Power supply problem and help buying a new one!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HonoredShadow, Feb 24, 2011.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    My cheap ass 650w power supply is dying under the weight of my new build. Just been waiting for the money which I now have.

This is my system in the sig but it may not be clear is that I want to add another gfx card to this system soon. Also I have 3 SATA HD's, DVD drive, an SSD and 5 fans!

I think I will need a 850 watt unless I stand corrected. I also know I need a decent brand. I have looked at the power supply FAQ but I am not that techie to know which one to buy. I will be buying off Amazon UK, Scan UK or Over clockers UK.

Thanks for any help. I am desperate to know which one I need as this power supply is dying and making weird noises. Also I have had some strange fails recently.

Would I need 2 x 12v lines to run 2 cards? Does that mean they will be dedicated to each gfx card? My 5850 (like most cards nowadays) has 2 x 4 pin power plugs. So I would need 4 of those for 2 cards.

Sy.

2. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
  3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    a 750w would probably be plenty if you plan to add another 5850.

ocz fatal1ty 750w, thermaltake toughpower xt 775w, corsair hx/tx750, antec, etc.

4. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Really? Even with 2 gfx cards and all the fans etc... Wow. Thought I would need more!

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    5850 draws 150w.

2x5850 = 300w.
    if your cpu is at stock clocks, it draws something like 95w?

thats just 395w all up at full load. add in 100w or so for HDDs, optical drives, fans, etc. and you still have plenty of breathing room for an overclock.

oh and you dont need two 12V rails to run two graphics cards. personally, i prefer a big single 12V rail as it allows more power to be drawn from each cable when youre overclocking.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3906595&postcount=35

In reply to above:

Yes according to hilbert the corsiar 750 in your sig (if you have already bought it) will be plenty, he recommends 650+ watts and 55-60 amps on the 12v rails, that psu meets that plus 10%. Also keep in mind that Hilbert 'recommends' that psu rating; meaning it allows for decent headroom for a high performance system + small upgrades.

Having said that, though, I would not recommend moving to a psu that close to hilbert's minimum if you have not yet bought a new psu, I would have said if buying now then be a little more future proof and go for something with more headroom such as the corsair tx850 (70 amps on 12v). On top of that the tx850 would only cost you an extra £10 and would be ideal for a long term purchase.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004O0P9...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B004O0P9XK

But to sum it up you should be ok with the corsair tx750 as long as you don't plan any major upgrades in the future above and beyond your current setup and a second Hd5850. A few extra fan's aren't going to make much difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2011
  7. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    The ONLY upgrade I'm doing now is the extra 5850 (which I have already mentioned) and buying 2 x 2tb SATA HD to replace the 3 SATA HD I have in here already so that will be better on the power supply again.

Thanks for your help.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

You're welcome.