AMD PCI Express (3GIO) Filter and PCI Bus Driver requires manually updating.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Watcher, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    AMD PCI Express (3GIO) Filter and PCI Bus Driver requires manual updating.

I've come across some information that all AMD GPU owners on AMD Chipset boards should know. The PCI Express driver seems to be missed and not updated during catalyst driver installation. I've noticed this issue on a number of computers and seems to be an issue with Windows not allowing this update of this particular driver. You can verify the version of the PCI Express driver by following the direction below.

In device manager under " System Devices " open the tree and you will either have one of the two following entries:
    1) (3GIO) Filter or
    2) PCI Bus

The " (3GIO) Filter " is from older Catalyst drivers while the " PCI Bus " entry is from the newer Catalyst drivers.

If your GPU is using the latest version of Catalyst driver, you should never have the " (3GIO) Filter " entry.

The current driver version for the PCI Express bus is version 9.0.0.0

The following procedure will allow you to update the " PCI Bus " to the latest driver version.

When you install your catalyst driver, the installer copies the files it uses to the directory " C:\AMD\Support " followed by the version of Catalyst driver you are using. For example on my computer the whole path is " C:\AMD\Support\12-10_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4 "

The last folder listed " 12-10_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4 " will change depending on the version of Catalyst driver you are using.

Now navigate to the " C:\AMD\Support\12-10_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql_net4\Packages\Drivers\amdkmpfd "

In the folder " amdkmpfd " you will find additional folders. The folder name will identify what operating system the files inside the folder you will use: Ex folder " W764A " = Windows 7 x64 OS , folder " W7 " = Windows 7 x86 OS

Now double click your entry in your device manager. You'll find " PCI Bus " listed under the main heading of " System Devices " and change to the driver tab. Click on update driver and browse to the folder that holds the files for your operating system. Allow Windows to update the driver and you will need to reboot your computer.

Once computer restarts, your will have the latest driver version installed for the PCI Express bus.

As always, make a system restore point before you perform any driver updating.

I'm curious on how wide spread this issue is and will be monitoring this thread for responses.

Please follow this procedure after updating your (3GIO) filter to the PCI Bus Driver: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377811

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    sznabel and mirh like this.
  2. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Just gave this a look on a Windows 8 x64 install. I was using the "PCI Bus" driver provided from Microsoft, and it was never updated with installation of 12.10 Chipset drivers.

Manually updating it resulted in my system locking up for about a minute (literally, no activity at all), then my display went out and came back on, and I was prompted to reboot.

I now have:

[​IMG]

Edit: 12.11 Beta 11 GPU driver package has more updated drivers I noticed:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  3. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    The newest version for Windows 8 might be 8.982.0.0

Windows 7 newest version is 9.0.0.0

Have you tried the beta driver for Windows 7 / 8 . It may have a newer driver : http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_application_profile_12_11_cap1_download.html

Do you play any games? Try gaming and see how the computer performs with the driver you just installed.

If you have any issues, you can always roll back the driver to the earlier version.

Let us know.

4. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

Win8 64 pro here.

Amd driver was not installed. Just followed your guidelines and did a restart.
    Updated with the 12.11 beta. Driver version showing as 9.0.0.0

Gonna play some games and see how things go.

5. enix89

enix89 New Member

GPU:
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870
    i dont see any pci bus or 3gi on system devices, i'm on widows 8 x64. ill post a screenshot in a while

edit: nvm i just read the part that says amd chipset :bang:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I dont see any difference compaired to the 2006 win7 x64 pci bus driver i had installed.
    think this is a placebo effect.

But surely there should be something that shows i mean between the original that came with windows 7 x64 its 2006 and the beta 11 pci bus driver is 2012 thats like almost 7 years newer ? lol

Surely something is better, then again if it was important you would have thought by now AMD/ATI or Microsoft would have reported to upgrade it.

7. inouext

inouext Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    Same here.

Thanks for the guide anyway

8. plywood99

plywood99 Guest

Played Far Cry 3 for an hour or so and didn't really notice a difference.

What exactly is this supposed to do?

9. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Best practice is to have the latest driver installed for all your hardware to allow for better performance and bug fixes.

No different then updating your catalyst driver, audio driver, network card driver and so on.

10. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT

11. crookedview

crookedview Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Got my PCI Bus driver updated - thanks for the info. How about the AMD IO Driver and ATI I/O Communications Processor PCI Bus Controller?

For the IO Driver I have 1.0.0.15 (Provided by AMD)
    For the PCI Bus Controller I have 6.1.7601.17514 (Provided by MS)

Using Win7 x64.

12. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    The items you have listed are the up to date drivers for those devices.

13. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Thanks for this!

Turns out mine hadn't been properly updated since 2010 :grin:

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If the driver exists, it has to exist for some reason (would of really liked to see a changelog or something from AMD though to see what was changed/fixed specifically). Although I didn't really notice any performance difference either.

15. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    NitroRX6800
    can anyone find out what are the changelog ?

because if it doesn't change anything, why did they make a new version of it, i have installed the new version, but nothing feels different.

@espionage :
    when i updated mine, my system didn't lock itself, and my display didn't went blank, its weird why yours did that.

16. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Mine did that as well.

17. ztooG

ztooG Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB CDFC
    Hey thanks man running on Win8 64 mine said it's from 2006. Updated and everything's okay but no difference, oh well. :)

18. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    That version number -.-
    [​IMG]

19. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    There seems to be some confusion about there being a separate change log for this driver. This is part and parcel of the catalyst driver package. This driver allows your AMD Chipset to function correctly between your OS and your installed GPU hardware.

You can think of this driver as part of the overall change log that comes out with every catalyst driver update.

You may not see any difference in game play but you don't know what is going on behind the scenes as far as OS to GPU operation and you don't know if there would be a situation were this driver would actually allow better performance.

Would you really want to take the chance on not having a driver that's not up to date when it's sole responsibility is the communication between the OS and the GPU hardware? I think not!

20. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    If you are using the latest version of the Catalyst driver, you should perform the update as described on my first post.

If you are using an older version of the Catalyst driver, you may want to leave it.

Remember, you could always try the newer driver and if you experience any issues, you can always perform a driver roll back or a system restore to resolve any issues the newer driver may have caused.

If you would like to try the newer driver without installing the whole Catalyst driver, use the following steps.

1) Download the latest Catalyst driver.
    2) Start the installer as you would if your are installing this version.
    3) When the install windows appears and asked if you would like to do a custom or express install, just exit out of the installer. Your present Catalyst driver will be unaffected by this procedure.
    4) The driver package will be present in the folders listed on my first post and you will be able to follow the driver update instructions from there.

Best practice is Always to make a system restore point before any driver update(s)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013