Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Closed Thread

G3D Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread Pt. 2
Old
  (#1)
John
Don Salieri

Videocard: 4870X2 H0 & Eizo SX2761W
Processor: Xeon W3520 @ 4,4GHz H0
Mainboard: DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8
Memory: 12GB Corsair GT/Patriot
Soundcard: Yulong D100 & AKG K601
PSU: Tt Toughpower 1200W
Default G3D Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim thread Pt. 2 - 11-14-2011, 09:08 | posts: 16,752 | Location: Above the Arctic Circle, Norway

Continued from here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....334297&page=68

Old
  (#2)
ellisbodds

Videocard: ASUS GTX 460 1GB (OC'd)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 4.5
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard: Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition
Default 11-14-2011, 09:47 | posts: 12 | Location: UK

Quote:
Anyone turned into vampire?
I spent hours and hours trying to get a cure in oblivion, and here I am playing skyrim and get infected AGAIN!!!!....

I didn't realize that even fighting vampire can get you infected...
Once I realize, it was allready too late since the autosave has been overwritten.

Anyhow, anyone knows how to get a cure?
Either getting quest for remedy, or buying a simple potion "cure all disease?"

On side note, anyone experienced being a werewolf? Are there a lot of restriction?
Being a vampire is really a hastle once you got to lv 4 vampiric where everone will attack on sight, not able to walk through sunrise etc......
As someone else said, it's always a good idea to use manual and quick saves whenever is a good time. Personally, if I'm headed into a dungeon or whatever, I'll do a manual save beforehand, use quick saves all the way through whilst I'm exploring inside, and then do another manual save once I've come out and sold all my loot.

Werewolfs:
 Click to show spoiler

Quote:
28 hours, level 16, 50 locations discovered, 14 dungeons completed, 4 dragons killed... just can't get enough of this game, absolutely adore it. I didn't think anything else this year would topple the mighty Witcher 2 but this is the game without a doubt. It's so addictive that it should come with a health warning. I really did not want to go to bed last night and I'm afraid to have a quick go on it before work in case I can't drag myself off it!!!
Wow, you must've done a lot of exploring. I'm about 28-30 hours in and I'm level 27, I got the achievement for discovering 100 locations, and I've killed about 15 dragons. But the beauty of Elder Scrolls games is that everyone plays them differently, and as such no two characters end up being the same.

Old
  (#3)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980 SC
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe v2103
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: XFX PRO Black Ed. 850W
Default 11-14-2011, 09:56 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoredShadow View Post
I need somewhere to dump all my stuff Im soo heavy lol

I don't have enough money for a house just yet (unless someone knows a cheap one) What can I do?
Loot is a big problem in this game early on even with an NPC fighting along side you. If you don't already have one then I suggest always having an NPC with you as they come in handy as a second backpack!!! I'd highly recommend Lydia who you get from completing the main Dragonreach quest. She's awesome and uses any weapons/armour you give her. She has become quite adept at spell-casting now reviving dead enemies to fight against foes and conjuring up wolf spectres. She'll even pipe up when you discover hidden caves ("I wonder what's in there?").

I think the NPCs really add an extra dimension to the game myself even if the commands you can give them are fairly basic. At one point I forgot that I'd told Lydia to wait and had to backtrack through half a dungeon to fetch her! Her pathfinding and A.I. is generally very good for this sort of thing but she does have a tendency to block doorways at times, though she does eventually move if you wait long enough, usually uttering an "owwww" as you rudely brush past her!!!

Old
  (#4)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 09:59 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

And this is probably a rather obvious tip for TES veterans but *always* make sure you have at least one silver weapon as they are the one sure thing that can hurt undead/ghost enemies. I'm saying this because I very nearly made the mistake of selling mine.

Also, am I the only one was has great difficulty dropping or losing loot when you (and your NPC) cannot carry anything else? I find so much good stuff that it is a pain to have to lose it. Mind you, I still haven't bought a house although I now have over 6,000 Septims so I may buy the one in Winterun that is 5,000 (or does anyone know of a cheaper one)?

I've also yet to enchant a single weapon (where do you get the actual enchantments from?).

Last edited by Darren Hodgson; 11-14-2011 at 10:02.

Old
  (#5)
Gromuhl'Djun
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX660ti
Processor: i7 3770
Mainboard: Gb GA-Z77D3H
Memory: 8GB DDR1866
Soundcard: VIA VT2021
PSU: CM M520
Default 11-14-2011, 10:02 | posts: 5,264 | Location: Netherlands

I'm happy to say this game is way more difficult than Oblivion ever was. It feels a bit more like a Morrowind/Gothic hybrid + huge gameplay enhancements and deadly reflex.

Just got my ass handed to me in some cave by some dude (who I won't name because of spoilers). I have to get back later, because he is too strong. He killed Lydia!

Old
  (#6)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 10:06 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromuhl'Djun View Post
Just got my ass handed to me in some cave by some dude (who I won't name because of spoilers). I have to get back later, because he is too strong. He killed Lydia!
I've noticed that NPCs such as Lydia, who I've been using for most of the game, can sometimes appear to be killed but as soon as you kill the last enemy in the area then she gets up again. A few times though she has actually died permanently. It seems to be very random this, perhaps a bug?

I like that you can have two NPCs fighting alongside you at times when the quest requires a specific person accompany you but you already have your own NPC. Makes for some epic battles or you can just sit back and let your team do the work for you (sometimes advisable as they don't take too kindly to "friendly fire"!).

And, yes, the difficulty is great. I'm playing on Adept although I did drop down to the one below that for a few hours near the start when I was finding it too hard. I'm dying a fair few times but usually I can get past it on a second or third attempt so I'm sticking with Adept as it feels overall the most balanced in terms of challenge. I still cannot kill those damn giants though and once a dragon got close enough to grab me with its mouth (oh, those dragon encounters are just so amazing...) and killed me instantly. It's often tough but it feels fair with it. If it was too easy then the game could get boring.

Last edited by Darren Hodgson; 11-14-2011 at 10:09.

Old
  (#7)
Gromuhl'Djun
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX660ti
Processor: i7 3770
Mainboard: Gb GA-Z77D3H
Memory: 8GB DDR1866
Soundcard: VIA VT2021
PSU: CM M520
Default 11-14-2011, 10:13 | posts: 5,264 | Location: Netherlands

After she went down the first time, she kneeled and the enemy began focussing on me, until she recovered. When she went down the second time, it was final.

Old
  (#8)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 10:21 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

Quote:
After she went down the first time, she kneeled and the enemy began focussing on me, until she recovered. When she went down the second time, it was final.
Yeah, that's right she kneels and seems to recover from that stance once the fight is over but if she goes down to the ground then it's for good. I guess the enemies turned their attentions to me at the kneeling down part and that's why she has rarely died. I think she has died twice but, fortunately, I do so many saves that it is no problem to reload the last one and do the fights again. Hell, you can even Quicksave during fights which is handy if you get to safe spot and heal slightly as dying means there's less to retread.

I actually found the Quicksave useful for one of the Sneak quests I had to do which involved stealing a ring from a trader and planting it on an unsuspecting target while they were being distracted. It took me about five attempts to do this but the Quicksave allowed me to try different tactics without getting frustrated at having to do everything all over again. Perhaps that is cheating in some sense but I can live with that!

Old
  (#9)
WhiteLightning
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default 11-14-2011, 10:30 | posts: 23,440 | Location: Hoek van Holland, Netherlands

Is there anyway to have sex in this game ? my main character is a cute female reptile.

Old
  (#10)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 10:33 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

PC elitists will ignore this anyway but I have to strongly recommend the use of a controller for this game, simply because the use of vibration is exemplary. Not only does can you feel the ground shake when a dragon appears, adding immensely to its sense of power, but combat feels so much more tangible when can sense every hit. It also makes the superb much-improved-over-Oblivion lockpicking mini-game an absolute doddle to do when you can feel the subtlety of the vibrations (I haven't broken a lockpick in ages for example). The two analogue sticks also double up well for the two pins you're using to break the lock as well.

Old
  (#11)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 10:36 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
Is there anyway to have sex in this game ? my main character is a cute female reptile.
Sorry but I have to ask why anyone would want to have sex in a videogame?

I'm sure the people do have sex (there are children now for example) but it's something that is best left to the imagination and done in private, much like the real thing IMO!

Old
  (#12)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 10:39 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

Oh, and this is the last post for now as I could about this game all day to be honest, but I've seen the transparency glitch on faces a few times now. First on the faces of two of the Khajiits outside Winterun and also on one of the monster-like enemies (I forget which is was now but I could see it when it was shown on one of the loading screens as you can rotate the 3D models with the controller in realtime).

Is this a bug with NVIDIA's 285.79 beta drivers, does anyone know?

Old
  (#13)
Mr.Bigtime
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ZOTAC GTX 680 @ 27" SA950
Processor: I7 4770K @ 3.5 GHZ
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 PRO
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Soundcard: ONBOARD & LOGITECH Z906
PSU: Coolermaster something
Default 11-14-2011, 10:39 | posts: 18,500 | Location: Turkey

Adopt difficulty is dynamic? I keep dieing in a tight 3 vs 1 combat. Goddamn.

Old
  (#14)
WhiteLightning
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA 780GTX ACX
Processor: i7-2600k HT @ 4.5 +H70 PP
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 GAMING
Memory: Gskill 2133Mhz 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair 1000 watt
Default 11-14-2011, 10:40 | posts: 23,440 | Location: Hoek van Holland, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
Sorry but I have to ask why anyone would want to have sex in a videogame?

I'm sure the people do have sex (there are children now for example) but it's something that is best left to the imagination and done in private, much like the real thing IMO!
Would be funny to see a lizzard have sex with a lion or something like that. witcher2 and dragons age 2 had sex scenes.
they could even make a game out of it like hot coffeemod used to be lol (or how God of war 3 has in the game).
sound kind of strange everyone wants to see blood all over the place, heads and limbs flying around, and sex is forbidden.

Old
  (#15)
ivan.winata
Master Guru

Videocard: 2x Zotac GTX 970 AMP SLI
Processor: Intel i5 2500K
Mainboard: MSI Z68-GD55
Memory: Corsair 8GB 1600 CL9
Soundcard: Sennheiser 595
PSU: Corsair HX1000i
Default 11-14-2011, 10:41 | posts: 410 | Location: Earth

Quote:
PC elitists will ignore this anyway but I have to strongly recommend the use of a controller for this game, simply because the use of vibration is exemplary. Not only does can you feel the ground shake when a dragon appears, adding immensely to its sense of power, but combat feels so much more tangible when can sense every hit. It also makes the superb much-improved-over-Oblivion lockpicking mini-game an absolute doddle to do when you can feel the subtlety of the vibrations (I haven't broken a lockpick in ages for example). The two analogue sticks also double up well for the two pins you're using to break the lock as well.
+1 for this...
If only my wife will let me play on my 46" LED T____T
Got to install my second TV in main bedroom once my apartment renovation completed this week

Old
  (#16)
])rStrangelove
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
Processor: Intel i7-2600k@4.3
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3
Memory: Corsair 16GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: AsusXonar D2X
PSU: BeQuiet! DarkPowerPro750W
Default 11-14-2011, 10:50 | posts: 3,759 | Location: Northcoast of Germany

Lydia is unkillable i think. Saw her drifting upside down in the water after she was 'killed', then got into the same cave again after healing up, and there she was again in all her glory, ready to strike again.

I really like her

Old
  (#17)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 11:08 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
witcher2 and dragons age 2 had sex scenes.
The sex scenes in both of those games was embarassing though IMO.

I think the depiction of relationships is fine in videogames but the actual sex should be left firmly behind closed doors, perhaps only hinted at. I personally do not want to watch sex scenes in any videogame as it adds nothing at all to the experience. I don't even like sex scenes in movies either for that matter as they are unnecessary beyond showing two people getting a little intimate then... quickly cut to something else please!

Old
  (#18)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 11:13 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ])rStrangelove View Post
Lydia is unkillable i think. Saw her drifting upside down in the water after she was 'killed', then got into the same cave again after healing up, and there she was again in all her glory, ready to strike again.

I really like her
She is awesome.

It's a shame there is no character development though beyond the initial questions you can ask her. She utters the odd phrase such as "I have a bad feeling about this" on entering a dungeon and tells you when you've found a cave but that's it. Would have been nice to have had a bit of banter but then your own character isn't voiced anyway (why not?) so it's a moot point I suppose.

Speaking of which, does anyone else think that the game would be better if the character actually spoke instead of remaining a mute? After games like Mass Effect 2 Skyrim's dialogue seems terribly quaint and even the cutscenes lack that game's dynamic camera angles (though thankfully background characters no longer freeze in place upon initiating a conversion!).

Old
  (#19)
eclap
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 11-14-2011, 11:14 | posts: 26,671 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Quote:
And this is probably a rather obvious tip for TES veterans but *always* make sure you have at least one silver weapon as they are the one sure thing that can hurt undead/ghost enemies. I'm saying this because I very nearly made the mistake of selling mine.

Also, am I the only one was has great difficulty dropping or losing loot when you (and your NPC) cannot carry anything else? I find so much good stuff that it is a pain to have to lose it. Mind you, I still haven't bought a house although I now have over 6,000 Septims so I may buy the one in Winterun that is 5,000 (or does anyone know of a cheaper one)?

I've also yet to enchant a single weapon (where do you get the actual enchantments from?).
You have to break down enchanted items first, I think you can do it whenever you feel like it from your inventory. Then you'll gain the ability to enchant stuff with the enchantment you get.

Old
  (#20)
Kaleid
Maha Guru

Videocard: AMD HD7750
Processor: i3 530 @ 4.04
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D-E
Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: X-fi Extrememusic
PSU: Silver Power 750w
Default 11-14-2011, 11:19 | posts: 2,018 | Location: Sweden

Quote:
I'm happy to say this game is way more difficult than Oblivion ever was. It feels a bit more like a Morrowind/Gothic hybrid + huge gameplay enhancements and deadly reflex.

You probably killed her by accidentally taking her last bit of energy. I found that as long as I let her be there on the ground with little energy she always survives (I'm at level 31, so I've played a bit)

But there are better followers out there.

Last edited by Kaleid; 11-14-2011 at 11:24.

Old
  (#21)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 11:19 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclap View Post
You have to break down enchanted items first, I think you can do it whenever you feel like it from your inventory. Then you'll gain the ability to enchant stuff with the enchantment you get.
I don't recall ever seeing a screen that offered me the option to break down an item to gain its enchantments. Could you post a screenshot please so I'll know where to look, thanks? I've got the feeling that the game would be a bit easier if I had a few enchanted weapons and armour.

Also, does anyone know what attributes allow for the user to carry more weight. I'm currently at 335 but I need more (I don't want to use a cheat either). I remember Oblivion had a spell that allowed the user to lighten the load they were carrying but despite having 25 spells now not one of them allows me to carry more. I haven't found any rings or amulets that have this ability either.

Finally, why is that when I have a lot of expensive loot to sell in order to lighten my already overburdened load that I find the traders run out of money?

Old
  (#22)
eclap
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI Gaming 970 1450/7800
Processor: i5 2500k @4.5 1.2v
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Memory: 8GB G-Skill RipjawsX 1600
Soundcard: Aune T1. AD700. DT880
PSU: XFX Black 750W 80+ Gold
Default 11-14-2011, 11:21 | posts: 26,671 | Location: Hampshire, UK

Anyone else noticed ranged mobs shouting "stand still" in the middle of combat after you dodge a few of their arrows? Made me giggle, thinking "NOPE". die you horrible man!

Old
  (#23)
Keitosha
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire R9 270X 2GB
Processor: FX-8350 + Mugen 4 PCGH
Mainboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3
Memory: 32GB Kingston 4x8GB
Soundcard: SB Z/SH HD477/TX-NR626
PSU: Corsair TX750M
Default 11-14-2011, 11:24 | posts: 4,545 | Location: Netherlands

Quote:
You can also bring up console via ~ and click her body and type RESURRECT.
I had to do that a couple of times because my companion fell through the ground somehow and died. Always love the VOID in TES games.

Old
  (#24)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Default 11-14-2011, 11:24 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

What's the quickest way to earn money in this game?

Old
  (#25)
CPC_RedDawn
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 3GB HD7970OC/2GB HD7770
Processor: 4770K@4.5GHz/Q6600@3.6GHz
Mainboard: Z87-GD65 / P5K PREMIUM
Memory: 16GB@1866MHz/4GB@1066MHz
Soundcard: Creative SoundBlaster Z
PSU: 1200W/900W
Default 11-14-2011, 11:27 | posts: 5,958 | Location: Wolverhampton/United Kingdom

Ive been playing for about 13 hours now, started a new character the other day and ended up overwriting my previous save file so my other character is now gone

They should of made a character selection screen for people who wanted to have multiple characters, which is a shame.

Other than that this game rocks!!! Been trying my hand at completing some of the dungeons. There is one I found, can not remember the name to save my life, and inside I found this MASSIVE spider boss who was guarding this chest. He killed me a few times but nothing my quick save couldn't sort out I killed him and inside the chest was a a two handed enchanted warhammer with stats of 56/28/3676!!! I am only level 8!!! Hahahaha this weapon owns. One hit kill on almost anything I have faced up to yet! Also found a staff in there two which has crap stats but is worth over 6K gold!!! As it is enchanted so that 60% of ALL magicka spells are deflected back to the enemy. I sold it and brought some kick ass armour!

FREAKING LOVING THIS GAME!!!

If there was any game I could give a 10/10 to it would be this game! Just wish they would sort some of the crappy performance issues. For the most part it runs perfect but some area have hiccups.

Closed Thread