Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
So I need a new mouse...suggestions?
Old
  (#1)
Cartman372
Maha Guru
 
Cartman372's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 680 FTW+ 1280/7200
Processor: i5-3570K TR TRUE Black
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Memory: mushkin 32GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Onboard + Creative 2.1
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Default So I need a new mouse...suggestions? - 12-05-2012, 20:25 | posts: 975 | Location: Newton, NJ

Basically, I'm looking for a new mouse, but I can't really find anything that I like that also won't break in 6 months.

I had an MX Revolution a couple years ago, most comfortable mouse I've ever had, but I left that one with my Mom and now I can't find a replacement.

I've been considering the Logitech Performance MX, but every single review I read says that it starts double clicking in a short amount of time. I hear laser issues with some of the higher end Logitechs.

Only other mouse I've tried is a friends Logitech G400, but it's just not comfortable for me, I think I've gotten too used to holding the MX Revolution (before that I had a Logitech Trackman)


TL;DR: What's a good mouse for under $85, preferably wireless, with comfort of the MX Revolution.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
naike
Maha Guru
 
naike's Avatar
 
Videocard: Asus EAH5870
Processor: Phenom II x4 965BE
Mainboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Memory: 4GB OCZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar ST & HD555's
PSU: Antec Quattro 850W
Default 12-05-2012, 20:42 | posts: 2,013

I've been pleased with my 2 Razer mice.
Before that I had a Logitech G7, which was wireless.

I'd say go wireless if you absolutely must, I see no added benefit with wireless mice.
The Logitech I had was very good, it had a loading station which came with 2 batteries, so it wasn't a real hassle when the batteries ran out, just popped the charged one in in a few seconds. However, after some time, I would have to switch batteries 1-3 times a day. The connection was very good, no issues there.

Anyway, my point is, I've had wired mice after my G7 and I prefer them over wireless, simply because I can just plug it in and use it. No need for batteries or any type of BS, and the cable really doesn't matter at all, at least not with Razer mice.
On the comfort side, one of the most comfortable and best mice I've used was the Razer Deathadder.

Seems I'm a little too gaming focused here but that's the only thing I really consider when buying a mouse, because they will perform very well in other situations as well (the occasional graphics editing and stuff).
I heard something about the new Razer drivers being cloud based or some other BS like that so you might want to check up on that.

Last edited by naike; 12-05-2012 at 20:44.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru
 
Mufflore's Avatar
 
Videocard: KFA2 Anarchy 580@930/4650
Processor: 2500K @ 4.5GHz - blew it!
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
Memory: 8G Kngston 2.2GHz CL11 1T
Soundcard: Minimax+ & Dexa Opamps !!
PSU: Corsair Pro AX750
Default 12-05-2012, 20:55 | posts: 9,776 | Location: UK

After a TON of deliberation, I bought a Steelseries Sensei Pro.
Awesome mouse, very configurable and very hi res.
It has its own LCD on the bottom to recall different configs from its memory and you can even program your own using the LCD only.
There is a button on top that allows you to quickly change DPI between 2 settings, each config lets you set this up independently.

The shape is excellent, a very relaxed hand position and it can be used with both hands if you wear one out
The lighting is fully configurable (3 different RGB light zones) and the gold/silver look is ace.

If you want more choices, check out the mouse poll thats still running:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=361196
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Mraz
Master Guru
 
Mraz's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX TITAN@1202
Processor: FX-6300 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1.6Ghz C8
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DG
PSU: Corsair GS 800Watt series
Default 12-05-2012, 21:00 | posts: 613 | Location: Croatia

If you are more of a MMO player go with Razer Naga, if you are not then go with something like Cyborg R.A.T. 7
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
Cartman372
Maha Guru
 
Cartman372's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 680 FTW+ 1280/7200
Processor: i5-3570K TR TRUE Black
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Memory: mushkin 32GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Onboard + Creative 2.1
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Default 12-05-2012, 21:06 | posts: 975 | Location: Newton, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by naike View Post
I've been pleased with my 2 Razer mice.
Before that I had a Logitech G7, which was wireless.

I'd say go wireless if you absolutely must, I see no added benefit with wireless mice.
The Logitech I had was very good, it had a loading station which came with 2 batteries, so it wasn't a real hassle when the batteries ran out, just popped the charged one in in a few seconds. However, after some time, I would have to switch batteries 1-3 times a day. The connection was very good, no issues there.

Anyway, my point is, I've had wired mice after my G7 and I prefer them over wireless, simply because I can just plug it in and use it. No need for batteries or any type of BS, and the cable really doesn't matter at all, at least not with Razer mice.
On the comfort side, one of the most comfortable and best mice I've used was the Razer Deathadder.

Seems I'm a little too gaming focused here but that's the only thing I really consider when buying a mouse, because they will perform very well in other situations as well (the occasional graphics editing and stuff).
I heard something about the new Razer drivers being cloud based or some other BS like that so you might want to check up on that.
Well I have no problem with batteries as I get about 1.5-2 months on a single AA in my current Logitech wireless mouse.

Sounds like the batteries in your mouse completely died, which I assume you left the batteries charging for way too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufflore View Post
After a TON of deliberation, I bought a Steelseries Sensei Pro.
Awesome mouse, very configurable and very hi res.
It has its own LCD on the bottom to recall different configs from its memory and you can even program your own using the LCD only.
There is a button on top that allows you to quickly change DPI between 2 settings, each config lets you set this up independently.

The shape is excellent, a very relaxed hand position and it can be used with both hands if you wear one out
The lighting is fully configurable (3 different RGB light zones) and the gold/silver look is ace.

If you want more choices, check out the mouse poll thats still running:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=361196
I'll have to check out that mouse.

Thanks for the link!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
DSparil
Ancient Guru
 
DSparil's Avatar
 
Videocard: HIS 7870 IceQ GHz 2GB
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.3 w/YASYA
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97
Memory: 8GB G.Skill 1866
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: TT Toughpower XT 675
Default 12-05-2012, 21:57 | posts: 2,845 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Are you a claw or palm grip user?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
eclap
Ancient Guru
 
eclap's Avatar
 
Videocard: HD7950 CFX + Qnix QX2710
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: SB Z/Aune T1/AD700/DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 12-05-2012, 23:06 | posts: 24,313 | Location: Hampshire UK

Logitech g9 (g9x). best mouse I've ever used. not wireless. Very accurate. plenty of buttons. 2 different grips. great build quality. I bought a Naga for mmos but quickly retired it because the g9 is simply better.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Cartman372
Maha Guru
 
Cartman372's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 680 FTW+ 1280/7200
Processor: i5-3570K TR TRUE Black
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Memory: mushkin 32GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Onboard + Creative 2.1
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Default 12-05-2012, 23:10 | posts: 975 | Location: Newton, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSparil View Post
Are you a claw or palm grip user?
Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
Logitech g9 (g9x). best mouse I've ever used. not wireless. Very accurate. plenty of buttons. 2 different grips. great build quality. I bought a Naga for mmos but quickly retired it because the g9 is simply better.
I was thinking of the G9x, but it was out of stock online at walmart (had a $50 giftcard)

Went into walmart earlier and picked up a Razer Deathadder, $14 after the giftcard. Liking it so far, but we'll see as time goes on.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
eclap
Ancient Guru
 
eclap's Avatar
 
Videocard: HD7950 CFX + Qnix QX2710
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: SB Z/Aune T1/AD700/DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 12-05-2012, 23:30 | posts: 24,313 | Location: Hampshire UK

the g9 with the precision grip is perfect for claw. anyway, hope you enjoy your new mouse.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
Cartman372
Maha Guru
 
Cartman372's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 680 FTW+ 1280/7200
Processor: i5-3570K TR TRUE Black
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
Memory: mushkin 32GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Onboard + Creative 2.1
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Default 12-05-2012, 23:50 | posts: 975 | Location: Newton, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
the g9 with the precision grip is perfect for claw. anyway, hope you enjoy your new mouse.
Good to know and thanks!

I'll try to, if I end up not liking this mouse, the G9x is next on my list.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru
 
Mufflore's Avatar
 
Videocard: KFA2 Anarchy 580@930/4650
Processor: 2500K @ 4.5GHz - blew it!
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
Memory: 8G Kngston 2.2GHz CL11 1T
Soundcard: Minimax+ & Dexa Opamps !!
PSU: Corsair Pro AX750
Default 12-05-2012, 23:58 | posts: 9,776 | Location: UK

The standard Deathadder is a great mouse.
The only reason I upgraded from one is because mine developed the double click problem.
It lasted about 2.5 years though, at the price you paid, thats well worth it.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
eclap
Ancient Guru
 
eclap's Avatar
 
Videocard: HD7950 CFX + Qnix QX2710
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: SB Z/Aune T1/AD700/DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 12-05-2012, 23:59 | posts: 24,313 | Location: Hampshire UK

it's worth a try. it's solid in every department. there's something about its accuracy that makes it stand out for me. think extension of your hand precise.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
DSparil
Ancient Guru
 
DSparil's Avatar
 
Videocard: HIS 7870 IceQ GHz 2GB
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.3 w/YASYA
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97
Memory: 8GB G.Skill 1866
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: TT Toughpower XT 675
Default 12-06-2012, 00:22 | posts: 2,845 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman372 View Post
Claw



I was thinking of the G9x, but it was out of stock online at walmart (had a $50 giftcard)

Went into walmart earlier and picked up a Razer Deathadder, $14 after the giftcard. Liking it so far, but we'll see as time goes on.
Ahh, right on. I hope you like it and that it works out for you! I really liked the feel of the Deathadder, but found it not suitable to my claw grip. If it works for you though, thats what counts The good thing about a local retailer is that if you hate it, you can always return it too. I was going to recommend the CM Storm Spawn or Logitech G9 for claw otherwise
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.