Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

AMD to remove auto update feature from Catalyst drivers
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default AMD to remove auto update feature from Catalyst drivers - 12-19-2012, 09:53 | posts: 20,774 | Location: Guru3D testlab

AMD will remove the automated driver update feature from Catalyst drivers in 2013, typically when a new driver is out you get a notification and will be directed to*the download page. Now I haven'...

AMD to remove auto update feature from Catalyst drivers

Old
  (#2)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 290 GAMING TF 4GB
Processor: FX-8350 @ 4.9GHz / H100i
Mainboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula
Memory: 12GB 2133 G.Skill
Soundcard: 5.1 Surround
PSU: Corsair TX950
Default 12-19-2012, 09:55 | posts: 6,079 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Never use it anyway and always update before it notifies me

Old
  (#3)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 12-19-2012, 09:57 | posts: 6,663 | Location: Dubai

That's not good for users who can't be bothered to find out about newer drivers ... that's a lot of them.

Old
  (#4)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 12-19-2012, 10:10 | posts: 6,079 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
That's not good for users who can't be bothered to find out about newer drivers ... that's a lot of them.

If they don't know about new drivers, they probably don't need them

Old
  (#5)
Ven0m
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 680 D2CU TOP
Processor: i7 920 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 12GB Patriot Viper
Soundcard: Xonar D2X>Custom amp>K712
PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Default 12-19-2012, 10:13 | posts: 1,413 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
If they don't know about new drivers, they probably don't need them
It's not that easy... on one hand you have a lot of users who just have their computers and browse the web. They will probably skip the update / ignore it / call some tech guy if such popup appears. There are also gamers who don't know much about computers, drivers etc and ... auto-update was giving them good performance.

Old
  (#6)
warlord
Master Guru

Videocard: amd 7850 cf
Processor: i7 3770k @4.8 HT
Mainboard: Msi Mpower Z77
Memory: 32gb ddr3 geil evo
Soundcard: creative
PSU: ax1200i corsair
Default 12-19-2012, 10:13 | posts: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
lets wait for windows update then...sorry but noob users are not gamers neither power users, so driver update is not important or critical for their every day use.

Old
  (#7)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 12-19-2012, 10:13 | posts: 6,663 | Location: Dubai

No I mean about issues with video games or newer media players. How often do we see users complaining about issues which could be easily fixed with a driver update? It's a great feature for them and even potentially reduces support time.

Old
  (#8)
warlord
Master Guru

Videocard: amd 7850 cf
Processor: i7 3770k @4.8 HT
Mainboard: Msi Mpower Z77
Memory: 32gb ddr3 geil evo
Soundcard: creative
PSU: ax1200i corsair
Default 12-19-2012, 10:18 | posts: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
It's not that easy... on one hand you have a lot of users who just have their computers and browse the web. They will probably skip the update / ignore it / call some tech guy if such popup appears. There are also gamers who don't know much about computers, drivers etc and ... auto-update was giving them good performance.
these are not gamers are noobs...the pro gamer, does know how to OC, how to build a new rig, how to configure it properly to play smoothlike...so...these newbies wannabe gamers do not need newest drivers also...

Old
  (#9)
NAMEk
Master Guru

Videocard: Gainward/GTX560/2GB
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
Mainboard: Asus P5Q
Memory: TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX
Soundcard: Realtec ALC1200
PSU: Corsair HX520
Default 12-19-2012, 10:48 | posts: 361 | Location: Lithuania

Yep, i never ever installed something like that with drivers.

Old
  (#10)
suture
Master Guru

Videocard: Asus GTX 570
Processor: Intel I7 2600k
Mainboard: Asus P8P67Evo
Memory: 12Gb DDR3 HyperX
Soundcard: OnBoard
PSU: 620W
Default 12-19-2012, 11:45 | posts: 195 | Location: PT

I dont really know how exactly automated driver update in Catalyst drivers works but, IMO it should notify the user if a new stable version is available, checking it at least once a month./week.
And ofc give the link to the oficial site bla bla bla.

Not having that, it hurts the PC "user friendly" reputation even more.

Old
  (#11)
BlackZero
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 7970 OC
Processor: 2600K H2O
Mainboard: Asus P67 Pro
Memory: G.Skill 2133
Soundcard: X-Fi + 2400ES
PSU: Corsair AX850
Default 12-19-2012, 14:32 | posts: 8,111 | Location: United Kingdom

I have never used that feature and I turn off all the web related features after installing a new driver. The more experienced users or those having problems will look for updated drivers anyway.

I would also be very grateful if AMD removed all the 'video enhancements' too, it's a real chore having to manually disable every single one of them on every driver install. If I don't, the enhancements, if I have to call them that, make HD video look like a blurry over saturated mess.

Edit:

It's due to a security exploit. The feature might be re-instated after they have a fix. Not that I will miss it that much.

Last edited by BlackZero; 12-19-2012 at 14:37.

Old
  (#12)
ASLayerAODsk
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x R9 280x Gb/His
Processor: Intel i7 4820k 3.7/3.9 WC
Mainboard: Asus P9X79LE
Memory: DDR3 16G Patriot 1600
Soundcard: XonarSTX/NAD7120/B&WDM610
PSU: CMaster SilentPro 1Kw
Default 12-19-2012, 15:42 | posts: 690 | Location: Canada

everytime I see 'noob gamers' I think of some nerdy person playing CoD..lulz!

Old
  (#13)
General Stalin
Master Guru

Videocard: HIS HD6990 3x24" AOC2436
Processor: 2600k@4.6Ghz Watercooled
Mainboard: MSI P67A-GD65(B3)
Memory: 4GB DDR3 G.Skill 6-8-6-24
Soundcard: Logitech z5500 5.1 500w
PSU: Tt "Black Widow" 850watt
Default 12-19-2012, 17:01 | posts: 192 | Location: Massachusetts

Whatever; Windows Update will find them for you regardless and put them under "Optional Updates" when it's ready to download and install.

I don't know about you all, but I remember when you bought/built a gaming rig and you cared about taking care of your hardware, you would keep current on hardware news or at least visit the ATI/Nvidia downloads page once in a while to check if there are new versions...

Besides, how often do all of you install new audio drivers, chipset drivers, BIOS updates, or firmware? Most all other pieces of hardware in your computer does not check online and prompt you when new updates are available; you are responsible for keeping your gear maintained. This "auto-update" thing for video card drivers is a relatively new thing so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me that they get rid of it. A lot of serious users will check out the driver performance and reviews before installing anyway.

Old
  (#14)
Rich_Guy
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSi Gaming 290X 1080/1300
Processor: i7 920 D0
Mainboard: Biostar Tpower x58
Memory: 6GB Corsair DDR3
Soundcard: Xonar DX - Logi. X-530s
PSU: Corsair AX860w
Default 12-19-2012, 17:20 | posts: 8,828 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
Never use it anyway and always update before it notifies me
Same

Old
  (#15)
mcfart
Master Guru

Videocard: HD 5970
Processor: 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS PZ68-V-Pro
Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek
PSU: Corsair 750M
Default 12-19-2012, 23:15 | posts: 170

I like auto-update. It is like a way of AMD/NVIDIA saying that there's no need to uninstall old drivers before installing the new ones.

Plus, what's wrong with autoupdate? I'm sure you've all lapsed in checking their sites for updates and then realizing those beta drivers you were using were made official a month ago, with a slew of other fixes.

There's no disadvantage to it telling you there's a new driver.

Old
  (#16)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru

Videocard: SLI TITAN SC @ 1097/3105
Processor: i7 980x 4.3 Ghz 1.35 v
Mainboard: EVGA X58 E758
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Dom 2000
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 12-19-2012, 23:25 | posts: 3,509 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
these are not gamers are noobs...the pro gamer, does know how to OC, how to build a new rig, how to configure it properly to play smoothlike...so...these newbies wannabe gamers do not need newest drivers also...
Those 'noobs's which you once were, are the vast majority of the user base.
Pro gamer? Who on this board is actually PAID to play games. You?

Old
  (#17)
Extraordinary
Ancient Guru

Default 12-19-2012, 23:37 | posts: 6,079 | Location: 127.0.0.1

Quote:

The way I see it, if you don't know how to update your drivers, you won't see any performance issues

We all see tiny little issues because we're all tech heads, the average joe wouldn't see a bus if it hit them in the face

Old
  (#18)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 19 inch flat screen
Processor: 500 gigabyte cpu, FAST!?
Mainboard: The case is black
Memory: Ram? Male sheep?
Soundcard: Sound card? Like a CD?
PSU: duh, wall socket
Default 12-20-2012, 00:21 | posts: 5,640 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

This is good news for me, I disabled the update notifications, and it still popped up every week or so.

Old
  (#19)
nick0323
Master Guru

Videocard: GTX 670 Windforce 3X
Processor: i5 2500k / 4.5GHz @1.275v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68 V-Pro Gen 3
Memory: Corsair Ven 2x4GB 1866MHz
Soundcard: Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
PSU: Corsair CX750M
Default 12-20-2012, 02:15 | posts: 535 | Location: Old England

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHemi View Post
Those 'noobs's which you once were, are the vast majority of the user base.
Pro gamer? Who on this board is actually PAID to play games. You?
Think me means pro noob

Old
  (#20)
Mineria
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB ACX
Processor: Intel i7 4770K
Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
Memory: 32G G.Skill TridentX
Soundcard: Asus Phoebus
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000 G2
Default 12-20-2012, 03:10 | posts: 3,060 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
lets wait for windows update then...sorry but noob users are not gamers neither power users, so driver update is not important or critical for their every day use.
Aha, think again, they might have something performing like crap without knowing that it is driver related.

Quote:
Some pro gamers do build and update themselves you know, not all of them are complete newbies at hard and software.
I have 2 friends that both played as sponsor payed professionals, one of them does know a lot about building pc's while the other needs help with upgrades/updates for his rigs.
So it varies, but sure, go ahead and keep putting people in boxes :p

Last edited by Mineria; 12-20-2012 at 03:17.

Old
  (#21)
Ven0m
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 680 D2CU TOP
Processor: i7 920 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 12GB Patriot Viper
Soundcard: Xonar D2X>Custom amp>K712
PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Default 12-20-2012, 10:38 | posts: 1,413 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

Quote:
To be honest, so-called pro gamers are only a small fraction of all players, and even people who are good at playing games may lack or even not need the knowledge about the computer hardware or software. I know players don't even open settings screen in games.

Many games run really bad with older drivers, eg Hawken with old NV drivers or generally most of the games with old AMD drivers.

I can spend some time on picking hardware, overclocking it, fine-tuning settings to keep stable 60fps at max quality possible, no jitter, etc, but many people don't want to spend so much time and have other things to do than learning about tweaking computers and game settings, so computers should be accessible for them while leaving some extra headroom for tweakers.

I wouldn't call someone a noob because they can't set up their computer/game properly and the vendors failed to provide quality autoconfig. Times when you had to pick which model of Sound Blaster card you had have passed.

In my opinion there should be 2 auto-upgrade paths that you can pick when installing:
1. Non-gamer - get only the critical updates
2. Gamer - the latest bleeding edge stuff

Old
  (#22)
bikemanAMD

Videocard: Radeon 6530D
Processor: AMD A6-3620
Mainboard: HP P6-2133W
Memory: 8gb DDR3
Soundcard: IDT High Definition Audio
PSU: 300 Watt PSU
Default 12-20-2012, 18:35 | posts: 11 | Location: Michigan

I Personally myself manually update drivers when needed, or if has a fix for program I use in it. Plus maintain family PC's, so I consider myself intermediate skill level Computer wise. I may not know every single thing to do, but I do my best to learn and figure it all out

Old
  (#23)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 12-20-2012, 18:45 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
To be honest, so-called pro gamers are only a small fraction of all players, and even people who are good at playing games may lack or even not need the knowledge about the computer hardware or software. I know players don't even open settings screen in games.

Many games run really bad with older drivers, eg Hawken with old NV drivers or generally most of the games with old AMD drivers.

I can spend some time on picking hardware, overclocking it, fine-tuning settings to keep stable 60fps at max quality possible, no jitter, etc, but many people don't want to spend so much time and have other things to do than learning about tweaking computers and game settings, so computers should be accessible for them while leaving some extra headroom for tweakers.

I wouldn't call someone a noob because they can't set up their computer/game properly and the vendors failed to provide quality autoconfig. Times when you had to pick which model of Sound Blaster card you had have passed.

In my opinion there should be 2 auto-upgrade paths that you can pick when installing:
1. Non-gamer - get only the critical updates
2. Gamer - the latest bleeding edge stuff
Honestly, you're right, but it isn't worth the effort. Of course there are people who do not know a thing about drivers, or settings, or that updating them can help with gaming.

But you can't tell most of these people that. They live in a world where everyone either has their skills, their use cases, their preferences, their knowledge. And for those who don't, well they're hillbillies and probably don't game anyway.

Design games, drivers, hardware, and operating systems for people like me because literally no one else exists.