Sapphire 7950 not working with Z77 Extreme4 at GEN 3 Speeds
Videocards - AMD - ATI AMD Radeon graphics cards. Do you have one or want to buy one? Use this forum to discuss anything concerning products using Radeon graphics cards, CrossFireX, from Radeon 9800 to HD 6900
Sapphire 7950 not working with Z77 Extreme4 at GEN 3 Speeds -
| posts: 8 | Location: WA, State
I have a Sapphire 7950 paired with an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (BIOS v2.7) and an i5-3570K. The problem that I have is the following:
The card is only being detected if it’s working at PCIE Gen 2 speeds and it seizes to be detected at Gen 3 speeds.
Here are some details:
- The video card is connected to the PCIE2 port (which is a PCIE 3.0 x 16 slot, all other slots are of lower speed)
- The video card will only be detected if the port is set to GEN1, GEN2 or AUTO in the North Bridge settings in the BIOS
- If the card is set to GEN 3 it stops being detected
- If the card is set to AUTO, when I run GPU-Z it detects it as running only at GEN2 speeds even with the rendering test.
- All the components are new
- All power connectors are connected to the card and I verified that it is seated correctly
So here are my questions…
-What can I do to get the card running at GEN3 speeds?
-What tests can I do to determine which of the components is at fault?
-Should I care about this? I know something is not right but I'm not sure if this is a big deal.
Bellow are the complete system specs:
Intel Core i5-3570K
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
_ BIOS V2.7 (v2.0, 2.2 and 2.5 also tested with same results)
SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
_ GPU BIOS version: 015.023.000.001.000000
_ Driver Ver: Catalyst 12.11 (12.10 also tested, same results)
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 600W ATX12V
Corsair CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
OCZ Vengeance SSD
LG BD-RE SATA (WH14NS40)
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit