Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > SSD and HDD storage
SSD and HDD storage This section covers storage hardware like SSDs HDDs, RAID chatter and everything related


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Western Digital!!
Old
  (#1)
mmicrosysm
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
Processor: Cyrix 133 MHz
Mainboard: OEM
Memory: 8MB FPM DRAM
Soundcard: Sound Blaster 16
PSU: 150 Watt AT
Angry Western Digital!! - 10-05-2011, 14:51 | posts: 693 | Location: Tonawanda

I normally purchase Seagate for desktops and Hitachi, Samsung or Toshiba for laptops for my clients or personally hard drive replacement and/or upgrade. But this month I had no choice but to purchase some WD's drive due to supply from my wholesaler. Well so far 2 of those WD's have come back already defective, one 3.5" drive and one 2.5" drive. So I take it WD has not changed when it comes to reliability. Last WD drive I purchase!!!
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtek® ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 10-05-2011, 17:48 | posts: 16,134 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmicrosysm View Post
I normally purchase Seagate for desktops and Hitachi, Samsung or Toshiba for laptops for my clients or personally hard drive replacement and/or upgrade. But this month I had no choice but to purchase some WD's drive due to supply from my wholesaler. Well so far 2 of those WD's have come back already defective, one 3.5" drive and one 2.5" drive. So I take it WD has not changed when it comes to reliability. Last WD drive I purchase!!!
wow...getting a faulty WD harddrive is fairly rare compared to Seagate (since the merger with Maxtor). Out of 100 or so WD drives.....I've only ever had 1 fail in less than 5 years that was actually the fault of the drive (integrated controller failure). I've had 2 ATA66 drives fail....1 due to a software error and 1 due to sheer age (10 years is a long time for a drive that's powered 24/7).
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Chillin
Ancient Guru
 
Chillin's Avatar
 
Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 560 930/2300
Processor: i5-2500K@4.4GHz 1.2v H60
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: G.Skill 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: X-Fi XtremeGamer+Z506 5.1
PSU: Corsair TX 750w v2
Default 10-05-2011, 22:26 | posts: 6,446 | Location: Chilling

I have over ten WD drives (including new ones), not one has ever failed me. I go and buy two Samsung 2TB drives, and one of them has a defective disk.

Sometimes you just win the short straw.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
BLEH!
Ancient Guru
 
BLEH!'s Avatar
 
Videocard: 2*7970 @ 1000/1500
Processor: "Core i9" @ 4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte X79S-UP5
Memory: 16GB@1600MHz@9-9-9-24
Soundcard: Saffire Pro40/KRK Rokit 5
PSU: Enermax Revo 1500W
Default 10-05-2011, 22:29 | posts: 4,653 | Location: Not Far North Enough (England)

Only ever had a seagate go on me, all the rest are samsungs I thinks.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
ShadowMyth
Ancient Guru
 
ShadowMyth's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX 470 @ 850
Processor: I7-4770K @ 4.3
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7
Memory: G.Skill @ 2600 9-11-11-30
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: Xion 1000W
Default 10-05-2011, 22:30 | posts: 3,483 | Location: PA

It seems like luck of the draw for both Seagate & WD. I've had to replace a Seagate three times & a WD once in the past couple years.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Zahn
Member Guru
 
Videocard: VTX HD 6870
Processor: Phenom 2 940
Mainboard: MSI 790FX Platinum AM2+
Memory: 4 Gb OCZ GOLD DDR2
Soundcard: Realtek Onboard+X-FI MB
PSU: Seasonic 620W S12 2
Default 10-09-2011, 02:33 | posts: 53

Maybe its not WD fault, cuz when you see what delivery guys are doing to boxes with some expensive equipment its not wonder that many product are damaged.
IMO WD is the best company in HDD scene, some 3 years ago i bought Seagate drive, and it died 2 days after and i lost 320 gb of personal data , mostly music it hurts but what can you do.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
scoutingwraith
Ancient Guru
 
scoutingwraith's Avatar
 
Videocard: eVGA 670 FTW/ Intel4400
Processor: i5-3570K 4.0/i7-4500U 2.4
Mainboard: ASRock Z77Ex4/Haswell-ULT
Memory: 16GB 1600 / 8GB 1600
Soundcard: Realtek HD / Realtek HD
PSU: Corsair HX750W / 9 Cell
Default 10-09-2011, 04:33 | posts: 9,454 | Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Almost all of my hard drives are WD drives and i have never had any of them go bad on me. Heck i have an old 80GB that i still use to this day and still has not failed or show signs of any kind....
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Indigo
Newbie
 
Videocard: XFX Radeon HD 5870 x 2
Processor: Phenom II X4 965
Mainboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3
Memory: 8GB Mushkin DDR3 1333
Soundcard: Onboard / Z-5500's
PSU: Corsair 850 Watt
Default 10-09-2011, 08:47 | posts: 22 | Location: Colorado

It's amazing how people get in an uproar based on conjectural evidence. If you look at the failure rates of the drives on Newegg or Amazon, you'll see a pretty striking spread in some of the families. I used to purchase the WD 640GB drives for my new builds (customers or myself) and I'd had a couple go south on me. I've experienced the same with Seagate, but with their 1TB drives. I've never had a Samsung go south on me, but I've only recently started to pick them over WD for main builds.

My point is that you'll always find fault in something that you've got a prejudice over in the first place. If something fails me, I don't cry over spilled milk (and yes, I'm a data paranoid FREAK, backing up things at least three levels deep in most cases) but if I'm done wrong by a maker, I'll stop using them for a short time, but I always go back and try them out again. You just never know, sometimes bad batches come through.

I'm not trying to tell you that you're a fool for saying what you're saying about WD (or anyone saying anything about any maker for that matter) just that QC isn't perfect, humans make these things, failures happen. WD isn't trying to sell you bad drives. At least their CEO doesn't think your drives are mainly used for porn
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtek® ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 10-09-2011, 16:03 | posts: 16,134 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
It's amazing how people get in an uproar based on conjectural evidence. If you look at the failure rates of the drives on Newegg or Amazon, you'll see a pretty striking spread in some of the families. I used to purchase the WD 640GB drives for my new builds (customers or myself) and I'd had a couple go south on me. I've experienced the same with Seagate, but with their 1TB drives. I've never had a Samsung go south on me, but I've only recently started to pick them over WD for main builds.

My point is that you'll always find fault in something that you've got a prejudice over in the first place. If something fails me, I don't cry over spilled milk (and yes, I'm a data paranoid FREAK, backing up things at least three levels deep in most cases) but if I'm done wrong by a maker, I'll stop using them for a short time, but I always go back and try them out again. You just never know, sometimes bad batches come through.

I'm not trying to tell you that you're a fool for saying what you're saying about WD (or anyone saying anything about any maker for that matter) just that QC isn't perfect, humans make these things, failures happen. WD isn't trying to sell you bad drives. At least their CEO doesn't think your drives are mainly used for porn
I had no prejudice against Maxtor, until I had 5 of their drives fail on me in the same day.... Now I'm glad they no longer exist....
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
sdamaged99
Maha Guru
 
sdamaged99's Avatar
 
Videocard: 7870XT Joker 1150/1650
Processor: i7 3930K 4.8Ghz H20
Mainboard: Rampage Extreme IV
Memory: 32GB Samsung 2400mhz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar HDAV1.3
PSU: 1000W Coolermaster Pro
Default 10-10-2011, 08:30 | posts: 1,933 | Location: Isle of Man

I'm running 12 of the 2TB WD Caviar Greens in a RAID6 set, not had a failure yet.

Plus i do believe WD offer an advanced replacement of faulty drives too (well they did with the Raptors anyway)

I think they are great drives

Ordered 5 x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB drives a couple of years back, 3 arrived faulty. It's all luck of the draw.
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#11)
PhazeDelta1
Ancient Guru
 
PhazeDelta1's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI 780 Lightning SLI
Processor: Intel i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Creative SB Z
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Default 10-10-2011, 08:54 | posts: 13,010 | Location: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamaged99 View Post
I'm running 12 of the 2TB WD Caviar Greens in a RAID6 set, not had a failure yet.

Plus i do believe WD offer an advanced replacement of faulty drives too (well they did with the Raptors anyway)

I think they are great drives

Ordered 5 x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB drives a couple of years back, 3 arrived faulty. It's all luck of the draw.
12? goddamn lol. i thought i was bad with having more than 5 hdds lol.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Weiji
Member Guru
 
Weiji's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD 6850 1gb 1680x1050
Processor: Intel 2500K
Mainboard: MSI Z68MA-GD45
Memory: 8GB DDR3 g.Skill
Soundcard:
PSU: OCZ 600W Mod Xstreme
Default 10-10-2011, 14:21 | posts: 69 | Location: New Orleans

I recently had a 320gb WD fail on me after 4.5 years of power on hours. I dropped it a few times on my desk and slapped it back in. It worked for another 2 weeks (to retrieve the data) before failing agian. I pulled an 80gb WD drive from a friend's computer (still working) that had around 6 years of power on hours a few weeks ago.

On the other hand I've had 3 Seagate drives die right around 3 year of use each time and every Maxtor hdd I've had never lasted 1 year.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
mmicrosysm
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
Processor: Cyrix 133 MHz
Mainboard: OEM
Memory: 8MB FPM DRAM
Soundcard: Sound Blaster 16
PSU: 150 Watt AT
Default 10-12-2011, 18:18 | posts: 693 | Location: Tonawanda

Received one of my RMA drives from WD. DOA!!! Nice I guess checking drive before shipping it a little too much for them.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
HamsterCrispy
Master Guru
 
HamsterCrispy's Avatar
 
Videocard: GTX 650 Ti SSC
Processor: Core i5-2400
Mainboard: P8H61 LX3+
Memory: 6 GB Team Elite
Soundcard: Onboard crap
PSU: Silverstone 500W
Default 10-13-2011, 00:32 | posts: 761 | Location: Pacific Ring of Fire

Ive tried that too. My first purchase back then when i was upgrading my HDD was a Western Digital Blue 500 GB. - Dead On Arrival!

So i returned it and they gave me another one and after 1 day of working - it was not detected!

So i changed into a Seagate Barracuda and had no problems till today.

Thats why I also would not be getting WD's anymore. They used to be good back then, but lately ive been seeing a lot of issues with their low end HDDs (blue and greens)
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtek® ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 10-13-2011, 01:13 | posts: 16,134 | Location: US East Coast

I still laugh every time I read threads like this one. The local pc shop here handles computers for doctors' offices, the military, nasa, and countless other companies. All they sell is WD harddrives. I've asked several times how often he sees drives fail and his response is always the same "On rare occassions."
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#16)
mmicrosysm
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
Processor: Cyrix 133 MHz
Mainboard: OEM
Memory: 8MB FPM DRAM
Soundcard: Sound Blaster 16
PSU: 150 Watt AT
Default 10-13-2011, 15:30 | posts: 693 | Location: Tonawanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
I still laugh every time I read threads like this one. The local pc shop here handles computers for doctors' offices, the military, nasa, and countless other companies. All they sell is WD harddrives. I've asked several times how often he sees drives fail and his response is always the same "On rare occassions."
Well 3 in one month is not a rare occasion! This has so far exceeded any Seagate I've every RMA'd for personal or client use.

I talked to WD and they are sending me another drive Advanced RMA to me with a Pre-Paid Return shipping for the second defective HDD at no cost to me.

By the way I to am a PC repair shop and I see more WD failures then other drive manufactures here. One of the reason I very rarely purchase WD drives for my client repairs. I made an exception here and see what that got me and my clients. All three drives have an August 2011 manufacture date and are different models.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#17)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru
 
nhlkoho's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k / H100i
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: SB X-FI Fatality
PSU: BFG 680 Watt
Default 10-13-2011, 16:14 | posts: 4,633 | Location: Washington DC

I've never had a WD drive fail on me. I've got at least 10 on a shelf and all of them still work.
I even plugged in the 20GB drive I bought back in 2001 last weekend and it's still going strong.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#18)
mmicrosysm
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
Processor: Cyrix 133 MHz
Mainboard: OEM
Memory: 8MB FPM DRAM
Soundcard: Sound Blaster 16
PSU: 150 Watt AT
Default 10-17-2011, 19:41 | posts: 693 | Location: Tonawanda

K got my replacement of the replacement from WD and all seems fine I even ran diagnostic scan on drive and it passed with flying colors. Hope this does not give my client problems.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#19)
sykozis
Ancient Guru
 
sykozis's Avatar
 
Videocard: Radeon R7 240
Processor: AMD Athlon 5350
Mainboard: Asus AM1M-A
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Realtek® ALC887-VD
PSU: Unk 300watt
Default 10-21-2011, 01:38 | posts: 16,134 | Location: US East Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmicrosysm View Post
Well 3 in one month is not a rare occasion! This has so far exceeded any Seagate I've every RMA'd for personal or client use.

I talked to WD and they are sending me another drive Advanced RMA to me with a Pre-Paid Return shipping for the second defective HDD at no cost to me.

By the way I to am a PC repair shop and I see more WD failures then other drive manufactures here. One of the reason I very rarely purchase WD drives for my client repairs. I made an exception here and see what that got me and my clients. All three drives have an August 2011 manufacture date and are different models.
I've dealt with 4 different local shops over the years and they've all told me the same thing... "If you want a drive that will last, buy WD". I've been using WD harddrives for nearly 20 years and I've only had 3 WD harddrives fail in that time. However, I've never seen a Maxtor drive last longer than 3 years (best case scenario) with most failing within the first 90 days. Hell, I personally had 5 fail within less than 8hrs (bought the first one Saturday morning, returned the 5th that same Saturday afternoon). My Crucial M4 256GB and M4 64GB are the first non-WD drives I've purchased in more than 10 years.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#20)
TERRABYTEONE
Member Guru
 
Videocard: 32g
Processor: 2700k
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: 1250w
Default 10-21-2011, 15:28 | posts: 141

back in 2007-2008 (shop pc ) head techn.. i say many seagate fail, vs wd (but they stilled failed), depends on models sold(def models/batches) from sert factories mad at.

biggest drive was 1tb at the time(late 2008 seagate rel 1.5tb model(needed firmware fix)

most failures where smallest drive up to 500g typ
we also sold many enterprise hdds.

wd re2 entprise hdd (bad) 2 out of 300 + sold, seagate enterprise (es) (faulity out of packet) 25 from 200+, (started going wd in enterprise)

the wd 2 bad units had bad virbrations (i rejected them) but no media errors(other than very loud) (wd tests the enterprise drives before release)

the seagate most ware dead out of packet, 3-4 had bad vibrations (loud+ shaked) but media was falt free at start.

i believe that seages entp drives wher not tested at factory lvl

explains why dead out of packet where happening for entprise drives.


even if the factory test the hdd (wd) it hard to find(test) for bad vibrations.


I remember when the first 640g 3.5 wd hrive came out,(standard 7200pm) iv vibrated badly, compared to 700+ or 500 size wd drives, you hook it up + place it on desk, and unlike other drives.. it would keep knocking the desk+ moving on the desk(virating+moving)

Last edited by TERRABYTEONE; 10-21-2011 at 15:35.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#21)
mmicrosysm
Master Guru
 
Videocard: Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
Processor: Cyrix 133 MHz
Mainboard: OEM
Memory: 8MB FPM DRAM
Soundcard: Sound Blaster 16
PSU: 150 Watt AT
Default 10-21-2011, 20:59 | posts: 693 | Location: Tonawanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
I've dealt with 4 different local shops over the years and they've all told me the same thing... "If you want a drive that will last, buy WD". I've been using WD harddrives for nearly 20 years and I've only had 3 WD harddrives fail in that time. However, I've never seen a Maxtor drive last longer than 3 years (best case scenario) with most failing within the first 90 days. Hell, I personally had 5 fail within less than 8hrs (bought the first one Saturday morning, returned the 5th that same Saturday afternoon). My Crucial M4 256GB and M4 64GB are the first non-WD drives I've purchased in more than 10 years.
I guess I'm getting all the good Seagates then or just happen to have good luck with them.

Been running my business since 1998 and see more WD failures over Seagate. I would trust a Quantum Fireball over WD LOL
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#22)
mcdinz
Newbie
 
Videocard: PowerColor HD 4650 512MB
Processor: Athlon II X2 245
Mainboard: ECS GF6100PM-M2 v3.0
Memory: 2GB Kingston DDR2 800
Soundcard: Realtek AC97 onboard
PSU: Thermaltake 500W
Default 10-28-2011, 09:21 | posts: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillin View Post
I have over ten WD drives (including new ones), not one has ever failed me. I go and buy two Samsung 2TB drives, and one of them has a defective disk.

Sometimes you just win the short straw.
Also me i bought last week WD Caviar Blue 320GB and its pretty working good.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#23)
scoutingwraith
Ancient Guru
 
scoutingwraith's Avatar
 
Videocard: eVGA 670 FTW/ Intel4400
Processor: i5-3570K 4.0/i7-4500U 2.4
Mainboard: ASRock Z77Ex4/Haswell-ULT
Memory: 16GB 1600 / 8GB 1600
Soundcard: Realtek HD / Realtek HD
PSU: Corsair HX750W / 9 Cell
Default 10-28-2011, 19:25 | posts: 9,454 | Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdinz View Post
Also me i bought last week WD Caviar Blue 320GB and its pretty working good.
Just a suggestion when getting a WD Drive i recommend their Black series. They might be a little higher priced but it seems they are of better quality.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#24)
DSparil
Ancient Guru
 
DSparil's Avatar
 
Videocard: HIS 7870 IceQ GHz 2GB
Processor: AMD FX-8320 @4.3 w/YASYA
Mainboard: ASUS M5A97
Memory: 8GB G.Skill 1866
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Xtreme
PSU: TT Toughpower XT 675
Default 10-28-2011, 23:07 | posts: 2,907 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL

^ I also have a couple of WD Caviar drives (one blue and one green) and have had no problems as of yet. Just like someone said above, its the luck of the draw. I doubt WD has many more failures than Seagate, Maxtor or anyone else
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#25)
IcE
Ancient Guru
 
IcE's Avatar
 
Videocard: Zotac GTX 780
Processor: i5 3570K @4.2 GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
Memory: 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z + CAL
PSU: Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
Default 10-29-2011, 01:02 | posts: 8,905 | Location: The Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
I had no prejudice against Maxtor, until I had 5 of their drives fail on me in the same day.... Now I'm glad they no longer exist....
Come on now, if 5 failed in the same day you clearly were responsible. No way that was luck.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.