Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything ForceWare driver related. ForceWare (Detonator) drivers are for NVIDIA TNT, Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Windows 8 High DPC latency Fix
Old
  (#1)
Penal Stingray
Banned
 
Videocard: GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
Processor: i7 3930K 4.6 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UD3 X79
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws 2200 MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Titanium HD
PSU: Antec HCP 1200 Watts
Default Windows 8 High DPC latency Fix - 01-27-2013, 20:18 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Before this tweak im was averaging 500 now after the tweak im at 12. I was wondering why im running high dpc when I install windows 8 compare to windows 7.

1.Run CMD with Administrator Rights and copy this bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

2. And Paste it lol then press enter close the cmd restart your pooter and watch your DPC latency drop big time. u can measure ur dpc latency by downloading DPC Latency checker http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Benefits of low DPC is

Stuttering is improved a lot games now rarely stutters

Input lag improves

Sound quality improves "maybe placebo effect but for me I notice it"

FPS improves as well as video playback improves


Last edited by Penal Stingray; 01-27-2013 at 20:27.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
volkov956
Ancient Guru
 
volkov956's Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 HD GHZ
Processor: ES 4GHZ Six Core 12MB
Mainboard:
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB XFI Elite Custom
PSU: 750 EPS
Default 01-27-2013, 20:25 | posts: 5,997 | Location: Канад

Just some info for some on it

disabledynamictick [ yes | no ]
Enables and disables dynamic timer tick feature. The option is available starting with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
Note This option should only be used for debugging.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...02(VS.85).aspx
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Party Poison
Master Guru
 
Party Poison's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1
Processor: Intel I7-2600k @ 4.8 Ghz
Mainboard: Asus p8z68v-lx
Memory: 1600ddr ballistix
Soundcard:
PSU: 750w XFX XXX
Default 01-27-2013, 20:27 | posts: 474 | Location: Birmingham, England.

whats the benefit of doing this?

edit: nvm i just read first post properly , just ran the latency thing on mine and it was at about 1000 lol

Last edited by Party Poison; 01-27-2013 at 20:30.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Penal Stingray
Banned
 
Videocard: GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
Processor: i7 3930K 4.6 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UD3 X79
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws 2200 MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Titanium HD
PSU: Antec HCP 1200 Watts
Default 01-27-2013, 20:30 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkov956 View Post
Just some info for some on it

disabledynamictick [ yes | no ]
Enables and disables dynamic timer tick feature. The option is available starting with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.
Note This option should only be used for debugging.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...02(VS.85).aspx
If ur dpc is already low below 20 ish no need to disable it but if ur dpc is around 500 ish which is pretty high disabling it helps big time it felt like running a different pc, games just runs butter smooth.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
WhiteLightning
Don Illuminati
 
WhiteLightning's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default 01-27-2013, 20:36 | posts: 23,626 | Location: Netherlands

have you downloaded a new version of dpc latency checker ? (since it doesnt show proper values for windows 8 according to the creators).
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Party Poison
Master Guru
 
Party Poison's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1
Processor: Intel I7-2600k @ 4.8 Ghz
Mainboard: Asus p8z68v-lx
Memory: 1600ddr ballistix
Soundcard:
PSU: 750w XFX XXX
Default 01-27-2013, 20:38 | posts: 474 | Location: Birmingham, England.

Ive tried the cmd command 3 times now and still no change, Anyidea why folks?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru
 
-Tj-'s Avatar
 
Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz @1.28v
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W
Default 01-27-2013, 20:40 | posts: 8,517 | Location: Urban`Jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Poison View Post
whats the benefit of doing this?

edit: nvm i just read first post properly , just ran the latency thing on mine and it was at about 1000 lol
Same here and it didnt budge even after this "tweak"..


LatencyMon shows a different story (all ok).


From what i saw Latency DPC isnt compatible with win8 anyway.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Vbs
Member Guru
 
Videocard: Gigabyte 560Ti @1000/2000
Processor: Intel i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz
Mainboard: ASRock Z68 Pro Fatal1ty
Memory: 16GB DDR3LV GSkill Sniper
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Fi Forte
PSU: Enermax Modu 87+ 800W
Default 01-27-2013, 20:55 | posts: 101

http://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml
Quote:
Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8 which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: EVGA 850w Supernova G2
Default 01-27-2013, 21:04 | posts: 7,218 | Location: Dubai

He's just pulling your legs again. DPC latency is reported inaccurately in Windows 8.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
WhiteLightning
Don Illuminati
 
WhiteLightning's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default 01-27-2013, 21:06 | posts: 23,626 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
He's just pulling your legs again. DPC latency is reported inaccurately in Windows 8.
But i dont have any legs left!!
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Prophet
Master Guru
 
Prophet's Avatar
 
Videocard: Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
Processor: Intel Sb@4.7
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68V Progen3
Memory: 12 Gb Kingston
Soundcard: Asus Essence STX|Akg k701
PSU: Corsair 1200w
Default 01-27-2013, 21:53 | posts: 575 | Location: Heaven

Latencymon can report it correctly afaik.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Mangix
Member Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTS 450 1024MB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Mainboard: Gateway WG43M
Memory: DDR3 1067Mhz 8GB(4x2)
Soundcard: Realtek ALC888S + HP 2.1
PSU: 350 Watts
Default 01-27-2013, 22:13 | posts: 60

ahem: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897568.aspx

DPC Latency Mon under Windows 8 shows the value that this tool also shows. The reason is that there were some kernel API changes that cause DPC Latency Mon to be fed info about the clock resolution and not about the DPCs.

Here's a simple test you can do: Install MPC-HC as well as madVR and play a video using madVR. DPC Latency Mon should show latencies of ~500 instead of ~1000 because madVR specifically lowers the clock resolution.

To wrap up, the fix mentioned in the original post is full of FUD.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: EVGA 850w Supernova G2
Default 01-27-2013, 22:17 | posts: 7,218 | Location: Dubai

^^ I guess that settles it then. Report this dumbas5 so that he can play on his WiiU 24x7.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Penal Stingray
Banned
 
Videocard: GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
Processor: i7 3930K 4.6 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UD3 X79
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws 2200 MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Titanium HD
PSU: Antec HCP 1200 Watts
Default 01-27-2013, 22:21 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Latency Mon shows I got 7 Kernel I used to get 84 before it wonder why? did those tweak did something? lol

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
WhiteLightning
Don Illuminati
 
WhiteLightning's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default 01-27-2013, 22:27 | posts: 23,626 | Location: Netherlands

your supposed to let it running abit longer, not 3 secs
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
-Tj-
Ancient Guru
 
-Tj-'s Avatar
 
Videocard: ZOTAC GTX780 OC AmpFan
Processor: i7 4770K OC 4.7GHz @1.28v
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe
Memory: Crucial BLE 16GB 2400MHz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: Chieftec NTRO88+ 650W
Default 01-27-2013, 22:28 | posts: 8,517 | Location: Urban`Jungle

^
HPET off in bios and in win8?

I have both on and got 1000us with DPC latency checker.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Penal Stingray
Banned
 
Videocard: GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
Processor: i7 3930K 4.6 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UD3 X79
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws 2200 MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Titanium HD
PSU: Antec HCP 1200 Watts
Default 01-27-2013, 22:29 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tj- View Post
^
HPET off in bios and in win8?

I have both on and got 1000us with DPC latency checker.
kinda odd my dpc latency timer says im hoovering around 12 and 14

I have HPET on in bios and Platformlock true in windows which is enabled and im using the resolution tool timer which is set to 0.500 ms in simple

HPET Bios+PlatformLock true HPET Windows Enabled+Resolution Timer Tool+Dynamictick disabled= low dpc and games , videos runs a lot better its like having a new pc. well that works for me it might not works on others since system is different. u gotta experiment which one is best suited for your system im just sharing the amazing results i found.

Last edited by Penal Stingray; 01-27-2013 at 22:37.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
Penal Stingray
Banned
 
Videocard: GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
Processor: i7 3930K 4.6 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UD3 X79
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws 2200 MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Titanium HD
PSU: Antec HCP 1200 Watts
Default 01-27-2013, 22:30 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
your supposed to let it running abit longer, not 3 secs
well before the tweak it was the same time as soon as i open it, it was stuck at 84 to even 90 so it don't matter.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
Anarion
Ancient Guru
 
Anarion's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: Corsair AX760
Default 01-27-2013, 22:37 | posts: 11,156 | Location: Finland

All those latency tool show incorrect results in Windows 8 and they have not yet been updated. This is pretty pointless to be honest, it doesn't fix anything.

Quote:
Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8 which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
Penal Stingray
Banned
 
Videocard: GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
Processor: i7 3930K 4.6 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UD3 X79
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws 2200 MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Titanium HD
PSU: Antec HCP 1200 Watts
Default 01-27-2013, 22:40 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
All those latency tool show incorrect results in Windows 8 and they have not yet been updated. This is pretty pointless to be honest, it doesn't fix anything.
then how do explain the drop on dpc when disabling dynamictick? it might not be accurate in reading but the drop in dpc is there. i mean its obvious going from 500 to 12 in dpc latency timer and going 84 to just 7 in latency mon when disabling dynamictick also why does game runs so damn smooth its gotta be doing something right? also disabling dynamictick solves some freezing issues found in windows 8.

Windows 8 dynamic tick has a bug on it

"An official workaround, courtesy of Microsoft Senior SDET hero Tripp Parks, is now available for those experiencing Windows 8 freezing issues. Simply open an elevated command prompt, issue the following command, and reboot:


bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Itís still unclear what the exact issue is, but we can now surmise from this tweak that thereís definitely an issue with Windows and hardware compatibility ó specifically dealing with the Windows clock and processor dynamic ticking.

Okay, but what are dynamic ticks? Do I need them?

Very generally speaking, (Iím not a hardware expert), your PCís processor ó like a clock ó ticks at a certain rate. These ticks are received by the OS to perform various tasks and push paper around. When your PC is idle, however, this constant ticking and interrupting of the OS eats time and power.

Cue dynamic ticking.

This new concept involves the processor coalescing or batching together ticks when idle, only delivering them when a more interesting event occurs. In other words, the processor gets to hit the snooze button a few more times before waking up.

(Hey, remember my previous memory dump showed processors in idle states? Interesting.)

So wait, wonít turning this off eat more power/be less efficient?

Very likely. But it appears the new dynamic ticking feature in Windows 8 has a bug in it. So turning it off should revert you back to behavior similar to whatís on Windows 7 until a fix comes out or a newer build becomes available."


http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/06...eezing-issues/

in the end disabling it gets the dpc latency i usually get in windows 7 i unno if this can be fixed via updates or needs to be recoded again. maybe its one of the flaws that windows 8 have.

Last edited by Penal Stingray; 01-27-2013 at 22:48.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
volkov956
Ancient Guru
 
volkov956's Avatar
 
Videocard: 7970 HD GHZ
Processor: ES 4GHZ Six Core 12MB
Mainboard:
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB XFI Elite Custom
PSU: 750 EPS
Default 01-27-2013, 22:46 | posts: 5,997 | Location: Канад

LatencyMon supports the following operating systems:

Windows 2012 Server 32-bit editions
Windows 2012 Server x64 editions
Windows 8 32-bit editions
Windows 8 x64 editions
Windows 2008 Server 32-bit editions
Windows 2008 Server x64 editions
Windows 7 32-bit editions
Windows 7 x64 editions
Windows Vista 32-bit editions
Windows Vista x64 editions

NOTE: Because LatencyMon relies on ETW tracing it does not support any version or edition of Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DPC Latency
Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8 which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.

DPC Latency Checker for Windows 7, Windows 7 x64, Windows Vista, Windows Vista x64, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 x64, Windows XP, Windows XP x64, Windows 2000

So yes one of the toolls does work officialy and one doesnt

Last edited by volkov956; 01-27-2013 at 22:48.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru
 
HeavyHemi's Avatar
 
Videocard: SLI TITAN SC @ 1097/3105
Processor: i7 980x 4.3 Ghz 1.35 v
Mainboard: EVGA X58 E758
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Dom 2000
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 01-28-2013, 00:03 | posts: 3,611 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penal Stingray View Post
then how do explain the drop on dpc when disabling dynamictick? it might not be accurate in reading but the drop in dpc is there. i mean its obvious going from 500 to 12 in dpc latency timer and going 84 to just 7 in latency mon when disabling dynamictick also why does game runs so damn smooth its gotta be doing something right? also disabling dynamictick solves some freezing issues found in windows 8.

Windows 8 dynamic tick has a bug on it

"An official workaround, courtesy of Microsoft Senior SDET hero Tripp Parks, is now available for those experiencing Windows 8 freezing issues. Simply open an elevated command prompt, issue the following command, and reboot:



bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Itís still unclear what the exact issue is, but we can now surmise from this tweak that thereís definitely an issue with Windows and hardware compatibility ó specifically dealing with the Windows clock and processor dynamic ticking.

Okay, but what are dynamic ticks? Do I need them?

Very generally speaking, (Iím not a hardware expert), your PCís processor ó like a clock ó ticks at a certain rate. These ticks are received by the OS to perform various tasks and push paper around. When your PC is idle, however, this constant ticking and interrupting of the OS eats time and power.

Cue dynamic ticking.

This new concept involves the processor coalescing or batching together ticks when idle, only delivering them when a more interesting event occurs. In other words, the processor gets to hit the snooze button a few more times before waking up.

(Hey, remember my previous memory dump showed processors in idle states? Interesting.)

So wait, wonít turning this off eat more power/be less efficient?

Very likely. But it appears the new dynamic ticking feature in Windows 8 has a bug in it. So turning it off should revert you back to behavior similar to whatís on Windows 7 until a fix comes out or a newer build becomes available."


http://www.withinwindows.com/2012/06...eezing-issues/

in the end disabling it gets the dpc latency i usually get in windows 7 i unno if this can be fixed via updates or needs to be recoded again. maybe its one of the flaws that windows 8 have.

Old inaccurate info is old inaccurate info:

Note This problem is resolved in the release versions of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727113
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SC SLI/Qnix 2710
Processor: 2600k 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 01-28-2013, 00:12 | posts: 19,079 | Location: New Jersey, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
^^ I guess that settles it then. Report this dumbas5 so that he can play on his WiiU 24x7.
whats with that guy? 2 fake driver threads now this?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
Penal Stingray
Banned
 
Videocard: GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
Processor: i7 3930K 4.6 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UD3 X79
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws 2200 MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Titanium HD
PSU: Antec HCP 1200 Watts
Default 01-28-2013, 00:15 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHemi View Post
Old inaccurate info is old inaccurate info:

Note This problem is resolved in the release versions of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2727113
well looks like didn't fix mine im keeping dynamictick to off I like looking at 7 us dpc latency.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru
 
HeavyHemi's Avatar
 
Videocard: SLI TITAN SC @ 1097/3105
Processor: i7 980x 4.3 Ghz 1.35 v
Mainboard: EVGA X58 E758
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Dom 2000
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 01-28-2013, 00:17 | posts: 3,611 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penal Stingray View Post
well looks like didn't fix mine im keeping dynamictick to off I like looking at 7 us dpc latency.

Personally, given your habits, I automatically assume whatever you post isn't credible.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.