Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > Frontpage news
Frontpage news Perhaps you have some news to report or want to check out the latest Guru3D headlines and comment ? Check it in here.

Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy
Old
  (#1)
Tat3
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX480 w/ 244T
Processor: i7 920 @ 4,4GHz | Water
Mainboard: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
Memory: 3*2Gb 8-8-8-20 @ 1680MHz
Soundcard: UA-55 -> 2*Genelec 8030B
PSU: Defo not modular (TX950W)
Default Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy - 02-11-2011, 13:17 | posts: 11,196 | Location: Finland

First phone is under development atm and Nokia will get some features to their phones which arent available to others.

Open Letter from CEO Stephen Elop, Nokia and CEO Steve Ballmer, Microsoft

Quote:
GLOBAL – Today in London, our two companies announced plans for a broad strategic partnership that combines the respective strengths of our companies and builds a new global mobile ecosystem. The partnership increases our scale, which will result in significant benefits for consumers, developers, mobile operators and businesses around the world. We both are incredibly excited about the journey we are on together.

While the specific details of the deal are being worked out, here’s a quick summary of what we are working towards:

• Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy, innovating on top of the platform in areas such as imaging, where Nokia is a market leader.

• Nokia will help drive and define the future of Windows Phone. Nokia will contribute its expertise on hardware design, language support, and help bring Windows Phone to a larger range of price points, market segments and geographies.

• Nokia and Microsoft will closely collaborate on development, joint marketing initiatives and a shared development roadmap to align on the future evolution of mobile products.

• Bing will power Nokia’s search services across Nokia devices and services, giving customers access to Bing’s next generation search capabilities. Microsoft adCenter will provide search advertising services on Nokia’s line of devices and services.

• Nokia Maps will be a core part of Microsoft’s mapping services. For example, Maps would be integrated with Microsoft’s Bing search engine and adCenter advertising platform to form a unique local search and advertising experience.

• Nokia’s extensive operator billing agreements will make it easier for consumers to purchase Nokia Windows Phone services in countries where credit-card use is low.

• Microsoft development tools will be used to create applications to run on Nokia Windows Phones, allowing developers to easily leverage the ecosystem’s global reach.

• Microsoft will continue to invest in the development of Windows Phone and cloud services so customers can do more with their phone, across their work and personal lives.

• Nokia’s content and application store will be integrated with Microsoft Marketplace for a more compelling consumer experience.

We each bring incredible assets to the table. Nokia’s history of innovation in the hardware space, global hardware scale, strong history of intellectual property creation and navigation assets are second to none. Microsoft is a leader in software and services; the company’s incredible expertise in platform creation forms the opportunity for its billions of customers and millions of partners to get more out of their devices.

Together, we have some of the world’s most admired brands, including Windows, Office, Bing, Xbox Live, NAVTEQ and Nokia. We also have a shared understanding of what it takes to build and sustain a mobile ecosystem, which includes the entire experience from the device to the software to the applications, services and the marketplace.

Today, the battle is moving from one of mobile devices to one of mobile ecosystems, and our strengths here are complementary. Ecosystems thrive when they reach scale, when they are fueled by energy and innovation and when they provide benefits and value to each person or company who participates. This is what we are creating; this is our vision; this is the work we are driving from this day forward.

There are other mobile ecosystems. We will disrupt them.

There will be challenges. We will overcome them.

Success requires speed. We will be swift.

Together, we see the opportunity, and we have the will, the resources and the drive to succeed.
Source: http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/...mer-microsoft/

BTW: My post count is now over 9000!

Old
  (#2)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Videocard: Radeon HD 7790
Processor: AMD 5800k
Mainboard: Biostar a85 hudson
Memory: 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
Soundcard: onboard
PSU: 550 watt psu
Default 02-11-2011, 13:40 | posts: 10,370 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Well Symbian is just about dead, Meego never had a chance honestly, but I wouldn't have gone with WP7. WP7 is a nice OS, don't get me wrong. But Android right now is what's selling.

Old
  (#3)
thecake90
Ancient Guru

Videocard: ATi HD3850 1GB/Nvidia 230
Processor: Intel C2D E6400/i7 720QM
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3/PM55
Memory: 2Gb DDR2 533/4Gb DDR3
Soundcard: Integrated Sound Card
PSU: 450W/ 19V 6.5A
Default 02-11-2011, 13:42 | posts: 4,065 | Location: Earth

Quote:
BTW: My post count is now over 9000!
Hmmm could this be a sign of thing to come considering you're Finnish yourself

I for one welcome this change, Nokia makes good hardware and WP7 looks promising~! I sure hope they won't abandon meegoo though I want another n900!

Old
  (#4)
Tat3
Ancient Guru

Default 02-11-2011, 14:52 | posts: 11,196 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbetts View Post
Well Symbian is just about dead, Meego never had a chance honestly, but I wouldn't have gone with WP7. WP7 is a nice OS, don't get me wrong. But Android right now is what's selling.
Going Adroid would have been giving up and there would be nothing which would stand up from other similar phones.

With Windows mobile, Nokia is the only company which can change the UI and modify about everything what they want, they got permission from MS to do that. So Nokia will stand up from other companies.

Old
  (#5)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 02-11-2011, 14:59 | posts: 10,370 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat3 View Post
Going Adroid would have been giving up and there would be nothing which would stand up from other similar phones.

With Windows mobile, Nokia is the only company which can change the UI and modify about everything what they want, they got permission from MS to do that. So Nokia will stand up from other companies.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/n...ndows-phone-7/

Plus, if Nokia wanted to then they could create their own ui replacement for Android, HTC did with Sense. Plus Android is so easy to customize on your own.

Last edited by vbetts; 02-11-2011 at 15:01.

Old
  (#6)
Doug
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HD 4870/GTX260
Processor: E6750 @ 3.3GHz
Mainboard: Gigabyte P35C-DS3R
Memory: 6GB OCZ Platinum 800Mhz
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Corsair HX620
Default 02-11-2011, 15:06 | posts: 4,945 | Location: UK

Good riddance to Symbian, my last Nokia was an N97 Mini and I thought it was great, then I got an Android...

Old
  (#7)
Musouka
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI 280X TF4S
Processor: Core i7 4770K
Mainboard: GA-Z87MX-D3H
Memory: Ballistic SX 32GB
Soundcard: Onboard
PSU: Gouriki C2 700W
Default 02-11-2011, 15:35 | posts: 305 | Location: Japan

Not surprising seeing how Stephen Elop, the new CEO, is an ex-Microsoftie

Also:

Quote:
Nokia did talk with Google about adopting Android but decided that it "would have difficulty differentiating within that ecosystem" and the "commoditization risk was very high -- prices, profits, everything being pushed down, value being moved out to Google which was concerning to us." Microsoft presented the best option for Nokia to resume the fight in the high end smarpthone segment.

Source: Engadget

Old
  (#8)
FaM
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA 2GB GTX 560
Processor: AMD FX-4100 Quad
Mainboard: ASRock 880GM-LE FX
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard: Onboard by choice
PSU: Antec 550w
Default 02-11-2011, 15:35 | posts: 1,663 | Location: Sylvania, OH

They did the only thing they could do to attempt to survive. They couldnt bring anything to the android table that doesnt already exist, their own OS suck, they cant use apples, and no one would ever want RIM....so the only open OS left that is a nice OS but no one cares is win7 mobile...so...if they can crank out some nice things they might just survive another year.

Old
  (#9)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X & 7950
Processor: 3770K & 2500K
Mainboard: GB Z77X-D3H / GB Z77-D3H
Memory: 16GB & 16GB G.Skill
Soundcard: Meridian 2G / xf-i fata
PSU: 1000W & 500W silverstone
Default 02-11-2011, 16:11 | posts: 3,768 | Location: Finland

they are keeping symbian for cheap phones, meego they will keep for other stuff and i believe in windows 7 phone thing. It looked really nice when i saw it in action.

this might mean nokia is back in business they are still second biggest after android lol wat tho supposedly in all phone market nokia still biggest and samsung second

Old
  (#10)
Mannerheim
Ancient Guru

Videocard: VTX3D R9 280x
Processor: AMD FX8150
Mainboard: Asus M5A99X Evo
Memory: Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: X-fi Xtreme Gamer 5.1
PSU: Chieftec 700W
Default 02-11-2011, 17:21 | posts: 4,563 | Location: Finland / Helsinki

So... No more nokia unless i get good used N900

Old
  (#11)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD 6870
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: Patriot 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600
Soundcard: Auzentech X-Raider 7.1
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
Default 02-11-2011, 17:29 | posts: 19,041 | Location: Toronto, Canada

And on this note, makes more reason to ditch Nokia for me. I don't like Windows Phone 7 one bit. Symbian was crappy, but I don't like Windows Phone 7 even more.

I had higher hopes with MeeGo or them going Android, I'd definitely buy a Nokia if they went Android.

deltatux

Old
  (#12)
Xendance
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Nvidia Geforce 570
Processor: Intel i7 2600k
Mainboard: Asus P8P67
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Soundcard: X-FI Platinum+7.1 system
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower
Default 02-11-2011, 17:30 | posts: 5,439 | Location: Funland aka Happycamp aka Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannerheim View Post
So... No more nokia unless i get good used N900
Why not? Everyone I know has said that the Windows phone OS is very solid. Only thing that is a bit lacking is the marketplace UI I heard. Also consider the amount of C# .net developers, the amount of apps for that platform will probably explode.

Old
  (#13)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 02-11-2011, 17:41 | posts: 19,041 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xendance View Post
Why not? Everyone I know has said that the Windows phone OS is very solid. Only thing that is a bit lacking is the marketplace UI I heard. Also consider the amount of C# .net developers, the amount of apps for that platform will probably explode.
I find the interface cluttered and Windows Phone is quite lackluster in terms of features and it's quite closed imo. Apple has the lead in terms of apps, and Android being open and having that much more devices makes it have that advantage.

Generally this is how most of the market looks like:
  • iPhone - those who love Apple products anyways or looking for a phone that's more like a toy
  • Blackberry - those in business or just have one because they think BBM is the next big thing since sliced bread
  • Android - highly favoured by geeks (myself included) and favoured as an iPhone alternative.
  • WebOS - not sure why HP didn't just ditch it for Android ... but still catered to those who likes Palm devices and is HP's answer into the fray of consumer electronics.
  • Windows Phone 7 - Microsoft's "me too" solution to the market, looks just like how it's a reaction to Apple's iPod when they did the Zune. Only really appeals to Microsoft fanboys.
  • Symbian - Nokia loyalists and for poor people who can't afford expensive phones
  • MeeGo - "are we there yet?"

Of course this is my opinion and is not necessarily hard facts but that's how the market seem to break down like.

Personally, people I know use these: Android (maybe 80%), iPhone (maybe 5%), Blackberries (10%) and Symbian (5%).

I don't know anyone who wants a Windows Phone 7 though.

deltatux

Last edited by deltatux; 02-11-2011 at 17:44.

Old
  (#14)
Mannerheim
Ancient Guru

Videocard: VTX3D R9 280x
Processor: AMD FX8150
Mainboard: Asus M5A99X Evo
Memory: Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: X-fi Xtreme Gamer 5.1
PSU: Chieftec 700W
Default 02-11-2011, 19:05 | posts: 4,563 | Location: Finland / Helsinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xendance View Post
I want Linux in my phone if possible.

Old
  (#15)
Seref
Maha Guru

Videocard: Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-X
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68-AP-D3
Memory: PNY 8GB DDR3 @ 1600mhz
Soundcard: Uhh...
PSU: Ultra 750W
Default 02-11-2011, 19:13 | posts: 1,622 | Location: Miami, FL

Currently the only thing about Windows mobile platforms that I like is the UI. For anything else, I find Android to just whoop it in functionality. Thankfully Android can be modified to have its UI look like pretty much anything, including other mobile platforms.

Old
  (#16)
vbetts
Don Vincenzo

Default 02-11-2011, 20:01 | posts: 10,370 | Location: Toledo Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannerheim View Post
I want Linux in my phone if possible.
I believe Ios is Unix based, and Android is Unix based. There are Ubuntu builds for the HD2.

Old
  (#17)
Exodite
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte 6950 2GB @ Stock
Processor: Intel i7 2600K @ 1.15V
Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro B3
Memory: 8GB Kingston PC10600
Soundcard: Realtek 892
PSU: Seasonic SS-460FL
Default 02-11-2011, 20:09 | posts: 1,652 | Location: Luleå, Sweden

I fear this may well be the death knell of Nokia in the smartphone space, as opposed to the solution.

While Symbian definitely needs a better UI, and browser, WP7 is functionally inferior to S^3 on an almost unimaginable level.

Right now I can use my gf's N8 to stream video from an attached USB stick and straight out to the big screen using HDMI. WP7 can't even do USB mass storage mode without dedicated Zune software.

Maybe I'm wrong and this unholy alliance will produce a true genesis of software but I can't see it.

It's certainly turned myself away from Nokia for the forseeable future.

Old
  (#18)
Anubis
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
Processor: Q6600@3.4Ghz - CM V8
Mainboard: Asus P5Q pro -modded bios
Memory: 8gb Corsair
Soundcard: -
PSU: LC-Power Metatron 8750II
Default 02-11-2011, 21:00 | posts: 2,803 | Location: ∞

Imho, this will be a fail for Nokia..
They should either go Android, or re-develop Symbian.
But still, with Android being open-source, which is currently the most selling OS on mobile devices, they would do alot better..

Old
  (#19)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 02-11-2011, 21:19 | posts: 19,041 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbetts View Post
I believe Ios is Unix based, and Android is Unix based. There are Ubuntu builds for the HD2.
iOS uses Darwin, which in itself uses a non-UNIX kernel, the UNIX part comes from its FreeBSD userland. So iOS is a hybrid-UNIX. Strangely enough, Apple was able to get Darwin UNIX certified only on Intel processors.

Android is Linux based and Linux is UNIX-like, it does not share, use or otherwise incorporate any UNIX code and is not UNIX certified.

deltatux

Old
  (#20)
randomizer
Maha Guru

Videocard: AMD Gigabyte 7870 2GB
Processor: I5 3570K
Mainboard: Asus P8z77-V LX
Memory: G.Skill Ares 16GB(8x2)
Soundcard:
PSU: Corsair HX650
Default 02-11-2011, 21:45 | posts: 812 | Location: Australia,melbourne

Nokia could of used palm os....

Man if nokia had Android, Ill so buy straight away.Sick of my ****ty motorola backflip.

Old
  (#21)
Tat3
Ancient Guru

Default 02-11-2011, 22:16 | posts: 11,196 | Location: Finland

About Symbian: The best performance, battery life and multithreading. Problem was Carbide C++ which was used for developing stuff, it just sucks. I think that they were going to go Qt all the way from next release and cut down dome backwards compatibility with older stuff. Honestly, it was looking damn good. I hope that I will see the revenge of Symbian.

Windows Mobile: Works very well with Windows based PC's, integration with those is just awesome. You can write stuff with C# to it... Some things are not yet working as well as those should, but looks good here. When those are fixed, what more would you possibly want from phone ?

RIM Stuff: Only people from USA and Canada buy that, elsewhere people know that there are better options out.

Android: Meh, whats the big deal ? Seen that stuff done better elsewhere.

Old
  (#22)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 02-11-2011, 22:19 | posts: 19,041 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat3 View Post
Android: Meh, whats the big deal ? Seen that stuff done better elsewhere.
Being able to root your phone, install software from anywhere, flash a custom firmware, sleeker interface, extensive use of proven open source projects, open model and it's open source by itself ... what's there not to like about Android?

deltatux

Old
  (#23)
Ryu5uzaku
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 290X & 7950
Processor: 3770K & 2500K
Mainboard: GB Z77X-D3H / GB Z77-D3H
Memory: 16GB & 16GB G.Skill
Soundcard: Meridian 2G / xf-i fata
PSU: 1000W & 500W silverstone
Default 02-11-2011, 22:22 | posts: 3,768 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
I find the interface cluttered and Windows Phone is quite lackluster in terms of features and it's quite closed imo. Apple has the lead in terms of apps, and Android being open and having that much more devices makes it have that advantage.

Generally this is how most of the market looks like:
  • iPhone - those who love Apple products anyways or looking for a phone that's more like a toy
  • Blackberry - those in business or just have one because they think BBM is the next big thing since sliced bread
  • Android - highly favoured by geeks (myself included) and favoured as an iPhone alternative.
  • WebOS - not sure why HP didn't just ditch it for Android ... but still catered to those who likes Palm devices and is HP's answer into the fray of consumer electronics.
  • Windows Phone 7 - Microsoft's "me too" solution to the market, looks just like how it's a reaction to Apple's iPod when they did the Zune. Only really appeals to Microsoft fanboys.
  • Symbian - Nokia loyalists and for poor people who can't afford expensive phones
  • MeeGo - "are we there yet?"

Of course this is my opinion and is not necessarily hard facts but that's how the market seem to break down like.

Personally, people I know use these: Android (maybe 80%), iPhone (maybe 5%), Blackberries (10%) and Symbian (5%).

I don't know anyone who wants a Windows Phone 7 though.

deltatux
oh oh i got Bada theres like only few million bada phones on the market (samsungs os) they are pushing it more now tho

Old
  (#24)
deltatux
Ancient Guru

Default 02-11-2011, 22:31 | posts: 19,041 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu5uzaku View Post
oh oh i got Bada theres like only few million bada phones on the market (samsungs os) they are pushing it more now tho
Oh yes, Bada ... weird that it's made by Qualcomm lol.

deltatux

Old
  (#25)
Tat3
Ancient Guru

Default 02-11-2011, 22:43 | posts: 11,196 | Location: Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatux View Post
Being able to root your phone, install software from anywhere, flash a custom firmware, sleeker interface, extensive use of proven open source projects, open model and it's open source by itself ... what's there not to like about Android?

deltatux
Aka unlock phone ? I dont care if I cant put custom loading screen to phone, I dont care if I cant modify phone so I would be unable to receive SMS's as example. Enough access to phones readings, sensors, etc are enough for developer.

Sleeker interface, some will disagree.

Proven open source projects ? I dont care if it's open or closed source as long as it works.

Whats not to like about Android, well, illegally using copy-writed stuff from Oracle.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...racle-problems

Tags
microsoft, nokia, phone, windows