Tegra 3 vs Exynos 4212

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by yosef019, Jun 8, 2012.

?

Which CPU/GPU faster

1. Exynos 4212 CPU faster

54.5%
  2. Exynos 4212 GPU faster

81.8%
  3. Tegra 3 CPU faster

36.4%
  4. Tegra 3 GPU faster

18.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Who is faster and make beter grafiks
    CPU / GPU ?

2. soldierblue

soldierblue Member

GPU:
    GeForce Titan X
    Probably the Exynos on both counts. The Tegra isn't actually all that good.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, the Tegra isn't awful. As far as android SoCs go, it's probably top 3 or 4. It's just when you're losing out GPU-wise to a year old A5...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  3. Dr.No.pt

Dr.No.pt Member

GPU:
    GTX 580
    It's a cortex A9 !

Read a bit more. --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exynos

On topic: Like you said, both are good GPU's. Just have fun with either one.

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    He is more than likely talking about the GPU on iPhone. Cortex A9 has nothing to do with GPU and he was not talking about CPU.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I would choose any exynos due to samsung's support for mkv's.

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You just can't beat ARM's Mali-400MP right now. Only the iPad (2012)'s GPU can outdo it. CPU-wise, I'm sure just pure CPU, the Tegra 3 would win just purely because it has more cores to play with. When optimized properly (like the Browser that comes with the Transformer Prime), it can actually increase the performance. What's lacking really for the Tegra series is its underwhelming GPU (ironic seeing NVIDIA is a graphics company...)

deltatux

7. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    tegra3 is better than exynos 4212 in terms of CPU and slightly faster in terms of GPU. this is just from my comparisons with my galaxy note and my mate's htc one x (similar resolution).

the exynos 4412 however, is much better than both tegra3 and exynos 4212. it has a highly overclocked mali-400 as well, which dominates the tegra3.

tegra3 is still running on old geforce architecture, not even unified core architecture. however, tegra4 will be better with its kepler cuda cores.

8. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    huum we speak about the quadcore 4412 or the 4212 dual core ?

I think there's an error somewhere, you cant compare the tegra3 4+1 and the old 4212.. do the comparaison with the new one..

Actually a little thing: theres few benchmark really optimised for quadcore... anyway across the range of test, in some the S3 is faster, in some the tegra3 is faster. The S3 win the most.

For the example, the 4412 is faster on GLEgypt ( offscreen ) of the OneX, and in Sunspider, faster in Antutu, but will loose in Linpack. or CaffeineMark (Linpack multithread who dont look optimised at all for quadcore ( dualcore do even better in this bench ).
    Basically im not sure if there's not a little bit of work to do on some bench.

Overall the 4412 look faster of Tegra3, thanks to the gpu and the ram /storage performance and the excellent CPU performance.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    actually, linpack is optimised.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-review-761p5.php

compare the galaxy note to the htc one x, it does scale when you go from 2 arm cortex a9 cores to 4 arm cortex a9 cores. the reason why dual core snapdragons ends up faster is because the snapdragon s4 on the smaller 28nm manufacturing with the newer arm cortex a15 cores, which have superior performance per core compared to the a9 cores.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  10. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    OMG gs3 is so expencive here in israel now

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock

Ha ok, the problem come from a different review i have see, where the S3 was just barely over 100.. i believe they was use an old version. ?

12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    could be.

at the moment the phone im waiting for is an international version of LG's LS970. its a phone that's heading to sprint, and according to some leaks, its using the quad core s4 pro. if 2 krait A15 cpu cores can outpace 4 A9 cores, imagine how much faster 4 krait cores would be. plus, its also using the adreno 320 GPU, which should pack one hell of a punch, and with 2gb of ram, it will be one hell of a phone. probably a bit overkill for a phone, but it would definitely be a phone i'd buy.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I haven't really been paying too much attention to Samsungs new SOC, and even Tegra 3. I'm basing this off of the history with Tegra 2, but does Tegra 3 have the NEON core support? If not, that's a huge blow if it doesn't...

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    yes it has neon core support this time, as well as an additional low power core to reduce power consumption for basic tasks (its technically 4+1 cores).

15. georaldc

georaldc Guest

GPU:
    MSI 6970
    Hardware wise, it must be nice. But aren't LG phones known to be not so good compared to the rest of the competition or something (I remember reading something like that). I guess it was just about stock and no custom roms and stuff but I don't know. I've only seen like 1 or 2 LG phones in my life and both weren't exactly good.

I await the day when it will be possible for stuff like chainfire 3d enabling tegra 3 games on non tegra 3 hardware. Is it even possible? My s3 currently guns down tegra 2 games with ease so I'm under the impression that it can handle tegra 3 as well

16. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    LG phones are generally not that popular due to poor after sales software support. the optimus 2x took a while to get gingerbread and then took a fair while to get ICS (not sure if official ICS is available for it yet). if LG sped up the process, im sure they'd be a bit more popular.

im sure the s3 should be able to easily handle tegra3 based games. but like all things, it takes time. tegra3 is still fairly new and chainfire is working on a lot of projects.