideal, but it's not impossible to do either.

Old
  (#73)
Legendary_Agent
Maha Guru

Default 02-06-2013, 18:42 | posts: 881 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitosha View Post
Some controllers have TRIM built in. Some older Sandforce controllers for example have not. In case for the latter, you can optimize your drive manually in Windows or set a schedule.

I tried "optimizing" myself a few manually and i see no difference in available sizes or performance. I suppose it is working like it should.

You are correct that hardware TRIM devices are issuing a TRIM command by itself.
Thank you for the information, i wasnt aware of that system at all.

Old
  (#74)
kitch9
Maha Guru

Default 02-06-2013, 22:51 | posts: 1,886 | Location: Doncaster, England

Quote:
I'm not one to get on the tard-go-round when it's moving and there's no stopping you it appears.

Old
  (#75)
kitch9
Maha Guru

Default 02-06-2013, 22:58 | posts: 1,886 | Location: Doncaster, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post
That part is definitely a stupid one, no doubt. I feel they probably wanted to cut down as much of the boot time as possible, but I think they could have left a 1-2s window where F8 would work in there.

If you can't boot, currently the best way to get into safe mode is to simply fail to boot a few times, then it will give you the option. It's not ideal, but it's not impossible to do either.
Or, just make a recovery disc in the recovery menu in control panel... Takes like 2 minutes.