Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Intel likely to figure a way to keep LGA design for CPUs
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Intel likely to figure a way to keep LGA design for CPUs - 12-22-2012, 07:58 | posts: 21,102 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Commenting on Intel's reported plans of abandoning CPU socket designs and changing to directly soldered CPUs after two years, Asustek Computer vice president and general manager of motherboard/deskto...

Intel likely to figure a way to keep LGA design for CPUs

Old
  (#2)
FerCamô
Member Guru

Videocard: R9 290X
Processor: i7 4820k 4.6GHz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage Formula IV
Memory: 4x4GB CorsairVant 2133GHz
Soundcard: Xonar DX+Homemade Amp
PSU: Corsair HX-850 v2 gold
Default 12-22-2012, 12:10 | posts: 149 | Location: Portugal

The plan is on track and people are getting dumber, and are starting to not know, something as simple as placing a cpu on a socket, too bad the world didn't end lol (about diy market decline)

Old
  (#3)
Size_Mick
Member Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 460 SSC 1GB
Processor: Core2Quad Q6600 (333x9)
Mainboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Memory: 2GBx2 DDR2@1066 5-5-5-15
Soundcard: Integrated, ALC889A
PSU: LS Ultra 750W
Default 12-23-2012, 01:44 | posts: 90 | Location: Florida USA

Even if it's a meant to be a "soldered" cpu, it has to have contacts on its surface somewhere, so I don't see the problem. Mobo mfrs. can make sockets for just about anything, I imagine. LGA was made because they wanted the CPU to be able to be either soldered using surface mount technology or socketed, so wikipedia says.

Last edited by Size_Mick; 12-23-2012 at 01:52.

Old
  (#4)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru

Videocard: SLI TITAN SC @ 1097/3105
Processor: i7 980x 4.3 Ghz 1.35 v
Mainboard: EVGA X58 E758
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Dom 2000
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 12-23-2012, 02:26 | posts: 3,534 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

1000+ pin count BGA sockets have been around for a long time in ATE. Nothing new here.

Last edited by HeavyHemi; 12-23-2012 at 02:38.

Old
  (#5)
scoter man1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Evga GTX 570/Korean 1440p
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark1
Memory: GSkill Trident X 2x4GB
Soundcard: Onboard/Superlux HD660
PSU: XIGMATEK 750w
Default 12-23-2012, 04:55 | posts: 4,267 | Location: MI, USA

Wont that kill off the the makers like evga, gigabyte, etc? They'd have to make a mobo with the cpu already soldered on and make multiple of the same one with cpu variations.

Old
  (#6)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 12-23-2012, 05:20 | posts: 7,123 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoter man1 View Post
Wont that kill off the the makers like evga, gigabyte, etc? They'd have to make a mobo with the cpu already soldered on and make multiple of the same one with cpu variations.
The idea here is that there won't be CPU variations, just motherboard ones. CPU features will be software unlocked by paying for codes. Intel is at the point now where they can make processors at an insanely high yield. They no longer really have a need for binning.

Most people here will hate this because it's simply not what they are used to. I, on the other hand, like it. I don't think there's every been a time where I dropped a new CPU on to my older motherboard. Having the CPU integrated allows for kinds of new cooling options on both sides of the motherboard. It technically lowers the cost which should be passed to consumers. It also increases the durability of the chip as a soldered connection is obviously a lot better than just contact. It allows for all kinds of different internal designs because no longer have to worry about pin configurations. Also chances are software unlocking will be hacked so you'll be able to unlock your $100 CPU to a $1000 one for free -- at least in the past everything has been hacked at some point :p

Old
  (#7)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970 CF @ Stock
Processor: 980X @ 4 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1866 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 12-23-2012, 09:40 | posts: 4,846 | Location: London

You could say that's case in point with mine, basically a 980X with a Xeon badge on it.

Old
  (#8)
EspHack
Maha Guru

Videocard: ATI/HD5770/1GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-980X
Mainboard: Intel DX58SO
Memory: DDR3/1600MHz/16GB/4 stick
Soundcard: ASUS XonarDX/Logitech G51
PSU: EPS Super Flower 750w
Default 12-23-2012, 15:01 | posts: 1,835

oh thank God, now our cpus will come with drm to stop piracy

Old
  (#9)
---TK---
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780Ti SC SLI/Qnix 2710
Processor: 2600k 4.5Ghz HT On
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 12-23-2012, 15:20 | posts: 18,515 | Location: New Jersey, USA

If they do BGA and LGA, I do not see a problem here.

Old
  (#10)
pimp_gimp
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
Processor: Core i7-3770k 4.5Ghz/H220
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Premium
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 12-23-2012, 16:23 | posts: 5,839 | Location: Tacoma, Washington

I thought Intel already killed the rumor and said they weren't abandoning LGA? At least for the time being.

Old
  (#11)
yelsewshane
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire VaporX 290
Processor: Intel i7 2600k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z79
Memory: Corsair 16gb ddr3
Soundcard: Yamaha Receiver 4/8 1/12
PSU: corsair 850
Default 12-24-2012, 10:56 | posts: 1,571

Great so now we can use utorrent to download unlocking features for cpus !!!! I love it bring it on intel muahahahahhaha hehe

Old
  (#12)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 12-24-2012, 17:36 | posts: 19,054 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp_gimp View Post
I thought Intel already killed the rumor and said they weren't abandoning LGA? At least for the time being.
Intel stated that only the high end ones will be socketed, they didn't say that their entire line will be socketed.

deltatux

Old
  (#13)
Black_ice_Spain
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7850 1gb @ 1120mhz
Processor: 2500K @ 4.4 / 1.28v
Mainboard: Z77P-D3
Memory: 8gb 1600 CL9
Soundcard: Xonar DG
PSU: AC Strike-X 600W
Default 12-24-2012, 17:40 | posts: 4,362 | Location: Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
The idea here is that there won't be CPU variations, just motherboard ones. CPU features will be software unlocked by paying for codes. Intel is at the point now where they can make processors at an insanely high yield. They no longer really have a need for binning.

Most people here will hate this because it's simply not what they are used to. I, on the other hand, like it. I don't think there's every been a time where I dropped a new CPU on to my older motherboard. Having the CPU integrated allows for kinds of new cooling options on both sides of the motherboard. It technically lowers the cost which should be passed to consumers. It also increases the durability of the chip as a soldered connection is obviously a lot better than just contact. It allows for all kinds of different internal designs because no longer have to worry about pin configurations. Also chances are software unlocking will be hacked so you'll be able to unlock your $100 CPU to a $1000 one for free -- at least in the past everything has been hacked at some point :p
and most important one, they get rid of crappy connectors, there have been many problems and limitations because of connectors.

Anyways if it's like you said, piracy, there we go...

Old
  (#14)
NAMEk
Master Guru

Videocard: Gainward/GTX560/2GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
Mainboard: Asus P5Q
Memory: TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX
Soundcard: Realtec ALC1200
PSU: Corsair HX520
Default 12-26-2012, 09:48 | posts: 366 | Location: Lithuania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_ice_Spain View Post
and most important one, they get rid of crappy connectors, there have been many problems and limitations because of connectors.

Anyways if it's like you said, piracy, there we go...
In my life, i have never ever had problems with CPU connectors, i had problems with RAM, pci slots because of oxidation, but not with CPU socket or pins . You stating they have limitations - please name them. If i'll accidentally burn my cpu, i'll have to use soldering instead of just easily changing, wasn't socket built for easy cpu handling? I ain't buying xbox, i'm buying computer.

Old
  (#15)
Anubis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
Processor: Q6600@3.4Ghz - CM V8
Mainboard: Asus P5Q pro -modded bios
Memory: 8gb Corsair
Soundcard: -
PSU: LC-Power Metatron 8750II
Default 12-26-2012, 14:29 | posts: 2,782 | Location: ∞

Sound like we will be idd downloading processor power soon xD

Stupid choice imho..

Old
  (#16)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 12-26-2012, 14:31 | posts: 7,123 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMEk View Post
In my life, i have never ever had problems with CPU connectors, i had problems with RAM, pci slots because of oxidation, but not with CPU socket or pins . You stating they have limitations - please name them. If i'll accidentally burn my cpu, i'll have to use soldering instead of just easily changing, wasn't socket built for easy cpu handling? I ain't buying xbox, i'm buying computer.
As far as burning your CPU goes, that's really hard to do now in days with all the throttling they have. I've run machines without coolers at all, the CPU simply shuts itself down. Also motherboards are becoming dumber and dumber. Pretty much everything is integrated onto the CPU at this point, the motherboard is basically becoming a giant switch. When this inevitable push towards integrated CPU's does come, I bet the price of the motherboard at that point will be nil. So cost wise it won't really even matter, only issue would be having to re-seat everything on the board which could be annoying but whatever. Benefits far outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Old
  (#17)
NAMEk
Master Guru

Default 12-27-2012, 10:35 | posts: 366 | Location: Lithuania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
As far as burning your CPU goes, that's really hard to do now in days with all the throttling they have. I've run machines without coolers at all, the CPU simply shuts itself down. Also motherboards are becoming dumber and dumber. Pretty much everything is integrated onto the CPU at this point, the motherboard is basically becoming a giant switch. When this inevitable push towards integrated CPU's does come, I bet the price of the motherboard at that point will be nil. So cost wise it won't really even matter, only issue would be having to re-seat everything on the board which could be annoying but whatever. Benefits far outweigh the cons in my opinion.
But do you realize how many motherboard options has to be made to allow users to choose what they need? For example i want mid-range motherboard with top of the line processor. You think they will produce these things? oh no, they will produce top of the line motherboards with top of the line processors and plus they will increase the prices instead of decreasing. Well, you'll see, nothing happens without a reason, company never ever let you save your money letting themselves losing it. If you think it's win win, i doubt it.

Old
  (#18)
CronoGraal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD6870 1GB
Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Default 12-28-2012, 02:28 | posts: 3,809 | Location: Sweden

not a big deal guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMEk View Post
But do you realize how many motherboard options has to be made to allow users to choose what they need? For example i want mid-range motherboard with top of the line processor. You think they will produce these things? oh no, they will produce top of the line motherboards with top of the line processors and plus they will increase the prices instead of decreasing. Well, you'll see, nothing happens without a reason, company never ever let you save your money letting themselves losing it. If you think it's win win, i doubt it.
Except they said their top-end CPUs will still be offered the way they are today, not soldered.

Old
  (#19)
NAMEk
Master Guru

Default 12-28-2012, 17:09 | posts: 366 | Location: Lithuania

We'll see.

Old
  (#20)
pimp_gimp
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
Processor: Core i7-3770k 4.5Ghz/H220
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Premium
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Default 01-17-2013, 16:29 | posts: 5,839 | Location: Tacoma, Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
Intel stated that only the high end ones will be socketed, they didn't say that their entire line will be socketed.

deltatux
If you read the article again, it makes it sound as if they're abandoning LGA for the whole lineup (including high end). The way its worded is a bit misleading. I already know that they're keeping LGA for the high end market, as per my quote.

Old
  (#21)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 01-17-2013, 19:39 | posts: 3,409 | Location: USA

i dont have problem with that, seeing I always hated the fact pins are now on the Motherboard and not the CPU atlest when it was on the cpu bent pin were not as huge as an issue as they are on currently (pins the go in holes vs pin that have to touch back of cpu). Though I could see this as cost ineffective for diy when the motherboard dies or is faulty and need to pay for new motherboard and cpu instead of just a motherboard

Old
  (#22)
MadGizmo
Maha Guru

Videocard: HD7970 CF (2560*1440)
Processor: i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus V Formula
Memory: 32GB 1600CL9 Vengeance LP
Soundcard: SupremeFX IV/Tiamat 7.1
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 01-17-2013, 20:31 | posts: 1,315

The idea is that Intel embraces the concept of system on a chip even more to the point that motherboard and graphics card manufacturers aren't needed anymore. Everything that once was on the MB and on the graphics card will end up on the chip. So those guys would have no way to differentiate their products. As a customer you would only have the choices what Intel offers you. So, I can understand that both consumers and the industry don't like that route.

Old
  (#23)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 01-17-2013, 20:47 | posts: 3,409 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGizmo View Post
The idea is that Intel embraces the concept of system on a chip even more to the point that motherboard and graphics card manufacturers aren't needed anymore. Everything that once was on the MB and on the graphics card will end up on the chip. So those guys would have no way to differentiate their products. As a customer you would only have the choices what Intel offers you. So, I can understand that both consumers and the industry don't like that route.
that wont happen anytime soon almost all integrated gpu on motherboard & cpu are all trash integrated gpu & dedicated gpu arnt even in the same category of performance. putting cpu and motherboard as one is realistic change not gpu.

Old
  (#24)
MadGizmo
Maha Guru

Videocard: HD7970 CF (2560*1440)
Processor: i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus V Formula
Memory: 32GB 1600CL9 Vengeance LP
Soundcard: SupremeFX IV/Tiamat 7.1
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 01-17-2013, 21:00 | posts: 1,315

One of the things MBs did was provide stable voltage. The new generation CPUs is less dependent on that, because Intel wants to move that part to the CPU. I.e., the CPU wants to have control over what it can power up or down and how it behaves, in order to shut down some parts of the CPU when not required. That will save energy for mobile devices, but it is less of an issue for the desktop CPUs we are using. And it will be one of the few things MB manufacturers were able to do. They could differentiate their products. Now those features are getting harder and harder.

Although we do see MB manufactures getting more creative, by expanding PCIe-lanes and adding high speed SATA3 ports (with the same speed as those provided by Intel). Didn't Asrock show an extreme MB during CES 2013 like that? It seems that it will be harder to differentiate, but it looks like they find a way. But it would be harder for some of them. And thus these will drop out. So Intel has to keep them alive. I think that's what the article means to say.

Also see this: Intel Haswell processor design may cause motherboard players to exit market.

The article linked by the OP was Intel's (indirect) reaction on articles like in the link above.

Last edited by MadGizmo; 01-17-2013 at 21:15.