Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

AMD: We're not abandoning socketed CPUs
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 5960K
Mainboard: X99
Memory: 16GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default AMD: We're not abandoning socketed CPUs - 12-05-2012, 09:33 | posts: 21,698 | Location: Guru3D testlab

f you were reading the news last month, you might have noticed those slightly worrying rumors about Intel ditching socketed CPUs in 2014. Intel hasn't sought to confirm or deny the speculation. AMD, ...

AMD: We're not abandoning socketed CPUs

Old
  (#2)
Mikedogg
Banned

Videocard: Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
Processor: Intel Core i7 720QM
Mainboard: Dell studio 1747
Memory: 4GB DDR3
Soundcard: IDT JBL SRS Premium Sound
PSU: 130Watt Adapter
Default 12-05-2012, 09:41 | posts: 2,865 | Location: The Freak Show - Earth.

Finally, a voice of reason.

Old
  (#3)
Kohlendioxidus
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
Processor: AMD FX 8350
Mainboard: ASUS 990FX Crosshair V
Memory: 8Gig Crucial Balist @1866
Soundcard: Creative XFi Fatality Pro Gamer
PSU: Corsair TX 750W
Cool 12-05-2012, 10:12 | posts: 1,276 | Location: Germany

agree with ^

Old
  (#4)
Rich_Guy
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSi Gaming 290X 1080/1250
Processor: i7 5930K
Mainboard: ASUS X99-A
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR4 2666MHz
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: Corsair AX860w
Default 12-05-2012, 12:54 | posts: 9,616 | Location: UK

Inb4 someone comes in and says 'but will AMD still be around by then'

Old
  (#5)
warlord
Master Guru

Videocard: amd 7850 cf
Processor: i7 3770k @4.8 HT
Mainboard: Msi Mpower Z77
Memory: 32gb ddr3 geil evo
Soundcard: creative
PSU: ax1200i corsair
Default 12-05-2012, 12:58 | posts: 497

and so what.? even if intel ditch socketed cpus will be faster/better again...it's like kind a law of computer science or physics...

i believe amd just cannot risk a chance of changes on the way they produce their products, innovation is not an option anymore...

Old
  (#6)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970 CF @ 1050/1500
Processor: 980X @ 4.00 GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T7 WS-SC
Memory: 12 GB Corsair @ 1910 MHz
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 12-05-2012, 14:44 | posts: 4,978 | Location: London

Woo, go AMD

Old
  (#7)
Stukov
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 6970 UL / 4870X2 (dead)
Processor: Intel i5 3570k 4.2-4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Professional
Memory: 16GB Gskill 1866Mhz
Soundcard: Audigy
PSU: Corsair 850watt
Default 12-05-2012, 14:58 | posts: 4,876 | Location: South Dakota

If you really think Intel will abandon a market I have a very nice bridge I will sell you. The enthusiast market is worth its weight in marketing gold alone.

Old
  (#8)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 980
Processor: i7-4790K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 12-05-2012, 15:28 | posts: 7,278 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
If you really think Intel will abandon a market I have a very nice bridge I will sell you. The enthusiast market is worth its weight in marketing gold alone.
They aren't, the report even said they aren't, yet people here didn't even read article. Not even to mention the fact that people can't see outside their little square box, any change to that and they freak and panic. It's funny too -- because I feel like when I talk to older people, when you change an interface or something, they get all panicky and freak out about change, I always felt like the younger generation wouldn't have this problem because they are used to adapting to constant change. And yet, when it comes to soldering a socket onto a motherboard, people just freak out, they don't even consider any upsides to it, or the reasons why, or anything.

Old
  (#9)
Stukov
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 6970 UL / 4870X2 (dead)
Processor: Intel i5 3570k 4.2-4.4Ghz
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Professional
Memory: 16GB Gskill 1866Mhz
Soundcard: Audigy
PSU: Corsair 850watt
Default 12-05-2012, 16:13 | posts: 4,876 | Location: South Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
They aren't, the report even said they aren't, yet people here didn't even read article. Not even to mention the fact that people can't see outside their little square box, any change to that and they freak and panic. It's funny too -- because I feel like when I talk to older people, when you change an interface or something, they get all panicky and freak out about change, I always felt like the younger generation wouldn't have this problem because they are used to adapting to constant change. And yet, when it comes to soldering a socket onto a motherboard, people just freak out, they don't even consider any upsides to it, or the reasons why, or anything.
Well, having to solder a $250 CPU to a $150 MB without ever soldering anything before (and this type is very precision soldering mind you, with tons of pins), so yeah, the prospect of it would be rather freaky. The old timers will freak out because their eyesight isnt waht it used to so it would be a pain to see.

Old
  (#10)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 12-05-2012, 16:24 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
Well, having to solder a $250 CPU to a $150 MB without ever soldering anything before (and this type is very precision soldering mind you, with tons of pins), so yeah, the prospect of it would be rather freaky. The old timers will freak out because their eyesight isnt waht it used to so it would be a pain to see.
what

Old
  (#11)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Default 12-05-2012, 16:24 | posts: 7,278 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post
what
Yeah I didn't get it either lol -- I'm assuming it's because i said socket instead of chip or maybe it's because the sentence is worded as it sounds like I'm saying people will have to do it and not that it's being bought like that

Old
  (#12)
IPlayNaked
Banned

Videocard: XFire 7950 1200/1850
Processor: Intel i5 2500k 5 Ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD55
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Logitech G930
PSU: Corsair 650w
Default 12-05-2012, 16:27 | posts: 6,559

Quote:
Yeah I didn't get it either lol -- I'm assuming it's because i said socket instead of chip or maybe it's because the sentence is worded as it sounds like I'm saying people will have to do it and not that it's being bought like that
After reading it 16 times, I think the point of contention is "And yet, when it comes to soldering a socket onto a motherboard, people just freak out"

Old
  (#13)
Denial
Ancient Guru

Default 12-05-2012, 16:31 | posts: 7,278 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPlayNaked View Post
After reading it 16 times, I think the point of contention is "And yet, when it comes to soldering a socket onto a motherboard, people just freak out"
Yeah, the sentence is worded in a way that makes it sound like someone is going to have solder a socket onto a motherboard. It should be a chip onto a motherboard and the person doing the soldering is all ****ed up -- corrected:

"And yet, when it comes to receiving a chip soldered into a motherboard, people just freak out"

bam son, we just solved global warming

Old
  (#14)
Reddoguk
Master Guru

Videocard: Guru3d GTX 980 G1 Gaming
Processor: AMD PII 965BE @ 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
Memory: Corsair Dominator 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard HD Realtek ALC889
PSU: XFX PRO 750W(Seasonic)
Default 12-05-2012, 16:50 | posts: 586 | Location: Wales

Quote:
They said they will keep on making Enthusiast high end cpus, but lets break it down a bit.

What is Enthusiast? Will people like me be able to afford these Enthusiast chips. I have 3 kids to feed on a 7 pound an hour income.

I can't afford to spend 200+ pound on a cpu and the mobos are usually a bit more expensive as well.

Last intel i had was a pentium 2 ^^. Not because i don't want one but to get one it would have to be a k series one and they have been out of reach for me price wise.

I'd think the cpu+mobo combo built together would be plug+play and throw away. I doubt they will be good overclockers like the k series.

They'll want the combo to have a short life like modern gfx cards. 18 months to 2 years and it'll be in the bin.

I've had this AMD 955 cpu now since 2009 i think. I know its showing its age now but running @ 3.8ghz it still works well enough.

If AMD were to die i would prolly be forced into buying the combo type set up and that might suck.

Of course they would be intel chips on intel boards, so what would that mean for mobo makers.

Most people here love to tinker with there system bios or software to enhance performance and if you don't you still like the idea that you can if you wish. I doubt intel will want the combo set ups tinkered with. So you'll prolly get a boost clock and no OCing or very little anyway.

Old
  (#15)
DM789
Master Guru

Videocard: ???
Processor: ???
Mainboard: ???
Memory: ???
Soundcard: Realtek, Altec Lansing
PSU: Corsair TX750M
Default 12-05-2012, 19:50 | posts: 372

maybe what intel meant is intel Extreme Edition CPU is still gonna be in the form of a socket,

while intel low and mid range cpu is gonna be soldered on the mobo,

well i only bought mid range cpu, so i think i'm gonna use AMD,

because i want to be able to choose for myself,

and not pick from what intel is offering from their combination of mobo with cpu soldered in it,

cos i don't trust that intel will combine the best i can get for CPU + Mobo for a good and still affordable price for me.

Old
  (#16)
morbias
Don Tommasino

Videocard: GTX 480
Processor: i7 920 D0 @4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Memory: 6GB HyperX @1600 6-7-6-18
Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS + CL 6700's
PSU: ePower Tiger 1200W
Default 12-05-2012, 20:03 | posts: 12,708 | Location: Southampton, UK

It's more likely they would sell the CPUs to OEMs who then have it soldered in the manufacturing process to their own motherboards.

Follow Guru3D on twitter.
Folding@Home - join team Guru3D!

Old
  (#17)
DM789
Master Guru

Default 12-05-2012, 20:12 | posts: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbias View Post
It's more likely they would sell the CPUs to OEMs who then have it soldered in the manufacturing process to their own motherboards.
well that wont stop intel from trying to control the OEM, remember the case a few years ago, when intel was trying to control what brand of CPU OEM can offer and sell to customers ?

Old
  (#18)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: KFA2 Anarchy 580@930/4650
Processor: 2500K @ 4.5GHz - blew it!
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
Memory: 8G Kngston 2.2GHz CL11 1T
Soundcard: Minimax+ & Dexa Opamps !!
PSU: Corsair Pro AX750
Default 12-05-2012, 20:12 | posts: 9,769 | Location: UK

Also worth considering...
If AMDs fastest chips arent as good as Intels mid range and Intels end up soldered, is it still worth getting AMDs socketed chips?
Within a 2 to 4 year timeframe, you may need to upgrade the socketed but may not need to upgrade the soldered.
Would there be any cost benefit going socketed over the time period?
If not, you end up using a slower CPU from the start without a benefit.

Hypothetical for now.

There may be a move to better threading support in games (given the new consoles and a move in that direction anyway) which will take the focus off higher speed chips somewhat.
Lots to wait and see.

Old
  (#19)
DM789
Master Guru

Default 12-05-2012, 20:21 | posts: 372

well, lets just hope that AMD can get their act right, and start competing again, and also i will choose the best that i could get, if intel cpu is faster but the mobo feature is very little, and AMD is only like 10-25% slower than intel mid range, then i will choose AMD, and that is if AMD mobo features is a lot better than what intel offers. and also if i can't change the cpu cooler for intel, then its obvious, cos i don't want my cpu to be hot and loud.

i use to have Pentium 2, and i hated that what i can do to it is very limited.

Old
  (#20)
---TK---
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780Ti SC SLI/Qnix 2710
Processor: 2600k 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 12-05-2012, 22:15 | posts: 19,079 | Location: New Jersey, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM789 View Post
well, lets just hope that AMD can get their act right, and start competing again, and also i will choose the best that i could get, if intel cpu is faster but the mobo feature is very little, and AMD is only like 10-25% slower than intel mid range, then i will choose AMD, and that is if AMD mobo features is a lot better than what intel offers. and also if i can't change the cpu cooler for intel, then its obvious, cos i don't want my cpu to be hot and loud.

i use to have Pentium 2, and i hated that what i can do to it is very limited.
you do not need to worry any longer, current intel cpu`s are much updated these days

Old
  (#21)
chaotic1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
Processor: PHENOM II 1100T X6 @4Ghz
Mainboard: CrosshairIV Formula 890FX
Memory: RipJawX PC3-12800C9 2x4gb
Soundcard: OnBoard
PSU: CM Silent Pro M1000W
Default 12-05-2012, 23:16 | posts: 2,853

now only if AMD would produce a cpu that could match/beat intels high end , well we can all dream lol

Old
  (#22)
sykozis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: SLI GTX660
Processor: 2600K@4.5ghz
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: 16gb G.Skill DDR3-2133
Soundcard: Creative SB Recon3D PCIe
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620watt
Default 12-05-2012, 23:21 | posts: 16,953 | Location: US East Coast

My next build will be AMD regardless. Probably 90% of what I do is browse forums and watch movies. Don't exactly need a high-end system for that. Just sitting back, waiting for AMD's next APU generation to launch.

Old
  (#23)
The Laughing Ma
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 670GTX
Processor: I5 4690K @ 3.5Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus Formula VII
Memory: 8Gb Crucial Ballistix
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair 650W
Default 12-06-2012, 03:01 | posts: 2,257

Even if Intel was to go down the non socketed route, which I am pretty sure the report didn't say, but hypotheticals and all, not really sure what the big issue is?

Surely all this would do is force the Mobo / CPU market down the same route as the GPU market, i.e Intel release a reference design for the chip and mobo they have and then the board makers can chose weather or not to make their own version of it, make an OC'd variant, and for those clever guys out there take the chip and just stick it on a board of their own design. Okay so it will limit the potential number of CPU / Mobo combos that are out there but end of the day does it really matter?

I don't even think the issue with upgrading IS actually an issue either. If you chose smart when you build the rig you shouldn't need to upgrade. I got an I5 750 that is still ticking over nicely with no plans to upgrade it in the near future, even if I wanted to their are hardly any CPUs that support the socket now so I would need to buy a new Mobo anyway.

Last edited by The Laughing Ma; 12-06-2012 at 03:05.

Old
  (#24)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: EVGA 850w Supernova G2
Default 12-06-2012, 03:35 | posts: 7,218 | Location: Dubai

Intel is a company in transition, crazy ideas will be thrown around but it doesn't mean that they will come to fruition. They may do that for low power systems but that's it.

Glad to see AMD make their opinion clear. I hope they get back on track.