No more monthly WHQL drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, May 31, 2012.

1. asder00

asder00 Don Di Driver

GPU:
    RX VEGA 64 Liquid
    Taken from R3D forum:

There should be a public announcement today, but I have been allowed to share this info right now:

- AMD will end monthly Catalyst driver releases starting with Catalyst 12.5 (which won't exist). They have decided to focus harder on quality and improvements vs regular updates which may not bring many new things. This way there will be no need for two separate driver development paths every month: one to get the official WHQL driver and another that keeps doing the regular driver development.
    - We should expect more "hot fixes" and "preview drivers" when new games are released or urgent fixes are required.
    - There is a beta driver we are testing right now that fixes the Eyefinity tearing on the third monitor when mixing outputs. I have verified that it works with Souther Islands based cards, so I don't know if it will work with previous cards. Anyway, if no major issues are found, this driver should be publicly available next week.

2. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I think this is a very good idea and long overdue.

Since I got my 670 a few weeks ago, I miss coming into the AMD section to look for latest info and drivers. :(

Had the same cards as you asder00.

3. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
  4. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well its about time, ive always said they should scrap the monthly WHQL's, as its never worked, so good to hear, instead of having to rush through the drivers to get them finished by a certain time, so as to get them to MS for signing and back for release, they'll be able to take their time on them like Nvidia :)

Those drivers will be next week then, and not this week as CatCreator said ?

Last edited: May 31, 2012

5. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Just leak beta builds to keep the driver whores happy.

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    good idea to concentrate on quality but they obviously dont want the regular customer feedback to find out what problems if any we the customers actually have,what about the cap updates

7. Huigie

Huigie Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    :hatty:

8. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    I'm a driver whore and I find this about time. :D

9. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Fck Yeah!!!!!!
    Finally!

10. TheOriginalTO

TheOriginalTO Master Guru

GPU:
    5500 XT / 8gb
    Could this lead to more problems though as well since they will be trying to put them out quicker / when needed?

11. BenchAndGames

BenchAndGames Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 Ti
    Why you think is best kept out every month with certified drivers?

Why they think that now going to be better without WHQL?

12. TorrentG

TorrentG Guest

GPU:
    HIS AGP 3850 Turbo IceQ3
    I think they're doing this because Microsoft is going crazy. They are strong arming everyone.

Examples:

1) Putting Metro kiddie screen on a desktop platform.
    2) Making Store so many people purchase apps which Microsoft makes money on
    3) Taking away ability for developers to make desktop apps with free version of Visual Studio Express: http://arstechnica.com/information-...op-software-development-is-dead-on-windows-8/
    4) Making Metro kiddie screen appear at boot
    5) Taking away Windows 7 Start menu and not leaving any choice to go back without 3rd party tools.
    6) Removal of WMC and DVD playback to save licensing costs. Then they're gonna sell 8 for same as 7 or more. Then, you can purchase an additional add-on pack if you want to install for the functionality. (For DVD, obviously can use any free app instead, but the point is they're charging extra now: https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive...r-available-in-windows-8.aspx?Redirected=true)

Lots of other crazy thinking at MS.

We should all congratulate AMD for doing their own thing away from MS, or away to a stronger degree than it is now.

13. V1tol

V1tol Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
  14. TorrentG

TorrentG Guest

GPU:
    HIS AGP 3850 Turbo IceQ3
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Wonder if they'll change the numbering as well, as month/year is not needed now.

16. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I strongly agree with. Also, it's a huge psychological plus if they won't have in their mind that in a specific timeline they've to release anything. Well done, and let's wait for quality drivers.

But... Sometimes, you know... This might not mean we would certainly start getting quality drivers or it would be 100% wise desicion. The slower proccess might be the sign for worse support. Just saying, although I'm pretty sure it will go better.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Amusing that someone is having their own little off topic, and one way moan about W8.

This is a good move by AMD in my opinion, the whole WHQL process just slows things down, and there is usually a newer and better beta one by the time the certification has been done.

Not that things have massively improved for us Nvidia users since they started doing this, but it is much more efficient to do this rather than release a safe, but probably not the best driver every month.

18. TorrentG

TorrentG Guest

GPU:
    HIS AGP 3850 Turbo IceQ3
    Crawl back to the nvidia cave, troll.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What has Nvidia go to do with anything?

Seriously, this has nothing to do with W8, not even sure how you could come up with such an idea, and why are AMD forums so hostile these days?

I was offering my opinion of why this was a good idea, while also pointing out your comments were off-topic, so you seriously need to check out the definition of troll.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    why are you posting Asder00's text from another thread?

if you are gonna ramble OT and insult people, at least be original.