Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Videocards > Videocards - NVIDIA Drivers Section
Videocards - NVIDIA Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything ForceWare driver related. ForceWare (Detonator) drivers are for NVIDIA TNT, Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

View Poll Results: Do you use vsync?
If yes why? 192 62.14%
If No why? 117 37.86%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Old
  (#51)
stefik
Master Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 6950@6970 2GB
Processor: Core i5 760 @ 4.2 GHz
Mainboard: DFI LanParty DK P55 T3eH9
Memory: OCZ Reaper 2x2GB 1600 MHz
Soundcard: Xonar D2/SW-HF 6000/HD555
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
Default 03-06-2011, 15:20 | posts: 179 | Location: Poland

Never. Just becouse I don't like it.

Old
  (#52)
Infinity7_00
Banned

Videocard: NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
Processor: Intel Core i7 975@4.22GHz
Mainboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 6gb Corsair tri-chan DDR3
Soundcard: Soundblaster Titanium
PSU: PC Power&Cooling 750 watt
Default 03-06-2011, 15:37 | posts: 578 | Location: USA west coast

I never have vsync on. In Quake engine multiplayer shooter games the game engine calculates how many packets to upload to the server based on your fps that are happening at that moment. This is described at this URL:
http://bashandslash.com/index.php?op...969&Itemid=106
To have a competitive edge I pay attention to that information and tweak accordingly. If player has tweaked game config file with com_maxfps 100 and cl_maxpackets 100 then his PC will always be sending 100 packets to the server at any given moment provided that his PC stays at 100 fps or greater the whole time. On the other hand if he has vsync on then he's capped at 60 fps (for most players, not those with 120Hz or 75Hz monitors) and he's consistently sending less than 60 packets to the server at any given moment.

Also when people first started using LCD monitors as opposed to CRT there were discussions about tearing and people reviewing the monitors were saying that Samsung monitors that used the TN technology had little or no tearing. I've always used Samsung LCD monitors or TV mostly. I'm on a Samsung LED TV now. I suspect that most of you who use vsync to stop the tearing are not using Samsung monitors or TV's or don't have a real high-end PC. Real powerful CPU's push data to the GPU's faster.

Anyway, I don't want everybody to have vsync off like me cuz some of you will be on the opposing team against me in shooter games and if you're on the other team I'll be hoping that you have vsync on.
:-)

Old
  (#53)
bliss007
Banned

Videocard: Asus GTX 580
Processor: Intel Q9650 @ 4.0GHZ
Mainboard: Asus Maximus II Formula
Memory: 8GB Corsair Dominator C5
Soundcard: X-FI Fatal1ty Pro
PSU: Enermax Infiniti 720 watt
Default 03-06-2011, 15:44 | posts: 1,587 | Location: Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Hahaha, so you haven't used Triple Buffering still!.

Because, using Triple Buffering <not render Ahead frames> eliminates the input lag generated onscreen using only-Vsync option.

Edit -

I also think Triple Buffering with Crossfire has some issues..

He is CORRECT you sir are wrong !

TB adds to input lag, more noticeable on MP games !

Old
  (#54)
fellix
Member Guru

Videocard: Palit GeForce GTX 570
Processor: Intel Core i7-920
Mainboard: Foxconn BloodRAGE GTI
Memory: 3*2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL7
Soundcard:
PSU: CHIEFTEC 850W
Default 03-06-2011, 15:47 | posts: 73

Quote:
Vsync + Triple Buffering<not the stupid render ahead 3 frames> = GPU renders 100 frames, there are 2 back buffers(memory footprint increases), where the latest frames from those 2 back buffers are sent to the front buffer and those 60 frames (+ containing the latest updated frames from the GPU) are outputted to the monitor
Small correction. The triple buffering adds a second front buffer, not back buffer. Then the GPU simply switches between the two front buffers when the data must be sent to the display.
And there is really no delay in introducing a third buffer in this case, because the GPU actually continues to render the pixel data into the same single back buffer, i.e. there's no extra work "ahead" that must be done. The two front buffers are there simply to serve as a display "cache" and the switching between them is seamless. Adding a second front buffer makes the frame-rate drop in the case of enabled V'sync more gradual, e.g. smooth, and not choppy.

Old
  (#55)
bliss007
Banned

Default 03-06-2011, 15:49 | posts: 1,587 | Location: Glasgow

There is a delay and if you go and read any good guide you would know that !

Enable TB and go online and you stand a far better chance of getting your a$$ kicked due to input lag !

I think "Tweakguides" explains it pretty good !

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html

Last edited by bliss007; 03-06-2011 at 15:53.

Old
  (#56)
RIPROCK

Videocard: 2 x 580GTX SLI
Processor: i7 920 (oc 3.8Ghz)
Mainboard: ASROCK x58 extreme
Memory: 6 Gig
Soundcard: Xonar DX
PSU: Hiper Type R II 880w
Default 03-06-2011, 16:18 | posts: 17 | Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykozis View Post
I enable vsync if, and only IF, screen tearing occurs.

@Raiga...please stop posting... or at least do some actual research first. And what's this "excessive gpu usage"??? There's no such thing as "excessive GPU usage".. GPU's are designed to be able to run safely at full load for extended periods of time. Every time I read one of your posts, I feel this need to beat my head against a wall.

wow...try buying a decent monitor...

"as long as your game runs with FPS more than your refresh rate, the tearing always occurs" <---more BS....

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html is a very good read and explains a lot.

Also on the subject of tearing,yes it occurs ALWAYS when you dont have vsync on.This is irrespective of the frame rate being greater or smaller than your monitor refresh rate.The reason for this is in the name...VERTICAL SYNC,when you dont sync to monitor refresh the game will display frames as fast as it can render them so instead of a steady stream of frames going at 1/60th of a second you get for instance a frame that renders quicker(say 1/100th of a second)the result of the this is one element of the new frame showing whilst also having the previous frame still present thus producing the tearing effect.

Now if we drop below the 1/60th to say 1/40th of a second the previous frame remains in view and will not be synced so that the next frame again partially shows itself.NOW WHETHER ITS VIEWABLE or not depends on a whole heap of factors.For instance some of the frames will just by virtue of there being so many of them line up perfectly with monitor refresh and not show any obvious tearing,and at other times every other frame will miss the refresh cycle and show up blatanly.This happens on crt AND lcd.Tearing is most noticeable when moving across the horizontal plane on straight vertical objects like lamposts,building edges etc.All the above is based on a 60hz monitor of course.

Speaking of 60hz monitors several people(well 1 at least ) have mentioned that they use vysnc to stay at 60fps because they can`t tell the difference when it goes to 120,180,400 etc.I`m convinced this is why some people don`t believe that a 120hz monitor is smoother because they witness games running at 120 fps or higher on there 60 hz displays and can`t see it running any smoother and so conclude that anything above 60 is a waste.I`m pretty sure what they don`t understand is that fraps is telling them the rate the GRAPHICS card is pumping out......it`s NOT the amount of frames you are seeing however.Your STILL seeing only 60 fps despite fraps telling you that you have 120....60 is ALL you will see vsync on or off.It`s like watching all those youtube vids that are running at 30 fps,doesnt matter if the game thats being recorded is running at 300 fps....your still only seeing 30.

I have a 120 hz lcd screen and can tell from experience that running with vsync and tripplebuffering on leads to almost zero PERCEPTIBLE lag (there is of course some lag ) due to you not having to wait more than 1/120th of a second for new input to display.Playing at 60 fps on a 60 hz screen i must admit i used to feel quite a bit of lag with vsync and TP on,i always remember doom 3 being particularly bad on the title screen,the mouse felt VERY floaty.

Anywho,vsync and tp on for me is my vote,more than ANY image quality issue tearing is by far the worst for me.I can cope with aliasing,but a torn image when the game is doing a smooth pan snaps me out of the moment more than any other thing.Now for quake style fast action online shooters i can see the point in turning it off aswell as some eyecandy to maintain best possible frame rates.But for single player games offline Vsync and tp make games look so much smoother..... especially at 120hz/fps

Old
  (#57)
bliss007
Banned

Default 03-06-2011, 16:36 | posts: 1,587 | Location: Glasgow

1) Tearing "CAN" occur not "WILL" occur, I think I would know if it was on my screen !

2) Your at 120hz so input lag will be less than peeps on 60HZ, common sense !

3) I am on a Sony FW900 (better than any LCD) so get zero lag and do not need mess with 3rd party App's to get things working.

Please do not talk for others, only time I have seen tearing in the flesh in on 60HZ (and the older 4:3 75/85HZ) LCD's.

If my perception was poor and I could not see my screen tearing I would be happy to game on a LCD but as I like rich colours and white whites and black blacks I game on the FW900 !

Last edited by bliss007; 03-06-2011 at 16:40.

Old
  (#58)
RIPROCK

Default 03-06-2011, 16:42 | posts: 17 | Location: Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss007 View Post
1) Tearing "CAN" occur not "WILL occur, I think I would know if it was on my screen !

2) Your at 120hz so input lag will be less than peeps on 60HZ, common sense !

3) I am on a Sony FW900 (better than any LCD) so get zero lag and do not need mess with 3rd party App's to get things working.

Please do not talk for others, only time I have seen tearing in the flesh in on 60HZ (and the older 4:3 75/85HZ) LCD's
No your wrong i`m afraid.Tearing is always there when not vsynced.It`s "common sense" thats it`s less noticeable on mine and your screen because of higher refresh rates but it is there to greater or lesser degree`s.Think about it,if your card is ready to show a "frame" and your monitor is part way thru displaying the previous frame without the the restriction of vsync it`s going to attempt to display it.

Old
  (#59)
bliss007
Banned

Default 03-06-2011, 16:49 | posts: 1,587 | Location: Glasgow

You think I am called Stevie Wonder and would not see tearing , I have seen tearing in the flesh so know what it looks like ?

CRT is less susceptible to it even at same HZ as LCD IMO.

If you read guides you will see the wording is something along the lines of :

"Tearing can occur", not "Tearing will occur" !

Again I think Tweakguides talks of it.

Old
  (#60)
dnottis
Master Guru

Videocard: Zotac GTX 680 1310/7000
Processor: i7 2600k @ 4.7ghz 1.35v
Mainboard: Asus P8P67
Memory: 16GB G.Skill RipJaws 1600
Soundcard: X-FI Titanium PCI-e
PSU: Coolermaster 1100
Default 03-06-2011, 16:56 | posts: 670

Bought a 120hz LCD and never have to worry about vsync again, ever.

Old
  (#61)
Anarion
Ancient Guru

Videocard: MSI GeForce GTX 970
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Memory: G.SKILL RipjawsX 16 GB
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Zx + HD 595
PSU: SF Golden Green Pro 600W
Default 03-06-2011, 16:59 | posts: 10,898 | Location: Finland

I always use v-sync + tb and I use 71Hz for my display.

Old
  (#62)
RIPROCK

Default 03-06-2011, 17:02 | posts: 17 | Location: Manchester

Quote:
You think I am called Stevie Wonder and would not see tearing , I have seen tearing in the flesh so know what it looks like ?

CRT is less susceptible to it even at same HZ as LCD IMO.

If you read guides you will see the wording is something along the lines of :

"Tearing can occur", not "Tearing will occur" !

Again I think Tweakguides talks of it.
I was thinking more along the lines of ray charles ,but seriously i did say in my original post that there are factors that make is visable or not.Yes it does seem less noticeable on crt`s(even i remember that from my crt days)but that doesnt mean it`s not happening.The higher the refresh the more diminished the tearing effect,240hz monitors should be very nice if they ever appear .Every single monitor be it crt or lcd i`ve seen i`ve always seen tearing,sometimes you have to look carefully for it but other times it`s very visable.

Think of it like input lag.EVERYONE of us has input lag ( see this article for an explanation http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/1 )...the point at which it becomes noticeable is what we all difer on.....some people feel it more than others but there comes a point when it is so low it just can`t be felt.The same with tearing,there comes a point at which it`s just not as noticable....but that doesnt mean it`s not there.

Old
  (#63)
RIPROCK

Default 03-06-2011, 17:13 | posts: 17 | Location: Manchester

Also this page in the anandtech article is quite interesting regarding crt vs lcd input lag http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/6 .Yes the crt responds quicker but people may be surprsed at how close the LCD gets to it with vsync off...within 2 ms.And they suspect that may disappear if they were able to run the crt at the same res as the lcd,because of the frame rate advantage the crt was getting running at a lower res.Vsynced crt vs lcd was almost identical.

Old
  (#64)
Raiga
Maha Guru

Videocard: GPU
Processor: CPU
Mainboard: Chipset
Memory: RAM
Soundcard:
PSU: PSU
Default 03-06-2011, 17:19 | posts: 1,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellix View Post
Small correction. The triple buffering adds a second front buffer, not back buffer. Then the GPU simply switches between the two front buffers when the data must be sent to the display.
And there is really no delay in introducing a third buffer in this case, because the GPU actually continues to render the pixel data into the same single back buffer, i.e. there's no extra work "ahead" that must be done. The two front buffers are there simply to serve as a display "cache" and the switching between them is seamless. Adding a second front buffer makes the frame-rate drop in the case of enabled V'sync more gradual, e.g. smooth, and not choppy.
Major correction buddy,

You don't know whats a frontbuffer.

Also

"In triple buffering the program has two back buffers and can immediately start drawing in the one that is not involved in such copying. The third buffer, the front buffer, is read by the graphics card to display the image on the monitor"

Quote:
He is CORRECT you sir are wrong !

TB adds to input lag, more noticeable on MP games !
I accept, that its my mistake that I forgot to add that..use Triple Buffering in Single Player Games_offline games only**

As for MP games, I never use Vsync....played CS a lot, I know what happens with Vsync + what happens if you don't put fps_max, cl_updaterate, cl_cmdrate, rate all of them substantially high..with the server reflecting similar settings.

Quote:
@Raiga...please stop posting... or at least do some actual research first. And what's this "excessive gpu usage"??? There's no such thing as "excessive GPU usage".. GPU's are designed to be able to run safely at full load for extended periods of time. Every time I read one of your posts, I feel this need to beat my head against a wall.
When I meat "Excessive GPU USAGE", i meant GPU usage when your PC renders hundreds or thousands of FPS when you not actually in the game..like lets say... wait wait..I know one example..how about Starcraft 2.

Hmm how about inside a game, when you don't actually need 100% GPU usage all the time..hmm...how about Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands..hmm.!!

Quote:
wow...try buying a decent monitor...
Give me Money, give me money for a 120 hertz display..Not everyone has a 120 hertz display, not many can afford it, and in my timezone there is no 120 hertz display in any of the stores..

Quote:
"as long as your game runs with FPS more than your refresh rate, the tearing always occurs" <---more BS....
yes, can you PM me a video of game with more than 60 FPS..and fast camera moving Horizontally. Which doesn't have screen tearing..

Old
  (#65)
bliss007
Banned

Default 03-06-2011, 17:41 | posts: 1,587 | Location: Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPROCK View Post
Also this page in the anandtech article is quite interesting regarding crt vs lcd input lag http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/6 .Yes the crt responds quicker but people may be surprsed at how close the LCD gets to it with vsync off...within 2 ms.And they suspect that may disappear if they were able to run the crt at the same res as the lcd,because of the frame rate advantage the crt was getting running at a lower res.Vsynced crt vs lcd was almost identical.

There is no guidelines on how to measure a LCD, some Manu's use "Rise of the Pixel", others use "Fall of the pixel" others use a totally different method !

What this means is 1 Manu claiming to be 2ms can be the same as another Manu's claim of 20ms !

None are even comparable to the virtually no lag in a CRT, if you wanted to BS figures to compare with LCD it would be a very long negative number for the CRT's lag.

Old
  (#66)
buddyfriendo
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 480 SC
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 3.7GHz
Mainboard: ASUS P6T
Memory: Corsair DDR3 1600 6GB
Soundcard: Onboard -_-
PSU: Corsair TX750
Default 03-06-2011, 17:43 | posts: 3,419 | Location: New England - M@ss

Quote:
yes, can you PM me a video of game with more than 60 FPS..and fast camera moving Horizontally. Which doesn't have screen tearing..
Not everyone experiences screen tearing in every game, why can't you just accept that? I've had issues in the past with tearing in DODS with my 4870X2 that would come and go, it wasn't ALWAYS there. I'd format, using different drivers than before, load up the game with vsync off and not have a single issue, it rarely is a problem for me. Then again, on 3rd person games like Mafia II I just leave it on as input lag isn't an issue for me then. I don't care to force triple buffering as I'm not anal and really don't notice it all that often.

Your wrong, no ones perfect, get over it.

Last edited by buddyfriendo; 03-06-2011 at 17:50.

Old
  (#67)
GanjaStar
Master Guru

Videocard: POV gtx 660
Processor: Intel i5 4670K
Mainboard: GA-Z87-D3HP
Memory: 8gb Corsair Vengeance pro
Soundcard: x-fi extreme gamer
PSU: corsair tx 650w
Default 03-06-2011, 18:20 | posts: 551 | Location: Zagreb,Croatia

in single player games where immersion is key, i turn on tripple buffered v-sync.

in multiplayer titles never. in racing games never.

Old
  (#68)
fellix
Member Guru

Videocard: Palit GeForce GTX 570
Processor: Intel Core i7-920
Mainboard: Foxconn BloodRAGE GTI
Memory: 3*2GB G.Skill F3-12800CL7
Soundcard:
PSU: CHIEFTEC 850W
Default 03-06-2011, 18:30 | posts: 73

Quote:
Major correction buddy,

You don't know whats a frontbuffer.
Explain.

Old
  (#69)
chuuey
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI 660Ti Power Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930k
Mainboard: MSI X79MA-GD45
Memory: DDR3 / Kingston / 16GB
Soundcard: Accuphase DP-400
PSU: Seasonic X-660
Default 03-06-2011, 19:12 | posts: 203 | Location: Japan

using vsync and triple buffering - i hate tearing...

Old
  (#70)
pasanen

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC
Processor: 2500k@4.7GHz
Mainboard: Asus P8P67 Pro
Memory: G.Skill 1600 1.25v 8GB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX
PSU: Antec TruePower 850W
Default 03-06-2011, 19:19 | posts: 35 | Location: Suomifinland Prkl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVuqVW4rq-o

Why? I hate lag! I've set my max pre-rendered frames frames in forceware to 1, and never enable vsync. And sometimes, like with FNV, I force it off via drivers if nothing else helps.

Old
  (#71)
Xtreme1979
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 680 2GB O/C
Processor: 2600K 4.4-4.7gHZ 1.30v
Mainboard: MSI P67A-C43 B3
Memory: DDR3 Ripjaws Z 2133 4x4gb
Soundcard: X-Fi/Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold
Default 03-06-2011, 19:24 | posts: 1,256 | Location: Bay City, MI

Cause I hate how tearing reduces image quality, and induces a headache.

Old
  (#72)
DerSchniffles
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2xEvga GTX760 2gb SLI
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
Soundcard: Sony AVR/55" TV
PSU: Corsair 750
Default 03-06-2011, 20:00 | posts: 1,028 | Location: Washington

I have to use vsync...its wierd to me how some people dont even notice it. I notice it right away and makes a game unplayable tbh. vsync + tripple buff ftw

Old
  (#73)
Solfaur
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2xSLI MSI GTX680Lightning
Processor: i7 3770K| Corsair H100 pp
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
Memory: 2x4GB Kingston Black 2133
Soundcard: Realtek ALC898| Z-5500
PSU: Nexus RX-1.1K GOLD@1100W
Default 03-06-2011, 20:07 | posts: 4,457 | Location: Romania

Yes, although I used to never enable it before some months ago when I did some tests and noticed the improved image quality along with much smoother gameplay. There are some games that have a horrible mouse lag when it's enabled, in those cases I turn it off. But otherwise no way, even in competitive online games like BC2 for example it's allways on now.

Old
  (#74)
Saifz
Master Guru

Videocard: 460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
Processor: Athlon 2 x4 640 3.625GHz
Mainboard: Asus M4A87TD-EVO Am3
Memory: DDR3 1333 CL9 Gskill 2x2
Soundcard: VIA Onboard
PSU: HX-650 Corsair
Default 03-06-2011, 20:09 | posts: 491 | Location: Toronto Canada

i ahve tried putting pre rendered frames to 0 but it still doesn help with the input lag =/
using d3d overidder + vsync, cod4

Old
  (#75)
RIPROCK

Default 03-06-2011, 20:12 | posts: 17 | Location: Manchester

Quote:
There is no guidelines on how to measure a LCD, some Manu's use "Rise of the Pixel", others use "Fall of the pixel" others use a totally different method !

What this means is 1 Manu claiming to be 2ms can be the same as another Manu's claim of 20ms !

None are even comparable to the virtually no lag in a CRT, if you wanted to BS figures to compare with LCD it would be a very long negative number for the CRT's lag.
I`m not quoteing manu`s figures,im well aware off there somewhat suspect measureing methods ,i was merely quoteing the measured lag from the link to anadtech