Amd Cleanup Utility 1.2.1.0 plays havoc with UAC security in Windows 8

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by fluidz, Jan 20, 2013.

?

Experienced the same issue using Windows 8?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    I wanted to try the new 13.1 drivers and read through the forum to see what others were saying, somebody recommended using the Amd cleanup utility before installing - so i tried it and from the moment after installing it I was running into serious issues.

Issues included being locked out from running most programs in control panel, clicking on them had no effect, and not being able to erase any files in c:/program files or c:/windows, "access denied" would appear. I am logged in as admin.

After running Amd Cleanup utility to remove 12.11 drivers resulted in a registry edit being made each time windows would load, one of these registry changes was flipping the UAC enable/disable switch. Uac was off before running the utility,

I downloaded "process monitor" and watched the startup processes while my pc booted.

The following registry key was being reset to default each time.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System EnableLUA = 1 (uac on)

I'm aware Metro interface is disabled if EnableLUA = 0, but this key being modified at each boot must be linked to the issues being seen such as being locked out from opening UAC. Also I had limited access to control panel applications and was not able to erase files in any sub directories of the Windows drive.

I didn't know Amd cleanup utility was responsible until restoring my system to an earlier time, and reinstalling the cleanup utility afterwards which brought all the issues back.

Be weary of this utility.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  3. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
  4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No probs, stick with ATI man or driver sweeper. AMD's tool works only on 7 for the time being.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Setting EnableLUA to 0 disables the ability to use Metro (Modern, or whatever they call it this week) apps. Instead of having a separate setting for Metro apps (very easy) they made it system wide, so you can either use Metro apps and have lots of issues with certain things regarding permissions, or have no issues but no Metro apps.

6. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Which is exactly why I chose just to not use Metro apps. Rather have easier control over my system then use some non-important apps :p

7. ankinferno

ankinferno Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    Absolutely true man... tried to clean the 13.1 and had a head ache to set my system back to a proper state

Problems faced :

In the "programs and features" of the control panel i lost the 'Uninstall' and 'change' buttons . . they were not visible..!!!

I was not able to access the UAC control window..!!!

I was not able to delete any file in windows Explorer..!! and finally I had to re install the OS...

8. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Lol not one problem windows 8 64, win 2012 and another with Win 8.

9. sekta

sekta Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Go to services.msc and see if everything has an error for the description. I had that and just reformatted windows 8 to fix it. I think it was probably this AMD cleanup utility.

Oh yeah and UAC should be enabled in Windows 8 due to Metro.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Not sure if I want to believe this or not lol... part of me wants to run the tool and see if I too have any issues or not, but at the same time, I have system restore disabled and really don't want to reinstall Windows if needed...

Guess this will be one of those things I randomly try when I'm about to reinstall Windows.

11. gordon1470

gordon1470 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    Same happened to me on Win 8 x64. Had to restore because I couldn't uninstall anything.

12. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Hi...

Most of the options are gone, files missing, Power Options and Un-install options are gone, UAC Control setting not working, themes have Wrong names, i tried system restore and tat was fail, what about "Refresh ur Pc Without Affecting ur Files, when i try this Windows is saying some files are missing and need Recovery media....:(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013
  13. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Re-installed Windows 8, no other way it deleted or Corrupted some Windows files....:(

14. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Those that have had issues, was UAC set to "never notify" before running the cleanup utility?

And those that have had no issues, was UAC set to default before installing the utility?

If you had to reinstall Windows, I guess I'm lucky, it seems system restore did the trick and looks like it has reverted all changes/files back to their original state.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  15. spanket

spanket Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770
    seems it hoses a lot of registry settings as SFC /scannow comes up clean for me. i disable system restore and have UAC set to never notify.

16. Heihachi88

Heihachi88 Guest

GPU:
    7970M CrossfireX
    So someone figured out how to fix it without reinstall?

17. Viventis

Viventis Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI 5870
    Are You Sure It's the Utility?

I got the UAC bug (or at least some UAC bug) and never used the AMD Uninstall Utility. I do use Driver Sweeper. I could not load any of the apps in the Metro start menu and none of the Dynamic Themes for Win 8 would work. I was able to get UAC working with the standard controls, but I still can't use Dynamic Themes. Could it be the 13.2 Betas or Driver Sweeper that caused the problem?

18. asciikode

asciikode Guest

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr
    Clean install, first thing I did was run the Cleanup Utility. Had issues immediately with both my remote and local accounts.

There is no doubt in my mind that it caused this, I had a controlled environment.

19. hulawafu77

hulawafu77 Guest

GPU:
    7970M
    Wow... why would anyone disable system restore? It doesn't take much space and for things like this, it sure beats having to reinstall Windows.

20. alecbond

alecbond Guest

GPU:
    Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    By now you've all probably fixed this or reinstalled windows. Either way, this solution worked for me.
    Hopefully anyone else having this issue will see this.

http://www.deskmodder.de/blog/2013/02/11/windows-8-reparatur-mit-einem-inplace-upgrade/

It is in German, but chrome will translate for you or Google translate can translate the entire page (I recommended the latter).
    I did not rename shell32.dll as the link suggests (which is found at C:\windows\system32\shell32.dll for those who don't know), just followed the rest of the steps. The only difference I encountered was on the first compatibility check it asked to restart to access files. I restarted into Windows and ran the setup again without any issues and now I have my Users and Update settings back.
    I still have all my programs, files, etc. The only thing I can see is missing is all my Windows updates, but that's no hassle.

And in reply to hulawafu77, I disabled system restore when my laptop was running Vista as it ignored the max disk space and was using 80GB. Nowadays I just regularly remove older restore points, usually with CCleaner.