Addicted to food

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by peanutmanak47, Oct 16, 2011.

1. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    So I've come to the conclusion I'm addicted to food. In the past 3 years I've put on 100lbs. That's a ****load of weight and its affected me negatively in a lot of different ways. Basically I've become a stereotypical fat American. I don't show my weight badly. I look maybe 260. I'm a big dude but I do have a decent amount of muscle in me. No one ever thinks I weigh 310.

I've tried countless diets but within 2-4 weeks I'm back to eating unhealthy foods filled with salt and sugar and deep fried foods. I now know what it feels like to be a crack head trying to get off of crack. The **** is hard, especially when the environment you live in doesn't encourage healthy eating or exercising.

When I was in the USMC I weighed a good 210lbs but I was in shape. Since getting out(the 3 years) I've done little exercising and much eating. My portions are enormous and I just can't help but to eat at any occasion.

Anyone else have any issues with stuff like this. Its a bit hard to find stuff online because all people talk about is Bulimia & Anorexia.

I guess I would go talk to my doctor first and maybe see someone else about it from there?

2. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    but but but arent we all addicted to food?

your getting lazy bro go for a run or three, hooah! :)

3. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Too much pogey bait

4. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I'm addicted to food too, sometimes, i eat food, 3 or 4 times a day. Sometimes more.
    Sometimes i feel like i'll die if i go a few days without food.

Ok, on a more serious note:
    Yeah talk to your doctor, but chances have it, he'll just suggest diet and exercise. I'd first rule out a medical issue though.
    If you want it, you need to work for it.
    Don't quit on diets, or on exercise, if you do, theres only 1 person to blame, and that's yourself.

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I have a legitimate candy addiction, although I'm able to manage it somewhat. I should have diabetes with the amount I put away though lmao

6. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Lol, smartass.

But yeah i know in the end it is up to me, but damn its so hard. It really is like a drug addiction.

7. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Between the meds i have been on and all the food i eat i am up to 250 and i am only five feet 8 inches tall..my gut is pretty big and it saddens me,,,,but i cant really complain cause its me that keeps eating..but with these meds i dont have to eat and i will still gain weight.

The meds i come off of next month and then i should shed the pounds but i know the gut will still be there.

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    eat rice, fill up. once your full, you wont think of food for a while??

when i have any craving, i'll just fill up on something else like say rice or whatever and after that i wont think about that huge slice of cake or Taco Bell..etc.

9. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970

That's the problem though. I won't even be hungry and I'll eat way to much. I could just get done with dinner and be full, but if someone walked into my house and was like "here have these mcdonalds fries" I wouldn't turn them down and I would eat them in a heart beat.

10. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    First, the problem is in your head, and nowhere else. You probably eat out of boredom if you do it even when you're not hungry. Therefore --> make sure you are not bored!

Another tip: try to get into the routine of doing some relatively heavy exercise; you will then begin thinking of the energy content of your food in terms of the equivalent amount of exercise needed to shave that energy off, and I can say from experience that this is one damn good motivator to stop any excess from going into your mouth.

A third tip: try to eat more protein, instead of carbs. Carbs make you fat (<-- huge generalization, but for your purposes, take it at face value), and don't really keep you full for very long (exceptions apply; oat meal for instance is more than decent in this department). Meat is great. The thermic effect of protein is around 27%, which is substantially higher than that of carbs (7%) and fats (3%) -- read what this means here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/371448/understanding_the_thermogenic_effects_pg2.html?cat=5

A fourth tip: only eat at set times, i.e. get into a habit of eating your breakfast at time X, (some healthy) snack at Y, lunch at Z, etc., and try to depart from these as little as possible.

I'm not overweight, nor have I ever been, so I don't know if these will do anything for you, but I'd imagine that the first one I have identified is really the root cause of your problem. I can't imagine having a craving for food all of a sudden if I'm doing something which requires my immediate focus, for instance, unless I haven't eaten in several hours, of course ...

11. peanutmanak47

peanutmanak47 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970

It does have a lot to do with boredom. I'm at my house watching my two kids for most the day. We only have one car and my fiance takes it to work when I don't have school.

Other than breakfast it would be hard for me to schedule my eating times because of school, kids speech classes, fiances work schedule. I always eat a breakfast though, no matter what the day brings.

I have some control over the content of food I eat. I have a high protein diet as is. I only eat fast food maybe once a week. My big problem is the amount that I eat and candy. I have a crazy sweet tooth.

And thanks for that link. Didn't know that. Stuff.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  12. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Exercise on a regular basis & improve your diet.

I started intense weight training, started taking nootropics, & improved my diet only a few months ago. I dropped 40 lbs of fat & gained 15+ lbs of muscle. I feel great & rarely miss the junk food. It's much easier than I thought it would be to get into great shape. After a few months of rigorous exercise & a good high protein/high fiber diet + lots of fruits & veggies, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Well worth the effort & again once you're in great shape & see how it feels, you'll never want to go back to your old lifestyle.

13. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    take up smoking instead lol

14. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    same here, i get cranky if i don't have sugar in my system for 2 days.

15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Remove soft drinks, sweets, crisps and chocolate from your diet completely and replace them with fruit juice (not from concentrate stuff), real fruit, yogurt (not too much), plain popcorn etc

Next, totally cut-down on ALL fried/oily stuff where possible. That's the chips/fries, fried chicken, burgers, battered anything etc. Allow yourself these "treats" once a week.

Try preparing salads yourself with minimum dressing. If you appy no dressing you can pretty much each it throughout the whole day without worry. As additional snacks try boiling whole corn on a cob (1-3) and eating as much as you can.

Major thing that will happen is your taste buds will come back if you eat healthily and you will start enjoying your food more instead of just craving and over-indulging on rubbish.

Turn to stuff like boiled noodles if you need additional snacks.

Just think long-term how it will change your life around not just for yourself, but, for your family too and start exercising again...even if it's for 1 minute to start with. Good luck!

16. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    A wild snorlax appears!

I know.. I'm a bad man... :O

17. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I'm a food addict and only 60kg, i guess it depends what kind of food you are into. I myself am a health food addict (yes i sit at my computer and eat all day) and the thought of most types of bad foods is sickening to me.

Last night i had to eat cake because someone made it and would be offended if i didn't try it and now today I'm scared to eat much more then vegetable soup with some rice cakes. x.x. Learning about what it does to your body is always a good motivation to lose weight. Also being spoilt with proper food options helps. :3

Diets are fail, permanent life style change or nothing.

18. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    Diets are for women. Time to hit up the GYM, no joke, that's the only thing that'll help you getting back in shape. Eating better is just 20%, 80% is working out.

19. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    dude rice makes you more hungry. Ever hear about chinese food not satiating people (hungry an hour later?)

I'm afraid it's the other way around. You can lose weight without even exercising by basically removing carbs from your diet. I say look in your fridge, and if it's not a plant or an animal.. toss it. Plants, animals, and water is all you need. When I say plants, I mean in their original form I don't mean crackers (grains), or vegetable oil(olive oil is good though). Basically non-processed plants and animals. Trust me you will feel full and you'll feel better as your body won't be full of toxins.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  20. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    randy, what chemicals are at play this time?!?!