Crucial having issues with their M4 SSDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by PhazeDelta1, Jan 5, 2012.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  2. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Yeah, reading sometimes oczforums. Those bastards always are saying that the problem are in drivers, OS, BIOS, controller an another BS.
    :wanker:
    The solution for temperature sensor("sensor fix":wanker:) ia very original. It shows permanently 30 C:nerd:
    That's it :bang:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Welp so much for the SSD without issues and no worries people were talking about. :p

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm debating with myself whether or not it's worth it to send in my "old" (first firmware shipped) M4 and get a new one in exchange...

EDIT: Never mind, they are shipping refurbished drives :(

Anyways, this issue seems to be a rare one happening to people who cloned from their disk unto the SSD and then run them in sleep a lot, after reaching 5200 hours and Dec. 28 something weird happens.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    crucial is susposed to be releasing a firmware update within a couple weeks.

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sounds like some small firmware bug that shouldn't be too hard to iron out.

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The problem seems to be with a Windows driver, as you can replicate the problem if you have a 5200+ hour M4 by starting up Windows and pushing the clock 55 minutes ahead, the computer will reboot shortly afterwards. Dec. 28 was after a few patches were rolled out by Windows Update, one of them it seems screwed around with the M4.

Come on, you can't beat that kind of response from a company. They already have a firmware fix and are just validating it on multiple system configurations, it should be out in ten days.

OCZ could learn something from Crucial.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    couldnt agree more lol.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Got a Crucial M4 256GB here, but at the time i bought it it came with Firmware 0009. So i don't see myself running into issues any time soon.

Seems a lot of those people been running 0002 for ages.

EDIT:

So i will be running into issues, but i bought it like 2 months ago, so untill then the new Firmware is out :)

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Terrific... I've just bought one of these over the Christmas period, a 256 GB model with Firmware 009 already installed to my delight, which boosts performance I believe, so I thought I'd get away with not having to update again. Tut!

Obviously, I haven't used mine for 5,000 hours yet but it is a bit worrying to say the least that the drive has this kind of issue in the first place.

I know the firmware can be updated without destroying data as I updated my previous Crucial M225 that way without losing any data but it's still a chore to install them as there's always that risk, however slight, that something will go wrong resulting in a dead drive. Clearly, no-one at Crucial thought to simulate testing this drive for 5,000 hours!

*EDIT*
    OK, so after reading the posts it seems that it is some kind of conflict with a Windows update released at the back end of last year but if that's the case and it requires a firmware update to get around it, what's to stop this kind of thing happening in the future with another Windows Update. Will Microsoft also be fixing this as well?

11. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    well i have not splurged on a large ssd yet, but if crucial is taking steps to actually fix the problems before they become even greater, i'll put them on my list.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    This is one of those things that you cannot foresee no matter how much testing you do.

What are the odds that Microsoft have an M4 with 5200+ hours in its lab, tests the update for an entire hour and then certifies it?

At least Crucial is taking a step to prevent this particular type of issue from happening in the future within the space of ten days, OCZ took 285 days to finally fix the BSOD issue!

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    That's why you install Norton Ghost 15, and make a schedule to let it backup every 4 days ;) Atleast that's what i do and the backup limit i have set to 8, so i got plenty to choose from if **** hits the fan.

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    True. It is good that Crucial are working quickly to fix it and have at least acknowledged the issue exists rather than trying to sweep it under the carpet as other manufacturers have done.

Would be nice to know exactly what causes this bug as 5,200 hours is a very odd figure. How come SSDs seem prone to these kinds of issues anyway and conventional hard drives don't?

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Who says they don't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi_Deskstar

Remember, SSD's are still on their second mainstream generation, give it another few years and they will become as dependable as can be.

As for the issue, it seems to be with the garbage collection starting after one hour and then hanging or something. At least they found the cause; they are probably not announcing the exact cause yet to prevent some unauthorized custom firmware coming out that claims to fix it and bricking drives.

16. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I recently bought a 256GB model after numerous positive reviews so this news annoys me greatly. Honestly I've not even been blown away with SSD performance anyway other than startup and shutdown times. Ho-hum.

17. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You recently bought it, so why should it annoy you? It will be fixed long before you even come close to the 5200 hour bug.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm not bothered by it either. We know whats causing it (Windows Update) and it's being fixed by Crucial.

Happy ending for all.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    This is something i would like to know aswell, very weird indeed.

20. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Because I'm lazy and the update firmware process seems like a chore. I'm also OCD enough to let this bother me regardless of how many hours my M4 has left before it implodes. Things have to be working flawlessly otherwise I start getting antsy. :uhoh: