Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Game Tweaks and Modifications
Game Tweaks and Modifications This forum is dedicated to game modifications and tweaks. Here you can discuss performance and image quality modifications.

Sikkmod v1.2 Released
Old
  (#1)
EL1TE
Master Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX970 G1
Processor: Intel i5 4670K @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Z87-PRO
Memory: GSkill Sniper DDR3 2133
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair GS700
Lightbulb Sikkmod v1.2 Released - 09-04-2011, 11:48 | posts: 193

Image Taken by Marcel

Sikkmod is a general enhancement mod for id Software's 2004 FPS: Doom 3. Its main purposes are to update visuals of Doom 3 to a more modern level and to allow the user to customize various aspects of the game to suit their preferred styles all while maintaining the core mechanics and aesthetics originally put in by id Software. The mod also includes a number of fixes to and better organization of stock files in order to create a clean and more stable base for future mods.

Quote:
//================================================== ===========================
// Change Log:
//================================================== ===========================

v1.2:

- Gameplay:
-------------
- Added a cvar to select between normal, Doom, and custom max armor values. The values used are set through their respective def files.

- Added a cvar to select between normal, Doom, and custom ammo capacity values. The values used are set through their respective def files.

- Added a cvar to select between normal, Doom, and custom ammo clip size values. The values used are set through their respective def files.

- Added a cvar to toggle weapon awareness. Having weapon awareness on also reduces spread/recoil while zoomed in.

- Added a cvar to select weapon handling type meaning what kind of spread/recoil to use. Fixed means the the values are fixed and variable means that the values increase as you continue firing. The mechanic is very basic but it works well enough for Doom 3 gameplay.

- Added a cvar to toggle the origin point where the player's weapon projectile is launched from. Default means it uses what's defined in the weapon's def and "From Barrel", of course, means all projectiles are launched from the weapon's barrel. The Precise crosshair works with both methods.

- Added a cvar to toggle player fall damage on/off.

- Added a cvar to set the player's movement speed. 0(Doom 3) and 1(Doom 1&2) are hard coded. 2(Custom) means it uses the values that are set in "pm_crouchspeed", "pm_walkspeed", and "pm_runspeed" cvars.

- Added a cvar to select between normal, Doom, and custom damage values. The values used are set through their respective def files. The Doom 1 & 2 values use the same math as use in the original Doom games.

- Added a cvar to select between normal, Doom, and custom locational damage scale values. The values used are set through their respective def files. Doom 1 & 2 mode means there's no locational damage.

- Added a cvar to select between normal, Doom, and custom enemy health values. The values used are set through their respective def files.

- Added a cvar to select between normal, Doom, and custom weapon damage values. The values used are set through their respective def files. The cvar also changes enemy damage values.

- Added a new monster: Spectre. Basically just a pink demon with a custom skin. It randomly replaces the normal pinky based on value of "g_enemySpectreFactor".

- Added two monsters from revility's Demon Expansion Pack: The Baron of Hell and Pain Elemental. The Baron randomly replaces the Hellknight and the Pain Elemental randomly replaces the Cacodemon. Their appearance factor is controlled by the cvars: "g_enemyBaronFactor" and "g_enemyPainElementalFactor", respectively.

- Cyberdemon no longer takes splash damage when "Cyberdemon Damage Type" is set to "All Weapons", like in the original Doom games.

- Fixed "Precise" crosshair. It's completely accurate now for all weapons.

- Added Chainsaw Stickage™. This is to mimic the behavior of the Doom chainsaw where the view follows the monsters being chainsawed. Should make chainsawing lost souls and other monsters easier.

- Monsters now have a "pain chance" while hacking them up with the chainsaw. The pain animation overrides their melee attack similar to how it is in Doom 1 & 2. This is to make the chainsaw a more viable weapon and, not to mention, much more fun to use.

- Removed the chainsaw's need for plasma fuel.

- Graphics:
-------------
- Fixed sun shafts shader.

- Fixed/improved a number of ao shaders. HBAO (low, medium, and high), ray marching, and vo have all been touched to either work better or to actually work correctly.

- Improved the look of the explosion radial blur shader.

- Some minor tweaks to the interaction shaders that will hopefully improve performance some.

- Went through every shader and fixed/tweaked various things where needed.

- Added a number of replacement interaction shaders that use various parallax methods. These are to maintain mod compatibility for those who are using high-res texture packs with heightmap support. It is recommended to use one of these shaders as opposed to the ones that come with any of the texture packs.

- Reverted all of the glass materials to their default states, so no more glass specular.

- Interface:
-------------
- Updated main menu with the new cvars

- Added a cvar to select between the use of Doom 3's default hud gui and the custom Alpha hud. One thing to note is that "g_useDynamicHud" only effects the Alpha hud.

- Misc:
-------------

- Added a cvar to select between the use of Doom 3's default player head model and the marine helmet as the player's head.

- Moveable items now have collision sound effects.

- Fixed a bug in Delta1 where the outer ring of the reactor would move into place due to colliding with a medkit.

*Note: Again, this list is probably not 100% complete. Since it's just me working on this, I tend not to document every little change I make.
Download @ MODDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetA View Post
----------------------------------------------------------------------

What can i do to make the textures look better?
Are there good texture Packs?
How the hell do i install it?

Ok, guys, all these questions im gonna answer u now...

Links to Texture Packs...:

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||

Monoxead´s Textures...still in work, but these are the Best so far..Sadly there are only textures for Mars city level of Doom 3, but that is not bad..cause we gonna use a diff pack for the rest...
Link to his Homepage -->

DOWNLOAD - Latest Pack...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
U might know Rygel from crysis 1 with his awesome texture pack he did...well, heres the Doom 3 one

Extreme Quality Mod by Rygel v1.0.....This mod upgrades the graphics of DOOM 3 and its expansion plus alters a few things in the gameplay (weapons' specs essentially). Most of the textures look sharper, the monsters have scarier skins, the weapons have new sounds, fire more realistically and the blood is more profuse.

If you like this mod, be sure to check out the 1.1 update

DOWNLOAD:
UPDATE 1.1 is right here --->

--------------------------------------------------------------------->

Extreme Quality Mod 1.1 by Rygel....This incremental update to Extreme Quality Mod 1.1 adds various bloom effects to DOOM 3. You may choose between multiple combinations depending on your system characteristics (graphics card brand and performance).

For ATI owners:
- Parallax + Briliant bloom
- 3mood + Parallax + Brilliant bloom

For NVIDIA owners:
- Parallax + Briliant bloom
- 3mood + Parallax + Brilliant bloom
- Relief + Brilliant bloom

Again, this mod is compatible with both DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil.

Again, i will explain later on how we use all this..just download it all....

DOWNLOAD:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HighRes 200x100 Jumbo Size Models Textures v1.4 !......This mod was originally developed by Saducimus, with 1024x1024 Jumbo Size Monster Skins, however, since then, this Doom III mod has been fully completely & updated by Dafama2K7. Essentially, HighRes Textures D3 will increase the size of all textures & models to 1024X1024; The skins have only been increased in size, not modified in any other way.

Some of the changes in this version include:
o Fixed Description.txt file.
o Updated & fixed docs.
o Added 200% converted bigger size E3 Alpha models textures.
o Changed mod name to HighRes Textures to reflect that this mod is not limited to 1024x bigger sized textures, but to increase the size to 200% for all model textures.

This is definitely something you should should consider using as a base for your own skins, Dafama2K7 has hit it right on the head with his statement: You will LOVE the amount of detail that will be possible! So if you like lots of eye-candy with a tonne of detail, then you will be happy with this download. Start your download now!

DOWNLOAD:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perfected Doom 3 Texture Pack v1.0....This is a texture pack that I have created that will sharpen all model skins, map textures, and load screen pictures.

DOWNLOAD:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last one is this here...Its, hmmm lets say for the ones that like to test alil...
Anyway i will tell u what to do with these files here:

This is Parallax Oclusion mapping for doom3..Looks awesome..but its stil in progress since, well ever..
But i will show u guys later how to use it with an Test Map..and maybe ingame too...

INFO -->
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now!!! Here are some screens.....

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

@ TheHUnter..u might wanna post some pics too...u have also nice ones

INFO....
These screens are still from version 1.0 Sikkmod, i have not installed the new version yet, so if u have screens feel free to post em

I am now giong to eat and then try to figure out that tutorial on how to use all that in one Pack...That means i have to open every single PAK file and all these things to compare all of those and change them so they dont override each other...Could take me a while, but i will be back....

Ok, thats it for now...Dont go away there will be coming more...

Greetz Beta

Last edited by EL1TE; 09-05-2011 at 11:10.

Old
  (#2)
NiukNiuk
Maha Guru

Videocard: MSI R6950 twin frozr II
Processor: Intel core 2 quad Q9450
Mainboard: MSI X48C platinum
Memory: 8Go ddr3 PC 10600
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2 pci
PSU: Corsair TX 750v2
Default 09-04-2011, 12:00 | posts: 2,057 | Location: France

Nice, thank you for the info !

Important thing to quote:
Quote:
Added a number of replacement interaction shaders that use various parallax methods. These are to maintain mod compatibility for those who are using high-res texture packs with heightmap support. It is recommended to use one of these shaders as opposed to the ones that come with any of the texture packs.

Old
  (#3)
EL1TE
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 09-04-2011, 12:04 | posts: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiukNiuk View Post
You're welcome. =)

When you can and have patience please update your pack, thank you.

Old
  (#4)
NiukNiuk
Maha Guru

Default 09-04-2011, 13:06 | posts: 2,057 | Location: France

Well the new POM interaction.vfp and test.vfp give me black textures

Old
  (#5)
TheHunter
Banned

Videocard: MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
Processor: Intel C2Q 9450 @ 3.576GHZ
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 [F8H]
Memory: Corsair D. 2x2GB @1073MHZ
Soundcard: XFi Fatality Pro [SB046A]
PSU: Tagan Piperock 600W [48A]
Default 09-04-2011, 16:10 | posts: 13,425 | Location: √╥²

Quote:

Important thing to quote:
yes i was about to highlight that part as well, so this means wulffen's POM doesnt work anymore?

Old
  (#6)
NiukNiuk
Maha Guru

Default 09-04-2011, 18:10 | posts: 2,057 | Location: France

The glprogs folder now contains 5 sub-folders:
parallax (Parallax Mapping)
parallax with offset limiting
pom (Parallax Occlusion Mapping)
relief (Relief Mapping)
steep parallax (Steep Parallax Mapping)
Each folder contains the interaction.vfp and test.vfp files. You have to choose one of these folders (depending of the effect you want), and copy the selected .vfp files to the root of the glprogs folder.

So to get the "relief effect", you should use the two files in the POM folder, but doing this results in a bug for me (black textures)...
I'll try on a clean install.

Old
  (#7)
Valken
Master Guru

Videocard: HIS 6950 2GB CFX unlocked
Processor: Intel i7-4970k
Mainboard: Asrock Z97 OC Formula
Memory: 16GB DDR3-1333
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair RM1000
Default 09-04-2011, 19:13 | posts: 755

I was going to install this but will wait for NiukNiuk to test it first!

I already have your combo pack and it is even better than Perfected Doom mod so don't want to mess it up now.

I hope 1.2 gets ported to Prey and Quake 4 soon.

Old
  (#8)
NiukNiuk
Maha Guru

Default 09-04-2011, 20:14 | posts: 2,057 | Location: France

Ok it works (I had to delete my doomconfig.cfg file)
I made a quick comparison between the different parallax methods contained in this glprogs folder (you can choose the one you like the most):
Sikkmod 1.2 parallax methods comparisons

EDIT: hey, new thing added in this version 1.2: FXAA is available as an edge anti-aliasing method, under the "color" menu

Last edited by NiukNiuk; 09-04-2011 at 20:34.

Old
  (#9)
BetA
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
Processor: Q9550@3,8Ghz@Vendetta2
Mainboard: Asus P5Q Ket´s mBIOS :)
Memory: 4x2048 OCZ-REAPER 1080Mhz
Soundcard: CreativeX-FI X-tremeGamer
PSU: Corsair VX550W 550 Watt
Default 09-04-2011, 20:33 | posts: 3,808 | Location: outside the Box...

ok cool idea El1te..
lets merge these 2 threads together, hehe..
The first one was mine doh.And i would update it if i would knew theres a new version out..But sadly i didnt..lol

edit.

i updatet my sikkmod 1.1 post and added a link to here...

Last edited by BetA; 09-04-2011 at 20:39.

Old
  (#10)
TheHunter
Banned

Default 09-04-2011, 20:45 | posts: 13,425 | Location: √╥²

Quote:
I made a quick comparison between the different parallax methods contained in this glprogs folder (you can choose the one you like the most):

EDIT: hey, new thing added in this version 1.2: FXAA is available as an edge anti-aliasing method, under the "color" menu
hehe i have a few extra questions

the last Steep Parallax looks the best imo, does it run faster compared to wulffens POM?

Can i still use wulffens extra textures + this new Steep Parallax? i see you mentioned its location, so you now can switch on the fly ingame with diff parallax types?

in 1,1 i merged wulfens textures and progs with default sikkmod modfiles.pk4 file.. can i do the same now?

tnx

Old
  (#11)
BetA
Ancient Guru

Default 09-04-2011, 20:49 | posts: 3,808 | Location: outside the Box...

ahhhhh

question question questions...Hunter is out of his cage again....hes loooosee!!!!!!!!!

anyway..i guess u can, yes...
man im sleepy..

Dear Thread OP....could u please put the links and texture stuff like in my sikkmod1.1 thread here to? i mean in ur first post so we have all at one place..

greetz Beta

Old
  (#12)
Valken
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 09-04-2011, 20:49 | posts: 755

Quote:

Is this with the default sikkmod 1.2 or is it a combined pack with sikkmod 1.2 added? I think POM and relief looks the best so far.

Old
  (#13)
NiukNiuk
Maha Guru

Default 09-04-2011, 20:56 | posts: 2,057 | Location: France

Quote:
man im sleepy..
I'm sleepy too

@TheHunter: I only did some quick test (in the maps I took the screenshots), and overall POM is still really heavy on performance in Hell map ^^ concerning the other methods...well I don't know: I made a quicksave, quit the game, changed the parallax vfp files, launched the game again and loaded my savegame to make these screenshots. I did this to get identical screenshots (better to compare). So I didn't really "play" (I'll do this tomorrow).

And yes you can use one of these 5 parallax methods with the texture packs (my screenshots prove it^^), just copy interaction.vfp and test.vfp from your favorite parallax method's folder, into the glprogs folder (on the root of the folder), and launch the game.
If (like me the first time), you can't see any difference (no "relief" effect), delete your doomconfig.cfg (yes you'll have to re-enter your sikkmod settings, so write them somewhere first ^^)

Ok now I'm off...exhausting day....need to sleep...

@ Valken: it's with the texture packs (but WITHOUT HQmainmenu mod, I need to edit it), but I had to delete my doomconfig.cfg file for the desired "relief" effect to appear (I don't know why), so these screenshots were taken using default sikkmod settings.

Last edited by NiukNiuk; 09-04-2011 at 20:59.

Old
  (#14)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 290
Processor: i5-4590
Mainboard: GA-Z97X GAMING 3
Memory: 8GB HyperX
Soundcard: Onboard Realtek ALC1150
PSU: Silent Pro M700
Default 09-04-2011, 21:08 | posts: 3,107

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter View Post
hehe i have a few extra questions

the last Steep Parallax looks the best imo
THIS looks best to you?

You're a blindo. Last Steep parallax is worst - by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter View Post
tnx
Don't mention it

Old
  (#15)
TheHunter
Banned

Default 09-04-2011, 21:32 | posts: 13,425 | Location: √╥²

lol maybe for you, but i don't like it overdone like by POM screenshot or to little by others..

Old
  (#16)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Default 09-04-2011, 21:40 | posts: 3,107

Yup, both POM and Relief created stuff that was nowhere near in original pic.

I took parallax with offset limiting

Old
  (#17)
EL1TE
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 09-04-2011, 21:42 | posts: 193

Quote:
ok cool idea El1te..
lets merge these 2 threads together, hehe..
The first one was mine doh.And i would update it if i would knew theres a new version out..But sadly i didnt..lol
Clearly you have never been a moderator, threads can be merged. But good to know you admit you didn't knew there was a new version out.

Anyway i've updated the main post as you asked.

Old
  (#18)
BetA
Ancient Guru

Default 09-04-2011, 21:50 | posts: 3,808 | Location: outside the Box...

erm..i am not a moderator here..so i cant merge them anyway. i guess...if i can i didnt know...
im just a normal Guru3d user..like u..

Thanks for editing ur thread..
i also edited my thread and put links to here..

Greetz Beta

Old
  (#19)
TheHunter
Banned

Default 09-04-2011, 21:51 | posts: 13,425 | Location: √╥²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisiv View Post
Yup, both POM and Relief created stuff that was nowhere near in original pic.

I took parallax with offset limiting

now that i checked again i noticed this jittered (overlapped) mapping on the wall on the left side by steep parallax

I guess i'll pick something else.

Old
  (#20)
EL1TE
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 09-04-2011, 22:47 | posts: 193

Quote:
erm..i am not a moderator here..so i cant merge them anyway. i guess...if i can i didnt know...
im just a normal Guru3d user..like u..

Thanks for editing ur thread..
i also edited my thread and put links to here..

Greetz Beta
I was just saying that threads can be merged, mods can do it. I wasn't asking you to do it, i know how to distinguish normal users from mods, smods, admins, staff etc

Anyway, OT.

That parallax looks really weird, are you guys sure isn't there any value that causes that? Have you tried a non-custom config?

Old
  (#21)
TheHunter
Banned

Default 09-04-2011, 22:53 | posts: 13,425 | Location: √╥²

^
i cut the screen from those comparison screens above, i didn't try it yet im just collecting the data atm

Old
  (#22)
Noisiv
Ancient Guru

Default 09-04-2011, 22:55 | posts: 3,107

--------------------------------------

------NOAA-------------------16xAA(16xS)----------------8xMS+8xTrSS------------4xMS+4xTrSS+RGB-------4xMS+4xTrSS+FXAA---------4xMS+4xTrSS-----

SOMETIMES DEAD IS BETTER
I mean less!

16xAA is an ingame AA which is identical to 16xS in NV inspector.
RBG is Sikkmod's Color settings edge AA, FXAA likewise

FXAA forced through NV Inspector, can't be combined with MS.
MS(multisampling AA) and TrSS(transparency SSAA) were both driver forced.

Old
  (#23)
Sikkpin

Videocard:
Processor:
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU:
Default 09-05-2011, 02:32 | posts: 3

For those of you getting a completely black screen when using one of the parallax shaders, download this small patch that contains the proper working shaders.

Cheers.

Old
  (#24)
BetA
Ancient Guru

Default 09-05-2011, 02:37 | posts: 3,808 | Location: outside the Box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkpin View Post
For those of you getting a completely black screen when using one of the parallax shaders, download this small patch that contains the proper working shaders.

Cheers.

THX sikkpin..
and welcome to Guru3D

Keep up that amazing work..U really did great. i LOVE ur MODD !!

greetz BetA

Last edited by BetA; 09-05-2011 at 02:40.

Old
  (#25)
Valken
Master Guru

Soundcard:
Default 09-05-2011, 06:59 | posts: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikkpin View Post

Cheers.
Thanks and welcome to GURU3D!