Nvidia Custom Resolutions Backup Tool

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by applejack, Jan 20, 2013.

1. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    So, I've written this little app to easily backup/restore your custom resolutions created in NVCP, via Registry.

Features:
    * Backup to binary file / Export .reg file.
    * Restore binary file / Import .reg file.
    * Clear all custom resolutions.
    * Restart Nvidia driver (for changes to take effect, instead of restarting windows).

Note 1: I'd suggest backing up to .bin file if you plan to restore it on different machines / setup.
    (.bin files only store resolutions data, while .reg files also points to specific location in registry, which may change on a different setup)

Note 2: You should restart driver or OS after restoring custom resolutions for changes to take affect.
    also custom resolutions will not show in NVCP until you check/enable them from the custom resolutions menu in NVCP.

FYI: I'm using Microsoft's devcon util (stored inside app's executable) for restarting the driver.

hopefully covered all possible scenarios. will appreciate any feedback.

[​IMG]

download here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?bug4ml9377isax5

changelog:

-------
    - improved active devices detection method.

-------
    - added device select for multiple (nvidia) devices.
    - minor changes.

-------
    - fix for driver restart verification.

-------
    - improved search for nvidia device when multiple video devices installed.
    - improved reliability & verification of driver restart.
    - somewhat reduced executable size.
    - general code optimization.

-------
    - initial release.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Downloaded - will give it a shot on next driver release from nv. I always lose my custom res when I upgrade my drivers and have my Catleap hooked up. Thanks!

Edit: Something didn't work - I'm on Win 8 64 Enterprise and running 680 SLI - any ideas? I'm getting "Error: Could not find NVIDIA Display Adapter in system!" over the actual CRBT window when I first launch the app to create my backup.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    my testings were done on Win7 64bit enterprise, but there shouldn't be much difference in this regard. have you tried running as administrator ?
    if it still doesn't work, could you please use regedit to export the following registry key (and upload the .reg file), so I can have a look ?

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\[COLOR="Blue"]{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}[/COLOR]\0000
    if you don't have the blue key listed, stand on \Class and do a search for key "VolatileSettings". it should find it under the "0000" key which I need exported (or "0001" key and so on if you have multiple devices)

sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for the feedback.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  4. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    thanks man i use a custom resolution of 1920x1200 for games on my true 22" lenovo thinkvision so will give it a shot :)

5. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    finished building a new version (1.0.1.1) which better addresses multiple installed video devices. it'll use the first nvidia video device found. (I can add an option to scroll nvidia devices in next version if needed)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  6. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
  7. boxleitnerb

boxleitnerb Guest

GPU:
    GTX580 3GB SLI
    Doesn't work here (Could not find NVIDIA Display Adapter in registry).

GTX580 SLI@FW310.90 WHQL
    Win7x64

I uploaded the registry key you wanted. I have multiple devices, probably leftovers from previous driver installations (up to 0008)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?22qe8sbgxb97qip

8. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
  9. boxleitnerb

boxleitnerb Guest

GPU:
    GTX580 3GB SLI
    Thanks, works!

One bug remains, though:
    My monitors native resolution of 1080p got removed along with the custom resolutions and was not restored. However, I still could select it via right click on the desktop and via "screen resolution". So it's only gone from the resolutions list in the NVCP.

Also, the desktop background doesn't span the screen anymore when restoring the custom resolutions. This can be resolved by changing to another resolution and then back to the native one.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  10. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    assuming you did restart driver (or windows) after restoring custom res, you should still go to custom res menu in NVCP and check the ones you wish to enable/show in NVCP.
    (for some reason restored custom resolutions are left unchecked. I'm not sure if I can control this via registry).

it shouldn't have anything to do with native res though. this is weird.
    were you using a custom resolution for 1080p (e.g: different refresh rate / timings) ?
    maybe 1080p got unchecked in NVCP custom res menu as well...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

11. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    This tool is great. Thank you. I use a 55" screen and I downsample a lot of games because you can get a good, close shave with the jaggies you see on a huge screen ! BTW, I would really like to remove 24hz from the 1080p resolution. Do you have any suggestion on a good way to do that ?

There are a few games that I have to create 1920x1082 (Crysis games) to get around that 24hz bug and if you leave native you get scaling and maybe even a tad of input lag. I watch movies on my ps3 over streamed lossless over the network from this PC because frankly, I think the ps3 has the best overall image quality for movies. I am good with reg edit example so any ideas about removing 24 hz or even removing unwanted resolutions would be greatly appreciated.

12. boxleitnerb

boxleitnerb Guest

GPU:
    GTX580 3GB SLI
    No, just my normal 1080p that the driver made. Yes I restarted the driver.

13. 333hronos

333hronos New Member

GPU:
    rtx3060 12gb
    Thank you for your app! Works great!