Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA
Videocards - NVIDIA This forum is all about NVIDIA graphics cards and their technology. Do you have a question regarding an older GeForce videocard? Want to tell people how stylish a game works on that new shiny watercooled GeForce GTX 580 or SLI gaming rig? Get in here!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
GTX 480 vs GTX 660Ti
Old
  (#1)
Adi6293
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.5Gh
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630W be quiet!
Smile GTX 480 vs GTX 660Ti - 08-24-2012, 01:05 | posts: 22

Hi guys, recently nVidia released theirs new mid-range card GTX 660Ti. I was thinking about changing my current GTX 480 to GTX 660Ti. I have saw quite a few reviews but I cant really see much GTX 480 in there so I couldn't compare both cards. I could sell my card for 180 so the change would cost me about 65. What do you think about the change, is it worth my while??
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
eclap
Ancient Guru
 
eclap's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 08-24-2012, 01:23 | posts: 26,639 | Location: Hampshire UK

if you can sell the gtx 480 for 180, I say it's worth it. My problem is that my gtx 480 is running quite a nice overclock and it's about as fast as a gtx 580. so for me the gtx 660ti would only get me a few fps and the upgrade would cost me around 100 after selling the gtx 480 so for me it's just not worth it. but yeah, if I could upgrade for 65, I'd probably go for it.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
serbicu
Maha Guru
 
serbicu's Avatar
 
Videocard: ASUS GTX780 DCU2OC
Processor: I7-2700K|4.8Ghz|H80
Mainboard: Sabertooth Z77
Memory: 8G Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty
PSU: Corsair HX850W
Default 08-24-2012, 08:15 | posts: 1,270 | Location: Romania

Wait for the next nvidia cards.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Adi6293
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.5Gh
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630W be quiet!
Smile 08-24-2012, 12:45 | posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
if you can sell the gtx 480 for 180, I say it's worth it. My problem is that my gtx 480 is running quite a nice overclock and it's about as fast as a gtx 580. so for me the gtx 660ti would only get me a few fps and the upgrade would cost me around 100 after selling the gtx 480 so for me it's just not worth it. but yeah, if I could upgrade for 65, I'd probably go for it.
Nice overclock on your card. I overclocked my card to 775/1950, I have the stock fan and it makes so much noise, sometimes I think I am used to it but then I play another game and it gets even louder, the temps I am reaching are 94C GTX 660Ti have TDP of 150W while GTX 480 has 250W, another bonus is that I would receive copy of Borderlands 2, I am planning to buy it anyway and the game its worth 30 so if I take 30 away form 65 it turns out the upgrade would cost me 35.
Hmmm I dont know what to do anymore
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
crap daddy
Master Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX570 SC
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz Turbo
Mainboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: Corsair TX650
Default 08-24-2012, 13:04 | posts: 753 | Location: close to the edge

You can consider that the 480 is just a tad slower than a GTX570 so here you go:

   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Adi6293
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.5Gh
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630W be quiet!
Smile 08-24-2012, 13:23 | posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crap daddy View Post
You can consider that the 480 is just a tad slower than a GTX570 so here you go:

Yeah I had a look at this performance graph. I would expect about 18% performance increase if we're talking stock gtx 480 to stock gtx 660Ti plus less noise, heat and lower consumption. I would say its worth 35 just cant make my final decision
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
eclap
Ancient Guru
 
eclap's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 08-24-2012, 13:26 | posts: 26,639 | Location: Hampshire UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi6293 View Post
Nice overclock on your card. I overclocked my card to 775/1950, I have the stock fan and it makes so much noise, sometimes I think I am used to it but then I play another game and it gets even louder, the temps I am reaching are 94C GTX 660Ti have TDP of 150W while GTX 480 has 250W, another bonus is that I would receive copy of Borderlands 2, I am planning to buy it anyway and the game its worth 30 so if I take 30 away form 65 it turns out the upgrade would cost me 35.
Hmmm I dont know what to do anymore
Yeah, i have a shaman on it, gaming temps are 70C and its super quiet
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
crap daddy
Master Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX570 SC
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz Turbo
Mainboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: Corsair TX650
Default 08-24-2012, 13:29 | posts: 753 | Location: close to the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi6293 View Post
Yeah I had a look at this performance graph. I would expect about 18% performance increase if we're talking stock gtx 480 to stock gtx 660Ti plus less noise, heat and lower consumption. I would say its worth 35 just cant make my final decision
Just don't expect it will last you as much as the 480. It's a crippled GTX670, a midrange card.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
Adi6293
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.5Gh
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630W be quiet!
Default 08-24-2012, 13:58 | posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crap daddy View Post
Just don't expect it will last you as much as the 480. It's a crippled GTX670, a midrange card.
So what would you do?? Would you change or would you leave gtx 480??
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
crap daddy
Master Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX570 SC
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz Turbo
Mainboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: Corsair TX650
Default 08-24-2012, 14:25 | posts: 753 | Location: close to the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi6293 View Post
So what would you do?? Would you change or would you leave gtx 480??
First of all see for real how much you can get for your card and if you can sell it. Then, if it's OK and you have to put little money on top, look for a non-ref GTX660Ti. If you like Borderlands 2 or you think you can sell the game, then get the card.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
Adi6293
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.5Gh
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630W be quiet!
Smile 08-24-2012, 15:06 | posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by crap daddy View Post
First of all see for real how much you can get for your card and if you can sell it. Then, if it's OK and you have to put little money on top, look for a non-ref GTX660Ti. If you like Borderlands 2 or you think you can sell the game, then get the card.
I already have a buyer who will pay me 180 for the card and I would keep the game because I am planning to buy it anyway
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
crap daddy
Master Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX570 SC
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz Turbo
Mainboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4
Memory: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: Corsair TX650
Default 08-24-2012, 15:48 | posts: 753 | Location: close to the edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi6293 View Post
I already have a buyer who will pay me 180 for the card and I would keep the game because I am planning to buy it anyway
Then I see no reason why you shouldn't go with the 660Ti. Except... if you are willing to spend a little more on a GTX670. See what that card would cost since that is really a worthy upgrade.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
angmar
Maha Guru
 
angmar's Avatar
 
Videocard: Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
Processor: i7 3770k@ 4.7ghz h20
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: Mushkin DDR3 1600 16GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: OCZ 600 Watt 80 Plus
Default 08-24-2012, 21:19 | posts: 1,133 | Location: Monmouth County, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi6293 View Post
I already have a buyer who will pay me 180 for the card and I would keep the game because I am planning to buy it anyway
wow if you have someone willing to pay 180 for a gtx 480 I would def sell it an upgrade to the 660ti no doubt. But you should really aim for the 670...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
Loophole35
Ancient Guru
 
Loophole35's Avatar
 
Videocard: 670 FTW Sli H2O/780 TFIV
Processor: 2600k@4.8 H2O/2500k@4.5
Mainboard: P8Z68-V PRO/P8Z77-V
Memory: corsair ddr3 8GB@1866
Soundcard: ASUS Phoebus/onboard
PSU: Corsair HX850w/TX850w
Default 08-24-2012, 22:36 | posts: 5,417 | Location: FLA,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by angmar View Post
wow if you have someone willing to pay 180 for a gtx 480 I would def sell it an upgrade to the 660ti no doubt. But you should really aim for the 670...
I agree on the 670 the memory bus is worth the extra money.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
---TK---
Ancient Guru
 
---TK---'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 780Ti SC SLI/Qnix 2710
Processor: 2600k 4.6Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: RipJaws X 2x8GB 2133Mhz
Soundcard: Phoebus + DT880 Pro 250
PSU: Corsair AX 1200
Default 08-24-2012, 22:49 | posts: 18,703 | Location: New Jersey, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi6293 View Post
Hi guys, recently nVidia released theirs new mid-range card GTX 660Ti. I was thinking about changing my current GTX 480 to GTX 660Ti. I have saw quite a few reviews but I cant really see much GTX 480 in there so I couldn't compare both cards. I could sell my card for 180 so the change would cost me about 65. What do you think about the change, is it worth my while??
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=647
no 480 in this bench but a 570 is pretty close.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
Adi6293
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.5Gh
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630W be quiet!
Default 08-24-2012, 23:48 | posts: 22

The guy who is going to buy my card doesn't know that he could get a brand new GTX 480 for 160 and he doesn't know that gtx 480 its loud, warm and really power hungry which of course is good for me. I know that GTX 670 its a lot better upgrade but this card its out of my price range atm, sadly I need to pay few bills and there is just no way I could add 110 to the 180 to get gtx 670 unless I will wait till my next pay but I dont think I can wait that long
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
Koniakki
Maha Guru
 
Koniakki's Avatar
 
Videocard: Palit 780Ti JS@1280/7500
Processor: Intel 3770k@4.6G's
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 OC Formula
Memory: Kingston P-X 16GB@2400Mhz
Soundcard: Asrock SPDIF-OUT
PSU: XFX BLACK PRO 750W GOLD
Default 08-25-2012, 17:04 | posts: 1,377 | Location: Inside My Thoughts..

I won't go into the reasons or facts on both cards(480, 660ti) as its widely available for anyone to see and some even mentioned here, but IMHO if the 480 served you well and you were happy with its performance, then the 660ti even if its the green's side low-high end gpu obviously WILL serve you even better.

I would of course as many here, advise again the 660ti in favor of the 670 which will last longer and it's worth the price premium in the end.

Also according to Google UK shopping the ASUS 670 DC2(just for reference)s have around 80-90 premium over the Asus 660ti DC2. From specifically a budget view, not worth it atm.
Again according to your budget or current financial "situation".

We all know the 670 is worth it, but I would go for a good 660ti strictly budget wise. It's your best choice. Also from the RED team, a good 7950 looks great also. Its at your price point. And good I mean a good non refernece one. Windofrce, DC2, TF etc.

P.S: Those "buyers" don't come often you know. Jump on it like flubber(just watched it again after like 15 years)!

P.S: Also from the RED team, a good 7950 looks great also. Its at your price point. And good I mean a good non refernece one.

Last edited by Koniakki; 08-26-2012 at 13:55.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
Hughesy
Member Guru
 
Videocard: Watercooled MSI 780
Processor: watercooled 3570k 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: Asus p8z77-v pro
Memory: corsair vengeance lp 8GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar d2x
PSU: Be Quiet 850w
Default 08-25-2012, 18:04 | posts: 77 | Location: UK

LOL Flubber, what a great film. I agree with most here, if you can afford the extra money it'll cost then go with the 670.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
Adi6293
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.5Gh
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630W be quiet!
Smile 08-26-2012, 17:17 | posts: 22

I have never watched that movie, need to give it a go I was considering Radeon HD 7950 because I could get one for as little as 230 but I just couldn't play games without PhysX anymore especially Borderlands 2 will have it and the game looks 100x better with it enabled My choice will most likely be KFA2 GeForce GTX 660TI EX OC for 239 with free delivery from overclockers

Last edited by Adi6293; 08-26-2012 at 17:23.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
Koniakki
Maha Guru
 
Koniakki's Avatar
 
Videocard: Palit 780Ti JS@1280/7500
Processor: Intel 3770k@4.6G's
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 OC Formula
Memory: Kingston P-X 16GB@2400Mhz
Soundcard: Asrock SPDIF-OUT
PSU: XFX BLACK PRO 750W GOLD
Default 08-28-2012, 10:21 | posts: 1,377 | Location: Inside My Thoughts..

Excellent choice. Just checked Hexus review. Seems a good OCer too. Enjoy it.

P.S: In case you didn't check OCuk has the KFA2 670 in weekly offer. And that Palit 670 JS when it goes on sale will look really tempting.. Just saying..

Last edited by Koniakki; 08-28-2012 at 10:30.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
kanej2007
Ancient Guru
 
kanej2007's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600 4.7Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z68-VPro
Memory: 12Gb Corsair Vengeance C8
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X Ultra 7.1
PSU: Fractal Design R2 1000W
Default 08-28-2012, 11:03 | posts: 6,855 | Location: Dubai, UAE / London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi6293 View Post
I already have a buyer who will pay me 180 for the card
Lol, what a dumbass! As others have said you are LUCKY to get 180 for your GTX 480, it's REALLY good...

I recently bought my second GTX 580 for just 170.

Although it was used, it was only a year old, came with box & all accessories...

If I were you I would:

1 - Get a good over/superclocked edition of the GTX 660 & further overclock it to GTX 670 speeds

or

2 - Should you find a good bargain, I suggest the GTX 670 which is ALMOST as good as a 680...
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
Adi6293
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.5Gh
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630W be quiet!
Smile 08-28-2012, 16:37 | posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanej2007 View Post
Lol, what a dumbass! As others have said you are LUCKY to get 180 for your GTX 480, it's REALLY good...

I recently bought my second GTX 580 for just 170.

Although it was used, it was only a year old, came with box & all accessories...

If I were you I would:

1 - Get a good over/superclocked edition of the GTX 660 & further overclock it to GTX 670 speeds

or

2 - Should you find a good bargain, I suggest the GTX 670 which is ALMOST as good as a 680...
As I said the guy doesn't know much about hardware, I showed him few videos of nVidia PhysX and he was "mine". I already paid for my card and will get it tomorrow.

PS. My GTX 480 its only 6 months old, I still have box with all accessories it still doesn't make it worth 180 tho
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
Sever
Ancient Guru
 
Sever's Avatar
 
Videocard: Galaxy 3GB 660TI
Processor: i7 2600k - XSPC Raystorm
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme9
Memory: 16gb Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X
PSU: Silverstone Gold 1200w
Default 08-28-2012, 21:25 | posts: 4,826 | Location: Land of the Great Downunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi6293 View Post
Yeah I had a look at this performance graph. I would expect about 18% performance increase if we're talking stock gtx 480 to stock gtx 660Ti plus less noise, heat and lower consumption. I would say its worth 35 just cant make my final decision
ive got a 570 soc (performs more or less like a stock 580) and i was considering making the swap. not because my 570 GPU doesnt have enough grunt for modern games, but mainly because modern games have started using more vram than my 570 has (even at 1920x1080 maxed out no AA) so the extra vram will come in handy.

tempted to buy a 670 though, but given that the performance difference between a 670 and 660ti is quite minimal, i might just buy a couple of 660TIs cheaply if they drop in price and run SLI.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
Headless Knight
Member Guru
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX
Processor: Intel i7 870 @4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D-E
Memory: Mushkin Enhanced 2 x4GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Zalman 1000-HP
Default 08-28-2012, 21:46 | posts: 47

You will get around 15-20% increase over your 480.
But since you can afford GTX 660 Ti you can as well afford an HD7950 but the HD7950 will smoke it by comparison.
The price of GTX 660 Ti is ridiculously expensive for what it can offers.

Last edited by Headless Knight; 08-28-2012 at 21:50.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
Adi6293
Newbie
 
Videocard: EVGA GeForce GTX 480
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 4.5Gh
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 630W be quiet!
Smile 08-28-2012, 22:38 | posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headless Knight View Post
You will get around 15-20% increase over your 480.
But since you can afford GTX 660 Ti you can as well afford an HD7950 but the HD7950 will smoke it by comparison.
The price of GTX 660 Ti is ridiculously expensive for what it can offers.
I know that 7950 is better card but I want PhysX. I am an big AMD fan but really games with PhysX looks a lot better, even upcoming Borderlands 2 support it, if it wasnt for PhysX I would pick Radeon.

I have received my card today. Quite impressed with the noise level and temps. Max I saw was 84C in Kombustor and 72C in Metro 2033 and thats after overclocking to 1.075Ghz on the core (1245Mhz in Boost) and 6.5Ghz on memory. I score almost 8600 points in 3D Mark 2011. I never received my Borderlands 2 steam key I will have to email them and ask why. So far happy with the card.

Last edited by Adi6293; 08-29-2012 at 23:46.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.