Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Closed Thread

Old
  (#51)
XRyche

Videocard: Nvidia GTX 460 1 GB
Processor: AMD Phenom 2 3.4 Ghz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 600 Watt
Default 09-25-2012, 21:03 | posts: 12

JanWillem32 has a very good brightness/contrast/gamma shader in his "Video pixel shader pack 1.4" at http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?025vsef8ads6t5x . It's for video but I'm sure you can adapt it. All his shaders have good notations and I'm reasonably sure he won't have issues with you using it as long as you ask. I mean the whole shader pack is public after all even has GNU.

Last edited by XRyche; 09-25-2012 at 23:25.

Old
  (#52)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Videocard: Radeon 6870
Processor: Intel Q6600
Mainboard:
Memory: DDR2 4GB
Soundcard: Realtek HD onboard
PSU: Corsair 450VX
Default 09-25-2012, 21:29 | posts: 611 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRyche View Post
JanWillem32 has a very good brightness/contrast/gamma in his "Video pixel shader pack 1.4" at http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?025vsef8ads6t5x . It's for video but I'm sure you can adapt it. All his shaders have good notations and I'm reasonably sure he won't have issues with you using it as long as you ask. I mean the whole shader pack is public after all even has GNU.
I know - I discussed it and my lumasharpen shader with him early this year on Doom9.org

Old
  (#53)
ochentay4

Videocard: AMD Radeon 6850 / 6320M
Processor: Intel i7-3770 / AMD E-450
Mainboard: GA-Z77M-D3H (rev 1.0) F12
Memory: 8GB 1866 / 4GB 1333
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-26-2012, 01:55 | posts: 14 | Location: Argentina

Holy crap this mod is uber fantastic! I tried it on Borderlands 2 and looks really good.

I tried to understand how to configure the mod but it is really difficult. How can I increase picture quality of SMAA and the mod overall?

Old
  (#54)
Radical_53
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 670
Processor: Intel i7-2600k
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming
Memory: 16GB G.Skill TridentX
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster ZXR
PSU: Seasonic X-460 Fanless
Default 09-26-2012, 09:22 | posts: 2,977 | Location: Germany

Thanks alot for this handy little "tool"! The quality is great and it seems to have huge potential.

@beta: Did you post your BF3 settings somewhere or would you care to share them? I tried the settings I used with the FXAA Injector previously and it looked all funny
The colortone setting made the whole picture yellow (instead of a slight tint) and the Technicolor was like wearing really dark shades.
I like the AA in your pictures as I think BF3 has the worst default AA of any game out at the moment and at the same time the biggest need for good quality AA.

Old
  (#55)
Crugath
Member Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 660 Ti 2GB PE
Processor: 2500k 4GHz & Venomous X
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Memory: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Realtek ALC892
PSU: Corsair HX 520
Default 09-26-2012, 11:46 | posts: 58 | Location: Guildford, UK

SweetFX is great! Thanks for creating it

If I may, I have a small suggestion I'd like to make for a future release...

Not sure how easy this would be to do, but I'd love to see a film grain shader added.

Something like the film grain available in Left 4 Dead and Black Mesa, I think that would add a lot of atmosphere to a large amount of titles. Especially when combined with other things like technicolour or sepia toning.

Thanks

Old
  (#56)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 09-26-2012, 12:09 | posts: 611 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crugath View Post
SweetFX is great! Thanks for creating it

If I may, I have a small suggestion I'd like to make for a future release...

Not sure how easy this would be to do, but I'd love to see a film grain shader added.

Something like the film grain available in Left 4 Dead and Black Mesa, I think that would add a lot of atmosphere to a large amount of titles. Especially when combined with other things like technicolour or sepia toning.

Thanks
That's currently not possible to do because the injector dll does not provide a frame number to the shaders.
I need that to make the film grain different from one frame to another frame or the film grain would be static.

Old
  (#57)
Crugath
Member Guru

Default 09-26-2012, 12:18 | posts: 58 | Location: Guildford, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay.dk View Post
That's currently not possible to do because the injector dll does not provide a frame number to the shaders.
I need that to make the film grain different from one frame to another frame or the film grain would be static.
Ah, fair enough, I thought it'd probably be trickier than I imagined. Thank you very much for the input. And thanks again for the work you've put in!

Old
  (#58)
eclap
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7950 CFX + Qnix QX2710
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: SB Z/Aune T1/AD700/DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 09-26-2012, 12:23 | posts: 24,336 | Location: Hampshire UK

any chance to get this working with wow? i know it works with the 32bit .exe and AA set to 1x in the game, but then it looks a bit jaggy still. tried forcing AA via inspector but it didn't work. basically i want to run 4xAA at least with this on top. is it in any way possible?

Old
  (#59)
MaLDo
Master Guru

Videocard: Tri-SLI GTX680
Processor: 2700K @ 5 Ghz
Mainboard: G1 Sniper 3
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
Soundcard:
PSU: Enermax 1250W
Default 09-26-2012, 13:54 | posts: 412 | Location: Barcelona

Quote:
I'm absolutely neewie about shaders but can't you apply some kind of math over the actual frame to calculate a random grain.

Or, can you apply film grain in a second pass over the image next to filter shader and hide a secuential number over the first pass. Imagine a nearly invisible counter in a corner that you can detect when film grain shader occurs.

Maybe I'm saying a nosense, of course.

Old
  (#60)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 09-26-2012, 14:18 | posts: 611 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLDo View Post
I'm absolutely neewie about shaders but can't you apply some kind of math over the actual frame to calculate a random grain.

Or, can you apply film grain in a second pass over the image next to filter shader and hide a secuential number over the first pass. Imagine a nearly invisible counter in a corner that you can detect when film grain shader occurs.

Maybe I'm saying a nosense, of course.
I could sample mipmaps from the current frame and use that as a seed for the random function that makes the film grain, and as long as the image changes enough from from to frame that would work (although it would run a little bit slower) - however once nothing in the image changes .. neither would the film grain - it would be just as static as the image.

This would likely be disturbing .. sometimes the grain would be random and sometimes it would be static.

I also can't pass data from one frame to another because the injector only lets me access data from the current frame - it does not store the previous frame, so all the shaders can see is the current image.
Even if I put in an invisible number/pixel in the image (which is very easy - I can use the alpha channel for that), that number would be gone at the very next frame.

EDIT:
If it was possible to get a hold of Mr.Haandi and get him to implement a frame counter in the injector (it would probably be easy .. it's just an incrementing variable) then it would be possible to make a film grain shader, but like [somedude] who made the first injector he is very hard to contact.
He stopped updating his blog and reading the comments on it many months ago.

Last edited by CeeJay.dk; 09-26-2012 at 14:24.

Old
  (#61)
MaLDo
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 09-26-2012, 14:23 | posts: 412 | Location: Barcelona

Quote:
I could sample mipmaps from the current frame and use that as a seed for the random function that makes the film grain, and as long as the image changes enough from from to frame that would work (although it would run a little bit slower) - however once nothing in the image changes .. neither would the film grain - it would be just as static as the image.

This would likely be disturbing .. sometimes the grain would be random and sometimes it would be static.

I also can't pass data from one frame to another because the injector only lets me access data from the current frame - it does not store the previous frame, so all the shaders can see is the current image.
Even if I put in an invisible number/pixel in the image (which is very easy - I can use the alpha channel for that), that number would be gone at the very next frame.
Random functions not exists in shaders?

About the invisible number I'm talking in the case you have two passes (for example 1-luma sharpen and 2-film grain) and info can travel from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 using hidden info into the frame.

Old
  (#62)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 09-26-2012, 14:31 | posts: 611 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Random functions not exists in shaders?

About the invisible number I'm talking in the case you have two passes (for example 1-luma sharpen and 2-film grain) and info can travel from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 using hidden info into the frame.
Yes , between the passes .. but not the frames - which is what I need.

And no - there is no random function for pixel shaders.
You have to either sample a random noise texture - which I can't because I can't load custom textures with the InjectSMAA dll ..
Or you could make a pseudo random function with math - which I could do (actually I already have made such a shader for MPC), but I would still need a seed number that changed from frame to frame.

Old
  (#63)
MaLDo
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 09-26-2012, 14:56 | posts: 412 | Location: Barcelona

Quote:
Yes , between the passes .. but not the frames - which is what I need.

And no - there is no random function for pixel shaders.
You have to either sample a random noise texture - which I can't because I can't load custom textures with the InjectSMAA dll ..
Or you could make a pseudo random function with math - which I could do (actually I already have made such a shader for MPC), but I would still need a seed number that changed from frame to frame.
so forgive me if I repeat but at least I can learn something from you XD

If you can pass information between the passes, you can increase this information. Or last pass information can not go to first (first of the next frame) again?

Old
  (#64)
Leviathan-
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 6GB XMS3 DDR3 1600Mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster Arena
PSU: Corsair AW1200
Default 09-26-2012, 15:43 | posts: 455 | Location: Portugal

Ceejay, been testing the injector in pCARS and ill i have to say is ... LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51646791/PCa...enshot8890.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51646791/PCa...nshot11195.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51646791/PCa...nshot24580.jpg

Old
  (#65)
Crugath
Member Guru

Default 09-26-2012, 16:48 | posts: 58 | Location: Guildford, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan- View Post
Great screenshots!

I've just tried to take a few screenshots myself, using MSI Afterburner, and I have the "Enable compatability with modified Direct3D runtime libraries" option checked, but when I take screenshots, the image is saved before any SweetFX processing. Any one got any ideas?

Old
  (#66)
EpicLoss
Maha Guru

Videocard: ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
Processor: Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz 1.4125v
Mainboard: Gigabyte P43 DS3R
Memory: 4gb ddr2 kingston hyperX
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek HD
PSU: Cooler master GX 550
Default 09-26-2012, 17:08 | posts: 1,007 | Location: Midlands/UK

try this way...

hit print screen then open up paint and hit ctrl+v and then save as whatever you want

Old
  (#67)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 09-26-2012, 17:16 | posts: 611 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
so forgive me if I repeat but at least I can learn something from you XD

If you can pass information between the passes, you can increase this information. Or last pass information can not go to first (first of the next frame) again?
It's hard to explain without repeating myself.

Maybe some basic theory on how rendering works will help.

Normally the image you see is rendered using two buffers (this is called double buffering)
One buffer holds the image you see - this is called the front buffer.

While the you are shown the front buffer the GPU is rendering the next frame into another buffer - the back buffer.

It renders all the pixels (usually from top to bottom) - this is called a pass.
It can then do another pass where it reads from the previous pass if needed, or as many passes as is needed - developer tries hard to keep the number of passes low as they take time and performance is critical.

Single-pass or multiple pass - once it's done with that frame it flips the buffers.

The back buffer becomes the front buffer and the front buffer is cleared and becomes the new back buffer .. a fresh clean slate to write the next frame on while the new front buffer is being displayed on screen.

Normally a game would do maybe one pass to the back buffer and then flip the buffers.
With a shader injector, it does it's passes, and then the shader injector does another pass (or more - the InjectSMAA injector I use for SweetFX does 3) and then when the frame is finally done, the frame buffers are flipped again.

The injector only lets me read from the back buffer as it was after the game had finished it's lass pass. It does not let me read from the previous frame that is being displayed in the front buffer (it could but that not how it was programmed) and no data from previous frames is retained in the backbuffer because it is cleared before the game starts rendering to it and even if it wasn't the game would overwrite the data.

Old
  (#68)
Leviathan-
Master Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 6GB XMS3 DDR3 1600Mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster Arena
PSU: Corsair AW1200
Default 09-26-2012, 17:25 | posts: 455 | Location: Portugal

Quote:
Great screenshots!

I've just tried to take a few screenshots myself, using MSI Afterburner, and I have the "Enable compatability with modified Direct3D runtime libraries" option checked, but when I take screenshots, the image is saved before any SweetFX processing. Any one got any ideas?
Use the injector screenshot instead of that.

A few more screenshots that were uploading and i couldnt post @ my folder

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9loe4f7errktern/pKTAC_Id5z/PCars%20Screenshots/25%20September

(i know today is not the 25th :p )

This is an amazing work Ceejay, thank you so much again!

Last edited by Leviathan-; 09-26-2012 at 17:29.

Old
  (#69)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 09-26-2012, 17:26 | posts: 611 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Great screenshots!

The easiest is to use the injectors own screenshot function - it always works.
It's mapped to Printscreen by default and saves the screenshotxxxx.bmp files in the same folder as SweetFX is in.

To capture video, try dxtory or playclaw.

Old
  (#70)
TFL Replica
Master Guru

Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 570
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair 1600MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
PSU: PCP&C Silencer 750w
Default 09-26-2012, 18:24 | posts: 369

Any rough estimate on when SweetFX 1.2 will be out? I'm thinking of doing a performance comparison.

Old
  (#71)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 09-26-2012, 18:36 | posts: 611 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
Any rough estimate on when SweetFX 1.2 will be out? I'm thinking of doing a performance comparison.
When I deem it ready. Hopefully before monday.

Old
  (#72)
TFL Replica
Master Guru

Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 570
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair 1600MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
PSU: PCP&C Silencer 750w
Default 09-26-2012, 18:57 | posts: 369

Quote:
When I deem it ready. Hopefully before monday.
Nice, can't wait.

Old
  (#73)
Peakr

Videocard: EVGA GTX 470
Processor: i7 3930K
Mainboard: GA-X79-UD3
Memory: 4x2GB F3-12800CL6
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeMusic
PSU: Corsair TX850
Default 09-26-2012, 19:10 | posts: 13 | Location: Home of the Sun Devils

Any chance of getting some brightness control in Torchlight 2? The game surprisingly doesn't offer this feature. I've tried the tonemap settings but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

Nevermind, it seems to be working now. Great tool

Last edited by Peakr; 09-26-2012 at 20:10.

Old
  (#74)
CeeJay.dk
Master Guru

Mainboard:
Default 09-26-2012, 20:23 | posts: 611 | Location: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFL Replica View Post
Nice, can't wait.
It's really just minor tweaks to the performance and a fix to dither.
Also hotkeys for preset if I get it done before monday - that's the real feature of 1.2

Old
  (#75)
BetA
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
Processor: Q9550@3,8Ghz@Vendetta2
Mainboard: Asus P5Q Ketīs mBIOS :)
Memory: 4x2048 OCZ-REAPER 1080Mhz
Soundcard: CreativeX-FI X-tremeGamer
PSU: Corsair VX550W 550 Watt
Default 09-26-2012, 23:57 | posts: 3,653 | Location: outside the Box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_53 View Post
Thanks alot for this handy little "tool"! The quality is great and it seems to have huge potential.

@beta: Did you post your BF3 settings somewhere or would you care to share them? I tried the settings I used with the FXAA Injector previously and it looked all funny
The colortone setting made the whole picture yellow (instead of a slight tint) and the Technicolor was like wearing really dark shades.
I like the AA in your pictures as I think BF3 has the worst default AA of any game out at the moment and at the same time the biggest need for good quality AA.
Wahh, sorry mate, guess i forgott to post my settings, hehe..

ok, here we go...

1. INGAME: Both AA OFF...

2. SweetFX settings:

Quote:
/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
/ Choose effects /
'-----------------------------------------------------------*/

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN 1 //Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_BLOOM 0 // Bloom makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR 0 // Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR 0
#define USE_TONEMAP 0
#define USE_VIBRANCE 1 //Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_SEPIA 0
#define USE_VIGNETTE 0 //Darkens the edges of the image to make it more look like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER 0 //Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts.

/ SMAA Anti-aliasing settings /

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.12 // (0.08-0.20) Edge detection threshold
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 32 // [0-98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16 // [0-16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 0 // [0-100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1 // 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0 // Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.

/ LumaSharpen settings /
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength 0.4 // (0.2-2.0)Strength of the sharpening
#define sharp_clamp 0.040 // [0.0-1.0]Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.050

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern 2 // Choose a sample pattern [ 1, 2, 3 or 4 ] - I suggest 2
#define offset_bias 1.0 // [0.0-6.0](1.0) Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
// I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug settings --
#define splitscreen 0 // Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode. Left side is before.
#define show_sharpen 0 // Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

/ Bloom settings /
#define BloomThreshold 20.25
#define BloomPower 1.446
#define BloomWidth 0.0142

/ HDR settings /
#define HDRPower 1.40 //Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
#define radius2 0.95 //Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

/ TECHNICOLOR settings /
#define TechniAmount 0.11
#define TechniPower 2.8
#define redNegativeAmount 0.88
#define greenNegativeAmount 0.88
#define blueNegativeAmount 0.88

/ Tonemap settings /
#define Gamma 1.0
#define Exposure -0.1
#define Saturation 0
#define Bleach 0
#define Defog 0.01
#define FogColor float4(2.55, 2.55, 0, 0)

/ Vibrance settings /
#define Vibrance 0.2 //Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

/ Sepia settings /
#define ColorTone float3(1.12, 0.66, 0.20)
#define SepiaPower 0.11
#define GreyPower 0.88

/ Vignette settings /
#define VignetteRadius 1.05 // lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount -1.0 // Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.
#define VignetteSlope 8 // How far away from the center the change should start to really grow strong (odd numbers cause a larger fps drop than even numbers)
#define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500) // Center of screen for effect.

/ Dither settings /
//No settings yet, beyond switching it on or off in the top section.

SMAA i did set to the highest setting i can..Quality wise..32/16
I did set Sharpen between 0.4 and 0.5...
Vibrance i use/d around 0.2 - 0.5, depends on the Map/Game, etc..some allready have good colors like the new Armored Kill maps..
IMPORTANT: IN BF3 Set SMAA CORNER ROUNDING to "0"

Jup, these are my only settings i use now for BF3..its good AA and the little sharoening also makes a nice difference, but not too much so u would get strange oversharpen or looks unreal..

Hope that helps...

-BetA-

Closed Thread