W7 and W8 SSD Raid0 TRIM Comfirmed.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Aug 14, 2012.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Woow , just woow , where to start :D , i have been involved on this big project wich consist of proving that w7 and w8 do pass TRIM to Raid0 array on Intel Chipset with the latest Bios Raid OROM 11.5 and latest Intel RST 11.5 Drivers. For now it's only supported on Z77 chipsets ( In the future we think with a Bios update to Raid OROM 11.5 and Latest RST Drivers most of Intel Chipsets will support this function ). Guys this are amazing Big news as we here in Guru3D have been doing some testing ourselves on this tread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=365227

Conclusion of the article:

"Conclusion:

RAID 0 TRIM has indeed arrived. It won’t be long before we start seeing board manufacturers serving up 11.5.0.1582 or higher OROMs with their BIOS’s. When they do you can be confident that whether you are running Windows 7 or 8 along with the correct chipset/s and IRST driver your RAID 0 array will have functioning TRIM. Intel has delivered on their promise to give us what we’ve all been waiting for RAID 0 TRIM. As of today there is NOTHING a single drive can do that a RAID 0 Array cannot do better. This day has been a long time coming and brings with it forth coming satisfaction for thousands of INTEL RAID 0 users. Awesome job INTEL, simply awesome!
    "

Source and Full article here: http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=672&pagenumber=1

You can follow our long hours testing this funccionality of Intel Raid Option and more information on this treads:
    http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3910
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...11.5-OROM-and-Latest-v11.5.0.1184-RST-Drivers
    http://translate.google.com/transla...74952d8c55538f5b87f649cc7197d982179ef&act=url
    http://communities.intel.com/thread/29704?start=0&tstart=0

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Or you could get SSD's with hardware level TRIM like Corsair Force GT's.

But yes, those that don't have that will be in for a treat.

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    They need to release the new 5.03/04 firmware as I'm using 5.02 because 3.33 had issues, and TRIM is broken in that version.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So how do I update my OROM to 11.5?

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    With Z77 you'll also most likely need to use USB Bios flashback to do the update, as ASUS EZ Flash 2 will give you some security error.

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thats 100% Correct , i could not flash my own moded Bios or the one that pimp_gimp made for me ( Thanks dude ), im still waiting on some friends at Asus who might get me the Bios i want , im still waiting to use 11.5 on my own new Asus P8Z77-V LK as this board does not have USB Bios flashback and the Bios its protected it is simply impposible to flash on my own , it needs to be done by Asus.

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Not sure what to tell you there. I'm on 5.02 and TRIM is working just fine.

I'm using 2 240GB Corsair Force GT's.

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Weird, could be that it only affects certain setups? I do know that Corsair recognizes it as an issue, and are working with Sandforce on a fix for their drives.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    And Its official !

Dan Snyder, PR Manager of Intel Corporation :

" “Trim on RAID 0 for SSDs is supported in the Intel RST driver versions 11.0 and newer. Currently available for the general public on Intel’s downloads site is RST driver version 11.2 which offers TRIM support on RAID 0 compatible with MS Windows 7 OS on Intel 7 series chipsets (earlier chipsets NOT supported). Intel is also working on a future release providing support for TRIM on RAID 0 on Microsoft Windows 8 OS for Intel 7 series chipsets. “

Source and more info: http://thessdreview.com/daily-news/...ed-in-raid-0-with-intel-rst-ver-11-and-newer/

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/13881/

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I noticed that 11.5 has a Memory Leak with the IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe

It's currently over 750 MB and growing.

12. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Sounds good, guess I'll probably be buying another 256GB M4 next year then :)

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Confirmed. Same issue. Rolled back to an earlier version 11.3

14. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Brilliant, glad i forked out £400 for 2 x 128GB Corsair Performance Pro SSDs when i could have bought 2 x 256GB ones of a different brand and gotten the same performance

15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Thanks chipsy for all the information you supplied on various forums.

Z77 board trim confirmed working on drivers below

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
    Kit installed: 11.2.0.1006
    User interface version: 11.2.0.1006
    Language: English (United States)
    Intel RAID controller: Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller
    Number of SATA ports: 6
    RAID option ROM version: 11.0.0.1339
    Driver version: 11.2.0.1006
    ISDI version: 11.2.0.1006

16. derek4484

derek4484 Guest

GPU:
    GTS8800
    Update firmware?

This is good news that TRIM command will work in a Raid 0 as I just ordered a setup from Amazon that includes a P8z77-V LX mobo, and two HyperX 3K 240GB SSD's and I was planning on running those in a Raid 0 and was concerned about passing the TRIM command on through.

But once in a Raid 0 you still wont be able to update the firmware of individual SSD's will you? That, I think, is just as important or more than the TRIM command. As they come up with better firmwares that improve SSD performance you def need to upgrade firmware.

17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Just quoting for those that missed it.

18. cyberlipe

cyberlipe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 460
    TRIM or not?

Hey Guys,

I'm reading this, and it's not clear to me if I need a RAID ROM higher than: 11.0.0.1339 or NOT...

I have the RST 11.6 driver, on a Asus P8Z77-V PRO with the lastest BIOS, and 2 intel 320 series 120 gb on RAID 0.

How can I benchmark this to find out?

Cheers,
    Felipe

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi Felipe and welcome to Guru3D , use as SSD , Cristal Disk benchmark , Anvil Storage Utilities or PCMark vantage. Run one test at a time , delete something from your OS trhu recicle bin after running the test , this will trigger TRIM and recuperate lost performance , thats how TRIM works on raid0 , more information here: http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=682&pagenumber=4 ,i hope that helps you understand how TRIM works on Raid0.
    We got similar configuration , as im using an Asus P8Z77-V PRO with latest Bios , install running Raid OROM 11.0.0.1339 with latest whql RST 11.6 drivers , using 2x128GB Samsungs 830 Raid0 , TRIM works flawlessly in my Raid0 array , my performance stays always more or less the same and i have not lost performance after 2 months running heavily appointments in 24/7 OS . Buen Dia Felipe Saludos desde Puerto Rico :).

20. cyberlipe

cyberlipe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 460
    Trim?

Hey Chispy,

I've tried using PCMark... But it was not clear on what should I do before and after a Test..
    should I run more then once?
    What is the best software to test this?

Cheers,
    Felipe