Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Microsoft Surface users complain about cover cracks
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone
 
Hilbert Hagedoorn's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default Microsoft Surface users complain about cover cracks - 11-13-2012, 08:12 | posts: 20,937 | Location: Guru3D testlab

Electronista noticed that early buyers are complaining about several issues. One of the most widely heard complaints is that the Touch Cover attachment is prone to splitting and fraying, Electronista ...

Microsoft Surface users complain about cover cracks
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
lucidus
Ancient Guru
 
lucidus's Avatar
 
Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 11-13-2012, 08:16 | posts: 6,762 | Location: Dubai

At least the tablet isn't RROD'ing.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Ven0m
Maha Guru
 
Ven0m's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX 680 D2CU TOP
Processor: i7 920 @ 4GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 12GB Patriot Viper
Soundcard: Xonar D2X>Custom amp>K712
PSU: Seasonic M12D 850W
Default 11-13-2012, 08:48 | posts: 1,438 | Location: Warsaw, Poland

It isn't the best start they could wish for.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru
 
PhazeDelta1's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Seasonic X-850
Default 11-13-2012, 10:20 | posts: 13,352 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
At least the tablet isn't RROD'ing.

I see what you did there.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
INSTG8R
Maha Guru
 
INSTG8R's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
Processor: i7 2600K@4.6/AC Kryos H20
Mainboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengence 1600
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatality Champion
PSU: Seasonic X-1050 80+ Gold
Default 11-13-2012, 10:31 | posts: 1,270 | Location: Lost in Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhazeDelta1 View Post
I see what you did there.
That!
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
MonstroMart
Master Guru
 
Videocard: GB GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
Processor: Intel Core I5 750 @ 3840
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D Pro @ 160
Memory: Cor Ven 8GB DDR3-1600 CL8
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W
Default 11-13-2012, 15:53 | posts: 204 | Location: Quebec, Canada

Would not it make skating on it a little bit dangerous ?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru
 
tsunami231's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 11-14-2012, 00:41 | posts: 3,342 | Location: USA

another peice of MS hardware breaking or failing?, Shockin there is reason why i didnt buy 360 again after it rrod 2 systems, And a reason why i stopped buy there mouses, they all failled with in a years time. I got 5 free mouse replacements over the coarse of 4 years from them cause there mouse died with in years time. and after the 5 replacement died I said screw MS hardware and went to Logitech and couldn't be happier.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidus View Post
At least the tablet isn't RROD'ing.
I think if it actually did that I would hilarious. Which would further prove my point that MS cant make hardware. Original Xbox on other hand was made like brick and definitely didnt have the failure rate of most there other hardware.

Last edited by tsunami231; 11-14-2012 at 00:44.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
F1refly
Ancient Guru
 
F1refly's Avatar
 
Videocard: Intel Iris Pro
Processor: Core i7
Mainboard: Apple
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard: Apple
PSU: Apple
Default 11-14-2012, 01:11 | posts: 8,768 | Location: Indiana

Other articles I read indicate this issue has been blown way out of proportion. Apparently only 2 actual users had this issue and others not confirmed as real faults and MS is offering to replace them, but who knows, no doubt MS will correct the issue with a new material soon.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Denial
Ancient Guru
 
Denial's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 690
Processor: i7-3770K
Mainboard: ASUS Maximus 5 Formula
Memory: 16GB Corsair DDR3 2133
Soundcard: ZxR & HD800 Lyr/PC350SE
PSU: Seasonic 1000w
Default 11-14-2012, 01:25 | posts: 7,042 | Location: Above Earth in a Big Rocket Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami231 View Post
another peice of MS hardware breaking or failing?, Shockin there is reason why i didnt buy 360 again after it rrod 2 systems, And a reason why i stopped buy there mouses, they all failled with in a years time. I got 5 free mouse replacements over the coarse of 4 years from them cause there mouse died with in years time. and after the 5 replacement died I said screw MS hardware and went to Logitech and couldn't be happier.




I think if it actually did that I would hilarious. Which would further prove my point that MS cant make hardware. Original Xbox on other hand was made like brick and definitely didnt have the failure rate of most there other hardware.
How can Microsoft not make hardware? Aside from the the the RROD and a few disk scratch issues, what other Microsoft hardware was plagued with issues? Pretty much all their keyboards and mice are solid products. The original Xbox was definitely solid. The Zune devices are also considered great products in terms of build quality. Their webcams and stuff have always been decent. The Kinect is certainly catching on in multiple ways.

So aside from the RROD, which was caused due to a EU mandate about lead free solder, which also effected Nvidia graphics cards at the time; and disk scratching, which most was attributed to people moving the console while the diisk was spinning, what other hardware has Microsoft failed on?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
tsunami231
Ancient Guru
 
tsunami231's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA 660gtx sig2
Processor: i7 920 CNPS10X Quiet
Mainboard: Evga x58 SLI LE
Memory: 3x2gb Dominator@1600 6Gb
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: Antec Truepower 750
Default 11-14-2012, 03:08 | posts: 3,342 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
How can Microsoft not make hardware? Aside from the the the RROD and a few disk scratch issues, what other Microsoft hardware was plagued with issues? Pretty much all their keyboards and mice are solid products. The original Xbox was definitely solid. The Zune devices are also considered great products in terms of build quality. Their webcams and stuff have always been decent. The Kinect is certainly catching on in multiple ways.

So aside from the RROD, which was caused due to a EU mandate about lead free solder, which also effected Nvidia graphics cards at the time; and disk scratching, which most was attributed to people moving the console while the diisk was spinning, what other hardware has Microsoft failed on?
Every piece of hardware i ever owned from microsoft that is how
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
MonstroMart
Master Guru
 
Videocard: GB GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
Processor: Intel Core I5 750 @ 3840
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D Pro @ 160
Memory: Cor Ven 8GB DDR3-1600 CL8
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W
Default 11-14-2012, 15:15 | posts: 204 | Location: Quebec, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1refly View Post
Other articles I read indicate this issue has been blown way out of proportion. Apparently only 2 actual users had this issue and others not confirmed as real faults and MS is offering to replace them, but who knows, no doubt MS will correct the issue with a new material soon.
Well actually a guy testing the tablet at Neowin had the problem.

http://www.neowin.net/news/a-week-with-the-surface-rt

You know what you say is what people said about the RRoD for all the time before MS admitted there was a problem.

I think one of my friend was already on his 3rd xbox 360 when MS extended the warranty and admitted there was a problem. I was lucky enough that mine did RRoD after MS extended the warranty.

I don't say it is widespread just that it might be too soon to draw any conclusion either way.

Last edited by MonstroMart; 11-14-2012 at 15:22.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
MonstroMart
Master Guru
 
Videocard: GB GeForce GTX 670 OC 2GB
Processor: Intel Core I5 750 @ 3840
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D Pro @ 160
Memory: Cor Ven 8GB DDR3-1600 CL8
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude
PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700W
Default 11-14-2012, 15:19 | posts: 204 | Location: Quebec, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denial View Post
attributed to people moving the console while the diisk was spinning, what other hardware has Microsoft failed on?
You did not need to move the console a lot for the disk to scrath though.

It happened to me with my Halo 3 disc at a lan party. I moved the console a little bit slowly and gently to make some room while the disc was spinning and bang it started to make a lot of sound and spin weirdly. Luckly i removed the disc before it was too much damaged and only the single player was affacted by the big deep scratch i was still able to play all the multiplayers maps.

Still to be honest a disc reader should be able to handle some gentle movement specially in a console.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
F1refly
Ancient Guru
 
F1refly's Avatar
 
Videocard: Intel Iris Pro
Processor: Core i7
Mainboard: Apple
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard: Apple
PSU: Apple
Default 11-15-2012, 00:28 | posts: 8,768 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstroMart View Post
You did not need to move the console a lot for the disk to scrath though.

It happened to me with my Halo 3 disc at a lan party. I moved the console a little bit slowly and gently to make some room while the disc was spinning and bang it started to make a lot of sound and spin weirdly. Luckly i removed the disc before it was too much damaged and only the single player was affacted by the big deep scratch i was still able to play all the multiplayers maps.

Still to be honest a disc reader should be able to handle some gentle movement specially in a console.
SegaCD was bad about that too. Now the very first original Playstation, it had a beast of a CD drive as far as solid and no issues with it harming discs, it could read some pretty badly scratched up discs too. I loved that thing.
Dreamcast was also good top loader as was Turbo Duo or whatever it was called.

imo, I think top loading drives are best. Seems they can take more abuse in general and easy to clean. I'd rather a new console have that than a slot or tray loader. More cost friendly too.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
F1refly
Ancient Guru
 
F1refly's Avatar
 
Videocard: Intel Iris Pro
Processor: Core i7
Mainboard: Apple
Memory: 8 gigs
Soundcard: Apple
PSU: Apple
Default 11-15-2012, 00:39 | posts: 8,768 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstroMart View Post
Well actually a guy testing the tablet at Neowin had the problem.

http://www.neowin.net/news/a-week-with-the-surface-rt
.
I started to read his review...then I dropped down to the comments and had much more fun reading some of the childish responses and bickering than anything else. Reminds me of Anand, full of kids who like to get hateful and argue the stupidest crap. lol
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.