AMD Kabini APU launch in first half of 2013

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Kabini SoC APU - AMD revealed it has taped out numerous of its 2013 products and that there are many working chips from the 2013 product lineup at the company's labs.

AMD Kabini APU launch in first half of 2013

2. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Kinda grown attached to my Core i5 2500K, even though I do have a FX-8120 in my spare rig.
    For some reason, I don't think I'll be 'upgrading' any time soon, as I'm really happy with what I've got, which is something I didn't ever expect to see myself type. ;)

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This is the exact architecture that AMD needs to pull itself out of its pit. If it doesn't deliver on this architecture, then sell your shares as fast as possible because it won't be able to compete in the mobile market (tablet, etc) which is where the money will be made.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ARM is where to go. If I knew 10 years ago what I know now, I would of avoided AMD like the plague. But that's the risk of investing in a tech company.

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    You know ARM and AMD are working together since years, and actual and future ARM ( 9 and v15 and next ) are /will be designed in collaboration with AMD, not only on the hardware side, but specifically too on the language, API and instruction side ? ( hardware side, this is specifically for allow ARM integration on different level of x86system, by design the architecture differently ( using the same interconnect, the same C++ for storage and memory, use and bring compatibility with x86 GPU ( Nvidia and AMD ), by use the same language..

If the next Mali 6004 support DX11, you think it is a pure hasard ? , if the next ARM 15v can support C++ and other specific x86 language API, this is a pure hasard ?, and if they can finally be connected on x86 system and use the same data and instruction, this is a pure hasard ? ( For example an ARM CPU, with the work of AMD have bring to it, can now use the same data stored in memory of a CPU x86 and vice versa, an cpu x86&GPUx86 can use the data treated by an ARM architecture and use them.. this was impossible before .. ( thanks too to bring compatibility on the interconnect on server and language on ARM architecture side for it, developp new bridge and instruction level on ARM side by side with AMD )

Why do you think, there's yet 3 groups made of ARM+AMD ? ( HSA; Common Plateform etc etc ). 2 years ago, AMD allready annonced there collaboration with ARM for the developpement of the ARM architecture..

Nvidia is doing low base ARM based architecture ( tegra ), Intel is fighting for is own.. AMD is doing a complete different things, they are at the base of ARM architecture developpement today and for the next years.

Even the next APU "brick" system unveiled this year by AMD completely integrate the ARM architecture.. you can design your Soc or APU like you will:

- AMD x86 CPU + AMD x86 GPU ( HD 8000 )
    - AMD x86 CPU + MALI "ARM " or PowerVR etc GPU
    - ARM CPU + AMD x86 GPU ( HD8000 )
    - AMD CPU x86 + ARM x86 CPU + HD 8000 x86GPU or MALI/PowerVX / or both .
    etc etc ..

This pass offcourse by bring total compatibiliy between x86 and ARM architectures, and this pass offcourse by the HSA Fundation . ( AMD fundation with co funding members: ARM, Samsung, Texas Instrument, Qualcomm etc.

The AMD plan is extremely simple and well working: they are on the hardware side of both x86 and ARM, on the software of both x86 and ARM, they are on the base on the language, the API for both x86 and ARM ..

When Nvidia is just integrate ARM based cpu and create SOC based on them ( their only line of defense against APU ( whatever they are made by AMD or Intel ) , AMD is on base level of developpement of ARM and x86.. Instead of fight ( as Intel is doing ), they are collaborating with ARM and developp a next architecture based on ARM and x86 on all level of the computing need.

It have less impact on a direct market approach as for the example have Tegra, but on the long run ...

The roadmap seems clear when HSA is everywhere ( I ask me if we will see the HSA term too on all Samsung, ARM; Qualcomm, TI roadmap )
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Arm and AMD should merge and make lots of babies. :nerd:

7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

In a certain way, this is alllready the case ...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  8. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    i know trinity is only just out but i hope they don't wait late into 2013 to release Kaveri on the same socket :)
    if they can get another 30% on trinity then that's a nice increase on what was already a 20-25% increase on llano at that level the gpu must not be too far off a 5770? given that the pair up for a A10 is a 6670 or am i being too optimistic

beyond that the FM3 should be quad channel memory and will ramp up APU speed a fair bit, given how things converge and how small there making laptop GPU's now ( 7970m is a -10% 7970 desktop!) i think if amd are still around that will be a game changer for many offering potentially 7770 performance. Its tempting when it comes for free with the cpu and you can crossfire nice too for not much cash

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Hey, maybe it's powerful enough to power my media centre and host my home server (which is in a VM environment). If it is possible, hell, I'll rebuild my media centre with it (assuming there's a microATX motherboard with it).

deltatux