Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

NAND flash memory might get too dense at 10nm
Old
  (#1)
Hilbert Hagedoorn
Don Vito Corleone

Videocard: AMD | NVIDIA
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: Z77
Memory: 8GB
Soundcard: X-Fi - GigaWorks 7.1
PSU: 1200 Watt
Default NAND flash memory might get too dense at 10nm - 10-13-2012, 08:00 | posts: 20,999 | Location: Guru3D testlab

The adoption rate of Solid state disks is fast and they are getting faster and faster. To gain higher volume sizes the NAND ICs need to shrink and that could pose an issue*in the near future. Shrinkin...

NAND flash memory might get too dense at 10nm

Old
  (#2)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Seasonic X-850
Default 10-13-2012, 08:05 | posts: 13,390 | Location: USA

I would love to see DRAM speeds on a SSD before I die.

Old
  (#3)
Chouji
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 19 inch flat screen
Processor: 500 gigabyte cpu, FAST!?
Mainboard: The case is black
Memory: Ram? Male sheep?
Soundcard: Sound card? Like a CD?
PSU: duh, wall socket
Default 10-13-2012, 08:37 | posts: 5,632 | Location: In a house, on a hill, by a road.

I like the stacking idea.

Here's what my imagination put out.
Instead of 16 side by side chips, just thin the insulation and just make it thicker with more layers, and build an ultra high speed controller into each stack. If done right, you can have multi SSD raid performance from a single SSD Drive. Maybe even use dip style switches, or software/firmware/drive-bios configurable options. I'm thinking in the multi TB range for these drives, few years in the future.
So someone can access the bios, either by bootup disk, or within the OS from another computer (use the drive as a secondary) and reconfigure the "stacks" into different raid configurations. Normally the stacks would be configured into raid-0, imagine each stack having the same performance as a standard SSD, and maybe having 8 stacks in a single drive. So like having 8 mini-SSDs in raid-0, each stack with it's own controller.
Or you can split them into Raid-1, half the space, but greatly increased data protection. (if data protection is even a factor in 10 years). And everything would be done by a primary controller, entirely transparent to the computer, even so much as allowing the entire drive to have a second layer of raid, with two of these drives.

If you can't make it denser, or wider, make it taller.
I could easily imagine a desktop 3.5" SSD made in this fashion, holding 32-64TB with write speeds in excess of 50GByte/sec. Using silicon chips. This considering some PCI-E 4x SSDs can exceed 2GB/s already.
If using something else such as graphene, or another tech, the transfer speeds would be in the 500Gbyte-1Tbyte sec range. At which point we would no longer need system RAM.
Simply click on a game EXE and you're loaded, < 1sec. Select your savegame, and another second later, everything is loaded.
I can't even comprehend the controller, or plug needed to attach such a drive. But it would probably socket onto the motherboard like a CPU.

Old
  (#4)
chilly willy
Master Guru

Videocard: Vapor-X R9-270X
Processor: AMD FX 8350
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97 AM3+
Memory: 16gb ddr3 1866
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic M12II 750W
Default 10-13-2012, 09:16 | posts: 513 | Location: chicago area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouji View Post
I like the stacking idea.

Here's what my imagination put out.
Instead of 16 side by side chips, just thin the insulation and just make it thicker with more layers, and build an ultra high speed controller into each stack. If done right, you can have multi SSD raid performance from a single SSD Drive. Maybe even use dip style switches, or software/firmware/drive-bios configurable options. I'm thinking in the multi TB range for these drives, few years in the future.
So someone can access the bios, either by bootup disk, or within the OS from another computer (use the drive as a secondary) and reconfigure the "stacks" into different raid configurations. Normally the stacks would be configured into raid-0, imagine each stack having the same performance as a standard SSD, and maybe having 8 stacks in a single drive. So like having 8 mini-SSDs in raid-0, each stack with it's own controller.
Or you can split them into Raid-1, half the space, but greatly increased data protection. (if data protection is even a factor in 10 years). And everything would be done by a primary controller, entirely transparent to the computer, even so much as allowing the entire drive to have a second layer of raid, with two of these drives.

If you can't make it denser, or wider, make it taller.
I could easily imagine a desktop 3.5" SSD made in this fashion, holding 32-64TB with write speeds in excess of 50GByte/sec. Using silicon chips. This considering some PCI-E 4x SSDs can exceed 2GB/s already.
If using something else such as graphene, or another tech, the transfer speeds would be in the 500Gbyte-1Tbyte sec range. At which point we would no longer need system RAM.
Simply click on a game EXE and you're loaded, < 1sec. Select your savegame, and another second later, everything is loaded.
I can't even comprehend the controller, or plug needed to attach such a drive. But it would probably socket onto the motherboard like a CPU.
the way things are going by the time tech like that would exist the desktop as we know it might look and act completely different

Old
  (#5)
BarryB
Master Guru

Videocard: Palit Super Jetstream 780
Processor: i7 4770K + Kraken X60
Mainboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH-Z87 1405
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek ALC1150
PSU: Corsair AX1200 1200w
Default 10-13-2012, 22:31 | posts: 794

WOW!! I must on 10nm memory already as my Physics teacher always said I was too 'dense' to understand, now I know why

Old
  (#6)
HeavyHemi
Ancient Guru

Videocard: SLI TITAN SC @ 1097/3105
Processor: i7 980x 4.3 Ghz 1.35 v
Mainboard: EVGA X58 E758
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Dom 2000
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: CORSAIR AX1200
Default 10-13-2012, 23:22 | posts: 3,521 | Location: Wooing whilst wearing only socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
WOW!! I must on 10nm memory already as my Physics teacher always said I was too 'dense' to understand, now I know why