Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Teachers in UK want new legislation on gaming
Old
  (#1)
Stone Gargoyle
Ancient Guru

Videocard: SAPPHIRE HD 7770 1GB OC
Processor: Phenom II X4 Quad @3.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asus M5A78L-M
Memory: G-Skill 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
PSU: OCZ 620W
Default Teachers in UK want new legislation on gaming - 04-03-2012, 19:18 | posts: 4,390

Quote:
A motion at the conference called on ministers to introduce "stringent legislation" to counter the "negative effects some computer games are having on the very young".

The teachers fear that by spending hours alone playing the games, children could become anti-social and slow to develop speaking and listening skills. Many pupils arrive at school exhausted having played the games until the early hours of the morning, they said.

She said her pupils believed the violence depicted in computer games was real and tried to recreate it in play.

"Obesity, social exclusion, loneliness, physical fitness, sedentary solitary lives – these are all descriptions of children who are already hooked to games … Sadly there is a notable correlation between the children who admit to playing games and those who come to school really tired," she said.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-warn-teachers

See now I have a son who turns 15 next month who loves nothing more than coming home from a long day at school and unwinding playing on his Xbox, namely Halo Reach. And upstairs all I ever hear is him laughing and having fun with people he's known on Xbox live for quite some time. More importantly he knows I trust him to spend a certain amount of hours playing and not to come off any later than 9pm on a school night so he can shower and watch a movie before bed. He's physically fit, has friends at school, has a girlfriend and although I would say he's somewhat addicted he's more addicted to playing just the one singular game than he is actually playing games in general. It's the game he garners the most "online respect" from and people tend to add him to their friends list after playing with him because he is rather good at the game and is a known good player. They even send him lofty praise type voice messages which are often quite lol inducing because some of them are about 10 and have high pitched voices like you wouldn't believe.

On the other hand I also have a nephew who is but six months older than my son who comes home from school and then eats, ****s and sits in front of his console until 4 or even 5 am - each and every night. He then goes into the same school as my son by 9am looking like he's slept rough. Nobody stops him playing and I've heard him on the phone raging at the likes of CoD and swearing his head off in front of my mother and father in law who are both in their late 70's. He's physically unfit, closed off to any form of conversation and has been in constant trouble with school. Once to the point he hit some other kid he played online with and was suspended for a week. He's pretty much the complete opposite of my son and is allowed to do what he wants due to his aggressive nature that is said to have already been present long before he got into gaming as a hobby and his school work has suffered tremendously of late.

Sometimes my son complains about what other people on his friends list can play and for how long but he understands and respects the fact that different parents have different approaches and even admits he would hate being like his wayward cousin who ignores him at school. Hearing what I hear when my wife is on the phone where he lives I'd call it a blessing in disguise but find it shameful that nobody has the balls to tackle him or the obvious problems his gaming habits create.

Are teachers simply clueless though or is my sons cousin a genuine example of all that is wrong with a portion of todays kids that are allowed to game whenever, on whatever and for as long as they like?

Old
  (#2)
Tat3
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX480 w/ 244T
Processor: i7 920 @ 4,4GHz | Water
Mainboard: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
Memory: 3*2Gb 8-8-8-20 @ 1680MHz
Soundcard: UA-55 -> 2*Genelec 8030B
PSU: Defo not modular (TX950W)
Default 04-03-2012, 19:30 | posts: 11,297 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Gargoyle View Post
Nobody stops him playing and I've heard him on the phone raging at the likes of CoD and swearing his head off in front of my mother and father in law who are both in their late 70's.
Divorce is what causes problems to kids. Might not be what causes all the problems, but I honestly think that it's playing a big part there. Perhaps the kid feels he has no need to listen to his father in law and so. Perhaps kids father in law is afraid to say what that kid can do and what he cant because of some reason (seen this often). Perhaps kids mom told the man not to be too hard to her kid or not to say anything...

Old
  (#3)
villa_youth
Master Guru

Videocard: 780 GTX
Processor: Intel i7
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V
Memory: Corsair Vengence 8GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X
PSU: OCZ 900 watt
Default 04-03-2012, 19:51 | posts: 735 | Location: England

If in doubt blame computer games. It makes me laugh that you can make films and tv shows that show violence, blood, gore, sex and whatever else and no one bats an eyelid, but as soon as you put that into a game and show it computer graphics there's uproar about it.

Old
  (#4)
morbias
Don Tommasino

Videocard: GTX 480
Processor: i7 920 D0 @4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Memory: 6GB HyperX @1600 6-7-6-18
Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS + CL 6700's
PSU: ePower Tiger 1200W
Default 04-03-2012, 19:57 | posts: 12,641 | Location: Southampton, UK

Primary school children playing games they shouldn't... fault of the parents.

Follow Guru3D on twitter.
Folding@Home - join team Guru3D!

Old
  (#5)
Year
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 690
Processor: Intel® i7 2600
Mainboard: Asus P67 Evo
Memory: G.Skill Sniper DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Auzentech Bravura 7.1
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850W
Default 04-03-2012, 19:57 | posts: 11,696 | Location: ♫

Quote:
The teachers fear that by spending hours alone playing the games, children could become anti-social and slow to develop speaking and listening skills.
nope, it's the contrary.

gaming improves the visual and auditory senses, improves reaction time and alertness, also while playing children/gamers tend to talk/shout (eg. "where's the god damn lever?! .....oh yes! here it is).

stuff like that..

Quote:
Many pupils arrive at school exhausted having played the games until the early hours of the morning, they said.
and many teachers arrive at school exhausted having spent the previous night at the bar drinking.

Last edited by Year; 04-03-2012 at 20:06.

Old
  (#6)
The Laughing Ma
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 670GTX
Processor: I5 750 @ 3.2Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Maximus Formula III
Memory: 8Gb Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: Creative Xi-fi
PSU: Corsair 650W
Default 04-03-2012, 21:53 | posts: 2,201

Quote:
Are teachers simply clueless though or is my sons cousin a genuine example of all that is wrong with a portion of todays kids that are allowed to game whenever, on whatever and for as long as they like?
The whole article is another example of the state being asked to do what the parents should be doing in the first place.

Old
  (#7)
Year
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 690
Processor: Intel® i7 2600
Mainboard: Asus P67 Evo
Memory: G.Skill Sniper DDR3 16GB
Soundcard: Auzentech Bravura 7.1
PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850W
Default 04-03-2012, 22:42 | posts: 11,696 | Location: ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Ma View Post
The whole article is another example of the state being asked to do what the parents should be doing in the first place.
exactly.

it's the same argument when kids commit acts of violence like killing, parents blamed GTA.

it's too easy to blame a videogames, they should blame themselves for the lousy job, especially if the kid was mentally unsound to begin with and predisposed to such acts.

we all played GTA, i don't see any killer.

Old
  (#8)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DC2
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: SF Golden Green Pro 600W
Default 04-03-2012, 22:50 | posts: 10,846 | Location: Finland

Addiction is bad. But to be honest, I've read good book until the early hours of the morning too. As always, stay within reason. Parents should do their job too. No limits: ****ed up kids.

Old
  (#9)
Mufflore
Ancient Guru

Videocard: KFA2 Anarchy 580@930/4650
Processor: 2500K @ 4.5GHz - blew it!
Mainboard: Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
Memory: 8G Kngston 2.2GHz CL11 1T
Soundcard: Minimax+ & Dexa Opamps !!
PSU: Corsair Pro AX750
Default 04-03-2012, 23:01 | posts: 9,769 | Location: UK

Problem is, we have up to 40 year old children now having children.
Some adults never grow up and just go through life trying to get away with what they can.
They really do not give a damn, some act like children, others cant be asked to control their unruly kids.
Great role models, probably lost causes too.

Kids these days are wise to the law and what they can get away with.
This makes them much harder to control.
So even what would have been good parents say 50 years ago, end up with more than they can handle these days.
And theres very little help because the kids know there isnt much anyone can do.
With little to limit behavior, its not surprising how bad they get.

The law needs to be less permissive and to allow parents to chastise bad behavior without fear (within limits of course, but not like todays).
When bounds are overstepped, social services should be involved, but they are stripped to the bone themselves and the workers are pushed to the max.
This has to change.

There isnt a direct route to success, its going to involve a change in values throughout society and will probably take a generation or more to fix.

Old
  (#10)
IcE
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.0
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: SBZ + Aune T1 + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 04-04-2012, 03:24 | posts: 9,103 | Location: Toledo

Too bad multiplayer games enhance social skills and that this is a load of bollocks. This argument 10 years ago would have been far more reasonable. Nearly EVERy game has some sort of multiplayer these days.

Old
  (#11)
lebrine
Member Guru

Videocard: ASUS Geforce 680 gtx
Processor: Intel I7 2600k
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 pro (B3)
Memory: 8gb DDR3
Soundcard: Creative Titanium HD
PSU: OCZ ModXstream-Pro 650w
Default 04-04-2012, 06:46 | posts: 69 | Location: UK - at the seaside :D

its not video game violence responsible for kids behaviour here in the uk tbh, its the lack of any form of discipline...

Seriously, if discipline was brought back some kids might be a little better behaved. ^^

It never did me any harm

Old
  (#12)
Solfaur
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2xSLI MSI GTX680Lightning
Processor: i7 3770K| Corsair H100 pp
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
Memory: 2x4GB Kingston Black 2133
Soundcard: Realtek ALC898| Z-5500
PSU: Nexus RX-1.1K GOLD@1100W
Default 04-04-2012, 07:44 | posts: 4,439 | Location: Romania

Yes, yet again let's blame games and not bad parenting, heaven forbid we ever get at the source of problems and not just stop at the outer layer of them...

Old
  (#13)
XP-200
Maha Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 760 2GIG OC
Processor: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40ghz
Mainboard: Asus Z87-K
Memory: Corsair XMS3 12GB 1333
Soundcard: VIA HD Onboard
PSU: OCZ 600w+80
Default 04-04-2012, 10:41 | posts: 2,674 | Location: UK

This old chessnut again.......The cheap nanny that is computer games.

Bring back the belt in school, 3 of the best for little tommy because he thinks that because he does what he wants in the house, he can do that anywhere.......that will sort him out.

Old
  (#14)
lucidus
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 780
Processor: i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Deluxe
Memory: 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 04-04-2012, 11:48 | posts: 6,774 | Location: Dubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP-200 View Post

Bring back the belt in school, 3 of the best for little tommy because he thinks that because he does what he wants in the house, he can do that anywhere.......that will sort him out.
+1 to that!

Old
  (#15)
AndreasGuido
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD7850 TF3 1050/1450
Processor: Core i5 2500K 3.8GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Soc
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX
Soundcard: Integrated 5.1
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W
Default 02-20-2013, 11:49 | posts: 3,424 | Location: Bristol, UK

its parenting! Kids are way too spoilt these days! We had it hard and we turned up just fine!

Old
  (#16)
PNeV
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI 7950 @ 1150/1650
Processor: 3570K @ 4.4GHZ
Mainboard: ASRock Extreme4 Z77
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Antec HCG M 620W
Default 02-20-2013, 11:53 | posts: 1,742 | Location: Northampton, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP-200 View Post

That is the sad truth

Old
  (#17)
fr33jack
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX760 OC
Processor: i5 3570k 4.6GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77MA|45
Memory: 8Gb 1866Mhz XMP
Soundcard: Realtek|ALC892
PSU: Zalman 660XT
Default 02-20-2013, 12:32 | posts: 436 | Location: Moscow | Russia

MG F@cking hypocrites they all are. "Negative effects" my @ss
Television/ movies are filled with violence, murder, racial and sex discrimination, religious radicalism, horrors of war, terrorism and sexual crimes...no game has gone so far as TV or movies for past 60 years. Shameless corporate b@stards...

Sorry for my expression here...but it really grinds my gear

Old
  (#18)
danfim
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x 280X TOP
Processor: i7 4770k @ 4.4GHz
Mainboard: Asus Z87-Pro
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Toughpower 1.2kW
Default 02-20-2013, 13:27 | posts: 355 | Location: Finland

People either are mature at a young age or they are not. Age ratings are for the average people. Parents, judge if your kid is mature enough. Your cousin needs some serious help, and I don't think his guardians who you said were older than 70 both, can provide this help.

Old
  (#19)
tibial
Member Guru

Videocard: Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
Processor: Intel i7 980x
Mainboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme
Memory: 6x2Gb DDR3
Soundcard:
PSU: 1200W
Default 02-20-2013, 13:42 | posts: 67

First "stringest legislation", then ban all games completely because parents simply cannot be bothered to look after or communicate with their children... They're too busy having fun with their colleagues at the pub.

It is similar to an ancient medical practice performed by uneducated peasants where there were no doctors around: If leg hurts, cut off leg. It can be applicable to any problem as well.

Old
  (#20)
TekkMarine
Maha Guru

Videocard: Asus 6950 Direct CU II
Processor: Intel Core 2 Conroe 3ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe
Memory: Corsair 6GB
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Elite Pro 7
PSU: Jeantech 800w Storm
Default 02-20-2013, 13:45 | posts: 953 | Location: United Kingdom

Well .... I don't know about you guys but ill be keeping the consoles and computers far away from my children. Nothing but sporting activities and physics books.

Old
  (#21)
charliehamster
Maha Guru

Videocard: Nvidia GTX-770
Processor: AMD FX 8350
Mainboard: GA-990FXA-UD5
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: OCZ ModXstream pro
Default 02-20-2013, 13:59 | posts: 1,066 | Location: UK

Teachers are just trying to pass the buck. Schools are a breeding ground for antisocial behaviour.

Old
  (#22)
fr33jack
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX760 OC
Processor: i5 3570k 4.6GHz
Mainboard: MSI Z77MA|45
Memory: 8Gb 1866Mhz XMP
Soundcard: Realtek|ALC892
PSU: Zalman 660XT
Default 02-20-2013, 14:01 | posts: 436 | Location: Moscow | Russia

...if I were to choose between MTV versus GTAIV, then I'm happily put my kid to play in GTA - less chance that he will be an mindless idi@t by his eighteenth birthday XD

But of course, sporting activities and physics books are preferable in the first place

Last edited by fr33jack; 02-20-2013 at 14:03.

Old
  (#23)
CronoGraal
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD6870 1GB
Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 3.4ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X48-DQ6
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair Dominator
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Corsair 750W TX
Default 02-20-2013, 14:31 | posts: 3,799 | Location: Sweden

solution: dont have kids 8)

Old
  (#24)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 770 Classified
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: Seasonic X-850
Default 02-20-2013, 17:18 | posts: 13,405 | Location: USA

Maybe they should pass legislation on bad parenting. Just a thought.

If I would of pulled any of the crap like what some of these kids are doing back when I was growing up, my parents would of tore me a new one. And I mean that literally

Last edited by PhazeDelta1; 02-20-2013 at 17:20.

Old
  (#25)
cerebus23
Maha Guru

Videocard: evga 8800gts
Processor: core 2 duo e6600@3.0ghz
Mainboard: evga 680i
Memory: 4 corsair xms2 pro 512mb
Soundcard: realtek onboard
PSU: rosewill 550w
Default 02-20-2013, 17:47 | posts: 1,947

gods i wish you the best of luck, your going down the same path we been going down for the last 15 20 years since doctor spock and others became huge to the point that enough people over here think a simple spanking is child abuse.

its not unusual in discussions to get called a monster even even if you suggest judicious use of spanking.

far as the broken home thing, interesting thing, my father was gone about the time i was about 1 year old, my mother raised me on her own, she worked 2 jobs and often i found myself alone or stuck with babysitters before the age of three. in nursery school i bullied kids, assaulted teachers, disrupted class, all because i was lacking the attention a child needs at home.

around 3 i was shipped to my grandparents to live, where someone was always around, they wanted to know what i was doing who i was with at all times, and they had a huge wooden paddle that i was shown and made clear to that it would be used if i messed up badly enough, i think i got the actually paddle twice, got wacked more times than i can count in general but it was always when i was being a brat, or messing with something i was not allowed to.

i had my fascination with guns as a kid, had them with swords, played my fantasy games like robin hood, cowboys and indians, star wars, shooting my friends and fighting them with swords.

never had a urge to drag a gun to school, guess because while a troubled kid in many ways, layers of seperation anxiety, loads of emotional scarring, i was not insane.

course like most teens i had my fascination with suicide and the like for my emo teen years. still had more common sense than to do it.

so i agree that most abberant behavior can stem from broken homes and bad parenting in general. having had some first hand experience with it. and seeing many other children around me growing up without their parents, and the way that society forces coddling and affirmation almost exclusively, seems to be just ends us up with self entitled wimps when the chips are down, or worse.

and i just have to say this.

if we are going to change society and laws based on the actions of the insane, then maybe we ought to have the real discussion, should we just kill the mentally insane, before they can harm others? i am sure there are tests we can do to sniff them out. we know that go off often enough that they cause an uproar like our schools are shooting galleries or video games are killing simulators.

if we are going to spend 10 of millions on new studies, on new laws, on clogging up the airwaves discussing if it guns or video games to blame, and never the real reasons i might add, is it not just cheaper and less hassle by far to just come up with some test find a good score and just off them, we save a few people maybe even children down the road maybe getting killed, score right?