AMD Ati radeon hd 5650 driver update

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bwa, Oct 21, 2012.

1. bwa

bwa Guest

GPU:
    AMD Ati 5650
    Hi!

I have searched the forum but not got a clear answer about my issue..

So, I am trying to update my switchable (AMD+AMD) Ati mobility radeon hd 5650/ati mobility radeon hd 4200 series drivers. First I downloaded the most recent driver 12.8 from Amd/Ati web page by selecting the right options, but installing the driver did not work. after a reboot of the system it informed me that there are no current graphic drivers installed. Then windows updated popped up for me to updated the drivers, so I did but they were again the old ones from 2010, now I'm back at square one again.. next I downloaded the AMD/Ati autodetect prog. and it said I can updated the secondary card (radeon hd 4200 series), it updated it to 12.6. The Ati autodetect only detects the 2 card, not my primary card, why??

So, my question is how can I update my primary card drivers Amd ati mobility radeon hd 5650?

- HP Pavilion dv7-4138eo
    - AMD Turion II P540
    - Display adapters: Ati mobility radeon hd 4200 series/Ati mobility radeon hd 5650
    - Win7

Thank you!

2. SamuelMaki

SamuelMaki Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gigabyte 670 OC
    Try to use 12.4, it is the latest that supports both cards... Or use 11.11c driver because some people say it is the best for those cards...

3. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    There's also the 12.6 Legacy driver.

In case of Mobility cards drivers, just don't use AMD's auto-detect.
    Most of the time it'd just show you as 'incompatible' simply because you use the same card but from a different laptop manufacturer that AMD officially support.

And there's next to no point updating drivers anymore for these cards, unless you appreciate minuscule fps differences that's just within error margins anyway.
    I've stopped updating ever since 11.11c, the last set that has proper DXVA support for my 5650.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  4. bwa

bwa Guest

GPU:
    AMD Ati 5650
    Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

I tried first 12.4 (download>open the exe>install>restart), checked through device manager the driver, but it's still the old one from 2010. Same with 11.11c.

It does not updated the drivers..

Any other options?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

5. bwa

bwa Guest

GPU:
    AMD Ati 5650
    Through AMD's auot-detect it updated my secondary card hd 4200 series to that 12.6 legacy, but did not update the primary hd 5650, thats the one I want updated, so how can I update to 11.11c?

Thanks!

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Because HD 4200 is not a Mobility card, that's why it detected that just fine.
    To update to 11.11c you probably just have to get the installer and run it.
    I have no experience on updating switchable AMD-AMD graphics, by the way, but Beta drivers usually support all cards, from desktop to Mobility.

7. bwa

bwa Guest

GPU:
    AMD Ati 5650
    Just to inform, I got the drivers updated.

I had to use driver sweeper, and first I tried to update to 12.8, but that didn't work. So I wiped all the drivers again and used Ati auto-detect and it recommended 12.6 legacy > downloaded, and now when I look in device manager > Display, I see that both cards are now updated and not the original 2010 driver's anymore.

:banana:

Thanks for the help!!