Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA
Videocards - NVIDIA This forum is all about NVIDIA graphics cards and their technology. Do you have a question regarding an older GeForce videocard? Want to tell people how stylish a game works on that new shiny watercooled GeForce GTX 580 or SLI gaming rig? Get in here!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
gtx 680 FPS problum
Old
  (#1)
wheelspk
Newbie
 
Videocard: gtx 680 / 2gb
Processor: intel 2600 k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: cm 750
Default gtx 680 FPS problum - 11-10-2012, 00:26 | posts: 21

hello,

first let me start with my system specs:


GTX 680 SC version
GTX 680 NORMAL version


8 GB vengeance Ram

asus p8z86 deluxe gen3 mobo

850w zelman PSU.

2600k i7 overclocked to 4.3 Ghz. water cooled

playing games on zr2740w playing games on 2560x1440.

ssd for gamming

2 tb hdd for storage

i play fps games mostly BF3 on ultra setting which are as fallows :

1) every thing on ULTA.
2) AA off.
3) MSAA on x4
4) motion blur : OFF
5) vsync : off.
6) antisotopic filter: x16.
7) AA post : off.
8) AO: HBAO.

now im getting LOW FPS when i play bf3 or any other games. my friend who has just 1 gtx670 has the same FPS as me even when i am on SLI

today i tried playing on LOWEST setting still i only get 5 FPS improvement over the ultra evry thing low all AA off..

when i check my GPU load both cards are on 55ish % and never go high then that may be in the mid 60ths% some times...then y am i getting low FPS?? temps are normal.


i overclocked my GPU to 4.3 GHz still no improvement...nvidia control panel is at normal setting.

i have checked the cards they are in slots the rite way the sli bridge is fine and sli mode is on.


just want to improve my FPS, please help.

regards.

Last edited by wheelspk; 11-10-2012 at 00:38.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SC SLI/Qnix 2710
Processor: 2600k 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 11-10-2012, 00:36 | posts: 19,086 | Location: New Jersey, USA

How did you oc your non k chip to 4.3ghz? Baseclock?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
wheelspk
Newbie
 
Videocard: gtx 680 / 2gb
Processor: intel 2600 k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: cm 750
Default 11-10-2012, 00:37 | posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---TK--- View Post
How did you oc your non k chip to 4.3ghz? Baseclock?
im sorry its 2600k..ill edit it.

base-clock for the cards??

1005 MHz for the normal card
1058 MHz for the SC card

Last edited by wheelspk; 11-10-2012 at 00:40.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SC SLI/Qnix 2710
Processor: 2600k 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 11-10-2012, 00:40 | posts: 19,086 | Location: New Jersey, USA

Baseclock is CPU orientated. How did you oc your CPU? In the BIOS or is it some Asus auto oc?
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
wheelspk
Newbie
 
Videocard: gtx 680 / 2gb
Processor: intel 2600 k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: cm 750
Default 11-10-2012, 00:42 | posts: 21

i over clocked it manually fallowing the guide given on this from and others as well, the OC on the CPU is fine as its only using 75% of the load in game.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SC SLI/Qnix 2710
Processor: 2600k 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 11-10-2012, 00:46 | posts: 19,086 | Location: New Jersey, USA

You have a link to ur psu?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
wheelspk
Newbie
 
Videocard: gtx 680 / 2gb
Processor: intel 2600 k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: cm 750
Default 11-10-2012, 00:48 | posts: 21

its the zalman 850 w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817379007
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SC SLI/Qnix 2710
Processor: 2600k 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 11-10-2012, 00:56 | posts: 19,086 | Location: New Jersey, USA

That should be good enough. How old is it? You try different drivers? Enable sli in the nvcp? I can completely Max out bf3 at 1080 with a minimum 60fps on my rig. You should do that no problem with sli 680. Ill let some Kepler owners chime in they may be more able to help you better.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
wheelspk
Newbie
 
Videocard: gtx 680 / 2gb
Processor: intel 2600 k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: cm 750
Default 11-10-2012, 01:00 | posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---TK--- View Post
That should be good enough. How old is it? You try different drivers? Enable sli in the nvcp? I can completely Max out bf3 at 1080 with a minimum 60fps on my rig. You should do that no problem with sli 680. Ill let some Kepler owners chime in they may be more able to help you better.
well its like 4 months old, i have the UP to date drivers never tried old ones,

yes its enabled in the NCP also in the EVGA tool both cards are synced,

when i try playing with just one card the load is fine arounf 90ish%...and fps are around the same as on the SLI which is quite disturbing lol
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SC SLI/Qnix 2710
Processor: 2600k 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 11-10-2012, 01:08 | posts: 19,086 | Location: New Jersey, USA

Try some different drivers and try heaven 3.0 both gpu should be at around 99% with vsynch off
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
wheelspk
Newbie
 
Videocard: gtx 680 / 2gb
Processor: intel 2600 k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: cm 750
Default 11-10-2012, 01:11 | posts: 21

ok ill try and let u know
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
wheelspk
Newbie
 
Videocard: gtx 680 / 2gb
Processor: intel 2600 k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: cm 750
Default 11-10-2012, 01:30 | posts: 21

ok so i tried it i got this result:

Powered by Unigine Engine
Heaven Benchmark v3.0 Basic
FPS:
111.3
Scores:
2804
Min FPS:
39.9
Max FPS:
223.2
Hardware
Binary:
Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1600 Release Mar 7 2012
Operating system:
Windows 7 (build 7601, Service Pack 1) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
CPU flags:
3399MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE41 SSE42 HTT
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 9.18.13.697 2048Mb
Settings
Render:
direct3d11
Mode:
2560x1440 fullscreen
Shaders:
high
Textures:
high
Filter:
trilinear
Anisotropy:
4x
Occlusion:
enabled
Refraction:
enabled
Volumetric:
enabled
Tessellation: disabled
Unigine Corp. 2005-2012
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
nakquada
Master Guru
 
nakquada's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte 780 Ti OC
Processor: Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 16GB G.Skill DDR3-1600
Soundcard: SB Zx + Edifier S550 5.1
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 11-10-2012, 17:18 | posts: 317 | Location: Kildare, Ireland

What OS are you running? Windows 7?
Have you tried a BIOS update for your P8Z68-V?

EDIT: I see you're running Win7 64.

For troubleshooting I would first remove the CPU overclock and run it at stock speed. That eliminates an overclocking issue.

Secondly, I would keep an eye on your GPU temps. If your GPUs go past the
~80c threshold they'll start throttling back their clocks.

I would DEFINITELY ensure you are running a more current BIOS for that board. I initially had 680 issues with my P8Z68 when I had it, and a BIOS issue did wonders for lots of things.

Last edited by nakquada; 11-10-2012 at 17:22.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Zoz
Newbie
 
Videocard: 2x 580 @ 950/2100
Processor: i5 2500k @ 5Ghz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 850w
Default 11-10-2012, 19:48 | posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspk View Post
hello,

first let me start with my system specs:


GTX 680 SC version
GTX 680 NORMAL version


8 GB vengeance Ram

asus p8z86 deluxe gen3 mobo

850w zelman PSU.

2600k i7 overclocked to 4.3 Ghz. water cooled

playing games on zr2740w playing games on 2560x1440.

ssd for gamming

2 tb hdd for storage

i play fps games mostly BF3 on ultra setting which are as fallows :

1) every thing on ULTA.
2) AA off.
3) MSAA on x4
4) motion blur : OFF
5) vsync : off.
6) antisotopic filter: x16.
7) AA post : off.
8) AO: HBAO.

now im getting LOW FPS when i play bf3 or any other games. my friend who has just 1 gtx670 has the same FPS as me even when i am on SLI

today i tried playing on LOWEST setting still i only get 5 FPS improvement over the ultra evry thing low all AA off..

when i check my GPU load both cards are on 55ish % and never go high then that may be in the mid 60ths% some times...then y am i getting low FPS?? temps are normal.


i overclocked my GPU to 4.3 GHz still no improvement...nvidia control panel is at normal setting.

i have checked the cards they are in slots the rite way the sli bridge is fine and sli mode is on.


just want to improve my FPS, please help.

regards.
Amazingly, you neglected to actually specify how many frames per second you are getting, which would have been useful information for people with similar systems as yours.
What is your VRAM usage%?
BTW, just because you see GPU usage% at 55-60 doesn't mean anything is wrong, especially if you have vsync enabled. In my experience with SLI, many games never hit full utilization.

As someone else suggested, run Heaven and check your utilization, both GPU's should be pegged at 99%. If not, something is wrong.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
wheelspk
Newbie
 
Videocard: gtx 680 / 2gb
Processor: intel 2600 k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: cm 750
Default 11-12-2012, 09:21 | posts: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoz View Post
Amazingly, you neglected to actually specify how many frames per second you are getting, which would have been useful information for people with similar systems as yours.
What is your VRAM usage%?
BTW, just because you see GPU usage% at 55-60 doesn't mean anything is wrong, especially if you have vsync enabled. In my experience with SLI, many games never hit full utilization.

As someone else suggested, run Heaven and check your utilization, both GPU's should be pegged at 99%. If not, something is wrong.

well i was getting some where from 50 to 70 fps even on lowest settings of bf3 and on ultra also the same....i have already dont a heaven test and have posted the results above if u would have seen em? both gpu's were at 99% with very good FPS lowerst being 40fps and higest being 223 FPS on 2560x1440 rez....

but saying all this i have found the solution to my problem.

i taught i start from the bottom and start to troubleshoot every thing: i took every thing out from my pc and re connected every thing....
re-installed my windows 7....
formatted all of my memory..ssd and Hdd.
NO more overclocking for the CPU 2600k cause i dont think i have a bottle neck for now.
updated my bios , since i found out i never updated and always had the one from the CD which came with the mobo
then i re-installed the gtx680 drivers...made sure sli is synced....ect
then i downloaded new origin and new game+the DLC.

now my gpu usage on ultra and x2MSAA is like from 60 to 80 depending on the map and even goes 100+...so i dont know what fixed it but started from scratch did it,

NOW my question is i have 8GB ram do i need 16GB RAm ?????
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
angmar
Maha Guru
 
angmar's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
Processor: i7 3770k@ 4.7ghz h20
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: Mushkin DDR3 1600 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: OCZ 600 Watt 80 Plus
Default 11-14-2012, 07:42 | posts: 1,141 | Location: Monmouth County, NJ

try flashing bios i have a p8z68 and had a lot of gtx 680 issues i had to actually use my 480 until i got the latest bios which magically fixed it.

edit:motherboard bios not video bios.

Last edited by angmar; 11-14-2012 at 07:45.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Dillinger
Master Guru
 
Dillinger's Avatar
 
Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 980
Processor: INTEL I7 4790K
Mainboard: ASUS Z97-PRO
Memory: G.SKILL 8GB
Soundcard:
PSU: NZXT 850W
Default 11-14-2012, 10:10 | posts: 589

I experience nearly the same thing on BF3...

There's hardly any performance increase when lowering settings when SLi is enabled.

1920x1080 Ultra (4XMSAA + HABO) 85 FPS


1920x1080 Ultra (No MSAA or AO) 87 FPS


1920x1080 Lowest settings 119 FPS


Compared to SLi disabled...

1920x1080 Ultra (4XMSAA + HBAO) 51 FPS


1920x1080 (0XMSAA or AO) 74 FPS


1920x1080 Lowest settings 107 FPS


Disabling MSAA & AO without SLi show's a 23 FPS increase compared to the 3 FPS increase with SLi

It resembles a CPU bottleneck, but higher CPU clocks don't help much (11 FPS increase at 4.6GHz vs stock).

When forcing SGSSAA the FPS decrease is the same with SLi & non-SLi as if there isn't a CPU bottleneck. If there was a CPU bottleneck the performance drop with SGSSAA would be smaller with SLi.

I thought thing's would be different at a higher res, but now...maybe not.

When you get it sorted let me know...

*edit*

Never mind, I see you resolved the issue.

(I too had just reformatted, going to re-install the game)

Last edited by Dillinger; 11-15-2012 at 07:33.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.