Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - AMD - ATI
Videocards - AMD - ATI AMD Radeon graphics cards. Do you have one or want to buy one? Use this forum to discuss anything concerning products using Radeon graphics cards, CrossFireX, from Radeon 9800 to HD 6900

Sony VAIO Laptop not using AMD drivers
Old
  (#1)
Apathy_0

Videocard: ATI 7600 Series
Processor: i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 700v
Default Sony VAIO Laptop not using AMD drivers - 12-20-2012, 05:05 | posts: 3

I recently bought this new laptop with these AMD drivers however it does not want to switch to the actual AMD drivers upon Config switchable graphics so it continues to use Intel

- Model:SVE14A27CXH

AMD Radeon HD 7670M hybrid

Please help me I really wanna play using this decent card =/ It's so frustrating.

Thank you

ATI Cataclyst refuses to apply itself from the actual site saying It's not compatible so Is there anyway out of this or am I stuck?

Old
  (#2)
Fox2232
Maha Guru

Videocard: Accelero7970 1125/1500MHz
Processor: i5-2500k@4.5GHz NH-D14
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-GD80[g3]
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz 9,9,9,24
Soundcard: Essence ST / AKG K-701
PSU: FSP Gold series 750W
Default 12-20-2012, 18:37 | posts: 1,420 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

Sony asked AMD not to provide support for their notebooks. You can use modified drivers or add your GPU into inf of drivers, but switchable solutions may have problems if Sony used something extra or out of standard specifications.

Sorry to tell you, Sony releases drivers only rarely and drops support for notebooks pretty fast to force people to get new models.

My advice is, if it does not work out of box with original Sony drivers, return it and get something what works.

Old
  (#3)
mmicrosysm
Master Guru

Videocard: Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
Processor: Cyrix 133 MHz
Mainboard: OEM
Memory: 8MB FPM DRAM
Soundcard: Sound Blaster 16
PSU: 150 Watt AT
Default 12-20-2012, 19:17 | posts: 708 | Location: Tonawanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2232 View Post
Sony asked AMD not to provide support for their notebooks. You can use modified drivers or add your GPU into inf of drivers, but switchable solutions may have problems if Sony used something extra or out of standard specifications.

Sorry to tell you, Sony releases drivers only rarely and drops support for notebooks pretty fast to force people to get new models.

My advice is, if it does not work out of box with original Sony drivers, return it and get something what works.
Yep sounds like typical Sony support to me LOL

Old
  (#4)
Apathy_0

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 12-21-2012, 04:05 | posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox2232 View Post

Arg what was the point of adding AMD cards THAT DON'T WORK on the computer n.n

Is it possible if you can find the drivers for me? The only time I've ever been doing the driver thing was the ati catalyst and obviously that doesn't work.

PS I really appreciate this.

Old
  (#5)
Fox2232
Maha Guru

Videocard: Accelero7970 1125/1500MHz
Processor: i5-2500k@4.5GHz NH-D14
Mainboard: MSI Z68A-GD80[g3]
Memory: 4x4GB 1600MHz 9,9,9,24
Soundcard: Essence ST / AKG K-701
PSU: FSP Gold series 750W
Default 12-21-2012, 13:05 | posts: 1,420 | Location: EU, CZ, Brno

Since it's Windows 8 netbook, it's not so easy to force driver on them.
Here is official Sony driver page: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...d#/downloadTab

Weird enough some drivers marked as "UPDATE" have older date than drivers marked as "Original".

If you can't return device I would make sure you have all updated versions of drivers and software.
If that does not work I would go for "Original" versions of software.
And if even that fails I would use restore partition to get default system state.

To test it you can use two instances of GPU-Z, first for intel and second for AMD chip. Go to sensor tab and start game. If it shows utilization on intel only it's still broken.

Now there may be catch... As Virtu for desktops, notebook may use similar application to detect games and activate/switch to dedicated GPU. In some cases it does not detect game. This application may be able to set AMD chip as primary somewhere in settings.

On driver page there are 2 packages for Graphics. Both are version 8.982.6.0.
1st is 473MB and update is 398MB. I think that it may be necessary to install whole original package and without uninstalling "update" with second package.
As size difference is too big for exactly same driver version and Sony may have removed some crucial part of package.

Last resort may be disabling intel chip to force AMD as only dog in the house. It will probably increase power consumption a bit. And it may cause netbook to start without GPU = Black Screen upon boot even while sound is working. Be ready to restore system state or whole system drive from backup partition.

Do not trust that device too much. Before you start you may do your own backup of system partition to USB/DVD to be on safe side.

Old
  (#6)
Apathy_0

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 12-21-2012, 23:41 | posts: 3

So you want me to grab the original drivers from that page?