Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Affiliates > MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum
MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion forum This forum is intended for MSI customers for questions on the AfterBurner Overclock Utility based off Rivatuner. In this section the users help each other out with answers as well as support staff from MSI.

Old
  (#76)
Daba-8

Videocard: Asus GTX570 Direct CU II
Processor: Intel 2500k
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Pro
Memory: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer
PSU: Corsair TX850W
Default 02-05-2012, 11:56 | posts: 20 | Location: Sweden

Quick question. Which video capture settings should i use to minimize the performance hit of the recording ingame?

Old
  (#77)
TFL Replica
Master Guru

Videocard: NVIDIA GTX 570
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Rev 3
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair 1600MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty
PSU: PCP&C Silencer 750w
Default 02-05-2012, 15:44 | posts: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daba-8 View Post
Quick question. Which video capture settings should i use to minimize the performance hit of the recording ingame?
I think RTV1 has the lowest performance overhead.

Old
  (#78)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-05-2012, 18:23 | posts: 11,396 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

RTV1 + <100% quality gives the losest possible performance hit. Then lowering frame size may help.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Old
  (#79)
Kariddi
Member Guru

Videocard: 2x ATI 5850 Sapphire
Processor: I7 860
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair TX650
Default 02-06-2012, 12:40 | posts: 74

I have a big problem with this beta and overclock profiles.

I have 2 crossfired cards (5850) and , because of the changes to the profiles structure, I have to reimmit the profiles. I set the profiles separately, because I don't use the cards with synched parameters.

But everytime I save a profile for a card the same slot of the other card gets overwritten with the current set clocks for that card . I can't get AB to save the profiles for both cards correctly

Old
  (#80)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-06-2012, 13:35 | posts: 11,396 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kariddi View Post
I have a big problem with this beta and overclock profiles.

I have 2 crossfired cards (5850) and , because of the changes to the profiles structure, I have to reimmit the profiles. I set the profiles separately, because I don't use the cards with synched parameters.

But everytime I save a profile for a card the same slot of the other card gets overwritten with the current set clocks for that card . I can't get AB to save the profiles for both cards correctly
All slots are supposed to be overwritten with currently set clocks of each card in the system. It was so since the very first version, so I see no problem.

Old
  (#81)
Kariddi
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-06-2012, 17:47 | posts: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwinder View Post
All slots are supposed to be overwritten with currently set clocks of each card in the system. It was so since the very first version, so I see no problem.
EDIT:
Wait , I understand your point. In the precedent versions I was able to set the profiles for the different cards separately (like: Select GPU1. Set clock to store in profile 1 , store profile 1, set clock for profile 2 , store profile 2 ... Select GPU2, set clock to store in profile 1 , store profile 1 ... etc), now instead what happens is that the profiles of all the cards are updated at the same time. Am I right?

Last edited by Kariddi; 02-06-2012 at 17:50.

Old
  (#82)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-06-2012, 18:07 | posts: 11,396 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
EDIT:
Wait , I understand your point. In the precedent versions I was able to set the profiles for the different cards separately (like: Select GPU1. Set clock to store in profile 1 , store profile 1, set clock for profile 2 , store profile 2 ... Select GPU2, set clock to store in profile 1 , store profile 1 ... etc), now instead what happens is that the profiles of all the cards are updated at the same time. Am I right?
There was no such functionality in the previous versions. Never. All profile slots were overwritten synchronically from the very first version, and the context help is actually informing you about it.

Old
  (#83)
Kariddi
Member Guru

Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
Default 02-06-2012, 21:32 | posts: 74

Quote:
There was no such functionality in the previous versions. Never. All profile slots were overwritten synchronically from the very first version, and the context help is actually informing you about it.
This is very strange, because I updated the profiles just some days ago and I was able to do what I said ...

Old
  (#84)
smut
Member Guru

Videocard: GTX560 ti @ 970/2300
Processor: Intel Quad
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard: X-Fi Gamer
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
Default 02-07-2012, 00:31 | posts: 134 | Location: USA

Quote:
I don't own this game and cannot comment which changes in the engine cause that. Cannot help with that, sorry.
That is unfortunate. I sure miss Afterburner in this game.

Thanks for the response.

Old
  (#85)
WithoutWeakness

Videocard: 8GB Corsair 1866mhz
Processor: Intel i7-2600K
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX-850w
Default 02-07-2012, 04:50 | posts: 6

Quote:
I left a hole in application allowing video capture module to record video as is without cropping dimensions to be multiple of 16. Edit .\Profile\MSIAfterburner.cfg (but not MSIAfterburner.cfg stored in root!) and reset bit 1 of VideoCaptureFlagsEx.
Hey there Unwinder. Killer tool you've developed here. I've fallen in love with it over the past week. I've just got one question related to this new "multiples of 16" issue. Windows Media Player is enough for me to watch gameplay back before editing, so I'd like to keep my full 1080p if possible. In my .\Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg file, the line you're talking about reads:

VideoCaptureFlagsEx=00000202h

Now if I wanted to record at full 1920x1080 but keep all my other recording settings the same, what would I change this line to? I'm set now to record at 30fps, MJPG at 85% quality (30fps just to reduce size on disk).

Thanks for any help!

Old
  (#86)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-07-2012, 05:58 | posts: 11,396 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
This is very strange, because I updated the profiles just some days ago and I was able to do what I said ...
You're confusing something. You always had do configure cards independently then save profile slot for all of them at once.

That's exactly what context help is telling you:

Profile Slot 1
Saves current applied voltage, clock and fan control settings to profile slot 1, loads or deletes settings from it.

Hints:
- You may press <Save> button then press this button while it is flashing to save current applied settings to profile slot 1. Profile slots of all GPUs installed in the system are saved synchronically.
- You may save current applied settings to empty profile slot 1 or delete profile from used profile slot 1 by right clicking this button. Profile slots of all GPUs installed in the system are modified synchronically.
- You may save current applied settings to empty profile slot 1 or delete profile from used profile slot 1 by pressing <Ctrl> + <1> keys on your keyboard. Profile slots of all GPUs installed in the system are modified synchronically.
- You may load master GPU profile from profile slot 1 by clicking this button.
- You may load master GPU profile from profile slot 1 by pressing <1> key on your keyboard.
- You may load and automatically apply the profiles via tray menu or even assign global hotkeys for each profile slot via advanced properties window. Profiles are loaded and synchronically applied for all GPUs installed in the system.
- You may use automatic profiles management function and assign different profiles for 2D and 3D applications via the <Profiles> tab in advanced properties. Assigned profiles will be loaded and synchronically applied for all GPUs installed in the system on 2D/3D state changes.
- You may disable user interface tooltips via <User interface> tab in advanced properties.

Old
  (#87)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-07-2012, 05:59 | posts: 11,396 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithoutWeakness View Post
Hey there Unwinder. Killer tool you've developed here. I've fallen in love with it over the past week. I've just got one question related to this new "multiples of 16" issue. Windows Media Player is enough for me to watch gameplay back before editing, so I'd like to keep my full 1080p if possible. In my .\Profiles\MSIAfterburner.cfg file, the line you're talking about reads:

VideoCaptureFlagsEx=00000202h

Now if I wanted to record at full 1920x1080 but keep all my other recording settings the same, what would I change this line to? I'm set now to record at 30fps, MJPG at 85% quality (30fps just to reduce size on disk).

Thanks for any help!
00000200h

Old
  (#88)
Newbie2012
Member Guru

Videocard: 290X Xfire(290s unlocked)
Processor: i73770k @ 4.6ghz WC
Mainboard: Maximus Formula V
Memory: 16GB DDR3
Soundcard: Supreme FX
PSU: OCZ ZX 1250w
Thumbs up 02-07-2012, 13:45 | posts: 54 | Location: Ireland

Quote:
Found rather misinformating post about ULPS and overclocking AMD cards with Afterburner at OCN. Not surprized to see guests from OCN with fundamentally wrong understanding after that. A few comments to fix understanding given with that info:

Basically, all third party softwares involving the idle states of slave GPU(s) monitoring will interfere with ULPS and will cause throttling (using Afterburner as monitoring not overclocking).

Incorrect. There is no any throttling, no any interference with ULPS, the only downside of using low-level monitoring tools like Afterburner or GPU-Z is seeing no ULPS related zero clocks on the graphs because AMD driver's ULPS activity is invisible to low-level monitoring tools. And monitoring those things through AMD driver like it is done in CCC is deadly ineffective and slow and may cause stuttering in games if using in realtime. If you absolutley want to see active ULPS on the graphs, Afterburner provides a config tweak allowing you to use only AMD API for monitoring on AMD cards, but it won't give you anything useful besides seeing zero clocks on the graphs when ULPS enabled slave idles and it may degrade performance (due to the reasons mentioned above, i.e. due to poor optimization of monitoring API provided by AMD driver).

Using Afterburner to OC and overvolt in crossfire configuration, it has to be disabled because it inteferes with ULPS, hence BSOD/crash.

Incorrect again. Overvoltage has zero relation to ULPS, the same applies to overclocking if it is performed via official AMD overclocking interface (ADL) within CCC clock limits. It can safely coexist with ULPS.
The only thing that is incompatible with ULPS is unofficial overclocking path (which is used by default in Trixx and can be optionally enabled in Afterburner). Using AMD's unofficial overclocking path will indeed result in BSOD, because AMD driver writers cannot even make their own unofficial overclocking path to be compatible with their own power saving technology.

Nothing has changed with the release of MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 12 other than the ability to use PowerTune (Power Control Settings).

Incorrect again. Beta 11 and up introduces /XCL command line switch, which allows extending CCC clock limits and acheive higher clocks while using official overclocking path.

Things might change in future with the 7900 series.

The things will never change because of AMD's stupid politics related to overclocking. For many years they seriously limit CCC clocks and force vendors to stay within really low overclocking limits. Their stupid politics is a direct reason why developers are searching holes like an unofficial overclocking to provide more overclocking freedom to overclockers.

UnofficialOverclockingMode;
•1 = To keep PowerPlay (ULPS) active.
•2 = To traditionally disable PowerPlay (ULPS).
•0 = To temporary disable unofficial overclocking path.

Incorrect again. Alternate overclocking modes have zero relation to enabling/disabling ULPS. They control PowerPlay only.

There's another option to use Afterburner without having to turn off ULPS by disabling "Low Level Hardware Access Monitoring" in Afterburner UI settings. Unfortunately by doing so also disabling the ability to tweak voltage.

And again incorrect. This option does nothing related to ULPS compatibility.

P.S. Personal warm greetings to the main Afterburner hater from that thread, tsm106. Smart and true AMD fanatic could just create his own better overclocking AMD overclocking and overvolting tool instead of constantly attacking "limp Afterburner, Trixx and ASUS GPU Tweak" which are unable to work with perfect AMD power saving techniques. But in reality it needs much more knowledge than some forum boy actually have, isn't it?
I should put a sticky of this on OCN. Still I would be flamed or get infractions for pointing out something true.

Good thread btw, good info. Beta 12 has worked perfectly for me on a 7970.

Old
  (#89)
krishnarama108
Master Guru

Videocard: asus ati 5850 1gb 850mhz
Processor: intel q9550 3.4ghz+
Mainboard: asus P5E(formula rev.)
Memory: ddr2-800mhz+ cl4 6GB
Soundcard: M-Audio Transit
PSU: corsair TX 650wat
Default 02-07-2012, 20:01 | posts: 288 | Location: Goloka

hi,
iam on atis 8.95 17.jan driver pack and AB OC is working not like it should, but manual profile apply works...anyone ? thanks
voltage tweak is working,core mhz not..on run without touching AB
than when i manualy pick OC and apply than it works

Last edited by krishnarama108; 02-07-2012 at 20:25.

Old
  (#90)
bl4d3runn3r

Videocard: 2x Powercolor 7970
Processor: 2500k@5GHz
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: AX750
Default 02-09-2012, 11:55 | posts: 5

Hi Guys,

i got 2 7970 Cards and i found the setting GPU Type in the options of afterburner. My cards got a VID of 1,050, at the moment the "GPU Type" Setting is set to 1,175V, do i have to switch to 1,050V? What does this option do to my Card?

Old
  (#91)
falcone77

Videocard: sapphire hd7850 2gb
Processor: i3 3200
Mainboard: msi h77-ma g43
Memory: vengeance 1600 8gb
Soundcard:
PSU: seasonic 620w
Default 02-09-2012, 17:07 | posts: 10 | Location: Türkiye

hi everyone

there is an error that not yet fixed
in source-engine based games for example TF2, CSS osd not work properly in raster 3D mode
it's like chinese letters, please do something about it

Old
  (#92)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-09-2012, 18:41 | posts: 11,396 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnarama108 View Post
hi,
iam on atis 8.95 17.jan driver pack and AB OC is working not like it should, but manual profile apply works...anyone ? thanks
voltage tweak is working,core mhz not..on run without touching AB
than when i manualy pick OC and apply than it works
Read the previous pages

Old
  (#93)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-09-2012, 18:43 | posts: 11,396 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl4d3runn3r View Post
Hi Guys,

i got 2 7970 Cards and i found the setting GPU Type in the options of afterburner. My cards got a VID of 1,050, at the moment the "GPU Type" Setting is set to 1,175V, do i have to switch to 1,050V? What does this option do to my Card?
Each option in application comes with context help

Old
  (#94)
krishnarama108
Master Guru

Videocard: asus ati 5850 1gb 850mhz
Processor: intel q9550 3.4ghz+
Mainboard: asus P5E(formula rev.)
Memory: ddr2-800mhz+ cl4 6GB
Soundcard: M-Audio Transit
PSU: corsair TX 650wat
Default 02-10-2012, 11:07 | posts: 288 | Location: Goloka

unwinder, thanks i finnaly manage to find it...ok, just let you know, manual apply works that s enough

Old
  (#95)
slickric21
Maha Guru

Videocard: eVGA 780 SC ACX
Processor: 4770k 4.4ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87 DG65
Memory: 16Gb Crucial BLX 1600mhz
Soundcard: Realtek 1150
PSU: Corsait GS 800
Default 02-10-2012, 13:42 | posts: 1,943 | Location: U.K

Okay i've read this thread twice and im very new to AMD cards as i've got a 7970 today, and also new to afterburner.

I'd like if someone can just explain in simple terms about the overclocking/overvoltage and powertune - or tell me if im doing it right or wrong.

I want to overclock my Gigabyte Windforce 7970 to around 1250-1300mhz, but AB only goes up to 1200mhz.
So I followed this http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906 tutorial to unlock it and "Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1"

In CCC I have set power control to +20%, which was then mirrored in AB settings

I then raised votage to 1212mV and clocks to 1280/6000 in AB and played BF3 for a fw hours no probs at all.

However when I left the game I noticed that in AB the power control had reset itsself to 0%

So my questions are.....
Is this normal ?
Do I need to reset it to +20% before everygame ?
Or should I select another value for the "UnofficialOverclockingMode" ?
Or should I use the -xcl command ?

I just dont want any conflicts etc etc.

Sorry for the noob questions but I really didn't understand what was talked about earlier in the thread,

Last edited by slickric21; 02-10-2012 at 17:02.

Old
  (#96)
ElGreco

Videocard: XFX 5970BE
Processor: I7-960
Mainboard: GA-X58A-UD7 Rev.1
Memory: 6GB Dom. GT 1866
Soundcard: X-Fi Forte
PSU: Enermax Rev.85+ 1250w
Default 02-10-2012, 23:42 | posts: 41

XCL Command in 7970 Crossfire setups

It seems that the /xcl command unlocks only the limits of GPU1 in my CCC. What command should i use to extend the limits also of GPU2 in CCC?

Thank you...

Old
  (#97)
slickric21
Maha Guru

Videocard: eVGA 780 SC ACX
Processor: 4770k 4.4ghz
Mainboard: MSI Z87 DG65
Memory: 16Gb Crucial BLX 1600mhz
Soundcard: Realtek 1150
PSU: Corsait GS 800
Default 02-11-2012, 01:04 | posts: 1,943 | Location: U.K

I've noticed that my 7970 wont downclock to 300mhz /.85v after using AB (to load an OC profile) instead it only drops back to 500mhz /.95v untill a reboot is done.

is this normal ?

Old
  (#98)
Unwinder

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 02-11-2012, 05:39 | posts: 11,396 | Location: Taganrog, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGreco View Post
XCL Command in 7970 Crossfire setups

It seems that the /xcl command unlocks only the limits of GPU1 in my CCC. What command should i use to extend the limits also of GPU2 in CCC?

Thank you...
It is clearly declared in the readme that XCL command line switch only affects AMD graphics cards attached to Windows desktop. So before unlocking clock ranges temporary disable CF and extend desktop on each card you want to be unlocked.

Old
  (#99)
Eluder

Videocard: MSI GTX 680 Lightning
Processor: Intel i7-2600k
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Soundcard:
PSU: Seasonic M12D-850W
Default 02-11-2012, 21:34 | posts: 41

Unwinder, what's the difference between using the /xcl command line option and unlocking unofficial overclocking methods?

Old
  (#100)
heroxoot
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI R9 290X Gaming
Processor: FX 8150 @ 4.4ghz
Mainboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80
Memory: 16GB 2133mhz@1866 G.skill
Soundcard: Craptek/logitech
PSU: OCZ ZX 850w gold
Default 02-11-2012, 22:20 | posts: 269 | Location: TN

Too many posts to read so I will ask, does anyone elses screen flicker a little when it starts? My actual screen doesn't its more like windows. Using a 6850 with ccc 12.2 preview.