Is Gur3D ever going to expand?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by IcE, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I was looking at Tomshardware today and it struck me, their site is utterly massive compared to our own G3D. They have dozens of writers, dozens of articles, and are just a massive hub of computer knowledge. In comparison, G3D is just...small. It almost seems like some backwater place on the net or something. Now I'm not saying Toms is superior at all, it's just they clearly found a way to expand to what they are now. Obviously they have more traffic, but I'm not sure what other factors went into play.

So is G3D ever going to get to that level of traffic and have that many reviewers and articles? Or is it purposely small because that's how Hilbert prefers it? It's not a big deal to me, but I am curious as to what will happen in the future with our beloved website.

2. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    Tom's expanded because it was bought by Best of Media, the quality of it's output dropped afterwards becoming less technical and more consumer electronics orientated. Recently it seems to be improving though.

Personally the only thing I would change with guru3d is the site's appearance, the content is excellent.

3. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Agree. With growth comes disassociation with the original goal.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Ah, I didn't know they have that quality of funding. And I agree that the content is top notch, no issues at all with it. I just wondered if we'll ever see that diverse content spectrum here offered at Toms and Anandtech.

5. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Something funny; I like that sometimes the english is flawed, that there are mistakes made. It shows an organic element, that they aren't just a machine churning out diluted drivel.

Good mother-effing job Hilbert and crew! You have my respect.:thumbup:

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Toms Hardware has sucked since it got bought out. As for the need of Guru3d to expand? expand into what though? its pretty much gfx oriented which is why its pretty much the only site i use, the only expansion gfx wise could be into tablets but then you'd have to have reviews every second day and just be another engadget

7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Whatever happened to that guy that was going to do game reviews on here ?

8. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I agree, G3D caters to a niche' market, they aren't interested in jamming their hands down everyone's pants...

9. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    I would say the only thing I think Guru should expand into is PC game reviews. Simply because it goes directly hand in hand with video cards.

10. stut85

stut85 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850 1GB
    Guru3d certainly falls under the old cliche of quality over quantity ;) and I would much rather read one quality article a week or month than 20 pointless articles..

Guru3D has not sold it's soul (or asking us to sell ours) to intrusive ad or marketing corp's.

The Guru3d forums just rock - the forums are on the whole very well maintained and disinformation is promptly corrected. The core community on the forums have almost an unending knowledge on many tech related subjects and also give sound advice on non-tech sub's.

I guess what makes Guru'3d unique is that it's only agenda is to share the love of tech(others do but its just not the same)! :D

11. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
  12. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    A do see your point but for me I like the consistent look. There are many sites that changed their appearance and I stopped visiting. Guess I'm just not one for change :)

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    If I'm honest I only use the forums now. I will read articles but only if they take my fancy from the front page news section, so the design doesn't bother me, I like the site how it is, with the funny jokes and odd mistake, makes it real so to speak, can relate to it better.

14. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I happen to like Guru3Ds layout compared to Toms.

15. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    Naturally most of us don't mind it because we are the ones who have stuck around. The concern is that it's preventing guru3d from expanding by not attracting people.

Modernizing the site isn't just a matter of making it look different, it would also reduce the bandwidth load and hosting cost. Currently all the site's style information is embedded into the HTML. This should be moved to a CSS file which is more efficient and cached in the user's browser so that it doesn't need to be downloaded repeatedly on every page load. The index page HTML is 140KB alone, multiplied by the number of hits guru3D gets, it soon adds up.

16. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    Last I knew, Hilbert was looking for someone to clean up the code. Not sure of the current status.

17. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I echo this statement. :)

18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    if it ain`t broke.....

19. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

I should have added that I don't think he intended to change the look, just to clean up the code.:)

20. wubbles

wubbles Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX560Ti 1Ghz
    The problem is that it is broken, just not in an immediately noticeable way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.