Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

AMD's Vice President Leaves Company to Join Samsung Electronics
Old
  (#1)
Watcher
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 6850 OC CYCLONE 1 GB
Processor: Phenom IIX6 1090T@4.1ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB @1866
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default AMD's Vice President Leaves Company to Join Samsung Electronics - 12-28-2012, 05:50 | posts: 2,185 | Location: Canada

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...ectronics.html

Quote:
Yet another highly-positioned veteran from Advanced Micro Devices has decided to quit the company and join one of its rivals. Earlier this month Michael Goddard, corporate vice president for product design engineering and chief engineer on client products, decided to leave AMD after nearly 25 years career and joined Samsung Electronics.

Michael Goddard joined AMD back in 1988, when Jerry Sanders was head of the company, and survived several epochs and transitions at AMD and three chief executive officers. Back in 1988 AMD was making clones of Intel Corp.’s processors and was just a second source of chips for PC makers. Mr. Goddard was a part of the company in 1995, when AMD introduced its first in-house CPU design, AMD K5, but still was an underdog the processor market. The veteran continued to work at AMD during the breakthrough years 1999 – 2006, when the company made the fastest central processing units in the world, but he never left after the company was left behind by its arch-rival. As it appears, the latest spree of job cuts at AMD essentially pushed the long-time employee of the company out of the chip designer.

At Samsung Electronics, Michael Goddard will be vice president and chief system architect and will work at Samsung’s Austin R&D center, a very important facility for the consumer electronics giant. It is believed that Samsung is developing its future microprocessors and supporting systems in Austin, Texas.

Earlier this year another key executive – vice president and general manager of AMD Opteron division – from AMD, Patrick Patla, decided to leave AMD to join Samsung Electronics, where he develops a server central processing unit. Many other executives and engineers also left AMD in the recent years to join Apple, Qualcomm, Samsung and many other companies.

AMD has reportedly confirmed the departure of Michael Goddard.

Old
  (#2)
Konrad

Videocard: GTX 680 MSI LIGHTNING
Processor: I5 3570k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: .
Default 12-28-2012, 16:15 | posts: 4

Leaving the sinking ship

Old
  (#3)
Ven0m
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 680 D2CU TOP
Processor: i7 920 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 12GB Patriot Viper
Soundcard: Xonar D2X>Custom amp>K712
PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Default 12-28-2012, 16:47 | posts: 1,511 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

It would be better if all the traitors and people with no dedication left fast rather than make AMD look worse and worse.

Old
  (#4)
k1net1cs
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
Processor: Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz
Mainboard: Sony VAIO VPCEA16FG
Memory: 2x4GB CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar U3
PSU: n/a
Default 12-28-2012, 17:06 | posts: 3,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
It would be better if all the traitors and people with no dedication left fast rather than make AMD look worse and worse.
Then y u no dedicated to using AMD hardware, eh?
And talking about 'no dedication' for a guy who's been there from 1988 is a bunch of crock.

Interested in folding with fellow gurus? Click here to get you started!

Old
  (#5)
Penal Stingray
Banned

Videocard: GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
Processor: i7 3930K 4.6 GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte UD3 X79
Memory: 16 GB Ripjaws 2200 MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Titanium HD
PSU: Antec HCP 1200 Watts
Default 12-28-2012, 17:39 | posts: 958 | Location: JerZe

One thing for sure he didnt leave because of his health condition or his age he prolly knows the company is not going any where good.

Old
  (#6)
Ven0m
Maha Guru

Default 12-29-2012, 10:36 | posts: 1,511 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1net1cs View Post
Then y u no dedicated to using AMD hardware, eh?
And talking about 'no dedication' for a guy who's been there from 1988 is a bunch of crock.
I'm not the one moving company secrets to the competition + I don't think it's good for the company to have top chairs occupied by people who are busy looking for another job.

Old
  (#7)
Luumpy
Master Guru

Videocard: 470gtx s/c
Processor: e8400 @4.0 , Zalman 900
Mainboard: Evga 680i,bios 33
Memory: 4gigsddr2 Corsair XMS1066
Soundcard: Xonar, logitech 5500
PSU: 750w Thermaltake
Default 12-29-2012, 16:15 | posts: 425 | Location: Seattle

Why would Samsung want these people that helped ruin AMD ?

Old
  (#8)
Kaleid
Maha Guru

Videocard: AMD HD7750
Processor: i3 530 @ 4.04
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D-E
Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: X-fi Extrememusic
PSU: Silver Power 750w
Default 12-29-2012, 16:27 | posts: 2,018 | Location: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Leaving the sinking ship
The new consoles should give AMD plenty of $$$.

Old
  (#9)
k1net1cs
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
Processor: Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz
Mainboard: Sony VAIO VPCEA16FG
Memory: 2x4GB CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar U3
PSU: n/a
Default 12-29-2012, 17:19 | posts: 3,714

Quote:
I'm not the one moving company secrets to the competition
Oh, sure, and anecdotal evidence is surely making that 'fact' any more valid.
Ever thought that 'company secrets' of an IT company are mostly patentable techs that's probably already patented by the company he previously worked for?
Therefore bringing 'company secrets' to another company rather moot or even pointless?

Quote:
I don't think it's good for the company to have top chairs occupied by people who are busy looking for another job.
If you really think the top positions in companies around the world aren't mostly filled by someone from another company with experience in a similar field, you are gravely oblivious.

Interested in folding with fellow gurus? Click here to get you started!

Last edited by k1net1cs; 12-29-2012 at 17:22.

Old
  (#10)
nicugoalkeper
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB
Processor: Q6600 G0 @ 3600
Mainboard: Asus P5E
Memory: 4Gb DDR2 800 Geil Ultra
Soundcard: Soundmax
PSU: CoolMaster 620 Real Power
Default 12-29-2012, 17:45 | posts: 791 | Location: RO TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Leaving the sinking ship
I agree and Samsung is a new power on the market, so it is right to take the best people to them.

Old
  (#11)
Clouseau
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI HD6950 Twin Frozr III
Processor: Phenom II x4 940BE
Mainboard: ASUS M3A32-MVP WiFi
Memory: GSkill Pi-Black 4x2GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec HCP 1200
Default 12-29-2012, 18:23 | posts: 480

Quote:
I agree and Samsung is a new power on the market, so it is right to take the best people to them.
It is not that they are the best, it is just how the business world operates. They are filling a position with a person who has held a similiar position and rank; experience. There is less risk involved than filling the position with a person who has never held a similar position and/or rank.

Plus, the one rule: The only way a company changes is from the top down. Followed by the axiom: Management never cuts its own throat. AMD is not only "digging in" but trying really hard to reinvent itself. Sometimes certain individuals need to leave inorder to acomplish this.

Last edited by Clouseau; 12-29-2012 at 18:27.

Old
  (#12)
Ven0m
Maha Guru

Default 12-29-2012, 23:33 | posts: 1,511 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1net1cs View Post
(...)
If you really think the top positions in companies around the world aren't mostly filled by someone from another company with experience in a similar field, you are gravely oblivious.
My point is that if you're looking for another job, it's rather better for the company if you left soon, as your commitment and long-term planning abilities may be crippled. Patents aren't the only intellectual property that's valuable, you have to remember about strategic planning, and knowledge from private discussions on CEO levels. And for the new company, as Clouseau mentioned, it's safer to get someone experienced.

We'll have yet to see how this change will affect AMD, as I think that it's a great opportunity for Samsung. Perhaps it'll be like with the Windows guy (Steven Sinfosky) in Microsoft who was asked to leave for his destructive behavior, perhaps it will turn out Michael Goddard was keeping AMD from falling apart, or perhaps not much will change. We'll have to wait for the effects.

I'd really like AMD to stay in x86 market (and GPU market too). 100% Intel-dominant position would be unhealthy. But what will AMD guys do? Can they catch up or look for some new targets? I really like how you can build a cheap microserver on AMD (eg ECC memory, VT-d/IOMMU support), and it's difficult to achieve that with Intel parts at such cost. Maybe they'll go in this direction.