Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > General Software and Applications
General Software and Applications Trouble with software/DirectX or other programs like Detonator Destroyer.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
How to set zoom level permanently to 125% in Explorer 8?
Old
  (#1)
bobesko
Member Guru
 
Videocard: 2x Sapphire 6790 1GB
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 4.5 ghz
Mainboard: Asus sabertooth P67
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: CorsairTX 650W
Default How to set zoom level permanently to 125% in Explorer 8? - 02-08-2011, 07:15 | posts: 130

Any advice?
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#2)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru
 
Darren Hodgson's Avatar
 
Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980 SC
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe v2103
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: XFX PRO Black Ed. 850W
Default 02-08-2011, 08:02 | posts: 12,132 | Location: England

View > Zoom > Custom > 125% works in the IE9 beta and is still at 125% when I close and reopen the browser. That should work in IE8 too.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
bobesko
Member Guru
 
Videocard: 2x Sapphire 6790 1GB
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 4.5 ghz
Mainboard: Asus sabertooth P67
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: CorsairTX 650W
Default 02-09-2011, 17:36 | posts: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hodgson View Post
View > Zoom > Custom > 125% works in the IE9 beta and is still at 125% when I close and reopen the browser. That should work in IE8 too.
Thanks, but after I restart the pc its on 100 again.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Watcher
Maha Guru
 
Watcher's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI 6850 OC CYCLONE 1 GB
Processor: Phenom IIX6 1090T@4.1ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB @1866
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default 02-10-2011, 03:19 | posts: 2,183 | Location: Canada

From this page:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...om-246925.html

All you need to do is add a value to the registry to have IE8 open at 125%:

I tried it and it works.

Open notepad and copy the following text:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Zoom]
"ZoomFactor"=dword:0001e848
Save it as " IE8 zoom 125.reg " no quotes, in a location that you will be able to navigate to at a later time. Make sure to save it with the file extension of " .reg "

Now with Window Vista and up, I find that the best way to apply the registry settings is to type in the search box in the start menu " regedit " which will show the result as " regedit.exe " Right click on the result and " run as an administrator "

Registry editor will now open. Then use the top " File " menu and then import the file from were you have saved the above file. Then close Registry editor after the import of the file is finished.

I find that if you double click or right click merge on a " .reg " file in Windows Vista and up, the file does not always enter the value into the registry. You can try and see if the double click or right click merge works for you.

If you would like to revert IE8 to open at 100%:

Open notepad and copy the following text:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Zoom]
"ZoomFactor"=dword:000186a0
Save it as " IE8 zoom 100.reg " no quotes, in a location that you will be able to navigate to at a later time. Make sure to save it with the file extension of " .reg "
   
Reply With Quote
 
Old
  (#5)
bobesko
Member Guru
 
Videocard: 2x Sapphire 6790 1GB
Processor: Intel i5 2500K 4.5 ghz
Mainboard: Asus sabertooth P67
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 Kingston
Soundcard:
PSU: CorsairTX 650W
Default 02-10-2011, 09:13 | posts: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
From this page:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...om-246925.html

All you need to do is add a value to the registry to have IE8 open at 125%:

I tried it and it works.

Open notepad and copy the following text:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Zoom]
"ZoomFactor"=dword:0001e848
Save it as " IE8 zoom 125.reg " no quotes, in a location that you will be able to navigate to at a later time. Make sure to save it with the file extension of " .reg "

Now with Window Vista and up, I find that the best way to apply the registry settings is to type in the search box in the start menu " regedit " which will show the result as " regedit.exe " Right click on the result and " run as an administrator "

Registry editor will now open. Then use the top " File " menu and then import the file from were you have saved the above file. Then close Registry editor after the import of the file is finished.

I find that if you double click or right click merge on a " .reg " file in Windows Vista and up, the file does not always enter the value into the registry. You can try and see if the double click or right click merge works for you.

If you would like to revert IE8 to open at 100%:

Open notepad and copy the following text:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Zoom]
"ZoomFactor"=dword:000186a0
Save it as " IE8 zoom 100.reg " no quotes, in a location that you will be able to navigate to at a later time. Make sure to save it with the file extension of " .reg "
Great answer, thanks. Works.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
Watcher
Maha Guru
 
Watcher's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI 6850 OC CYCLONE 1 GB
Processor: Phenom IIX6 1090T@4.1ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB @1866
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default 02-13-2011, 04:04 | posts: 2,183 | Location: Canada

Glad it worked.

Your welcome.
   
Reply With Quote
140% rather than 125
Old
  (#7)
billdiver47
Newbie
 
Videocard: ati radeon
Processor: intel core i5
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: mains
Default 140% rather than 125 - 02-14-2011, 12:17 | posts: 4

I would like to open as 140% rather than 125%. Could not figure out the numbers. My days of using hex are long gone. Could you possibly post the change for 140% please?
Also maybe it is just me but I cannot store file type .reg under Windows 7. Seen some posts but they were somewhat complicated. Is there an easy way?
Thanks
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Watcher
Maha Guru
 
Watcher's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI 6850 OC CYCLONE 1 GB
Processor: Phenom IIX6 1090T@4.1ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB @1866
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default 02-14-2011, 16:58 | posts: 2,183 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdiver47 View Post
I would like to open as 140% rather than 125%. Could not figure out the numbers. My days of using hex are long gone. Could you possibly post the change for 140% please?
Also maybe it is just me but I cannot store file type .reg under Windows 7. Seen some posts but they were somewhat complicated. Is there an easy way?
Thanks
Registry value required to open IE at 140%.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Zoom]
"ZoomFactor"=dword:000222E0
Open notepad. Paste above registry information. File and the Save As
IE8 zoom 140.reg

Make sure to use the " Save As " and not the " Save " option. When you use the " Save " option, you will save the file with the .txt extension. When you use the " Save As " option, you can rename the file with the .reg extension or any other extension you may want to.

Follow directions from above post to import the information into the registry.

Last edited by Watcher; 02-14-2011 at 17:02.
   
Reply With Quote
Open IE 8 at 140%
Old
  (#9)
billdiver47
Newbie
 
Videocard: ati radeon
Processor: intel core i5
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: mains
Default Open IE 8 at 140% - 02-15-2011, 17:08 | posts: 4

The good news is I managed to save the file as .reg. The bad news is regedit.exe failed.

After starting the import I got the following message:-
Confirm restore key. The key will be restored on top of key: Computer
All value entries and subkeys of this key will be deleted.
Do you want to continue the operation?

When I clicked yes (with a little trepidation), I got the following error message:-
Cannot import C:\ie8zoom140.reg
The key selected is invalid

Any ideas?
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
SS2vegeta
Master Guru
 
SS2vegeta's Avatar
 
Videocard: AMD ATI Radeon 2400XT
Processor: Intel Xeon X3430 4C
Mainboard: HP ML110 G6
Memory: 24GB DDR3-1333
Soundcard: N/A
PSU: 300W Non-redundant
Default 02-19-2011, 05:34 | posts: 194 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

you have to include "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" in the .reg file. This issue smells like you've left it out when you copied Watcher's code above
   
Reply With Quote
 
Almost there
Old
  (#11)
billdiver47
Newbie
 
Videocard: ati radeon
Processor: intel core i5
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: mains
Default Almost there - 02-21-2011, 12:10 | posts: 4

Thanks for that. Yes I did not copy the first line. Just did not seem you would need it. Sorry for the extra hassle. You have been very patient.
I have one problem left. I have used all three registry entries from the thread. They all work and open IE with different values from the default 100%. Only problem is they are not the values I was hoping for.
100% opens as 150%
125% opens as 188%
140% opens as 210%
I have a wide screen laptop set as 1920 x 1080.
IE text size is set at medium.
Either could you post the numbers to get 100, 125 and 140% with my screen, or could you tell me how to calculate the numbers to use and I can experiment till I get it right. Giving me the calculation used would be good as it would stop me bothering you.
Again sorry for the hassle.
   
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
Watcher
Maha Guru
 
Watcher's Avatar
 
Videocard: MSI 6850 OC CYCLONE 1 GB
Processor: Phenom IIX6 1090T@4.1ghz
Mainboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Memory: G.SKILL RIPJAWS 8GB @1866
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Default 02-21-2011, 16:31 | posts: 2,183 | Location: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdiver47 View Post
Thanks for that. Yes I did not copy the first line. Just did not seem you would need it. Sorry for the extra hassle. You have been very patient.
I have one problem left. I have used all three registry entries from the thread. They all work and open IE with different values from the default 100%. Only problem is they are not the values I was hoping for.
100% opens as 150%
125% opens as 188%
140% opens as 210%
I have a wide screen laptop set as 1920 x 1080.
IE text size is set at medium.
Either could you post the numbers to get 100, 125 and 140% with my screen, or could you tell me how to calculate the numbers to use and I can experiment till I get it right. Giving me the calculation used would be good as it would stop me bothering you.
Again sorry for the hassle.
Your far from being a hassle.

The zoom values given should work no matter what screen resolution you are using.

Lets try removing all entries for zoom level by using the following reg entry and see what value IE opens at?

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Zoom]
Follow the directions to import a registry entry from the above post.
   
Reply With Quote
Success with zoom
Old
  (#13)
billdiver47
Newbie
 
Videocard: ati radeon
Processor: intel core i5
Mainboard:
Memory:
Soundcard:
PSU: mains
Default Success with zoom - 02-22-2011, 12:17 | posts: 4

When using the latest code IE opens with whatever setting it closed with in the previous setting. I have two users on my machine and set them both differently. Closed down and re-opened and it retained the two different settings.
I have opened and closed and powered up and down several times and IE seems to always retain the previous setting.
I am happy with this arrangement.
Thanks for all your help.
   
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
Copyright (c) 1995-2014, All Rights Reserved. The Guru of 3D, the Hardware Guru, and 3D Guru are trademarks owned by Hilbert Hagedoorn.