Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by JonasBeckman, Nov 6, 2012.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Oh my.
    I hope he doesnt create a VR version, I'll live there!

I hope it doesnt require you to be connected to a server if playing single player.

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    One of my favourite games of all time,i spent more than afew thousand hrs on the Elite franchise consisting of 3 games and then you had the clones like FOFT(federation of free traders) glad its getting an update, i will be sending a donation.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    lol, was just gonna say veteran is going to be happy about this. I'm beginning to like kickstarter. seems like there's a lot of potential for quality games to come from it. let's have our fingers crossed they all fulfill what they promise.

5. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    Lame rewards, vague description, no concept art, not even a video? It feels like they want to ride the wave of Star Citizen and quickly throw their idea out there.

They ask for the same amount of money as Chris Roberts with SC ($2 million in total) yet have nothing to show so far (SC at least has a basic prototype ready)

6. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    Setting aside any cynicism about the fundraising, I'm pretty excited by this. David Braben is a very capable guy, although I think he has some weird ideas about what makes a game enjoyable. If you don't know what I'm talking about have look at the walkthrough of the main First Encounters missions.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Although SC looks good i do prefer the ships of Elite like the Viper, Imperial Trader and Panther Clipper, They all have much more charisma than the ones in SC so far as ive seen, not saying SC isnt gonna be good, but at the end of the day its still a clone and not a sequel to the original.

David Braben isnt as DUMB as what DICE are, He will give people what they want, If its not broke why fix it, Im sure this game will be great, He also said that people who have donated on kickstarter will be part of the creation and development process, I can see this game epic as long as the money targets are hit as its being co-developed with ideas from the hardcore playing fans of the originals.....DICE take NOTE!!

@eclap funny how we discussed this the other day in the Pcars thread with regards to Ian Bell, Maybe David Braben read my post lol:)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  8. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Hmmm. Really happy it is done and i'm very anxious to see how he does things differently since the 90ies.

BUT if you think back XvT and other games have totally changed the gameplay how space combat should be: fast, daring and using technical tricks.

Elite didnt have this. Fights were just about who had more MIL-LASERS aboard.

I hope to the gods of gaming that David takes a deep look at XvT before he starts working on a modern Elite.

Still, much appreciated :)

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  10. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Exciting news, I played Frontier Elite II on the Amiga back in the day.

11. -=Seany=-

-=Seany=- Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Great news (Big Frontier fan), but any chance of a Guru3D news article..to spread the word?

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i agree, It deserves it Hilbert, Groundbreaking in its day, Spawned lots of clones even today like EvE, definitley deserves the extra coverage.

Many people have been waiting 20 years or more for this game to be remade properly by the great Man himself.

13. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    and meeee! Seems like yesterday that I was playing Elite on the BBC Micro at school and the ZX Spectrum at home.

Played Elite II and Frontier on the Amiga 1200 and really wished I had the money to buy memeory, graphics accelerator, new CPU/FPU add-on for it!

Now I play it via WinUAE at hundreds of fps :)

Loved the news paper articles that some times stared you in them in Frontier. Gave you a feeling of being part of it and other things going on in the galaxy.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Forget Winuae for now, Try this remake its pretty good with Highres graphics and mods!
    The original save games from PC first encounters works with this also i still have my save from 20 years back!
    http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hiresffe.html

15. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Multiplayer in this will be awesome I'm sure.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Some interesting info, not about the game though but about the company and this Kickstarter campaign.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ith-massive-kickstarter-goal/#comment-1125451

We'll have to see how it goes, maybe it is just a attempt to save the company for a while longer or maybe they are actually getting somewhere with the game.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    14 years in development ? wow

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If the target of 1.25 is not hit everyone gets a refund, If the target gets hit 2 things can happen.

1. The game is made and everyone is happy
    2. The game dont get made and company claims bankruptcy, Nobody gets there money back.

Many people are willing to bet a small amount of cash if it means a brand new original Elite!!

If company goes bankrupt then Elite will truly die and Braben wont be trusted ever again, He will be tarnished forever in the world of Video games and it could ruin his career as a games dev.

I dont think Braben would do that tbh to all the Elite fans, Not to mention possibly be hated by the world wide gaming community.

If you look at it factually its worth the risk in my opinion.

New content and a Video is being uploaded tomorrow on kickstarter.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yes I read that they planned to release some footage, will be interesting to see. :)
    (It will likely also help this campaign if they have something to show of the product.)

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    New video and art work is up on kickstarter.