Wii U is Sweet!

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Penal Stingray, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    This is the First Time Nintendo has 3rd party developers making good games with better graphics than 360 and ps3.

1. Assasins Creed 3
    2. Mass Effect 3
    3. Batman Arkham City Armoured Edition
    4. Zombi U
    5. Rayman Legends
    6. Sonic Racing
    7. Trine 2
    8. Ninja Gaiden 3
    9. Pikmin 3
    10. DarkSiders 2
    11. Tekken Tag Tournament
    12. Black Ops 2
    13. Fifa 13
    12. Madden 13
    13. NBA 2k13
    AND MORE! this are just lunch titles expect Metroid Prime, Starfox adventures, Zelda and more Nintendo Exclusive which will take full power of the system that means blowing away 360 and ps3 interms of graphics and performance.

These games where never released on wii now almost all 3rd party developers are making games for wii u! not to mention the controller with it touch screen, motion sensing, ability to play rich colors and video! and not to mention wii u's gpu is a custom amd 7 series gpu that natively support directx 11 that alone is miles of mile away from nvidia 7800 GT on ps3 and ati x1800 XT on 360. where talking about hardware tesselation and dx 11 features now they said the cpu is weak thats because its still a new hardware and developers are still finding a way to unlock its full potention once they figure it out its one powerful console and this is coming from a hardcore pc gamer like me.

Edit: I took these quote from one of the developer for wii u that makes the game warriors orochi 3 hyper is like dynasty warriors which tons of tons of characters being rendered in the screen "But one of its strengths is said to be its custom AMD 7 series GPU, and the 1GB of RAM available to games: double that of the PS3 and Xbox 360"

Lunch Title Trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQurNiSnWr0

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    I know dude, I'm really looking forward to its launch

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Lunch trailers!? Sounds yummy!

But I can't wait for the wii u either!

4. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That's a biiig lunch!

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Everything I've read from sites and dev's stated wii u was no more powerful than 360/ps3. Where did you see it was? Last I read it did NOT have a dx11 chip.

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Consoles don't use dx they use OpenGL don't they?

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Neither really. It's just considered equal to dx/opengl features.

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Xbox uses some form of DX, PS3 and Wii used opengl

9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I did more reading. Apparently the wii u is basically as powerful as what's out now. The gpu is slightly stronger, the 1gb of ram is it's big one up on the ps3/360 but apparently the cpu is slower than those in the ps3/360 which kind of take away from the gpu.

Overall I wouldn't expect a huge jump in graphics, marginally better. I'm guessing how xbox was to ps2.

And it does not have dx11 capablities. It's built on dx10.

10. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...-wii-u-to-show-off-single-chip-ibmamd-cpu-gpu

I took the qoute from that article "while later statements claimed the AMD component as actually a Radeon 6770" well it used to be the radeon 7 sereis which was equivalent to 4000 series 10.1 but nintendo decided to cut the power cost and increase performance by using the 6770 which is DX 11 native, now compare 360 dx 9 an dx 11 features its miles away remember xbox 360 can barely render true 720p resolution which 1280 x 720 but it has a built in upscaler chip so basically 360 is not a true high definition console, while wii u can render true 720p and 1080p without using upscaler which will give u a lot better graphics.

Here is one example of game that blow 360 games in graphics already and its only a lunch title down the road the graphics will become better as developer take fully advantage and learn how to fully utilize the new hardware. the game looks a lot better in personal since this is just a low resolution screenshots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some Assasins Creed 3 Comparison PS3 VS Wii U notice how much detailed the texture on the wii u is and also wii u is a lot sharper but this is just a 3rd party games exclusives one will look a lot better. PS3 on the right Wii u On the Left, its no contest wii u just whoop ps3 its not equal at all im sorry man 7800 GT "PS3" and x1800 XT gpu "360" are way outdated compare to radeon 6770. there not on the same level.

[​IMG]

now if u talk about XBOX 720 or PS4 well those are better of course but 360 and ps3 are almost equal to wii u thats just stupid.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

11. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    ^^ Looks horrible quite frankly. The ground isn't textured well., the lighting effects are very bland, etc.

12. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    This is a realtime gameplay screenshots from Developer A game called ZombieU for wii u its one of the exclusive title Lunch. one thing for sure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if i recall zombiu is using tesselation already one of the first games to use tesselation on console. and this is just a lunch title next installment this game comes out its gonna have a lot better graphics and serotoninn i dont think radeon 4000 series with dx 10.1 can render this kind of graphics lol but a dx 11 with tesselation can ;)

13. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Sorry, but I disagree. My local Target has a Wii U display system already and I've tried it out. Not impressed at all. If you consider having the same level of graphics as the current consoles sweet then more power to you. And the controller is HUGE, did not like it at all and can't see it being enjoyable to play a game with it for any length of time. In my opinion, what the Wii U is offering now is too little, too late.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    You can't just look at the gpu and assume it's gonna look better and be better. As I stated before, Wii U has a slower processor than 360/ps3 - the gpu will have to compensate for that lack of cpu processing.

Even if the Wii U can do dx11 style graphics it needs the power to do such. You have a cpu in the 360, which you just said can barely manage dx9 @ 720p upscaled....well that xbox 360 cpu is stronger than what the Wii U has but because of it's gpu it's magically going to compensate for it and push out 1080p dx11 titles? Not likely. You also have to realize 3rd parties are going to be hesitant to make an exclusive on Wii U that utilizes any extra power the system may have. Nintendo's 3rd party relations are terrible, they charge more than anyone else to put a game on their machine and thanks to the unique controls, require more time developing.

My guess, you'll see a bevy of 3rd party games that are also on ps3/360 and look "slightly" better. That Creed comparison doesn't show me much at all. Pikmin looks very bland so graphics can stand out when there aren't many polygons on the screen to begin with. Zombie U looks good, I'll give you that. But it reminds me of Condemned, which ironically hit during the 360's launch. Boring, drab, but nice looking.

I hope Wii U can push the envelope of graphics for a year or so until ps4/720 hit, I'd like something that pushes things, I'm sick of dx9 level graphics or the jokes they call dx11 on pc (a port with a few tessellated heads, whoopie)

For myself, for the industry, I hope it works out. I just don't see the power there other than the memory which can help make more detailed textures.

15. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Thats funny retailer are sold out of wii u for preorders and more wil come for holiday this is just on september 2012 and today is october

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/728008/wii-u-pre-orders-sell-out-at-big-retailers/

I Copy this from G4tv article

The following retailers have sold out of the machine:

GameStop: Although GameStop still is taking orders for the "Basic" Wii U, the Deluxe version is gone..
    Best Buy: Ditto Best Buy. You can still get the cheap version, but the expensive one is gone.
    Toys R Us: The toy retailer has sold out of both versions of the Wii U.
    Target: Target has no pre-order for the Wii U left.
    Sears: Old-School retailer Sears is sold out too.
    K-Mart: The K lists the device as "coming soon."

little too late? i dont think so

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    That's maybe 100,000 systems. They aren't going to supply a full inventory so close to the Holidays. They'll want to generate a buzz and demand, people want what they can't have, they pulled the same thing with the original Wii. Gave excuses for short supply when in reality the hardware was 5 years old, readily available and cheap. Notice the minute you could walk into a store anytime and buy a Wii the demand fell off as did the system.

17. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    250,000 sold on game stop alone now u combine that to all retailers thats gonna be prolly hit 500,000 or more and closing in on holidays thats gonna go even further.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-gamestop-has-secured-250000-wii-u-pre-orders/

and wii U is already on short supply a lot of peeps bought it and thats is on still on september.

http://www.examiner.com/article/nin...t-supply-less-then-a-week-after-going-on-sale

this just shows u the console is going strong. nintendo may lost a lot of money on wii but they will claim it back with the wii u.

18. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    here are the bigger comparison screenshots of assasins creed 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lets take a closer look on the first screenshot wii u is sharper better textures on characters, better textures on enviroments, less blurry since ps3 gpu is using like quincunx anti-aliasing which just blur the image for performance in return but the wii u uses better anti aliasing technique due it its more powerful gpu, now look at the tree the trunks are bigger looks more solid as well as the characters that is due to tesselation

Now the second screenshots look at the roof the ps3 on the left is just plain bland now the wii u on the right the texture looks way detailed

alright i took this from gamespot.com from one of the editors heres what he said

Video's now added!!!

Compare the video's in the links the WiiU looks much better

PS3 Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bojYfbtsCw4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL727E7EA9F5953495

------------------------------------------------------

WiiU Gameplay Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AgcKKjxDME

---------------------------------------------------

WiiU version features

Sharper textures,

more characters on screen,

More consitent framerate

More defined color

AC3 PS3 left

WiiU Right

now if wii u has weak cpu why the hell it trumps the ps3 with better graphics, and better frame rates? well ill take a gpu over cpu anytime any day when it comes to gaming now ill take cpu over a gpu when it comes to browsing website and word processor but for video encoding u can use cuda like nvidia which the gpu act as a processor and its 4 to 5x faster than cpu.

19. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Now i might have to call this exaggeration but the wii is 19x powerful than ps3? prolly not but maybe?

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/10/0...ii-u-is-19x-more-powerful-than-playstation-3/

Wii u's cpu is actually an custom made IBM Power PC 7 Processor with 3 cores but each cores can support 4 threads at a time now the processor has bigger cache than ps3 and 360 and more threads backed up with a way more powerful gpu that is couple generations ahead well it could be 19x powerful than ps3 if the developers fully utilize the hardware. but will see as years pass by this is just a lunch titles and zombie u already obliterates any ps3 and xbox 360 has to offer graphics wise.

http://www.wiiuonly.com/2012/09/wii-u-cpu-ibms-watson-says-power7.html

the problem with wii u the system was under estimated and the cpu actually a powerful cpu it is based on ibm power pc 7 with each cores can do 4 threads a time 3x4 is 12 threads thats twice as much threads a 360 can do an it has a lot large L3 cache than 360 and ps3 dont even have L3 cache at all that why 3rd party developer dont like it and gets lazy to developed games for it which result in less better looking than 360. i mean it jsut obvious u have a gamepad that can render video and s.tream the game in real time at the same time on the sytem and on the gamepad itself i mean that takes a lot of bandwith and processing power if the cpu is weak that is just not possible at all.

This is what a power pc 7 processor can do but the wii u was cut from quadcore to a tri-core to save power. which makes wii u a efficient system and powerful at the same time but i dont think its gonna be on the same level of ps4 or xbox 720 or whatever they call it but will see later down the road.

[​IMG]

20. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Cool but this time I have a good PC so I'm very not hyped. I had a 7600gt and Pentium 4 when Wii/PS3 released. Of course I wanted a console :p