ATI drivers and old games(Q3engine)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by phxxxx, Mar 9, 2012.

1. phxxxx

phxxxx Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5570 1GB
    Are there any good stable drivers for games on q3 engine for ati hd 5570 on windows7?
    I don't care about newer games really, newest game I occasionally play is cod4 which by the way runs just fine on extreme settings.

sof2 is the game in particular im having problems with. First it runs worse than any of newer games I play or have played, stable 125(one of the 'golden' fpses in q3 engine games) fps is often hard to reach..my first pc with nvidia 5200fx ran sof2 better than this **** and it's beyond me.

first of all latest(anything after 10.4 I believe) ati drivers do not even work unless you use older atioglxx.dll or rename exe to quake3.exe(some lame fix ati introduced after opengl problems in q3 games with 10.5+ drivers)

the very newest drivers (12.1 i believe) have trouble with drawing ladders/railings(anything that is .png texture with some transparency it seems) and depending on your location and viewing angle in game ladders/railings/etc turn black. fix for that once again is using 10.4 or older atioglxx.dll. oh yeah, this seems to happen only if you use any kind of AA on 12.1, if its set to 'application controlled' its ok(no black textures) but well that just looks ugly specially on game old like that.

another thing is that I am forced to use triple buffering else the game just feels laggish, random 0.1 sec freezes..not sure whats the word here. but this setting is related to vSync and I don't even use it, as far as FPS gaming goes atleast..but alright, seems to fix atleast one problem.

so why the hell my ati card performs so bad on old q3 engine games? and any of the newer games(as long as i meet requierements) run just fine. even my laptop with onboard intel gfx ran it smoother. using windows xp doesn't seem to fix anything either if you were about to suggest that w7 is the cause of my problems. (+running in wXP compatibility mode doesnt help anything either)

this is my first ati card but if i cant enjoy games i love i feel like its going to be my last ati card. drivers are just horrible! and ive tried PLENTY of different driver versions.

owell..atleast cs 1.6 runs ok

// edit
    and yeah, I have ati services disabled when gaming(actually always), so are MOM and CCC.exe closed in processes. on winxp always disabled ati hotkey poller, on w7 its named something else but Ive got that disabled too. obviously tried with services/.exes opened just to see if me closing them was causing problems. nop.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    try rename it to et.exe (enemy territory profile)

or some else openGL game u know

3. phxxxx

phxxxx Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5570 1GB
    sounds like another temporary fix and tbh can't use it right now unless i was playing pubs which i dont usually.

(long story short: anticheat names it to sof2mp.exe)

4. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    forgot to ask if u play gold, assumed no one does it anymore

i think 10.1 or 2 or something didnt have much issues with openGL games

can u use that driver instead?

ati forums must be full of it

5. phxxxx

phxxxx Guest

GPU:
    ATI HD5570 1GB
    It's not gold. demo&1.00 have community ac used during wars. gold is 300% dead game.

ive already tried 10.1&2, infact im using 10.2s .dll when playing already but that just fixes AA issue with black ladders/railings. still stuttering when triple buffer disabled and random fps drops. i mean sure, hd5570 is not best of the gfx cards but sof2 is what, 2001-2002 game..

ATi drivers have always been funny on me, since you know sof2 i assume youve played some 1.6. with certain driver version I could not do rock jump on nuke. stable 100 etc, even my friend who plays kz mostly could not do it on my pc. driver update -> fixed(happened when i first played with this setup). haha like what? sounds like complete bs but it actually happened :bang:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    one reason for fps drops with Q3 engine was supersampling aa mode ati used as hardcoded into card (or something like that)

there was no way to around it atleast with 4870(x2) and mw1

one u can try is lower resolution and turning of aa if u can