Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Want to talk about anything Hardware related? This is the place, you can discuss it here.

How hard is it to build your own computer?
Old
  (#1)
Moopsta

Videocard: AMD HD 7690M XT
Processor: Intel core i7
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Don't know
Default How hard is it to build your own computer? - 11-10-2012, 14:23 | posts: 44

I'm scared I'm going to mess it up and waste my life savings and go into depression again.

Should I take the risk or just buy one thats premade?

Old
  (#2)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7950 Vapor-X 1175/1550
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.8
Mainboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 2400
Soundcard: X-Fi Fatal1ty
PSU: AcBel M8 750
Default 11-10-2012, 14:27 | posts: 24,205 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopsta View Post
I'm scared I'm going to mess it up and waste my life savings and go into depression again.

Should I take the risk or just buy one thats premade?
Buying prebuilt is a surefire way to waste your money.

Building a PC is the easy part....selecting the right hardware is a little harder.

But that's what we're here to help with.

Old
  (#3)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: KFA2 Anarchy 580@930/4650
Processor: 2500K @ 4.5GHz - blew it!
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
Memory: 8G Kngston 2.2GHz CL11 1T
Soundcard: Minimax+ & Dexa Opamps !!
PSU: Corsair Pro AX750
Default 11-10-2012, 14:28 | posts: 9,769 | Location: UK

Depends how much cash you have.
Lack of cash can be a big motivator.

There are many many tutorials and videos on the web.
Start on youtube if you dont like reading.
Take your time.
Once you feel you have a good grounding, come back and we can assist you.

Old
  (#4)
Parabola
Banned

Videocard: 82945G Express Chipset
Processor: Conroe E4500@2.4GHz-1.2V
Mainboard: Jetway 945GCM2S-A2
Memory: Hynix 1GB DDR2-667@369Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek ALC662
PSU: Generic 450W
Default 11-10-2012, 15:13 | posts: 282 | Location: Northern India

Mufflore is right.
Read this guide.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=237103

Old
  (#5)
Sabbath
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte WF3 GTX670 2GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K/H80i
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 3
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16GB
Soundcard: Xonar STX /Corsair SP2500
PSU: Cooler Master 850W~66A
Default 11-10-2012, 15:13 | posts: 740 | Location: Ontario, CAN

It's easy don't get scared, stay confident.

Old
  (#6)
Deathspank
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gainward GTX570 1280mb
Processor: Intel i7 @3.8GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB 1603MHz Samsung 1T
Soundcard: Onboard Soundmax HD
PSU: OCZ StealthXstream 600w
Default 11-10-2012, 15:36 | posts: 1,300 | Location: Wolverhampton/England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Monster View Post
Buying prebuilt is a surefire way to waste your money.

Building a PC is the easy part....selecting the right hardware is a little harder.

But that's what we're here to help with.
i half agree, you get alot of satifaction and its cheaper to build your own but with a pre-built you get the satifaction that the whole rig will be under warranty if anything goes tits up. i'd say:

novice: go pre-built untill your confident if the componants.

intermediate/expert: build your own.

Old
  (#7)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Default 11-10-2012, 15:55 | posts: 24,205 | Location: NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathspank View Post
i half agree, you get alot of satifaction and its cheaper to build your own but with a pre-built you get the satifaction that the whole rig will be under warranty if anything goes tits up. i'd say:

novice: go pre-built untill your confident if the componants.

intermediate/expert: build your own.
All hardware components have a warranty, if you build a rig yourself the faulty parts have to be RMA'd back to retailer or manufacturer, prebuilt means returning the whole system back to retailer.....

Old
  (#8)
lehtv
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 7950 3GB
Processor: i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V
Memory: 2x4GB Samsung 1333
Soundcard: Asus Xonar DX + SH PC-350
PSU: Seasonic X-660
Default 11-10-2012, 15:56 | posts: 3,094

The harder part is picking the right components for you, and ones that are good bang for buck. That actually takes some knowledge about how components work and how they relate to different usage scenarios. That's where this forum can help you out the most, and it's important stuff even if you bought a pre-built. Installing parts into a PC is just like putting together a piece of IKEA furniture.

Just a few things to remember:
- ground yourself
- make a plan of your installation order (read up some guides about this) and keep things organized
- you need a phillips head screwdriver, I like to have different sizes available for different screws, preferably all of them magnetic
- handle components with care (only touch the edges of the motherboard and the graphics card's cooler, for instance)
- don't overtighten screws
- don't power up until you've made sure all the power cables and wires are in the right places
- when you power up, first go to BIOS and check your CPU temperatures, RAM settings, enable AHCI if using an SSD, only then install Windows

Optionally you can make a test bench build on a piece of cardboard first, install only the most essential components to make sure nothing's DOA.

Last edited by lehtv; 11-10-2012 at 16:03.

Old
  (#9)
Anfield82
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 7970
Processor: i5 4670K @ 4.4
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
Memory: Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133MHz
Soundcard: On board
PSU: Corsair RM650
Default 11-10-2012, 16:00 | posts: 1,157 | Location: UK

Don't rush and take it one step at a time. There are many members on here who will walk you through the whole thing if you wish.

Build your own, it's much more satisfying

Old
  (#10)
alanm
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI TF GTX 770
Processor: i5-3570k
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB Zx
PSU: XFX Pro 750w
Default 11-10-2012, 16:59 | posts: 5,584

Youtube will likely have lots of clips on the topic which will at least give you a visual idea of whats involved.

Old
  (#11)
Pill Monster
Ancient Guru

Default 11-10-2012, 17:01 | posts: 24,205 | Location: NZ

Having the right tools can help, like for example a hammer and good supply of nails....

Old
  (#12)
Parabola
Banned

Videocard: 82945G Express Chipset
Processor: Conroe E4500@2.4GHz-1.2V
Mainboard: Jetway 945GCM2S-A2
Memory: Hynix 1GB DDR2-667@369Mhz
Soundcard: Realtek ALC662
PSU: Generic 450W
Default 11-10-2012, 17:19 | posts: 282 | Location: Northern India

A really important tip- don't place the motherboard inside the case and then drag it to match the stand-offs to the screw holes. Instead place it in a manner the stand offs come below the holes in one try.

Old
  (#13)
Nichtswisser
Master Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
Processor: i5 2500K @4.2GHz @1,160V
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0
Memory: GeIL Value Plus 8GB
Soundcard: DT 990 Pro @ASUS Xonar DX
PSU: OCZ ModX Pro 700W
Default 11-10-2012, 17:24 | posts: 263

It really isn't hard, the first time it can be little confusing with all those cables and stuff. Yet what first time isn't a little confusing? And it's really only the firs time. The second and third time is easy. The best would be having a friend who has some experience assist you. Failing that the net is full of good guides and videos.

It's really isn't hard and apart from a screwdriver and a flashligh you usually do not even need any tools. Just make sure to get the build order right, mainboard and PSU always first.

Old
  (#14)
Tat3
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX480 w/ 244T
Processor: i7 920 @ 4,4GHz | Water
Mainboard: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
Memory: 3*2Gb 8-8-8-20 @ 1680MHz
Soundcard: UA-55 -> 2*Genelec 8030B
PSU: Defo not modular (TX950W)
Default 11-10-2012, 17:45 | posts: 11,304 | Location: Finland

Things to remember.

- Mobo doesnt go directly to case, it goes on top of those risers.

Do not forget those.

- If something doesnt seem to go in, check if it actually should go there

- Make sure there is correct amount of thermal paste between cpu and the cpu heatsink. Check CPU temps when you boot the PC. Can this destroy your PC ? Mobo should have maximum cpu temp set before stuff melts and so. I actually tested it, forgot to connect waterpump of my watercooling setup... Did shut down automatically, all still works.

- Dont panic, if you dont know something, ask.

Old
  (#15)
alanm
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI TF GTX 770
Processor: i5-3570k
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB Zx
PSU: XFX Pro 750w
Default 11-10-2012, 18:52 | posts: 5,584

If you're installing a stock Intel CPU cooler (pre-applied paste), the push-pin design can be potentially difficult for first timers. Make sure they are pushed in diagonal order. Again best to check out visual demonstrations of all thats involved in building a PC, ie, on youtube.

Old
  (#16)
mitzi76
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI 970 (Gaming)
Processor: CoreI7 920@4ghz(EK Sup)
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6gb Corsair 1600
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: 850w Antec
Default 11-10-2012, 20:11 | posts: 8,073 | Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
If you're installing a stock Intel CPU cooler (pre-applied paste), the push-pin design can be potentially difficult for first timers. Make sure they are pushed in diagonal order. Again best to check out visual demonstrations of all thats involved in building a PC, ie, on youtube.
def worth investing in an aftermarket cooler of a higher degree of quality. installation is a lot easier..(so budget for an aftermarket cooler).

Ugh some some cheapo heatsinks I used were a nightmare....

Old
  (#17)
tweakpower
Banned

Videocard: MSI HD 6770
Processor: FX-4100 4.0Ghz
Mainboard: MSI 970A-G46
Memory: HuperX 2x4GB PC12800
Soundcard: Realtek Onboard
PSU: LC-Power 600W
Default 11-10-2012, 21:06 | posts: 932 | Location: Serbia

You can't go much wrong with computers of present. It's not like in old days when you had to use jumpers on motherboard, and know exactly what you doing or you would see some smoke .

But, you still have to follow manual (if you don't know from head) to connect some of devices in some cases, for example USB, some cases have all connectors separated, so you would have to connect them properly, and that is most complicated thing you will be faced with TBH if you don't know, but every motherboard have manual and explanation for it with diagram.

Other problem you might face with, is very rare now, but it is not impossible, it is component compatibility. Some components, for whatever reason, will, or will not work with others etc. But, really, that is rare now, and most probably you will not have those problems.

Another problem is system balance, most of the prebuilt PC's have a good balance, faster CPU and "slow" GPU's. That's because manif. don't want to risk too much.

In old days, it was a rule that prebuilt PC's would have better quality and will work better compared to self build PC, because of careful selection of components etc. I'm not sure if that is the case now, since who knows who make a selection etc. Many ignorant people could be involved in some of those PC's, and it will be maybe better for you to do it yourself.

For the components and rest, you can always listen to advice of people here who built large number of PC's.

Old
  (#18)
Preachergeek
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
Processor: e6600 @3.7ghz H20
Mainboard: Evga 680i
Memory: 2x1gb Crucial handpicked d9gmh
Soundcard: Xtreme gamer
PSU: 700W Seasonic m12-700
Default 11-13-2012, 16:52 | posts: 1,650 | Location: London, England

Building / assembling a computer is very easy if you're patient, do your research first and don't try and force anything. Make sure of anything you're unsure of before trying it and don't make any hardware changes with the power on (I dropped a screw on my graphics card with it turned on during my first build. Bad idea.)

I would however suggest you don't spend your life savings on a computer (if you need money for anything else. If you're young and don't need it then no worries) and i suggest you seek therapy or other medical assistance for depression if you actually have medical depression.

Everyone here will be happy to give you any assistance you need. It's not very difficult.

Old
  (#19)
EspHack
Maha Guru

Videocard: ATI/HD5770/1GB
Processor: Intel Core i7-980X
Mainboard: Intel DX58SO
Memory: DDR3/1600MHz/16GB/4 stick
Soundcard: ASUS XonarDX/Logitech G51
PSU: EPS Super Flower 750w
Default 11-13-2012, 19:29 | posts: 1,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat3 View Post
Things to remember.

- Mobo doesnt go directly to case, it goes on top of those risers.

Do not forget those.

- If something doesnt seem to go in, check if it actually should go there

- Make sure there is correct amount of thermal paste between cpu and the cpu heatsink. Check CPU temps when you boot the PC. Can this destroy your PC ? Mobo should have maximum cpu temp set before stuff melts and so. I actually tested it, forgot to connect waterpump of my watercooling setup... Did shut down automatically, all still works.

- Dont panic, if you dont know something, ask.
THIS^ lol i remember those times... the first time i forgot those risers and was scared about the mobo circuits could make contact with the case so i put the same anti-static cover where the mobo came haha

Old
  (#20)
mouytbe3

Videocard: evga gtx 670
Processor: intel core 3550
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 850 watt
Default 11-14-2012, 06:28 | posts: 6

It comes down to the person and what you are willing to spend/do. Building your own is not difficult but I still went premade anyway because custom liquid cooling was not an endeavor I felt I was ready to make lol. I got mine built from a smaller company called ironside because the prices were decent, but mainly cause the customer service was really good and i felt that was important if the computer decided to implode one day lol.

Old
  (#21)
russ1
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
Processor: Core i5 4670K
Mainboard: MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming
Memory: GSKILL Sniper 1866 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic X-750 80+ Gold
Default 11-14-2012, 07:21 | posts: 183 | Location: Thailand

It's about as hard as a simple jigsaw puzzle. Just get the right components for what you need the computer for, no good getting a gtx690 if you are only going to surf the net.

Old
  (#22)
naike
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus EAH5870
Processor: Phenom II x4 965BE
Mainboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Memory: 4GB OCZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar ST & HD555's
PSU: Antec Quattro 850W
Default 11-14-2012, 22:36 | posts: 2,021

The only danger is damaging your parts, but in my experience, it's not as easy as it sounds haha.
If you handle the parts with common sense and take care of static electricity, you're fine.
Seriously though, it sounds much more dangerous than it is.

It's like a 4 piece puzzle, you can't connect something wrong, and if you somehow do manage to do so, the computer wont start anyway.
Also, I think it's a lot of fun, and I wouldn't buy a preassembled pc, but beware, it's going to take you the whole day and your back is going to hurt and you will probably end up opening the case a few times after you've completed assembling haha. (You know, a cable showing or something).

I never used any tutorials when I built my first pc, I just looked at the pieces and started plugging them in and my pcs have worked just fine.
Also, it's worth to mention that you plan your assembly before hand, not that you assemble your pc outside the case, and then realize it won't fit in unless you remove half of the parts lol.
(Also a tip, common sense tells you not to force parts in, well that's true, but sometimes connections can be very tight, just check it out and if you are 100% sure the parts go together, use a little force if necessary)

Go for it.

Last edited by naike; 11-14-2012 at 22:45.

Old
  (#23)
tweakpower
Banned

Default 11-14-2012, 22:57 | posts: 932 | Location: Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by naike View Post
but beware, it's going to take you the whole day and your back is going to hurt and you will probably end up opening the case a few times after you've completed assembling haha. (You know, a cable showing or something).
That is true if something goes wrong .

But in normal cases, up to 1 hour for assembling/connecting parts, up to 5 minutes for setting up BIOS, up to 2 hours for OS and updates, applications, settings, backup files and so on.

3 to 4 hours total in worst case scenario . But if something goes wrong, it might also take a few days not just one.

Old
  (#24)
naike
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus EAH5870
Processor: Phenom II x4 965BE
Mainboard: Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Memory: 4GB OCZ
Soundcard: Asus Xonar ST & HD555's
PSU: Antec Quattro 850W
Default 11-15-2012, 04:38 | posts: 2,021

Dunno how you guys do it, but it does take me pretty much the whole day even though i know what I'm doing.
I include of course opening all the packages up to cleaning away all the mess etc.

If I got a box with all the screws etc, unpacked parts and the case, I could assemble it under an hour sure, but all that other stuff takes a while.

Old
  (#25)
tweakpower
Banned

Default 11-15-2012, 07:09 | posts: 932 | Location: Serbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by naike View Post
Dunno how you guys do it, but it does take me pretty much the whole day even though i know what I'm doing.
I include of course opening all the packages up to cleaning away all the mess etc.

If I got a box with all the screws etc, unpacked parts and the case, I could assemble it under an hour sure, but all that other stuff takes a while.
Yeah, you got the point right . I assumed new build = everything new. But with cleaning, sure, it will take much more time (depends how detailed you are ofc. ).