Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Ubuntu accused of being “Spyware”
Old
  (#1)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default Ubuntu accused of being “Spyware” - 12-10-2012, 19:00 | posts: 3,468 | Location: UK

Quote:
Richard Stallman accuses Canonical of spying on Ubuntu users.
Canonical, the company behind the wildly popular Ubuntu distro is under siege from Free Software Foundation president Richard Stallman. Stallman has accused Canonical of spying on users, and oddly enough, they aren’t even denying it. In fact, they even admit plans are in the works to expand their efforts in upcoming releases.
The complaint Stallman has highlighted in particular is a controversial new feature introduced in Ubuntu 12.10 that combines a user’s local desktop search, with results from Amazon.
"When the user searches her own local files for a string using the Ubuntu desktop, Ubuntu sends that string to one of Canonical's servers. … Ubuntu uses the information about searches to show the user ads to buy various things from Amazon."

If a user goes through and makes a purchase, Amazon provides Canonical with a cut in the form of an affiliate fee. Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth has defended the decision on his blog, but is facing mounting criticism from users who are used to getting a free OS with no strings attached.
It’s a simple matter to disable the feature, but Stallman doesn’t think users should accept this as the solution.
“Ubuntu allows users to switch the surveillance off. Clearly Canonical thinks that many Ubuntu users will leave this setting in the default state (on). And many may do so, because it doesn't occur to them to try to do anything about it. Thus, the existence of that switch does not make the surveillance feature ok.”
Would this bother people enough that they wouldn't use Linux in future?

Old
  (#2)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: KFA2 Anarchy 580@930/4650
Processor: 2500K @ 4.5GHz - blew it!
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
Memory: 8G Kngston 2.2GHz CL11 1T
Soundcard: Minimax+ & Dexa Opamps !!
PSU: Corsair Pro AX750
Default 12-10-2012, 19:14 | posts: 9,769 | Location: UK

Well yeah, that particular branch if they cant be trusted.
They deserve a veto simply for doing that.
Its the Facebook effect, see what you can get away with.

Old
  (#3)
Brasky
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780 SC
Processor: i5-3570K
Mainboard: AsRock Z77e-ITX
Memory: G-Skill Sniper 2133 16gb
Soundcard: Littering and...?
PSU: Silverstone 450
Default 12-10-2012, 19:17 | posts: 1,749 | Location: BBQ Capital of the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflore View Post
Well yeah, that particular branch if they cant be trusted.
They deserve a veto simply for doing that.
Its the Facebook effect, see what you can get away with.
and the answer is a LOT... you can get away with a whole lot of very questionable stuff.

Old
  (#4)
Tat3
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX480 w/ 244T
Processor: i7 920 @ 4,4GHz | Water
Mainboard: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
Memory: 3*2Gb 8-8-8-20 @ 1680MHz
Soundcard: UA-55 -> 2*Genelec 8030B
PSU: Defo not modular (TX950W)
Default 12-10-2012, 19:35 | posts: 11,305 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
Would this bother people enough that they wouldn't use Linux in future?
Perhaps not Linux, but Ubuntu as (AFAIK) other distros dont have this kind of stuff.

Old
  (#5)
Ven0m
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 680 D2CU TOP
Processor: i7 920 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 12GB Patriot Viper
Soundcard: Xonar D2X>Custom amp>K712
PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Default 12-10-2012, 19:57 | posts: 1,503 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

Ubuntu used to be ok, but it's heading in a wrong direction.

As already stated, there are a lot of great distros around, like Gentoo, Arch, Slackware, or others. Pick any you'd like.

Old
  (#6)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.5GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 12-10-2012, 20:09 | posts: 6,918 | Location: Dubai

Mint ftw! The Linux using crowd isn't the type that takes this lightly, what were they thinking .. lol.

Old
  (#7)
Andrés
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
Processor: Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5E
Memory: 4x1Gb Kingston DDR2 667
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium
PSU: CM Silent Pro M700
Default 12-11-2012, 04:57 | posts: 4,527 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

I don't see what's all the fuss about. People should be grateful, not complain about this. If you don't like the Amazon features, you run a simple command and voila, they are gone. It is thanks to Shuttleworth that Ubuntu got to be such a big distro and the one that put Linux on the PCs of average non-nerd people, for FREE. Why should he continue offering it for free anyway?. People are being disrespectful.

Old
  (#8)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Default 12-11-2012, 05:10 | posts: 9,769 | Location: UK

He shouldnt sneakily do this.

If he must do it, it should be an option.
It should be presented to the user with a good description before they start using Ubuntu, so they can make an informed choice.

Last edited by Mufflore; 12-11-2012 at 05:12.

Old
  (#9)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Go!
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 12-11-2012, 05:52 | posts: 16,632 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés View Post
I don't see what's all the fuss about. People should be grateful, not complain about this. If you don't like the Amazon features, you run a simple command and voila, they are gone. It is thanks to Shuttleworth that Ubuntu got to be such a big distro and the one that put Linux on the PCs of average non-nerd people, for FREE. Why should he continue offering it for free anyway?. People are being disrespectful.
Linux has always been available for free.... Canonical didn't do ****.. Slackware, Damn Small Linux, OpenSuSE, FreeBSD....all existed before Ubuntu and all FREE. This stupid **** will do nothing but hurt Linux. Hell, there was even the "Lindows PC" before Ubuntu where you could buy the computer with Linux pre-installed for $200USD.

Old
  (#10)
Mikedogg
Banned

Videocard: Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 720QM
Mainboard: Dell studio 1747
Memory: 4GB DDR3
Soundcard: IDT JBL SRS Premium Sound
PSU: 130Watt Adapter
Default 12-11-2012, 06:02 | posts: 2,865 | Location: The Freak Show - Earth.

And this is any different to what windows 8 is doing, how?

Anyway, they have to finance themselves somehow or they wouldn't be doing it.

Old
  (#11)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 19 inch flat screen
Processor: 500 gigabyte cpu, FAST!?
Mainboard: The case is black
Memory: Ram? Male sheep?
Soundcard: Sound card? Like a CD?
PSU: duh, wall socket
Default 12-11-2012, 06:23 | posts: 5,632 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

Mufflore, for all we know it could be in one of those agreements no one ever reads.

That said, i agree it should be more open though.
In other words, people be presented with the option to have it turned off, instead of having to look for it.
I wouldn't consider it a problem, Just as i don't consider the ads on guru3d to be a problem. Though i'll admit the adwords when reading news are a little overkill, 4-5 per paragraph, where even passing the mouse over one, starts a video.. those need to go. OR at least require a click to open.

But I have to ask, are these amazon ads being shown while just using the OS like on the side of the file manager? or do they only show when you load browsers that support ads from amazon? If the first, then it's a super big problem. If the second, not a problem.

Old
  (#12)
Parabola
Banned

Videocard: 82945G Express Chipset
Processor: Conroe E4500@2.4GHz-1.2V
Mainboard: Jetway 945GCM2S-A2
Memory: Hynix 1GB DDR2-667@369Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek ALC662
PSU: Generic 450W
Default 12-11-2012, 06:47 | posts: 282 | Location: Northern India

Companies need money to function. Ubuntu didn't cost money the last time i checked. They should provide an option asking the user if they want to use that feature..? But tell me, if they do that, how many of you will actually leave the feature turned on?

That's right, no one.

Old
  (#13)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Default 12-11-2012, 07:03 | posts: 9,769 | Location: UK

Yep, that spells it out really, it isnt wanted by anyone.
He should raise cash in another way.
As you say, voluntary donations. He can run a publicity scheme to let people know the predicament and appeal to them, rather than abusing them.

Old
  (#14)
mcfart
Master Guru

Videocard: HD 5970
Processor: 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS PZ68-V-Pro
Memory: 8GB Corsair DDR3
Soundcard: Realtek
PSU: Corsair 750M
Default 12-11-2012, 07:40 | posts: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflore View Post
Yep, that spells it out really, it isnt wanted by anyone.
He should raise cash in another way.
As you say, voluntary donations. He can run a publicity scheme to let people know the predicament and appeal to them, rather than abusing them.
It already asks you to donate when you download Ubuntu...

Old
  (#15)
Cyberdyne
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX760 ACX 1241/3139
Processor: i7 4770K @4.4GHz CLW0222
Mainboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Memory: Vengeance 2x8GB @1600
Soundcard: Logitech G430 + FiiO E6
PSU: CORSAIR tx750w
Default 12-11-2012, 07:48 | posts: 2,169 | Location: USA, Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
Linux has always been available for free.... Canonical didn't do ****.. Slackware, Damn Small Linux, OpenSuSE, FreeBSD....all existed before Ubuntu and all FREE. This stupid **** will do nothing but hurt Linux. Hell, there was even the "Lindows PC" before Ubuntu where you could buy the computer with Linux pre-installed for $200USD.
Yeah I don't know where people get that thought from. There is nothing to be grateful over. The software itself is illegal to make a distro to sell retail.
If you think about it, information collecting is done ultimately to make money. Donations are different, there is no direct trade of money, you can donate and not use the product, or use it and not donate (obviously).
Maybe whats going on here is almost illegal. Under that GNU/whatever software release thing. This stuff makes my brain hurt.

Last edited by Cyberdyne; 12-11-2012 at 07:51.

Old
  (#16)
k1net1cs
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
Processor: Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz
Mainboard: Sony VAIO VPCEA16FG
Memory: 2x4GB CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar U3
PSU: n/a
Default 12-11-2012, 07:50 | posts: 3,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouji View Post
But I have to ask, are these amazon ads being shown while just using the OS like on the side of the file manager? or do they only show when you load browsers that support ads from amazon?
It's neither.
The first guess is a closer one, though.

The crux of the problem here is the Home Lens universal search on Unity Dash.
It basically shows product suggestions from Amazon while you're searching for things either locally or online.
The problem is, this means your searching keyword(s) gets sent to Canonical and Amazon's servers without any user consent.

Quote:
It is thanks to Shuttleworth that Ubuntu got to be such a big distro and the one that put Linux on the PCs of average non-nerd people, for FREE. Why should he continue offering it for free anyway?
Sense.
You're not making any.

Ubuntu is just "Debian made easy".
Before Ubuntu, there were many big name GNU/Linux distro offerings for free.
Anyone could put any distro on any non-nerd people's computers for FREE without Ubuntu.

Quote:
People are being disrespectful.
And you're being gullible.
Shuttleworth isn't promoting FOSS, he's promoting Ubuntu.
End of story.

Interested in folding with fellow gurus? Click here to get you started!

Old
  (#17)
alanm
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI TF GTX 770
Processor: i5-3570k
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB Zx
PSU: XFX Pro 750w
Default 12-11-2012, 10:14 | posts: 5,593

I think all pissed off ubuntu users should band together and type 'butthole gape' a 100 times a day in the Home Lens search to throw them off.

Old
  (#18)
naike
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus EAH5870
Processor: Phenom II x4 965BE
Mainboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Memory: 4GB OCZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar ST & HD555's
PSU: Antec Quattro 850W
Default 12-11-2012, 10:39 | posts: 2,021

I'm not using Ubuntu or unity, but a fork of Ubuntu so this doesn't concern me that much tbh.
But this like goes against everything what linux means to me, I can't believe this is where Ubuntu is going...
I think Ubuntu as a name is also taking a lot of heat just for its utterly crap Unity, which is pretty misleading. Even OP thinks Ubuntu = all of linux, just imagine what most of the people think of linux now after Ubuntu did this retarded move with Unity. My point is that by doing this, even though it's only a desktop environment, the whole linux thing is getting bad influence/a bad image...

Quote:
The WHOLE point of linux is it being free and open source, you should really read about linux before you post BS. Also, it's not like Ubuntu is the first major distro that is known and has made linux more popular, OpenSUSE for example.

Last edited by naike; 12-11-2012 at 10:47.

Old
  (#19)
Ghosty
Ancient Guru

Videocard: -
Processor: -
Mainboard: -
Memory: -
Soundcard: -
PSU: -
Default 12-11-2012, 12:24 | posts: 3,468 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by naike View Post
I'm not using Ubuntu or unity, but a fork of Ubuntu so this doesn't concern me that much tbh.
But this like goes against everything what linux means to me, I can't believe this is where Ubuntu is going...
I think Ubuntu as a name is also taking a lot of heat just for its utterly crap Unity, which is pretty misleading. Even OP thinks Ubuntu = all of linux, just imagine what most of the people think of linux now after Ubuntu did this retarded move with Unity. My point is that by doing this, even though it's only a desktop environment, the whole linux thing is getting bad influence/a bad image...

The WHOLE point of linux is it being free and open source, you should really read about linux before you post BS. Also, it's not like Ubuntu is the first major distro that is known and has made linux more popular, OpenSUSE for example.
Ubuntu has been the only distro I've used so far. With it being one of the most popular, which was one of the reason's I started this thread. Personally it will make me look at different variations of Linux because of this.

Old
  (#20)
alanm
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI TF GTX 770
Processor: i5-3570k
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB Zx
PSU: XFX Pro 750w
Default 12-11-2012, 13:09 | posts: 5,593

Top 3 distros are Mint, Magea then Ubuntu in terms of user interest (hits per day) according to distrowatch. I've tried most of the top 10 and found mint the most polished, best for my purposes.

Old
  (#21)
naike
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus EAH5870
Processor: Phenom II x4 965BE
Mainboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Memory: 4GB OCZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar ST & HD555's
PSU: Antec Quattro 850W
Default 12-11-2012, 13:31 | posts: 2,021

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
Top 3 distros are Mint, Magea then Ubuntu in terms of user interest (hits per day) according to distrowatch. I've tried most of the top 10 and found mint the most polished, best for my purposes.
Same here, I also find mint to be the best for my use, it's so easy since it's basically ubuntu underneath (for software and guides etc.)
I've tried soo many distros and mint just seems the only choice.

Old
  (#22)
k1net1cs
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
Processor: Intel Core i5-520M 2.4GHz
Mainboard: Sony VAIO VPCEA16FG
Memory: 2x4GB CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar U3
PSU: n/a
Default 12-12-2012, 09:18 | posts: 3,714

Before Ubuntu, I regularly used Mandriva (formerly known as Mandrake).
If there was anything close to Windows' looks & usability (apart from the obvious lack of native Windows programs), that'd probably be it.
After Unity showed up, I promptly moving to Mint, and that's all I use these days for general desktop usage.

Mint has started selling mintBoxes & bundled systems for months.
These guys actually know other ways to get funding without literally selling their own customer base out.

Interested in folding with fellow gurus? Click here to get you started!

Old
  (#23)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi Go!
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 12-12-2012, 12:42 | posts: 16,632 | Location: US East Coast

The company formerly known as Lindows and Linspire sold their own computer bundles too. Pretty cheap at $200. Now they're owned by Xandros.

Mandrake offered what was probably the easiest way for people to get into Linux with their "Lin4Win".

Old
  (#24)
bioCor3
Member Guru

Videocard: Windforce 670GTX
Processor: 3770K@4.6
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 16GB Vengeneance LP
Soundcard: Creative Zx Z906
PSU: Corsair 850
Default 12-13-2012, 04:21 | posts: 79

Debian has always been free and to think that Ubuntu would try a scheme like this is truly terrible. Debian is much better than Ubuntu and actually does the job of getting people to learn how their operating system works, allowing them to greatly develop their skills.

The move to make operating systems remove most user control and access from the underlying system will leave many technically illiterate which in the long term will work against the interests of software developers and users alike. A future in which an ever decreasing number of people actually understand how software works creates a dangerous precedent where many will increasingly lose control over certain aspects of their life and how their own personal information and privacy is handled.

It was free software and the initial learning curve that got many interested in developing their own software. If you never learn basics like to customise your kernel and optimise your build for your hardware or use a terminal then you can hardly call yourself an experienced user. If you don't have control over what information leaves your terminal then someone else has.