Bad Crossfire Scaling on Metro (driver issue?)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Stevethegreat, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Stevethegreat

Stevethegreat Guest

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 8800 GTX (630/1000)
    So I bought a second HD5870 videocard, installed the latest WHQL (12.6) and I'm getting 50-55% scaling on Metro in comparison to what I was getting with a single card.

In all reviews I saw it easily tops 80% and it often goes as high as 90% performance scaling. Now I've read quite much bad-mouthing for the latest Catalysts in these boards so do you reckon is that it (i.e. the latest Catalysts are pants for older cards)?

I'm asking because my install of Windows (7 x64) is fresh and I do not want to mess with the drivers (installing-reinstalling) much; so before moving to any other (former) catalyst I would like to know which may be the best (not just for Metro but generally for 5xxx cards)...

Thanks for your time :).

2. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    What are your settings in game?

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    is that your current cpu in your sig?

4. Stevethegreat

Stevethegreat Guest

GPU:
    No I've changed it with an i7 which I'm running at 4.2 ghz. I don't think the CPU is the issue.

Also I'm running it at 1080p with everything apart from AA at its highest but even with AA on (x4) I'm not getting more than 60% scaling. Btw metro is the only game that I own that scales so poorly (and prolly the only one that needs as much performance as it can get, ironically enough)... I m starting to think that my psu is not enough and its what causes the lower performance ....

However I'm posting here mostly so that to see whether the drivers could had been the cause (did anyone else experienced lower performance due to 12.6?).

5. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Including depth of field and tessellation?

6. Stevethegreat

Stevethegreat Guest

GPU:
    Yeah. The only thing I don't put on is x4 AA because I prefer the look of AAA. I certainly do stress my cards...

7. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Try disabling those 2 options and see how they scale. Then try only 1.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    try turning DOF off

9. Stevethegreat

Stevethegreat Guest

GPU:
    As it's expected it devastated scaling. By both off I only got 37% from the second card with only DoF off I only gained 45%, with both on I gain 53%, with both on + AA I get 59%.

In all the reviews with almost identical hardware as mine they would typically get from 78% up to 93% gains from their cards (irregardless of what setting they may use) in identical resolutions (1920x). Of course they're using drivers from early 2011 but I'm rather weary to be installing such old catalysts.

What do you think it may be? What can typically impact crossfire scaling so much? (this is my first CF setup so I honestly have no idea :()

10. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    This may be a silly question but do you have the caps installed? Also I think there is a game update as well.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

11. Stevethegreat

Stevethegreat Guest

GPU:
    I would guess that the latest profiles come/came with the latest Catalyst (12.6, the one I have installed), no? If not where can I find ones that would be compatible with Metro?

As for the game itself, it's always up to date thanks to Steam. So -yeah- I think there's something wrong with my drivers. I know it's an old game et all (two years old), but with the new Metro coming out soon enough, I believe that whatever can be found in this thread can be useful in the "future" as well...