Wow, EVGA *clap*

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Mkilbride, May 6, 2011.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    So they got my package a few hours ago.

I got a response email saying a replacement will be shipping in 3 days. Kinda confused though, I thought they'd be checking it over first, you know? Like to see if it was ****ed up?

I mean all my tech knowledge says it's probably screwed up, cause it caused nothing but issues, but I thought they had a technical team to look it over and determine if it was my fault or something?

It seems like right after they got it, they were able to determine right away it was broken...that's amazing. I mean nothing about the card looked wrong, and it worked...sometimes, occasionally screwed up.

I'm just really "Wowed" cause I thought it was going to be a couple days of talking about the card with them and what issues I had, and the things that had gone, wrong, but.

"Me: Ok, UPS says the package is delivered
    Evga: Ok, replacement will be sent in 2-3 days"

I expected a lengthy, drawn out process, you know? I'm glad at their swiftness in this process. I hope I receive a good replacement...they didn't tell me what I'd be getting.

I'm actually excited now that my GTX280 screwed up, scary at first because I had no idea WHAT lol, was wrong, but now that my GPU is busted, I'll get an upgraded card since the 280 has been LONG out of production, the last guy got a 470 for his 280!

That's DX11 + performance improvements. According to some sites, up to 50% improvements. I will certainly buy EVGA again if this is all it took, they didn't give me the run around. Their product simply failed, and they simply replaced it...how unusual in this world, a warranty that works without tons of bull****.

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    evga has always been good about that. ive had a few of their cards in the past. never really had to use their rma service but have talked to others who have and they said turn around was pretty fast.

did they say what card they were sending you?

3. Lemonking

Lemonking Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 4090 OC
    yes EVGA has the best warranty imho

4. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    No, they didn't say what card, though I am asking them now in the question box.

The newer cards consume less power, generate less heat, and make less noise than my 280...so..that's just awesome.

Anything really above the GTX280 will be better. Heck, a GTX460 is a tiny bit faster than my 280 and has DX11 + all the good features, so really, they can't go wrong sending me anything.

It'll be an upgrade, and most importantly, NOT BROKEN lol.

Seems I spoke to soon...sigh.

Why send me an email that a replacement will be shipping if you haven't checked it yet...

Also, they still have GTX280's? But the last guy who send in 280, almost a year ago that is, got a 470 replacement.

Well, guess that's just my luck then, I got over-excited and started hoping the card was broke so I could get a better one. Really tripped over myself here.

Last edited: May 7, 2011

5. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    If they send you a gtx 280/285 you can bet that it won't be new... And of course they plan on sending you the same model, that's always planned:p but can they find a suitable gtx 280 that will perform as brand new? i have my doubts but you never know...

Anyway i wish you GOOD LUCK so they will send you a Fermi GPU :) keep us posted what GPU they'll send you, Im dying of curiosity :)

6. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah!

It's just I've heard a guy returned his 8800 and got a GTX260 before...

My GTX280 was issued in mid 2008. It's 2011 now...I just thought they wouldn't have any.

But as long as I get a fixed 280, I guess that's all I really CAN ask for, you know? Even a refurb'ed would work, unlike mine, which doesn't...so it'd still be an improvement.

I just went getting excited because of another guy who had his 280 break down, EVGA sent him a 470...so I started making wild assumptions. Not EVGA's fault really, just my over-zealousness.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i bet you get a 285 or better.

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Nope, they told me they have certified GTX280's...

So unfair, I hear all these stories about people getting a better card than they sent in for RMA, but for me, they just happen to have spares sitting around, lol.

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    thats ok they have software volt control so blow it up and try again lol j/k.

10. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Lol, I OC my computer, my GPU, ect, all that, but one thing I will never touch is GPU Voltage.

With a CPU, you mess the settings up, it reboots into default. I hear you can fry a GPU easily by messing with the Voltage.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    If you get a 470 you'll love it, EVGA built them like tanks "back in the day". Lol original Fermi had such a short run, it's kinda cool owning one just because of how solidly constructed they were due to the heat issues.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Not usually if you stay with the tools EVGA provides. They actually had a separate utility to overvolt the GTX280 and it's all covered by warranty...
    Guess It will still be a little while before my original 720mhz consecutive serial number GTX285 FTW's...uh.... breakdown...J/K

13. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I wish I could get a 470!

http://www.hwcompare.com/8658/geforce-gtx-280-vs-geforce-gtx-470/

Calculated statistics show that the 470 is 49% faster than my 280, even if I'm bottle-necked, I'm sure it'd still be alot faster, + DX11. The 470 also takes 10% less power.

Really, just anything, even a 460 would be nice, you know! I'm just annoyed at the idea I'm going to get a used model, because let's be honest, GTX280 was in June 2008...production was stopped in favor of the GTX275 / 285, so how could they possibly have any new ones, more than two years after production stopped? Also consider a guy a year ago got a 470! So a year ago they didn't, and now they do? Clearly they didn't uncover a few boxes full of them in the mean time.

I just don't want to get it back, plug it in, then 2 months from now(When Warranty goes out) it breaks down...with my luck that is what will happen.

14. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    remember tho mkill its not as clear cut as that, your psu will need a beefing up for sure if you get anything over 465 spec, those bfg's were good but not good enough for fermi.

15. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    No, it's actually pretty clear cut^

My GTX280 VS a 460:

http://www.hwcompare.com/8271/geforce-gtx-280-vs-geforce-gtx-460-1gb/

9% faster, not much, but 48% less power draw.

A 470, even:

Requires 10% less also. Not by much, but if I could run a GTX280, then it seems a 460, 470, or anything that isn't dual GPU in the 4xx and 5xx line takes less power.

The only thing that would draw more, that is single GPU, is a 480, not like they'd send me one of those, though. Even a 570 would draw less, lol.

If got a 560, it'd be way more even:

So yeah, I'm fine power wise as long as it's not a 480, 580, or dual GPU.

Last edited: May 7, 2011

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ask what you will be sent.
    If its not a newer card, see if they will accept a small payment for an upgrade.
    You never know, there might be a good deal in this for you.

17. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I did ask. They told me it will be a GTX280 re-certified, what can I do?

Bitch to them about it? I dunno if I wanna do that...it's not like they have any obligation to...and I'd feel kinda bad if I did that.

Also, the "Step Up" program is only 90 days...I've had this since June 2009, lol..to far gone for that.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ask if you can pay for an upgrade.
    Its not that hard ;)

19. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I would, if I had any money at all. Any upgrade would surely cost a very pretty penny that I can't afford.

Really, at this point, I'm resigned to the fact I'm going to get the card back, but you know, a working one, I was fine with it before, and can be fine with it now, just got me all excited after hearing a guy got a 470 for his 280 RMA, had my mind racing, I shouldn't have filled my head with such ideas.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Good luck, fingers crossed they accidentally send you something nice :)