Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Soundcard with philips fidelio x2
Old
  (#1)
IbanezMartin

Videocard: GTX 680 2GB Sli
Processor: i5
Mainboard: Asus p8z77-v
Memory: 8gb
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair Ax 860
Default Soundcard with philips fidelio x2 - 12-04-2014, 00:03 | posts: 6 | Location: Norway

Hi!
Just bought the philips fidelio x2. Now I want the proper equipment to fully utilize the capacities of these headphones.
As of now, I'm only using the onboard soundcard. Bear in mind, I'm totally new to the whole hifi-area!

The main usage will be gaming and music (listening). In gaming, I appreciate good positional audio, playing alot of competive online games.

In another forum I was recommended to get a asus xonar dx, to get the dolby headphone. But because of the high output impedance of this soundcard, I should also get an AMP, I was recommended the fiio e11k.

Is this the best way to go? Some other guys recommended me to buy an external dac and amp, like the schiit modi+magni. But this will we considerably more expensive, and I was told the dac-chip in the xonar dx is pretty decent.
And with the modi/magni-setup, I won't get any dolby headphone, I'll just be using the sound features I already have, and that is quite limited. How is the positional audio using just the magni+modi, is it any good? I'm guessing the dolby headphone will be better?

What are you guys recommending? I don't want to spend a lot of money, and for me the magni/modi will be somewhere around twice as expensive as the dx + e11k.

Old
  (#2)
GenClaymore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX970 FTW + Asus VG248QE
Processor: I5 3570k @4.5Ghz SA SB-E
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 30nm 2x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X1>Uber>LDMKII>HE-500
PSU: Cosair RM850
Default 12-04-2014, 02:58 | posts: 5,462 | Location: Michigan,usa

If all you want is something that will work very good for the price then the Sound blaster Z or sound blaster omni will be a good choice. Both should work very well with your headphones. I don't know what the prices are in norway but you might be able to find either one cheap.

But with the magni+Modi route you can just use Razer surround software which is free, which will give you emulated surround headphone function for use with games and the software does work very well. The aune T1 can be found used which usually be cheaper if you trust ebay.

Old
  (#3)
IbanezMartin

Soundcard:
Default 12-04-2014, 09:46 | posts: 6 | Location: Norway

If I'm right the soundblaster uses sex pro studio, which is better than dolby headphone? And How is the output on these, will they make my Philips sound bloated? I was told that could be a problem with the Asus, since the Philips is just 30ohm.

The soundblaster I can get for 90usd (brand new), which makes then a lot cheaper than the Magni modi.
What will be better with the Magni modi - setup?
Will the free razer software be as good as the sbx in the soundblaster? Positional sound is my first priority

Old
  (#4)
eclap
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 12-04-2014, 10:48 | posts: 26,884 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Magni + Modi will simply sound better. It's a very good setup from what I'm reading. Many seem to prefer the Aune T1, which is also cheaper. I went from SB Z to Aune T1 to run with my DT 880 Pro and AD700. I can tell you from personal experience that it sounds better than SB Z. It also drives high impedance headphones better, which you might not need with the X2, but you might end up buying high impedance headphones later on.

The T1 also has the option of rolling tubes, which is nice. If Magni + Modi is out of your budget, look into the T1. It's a great piece of kit and there's quite a few gurus using it and they all love it.

Oh, and Razer surround is no worse than SB Z surround.

Hope this helped.

Edit: here's some reviews of the T1 http://www.head-fi.org/products/aune-t1#

Last edited by eclap; 12-04-2014 at 10:50.

Old
  (#5)
IbanezMartin

Soundcard:
Default 12-04-2014, 11:15 | posts: 6 | Location: Norway

Thanks, that was hugely helpful!

The aune looks very cool as well, would love to have that tube glowing on my computer desk!

I can get the aune x1 from a retailer here in Norway, is the t1 considered more "high-end"?

Old
  (#6)
RagDoll_Effect
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 5.3 Ghz
Mainboard: ASROCK Extreme4 Gen3
Memory: 12GB RipJaws
Soundcard: Marantz SR5005 +FH 9.2 ch
PSU: OCZ GAMEXTREME 1010 Watts
Default 12-04-2014, 11:42 | posts: 4,307 | Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezMartin View Post
Thanks, that was hugely helpful!

The aune looks very cool as well, would love to have that tube glowing on my computer desk!

I can get the aune x1 from a retailer here in Norway, is the t1 considered more "high-end"?
x1 doesn't do tube...

regards,
RagDoll.

Old
  (#7)
mikeysg
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x Sapp R9 290X CF H20
Processor: i7 3960X + Corsair H100
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: 4x 4GB Corsair DP 2133mhz
Soundcard: SoundBlaster ZX/Z-5500
PSU: Seasonic X-1250
Default 12-04-2014, 14:47 | posts: 1,892 | Location: Babylon 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagDoll_Effect View Post
x1 doesn't do tube...

regards,
RagDoll.
That's what I've heard, primarily from Tyll of InnerFidelity:
The Philips Fidelio X2 is going to hit the Wall of Fame like a boss. The only thing keeping it from knocking the HD 600 off the wall is its low 35 Ohm impedance that makes it a poor match for high output impedance tube amplifiers

Link to review:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...elio-x2-page-2

Old
  (#8)
IbanezMartin

Soundcard:
Default 12-04-2014, 14:50 | posts: 6 | Location: Norway

That's true, the tubes seems really nice. But it's a shame that the x2 won't be too happy with them. Will the aune x1 be a better choice then?

I can get a fairly good price on the Hegel Super at a local retailer (140usd). Any experience with them? I wasn't allowed to post a link, but enjoy the music.com and head-fi.org has a review.

Or are units like this mostly meant for portable use? I only need one for my desktop computer. But if the sound quality of the Hegel may be comperable to that of the Aune or the magni/modi, it's a tempting offer! Bear in mind that I'm most interrested in soundstage/positional audio

Last edited by IbanezMartin; 12-04-2014 at 15:38.

Old
  (#9)
IbanezMartin

Soundcard:
Default 12-08-2014, 13:57 | posts: 6 | Location: Norway

I'm now considering two options. A shame I can't try them both before choosing.

Either go for the xonar dx and the fiio e11k, or the Aune X1 MKII. What do you think is the better choice?

Old
  (#10)
IbanezMartin

Soundcard:
Default 12-13-2014, 20:06 | posts: 6 | Location: Norway

Bump!