AMD Catalyst Von modded

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Von Dach, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    NV560Ti @900/2394 ATI4890
    AMD Catalyst Von Modded (v7)
    for AMD Radeon HD 2xxx to 6xxx series

[​IMG]

It's now possible to mod yourself any driver you want (Windows Vista/7) with those settings if you apply this method:

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel\System and Security\System)> right-click Uninstall for every display adapters, ticking "Delete the Driver Software for this Device" also if available. Display device class should now be empty. We have to do that before uninstalling AMD Catalyst because under some configurations you may get a black screen when uninstalling it, screwing the uninstall procedure.
    2. Uninstall AMD Catalyst Suite from Control Panel. Don't Express Uninstall if you have an AMD chipset motherboard. Don't reboot when asked.
    3. Open Device Manager> right-click "Scan for hardware changes". Windows will reinstall his WDDM 1.1 default driver. Don't reboot if asked.
    4. Run Driver Sweeper v3.0.0 (or newer). Don't reboot if asked.
    5. Run "Von_Display_Driver_Keys_Cleaner.cmd"
    6. (Optional) It's a good moment to do a complete registry cleaning with various specialized applications like told in Complementary General Tweaks thread (see link below).
    7. Open Device Manager> Go to Display adapters> right-click Update Driver Software> Browse my computer for driver software> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer> Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. Repeat for all display adapters. All WDDM 1.1 drivers are now cleaned and Standard VGA settings are in registry.
    8. Reboot
    9. Install your new AMD Catalyst driver. Don't reboot even when asked.
    10. Run "AMD_Catalyst_Application Profiles_(CAP)_Von_Switcher.cmd". Install latest CAP or dummy. Don't reboot.
    11. Run "AMD_Catalyst_Von_Tweaks.cmd".
    12. Run "AMD_Catalyst_Von_Enhanced_Defaults.cmd" if you want enhanced quality settings by default.
    13. Reboot!

Notes
    • Be sure to run all this with an Administrator account and with UAC disabled.
    • Von Tweaks now only modify registry display class subkey 0000 because if you follow the above procedure you will have your master gpu card reseted to this default 2D driver path location like a brand new Windows installation. However if you have multiple graphic cards, your subkey might be 0001, 0002 or even 0003. Then you just have to try again with edited reg files keys, from 0000 to 0001/0002 or 0003, you can modify that yourself easily.
    • If at any moment Windows stay stuck at "Starting Windows" boot screen, don't panic, restart in Safe Mode, open Device Manager, uninstall all display adapters even if it's already "Standard VGA", tick "Delete the Driver Software for this Device" also if available. Then right-click "Scan for hardware changes". Reboot in Normal Mode, restart the procedure, that should fix it.
    • If a specific game doesn't work good, use included Catalyst Application Profiles (CAP) Switcher, try a dummy (0KB) CAP. Dummy CAP seem to improve image quality too, textures look shinier, crisper but may cost you some fps.
    • Master forums thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=332395
    • Complementary General Tweaks: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327922

Cheers! -Von Dach

Disclaimer
    Those tweak files are provided as is, they should work for most of us but can also create havoc in "unusual" users/systems. You take full responsibility for what may ensue and may not get back support from myself or the community if you mess up. Nothing is endorsed by AMD and the "AMD Catalyst" name is only used to point that specific software suite (driver) it intent to tweak.

Von Display Driver Keys Cleaner 1.1
    http://www.multiupload.com/6STJ74YINH

AMD Catalyst Application Profiles (CAP) Von Switcher 11.5 CAP1
    http://www.multiupload.com/DWOEYR6E50

AMD Catalyst Von Tweaks 1.7
    http://www.multiupload.com/NVR4GFXJZH

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Disable High Precision Event Timer (HPET) in BIOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Precision_Event_Timer
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=183329
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4592036
    My own result with DPC Latency Checker:

HPET 64-Bit ON: between 100-150us
    HPET OFF: between 5-15us

I loss 3-4 frames per second, single card and CFX with HPET OFF, but I know chance of stuttering decreased accordingly.

*Some motherboards have HPET enforced and it can't be disabled (Asus).

Maximize your Windows timer resolution
    http://www.lucashale.com/timerresolution/
    Just keeping this little application open in the background will reduce DPC latency, improve responsiveness. Good workaround particularly for those who are stuck with an enforced HPET On.

I tested this on my workstation dual core who is using a lot of CPU time constantly. HPET is off.

DPC Latency is ~650us at 0.977ms timer resolution (default with my apps running).
    DPC Latency is ~190us at 0.5ms timer resolution (maximized).

I now keep this app running constantly in the background, everything feel snappier.

On my gaming rig, HPET On (for this test purpose only):

DPC Latency is ~100us at 1ms timer resolution (default with DPC Latency Checker running, Windows default is normally 10ms)
    DPC Latency is ~10us with some peak at 100us at 0.5ms timer resolution (maximized)

Entering a game normally bring timer to 1ms but you can improve it even more with this application running in background to 0.5ms. Depending the game and your system you may feel better responsiveness and less stuttering.

Disable CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E), EIST (SpeedStep) & Cool'n'Quiet in BIOS

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) & EIST decrease overclocking reliability, create DPC latency spikes and hiccups in some circonstances.

Gigabyte motherboards note
    Depending on your model & BIOS, Intersil power controllers may be defaulted to intermediate hardware power management, creating high DPC latency under some circonstances. Only way I found to fix that was to install Gigabyte Dynamic Energy Saver, turn it On then Off. Now optimal performance, minimal power management are set (even if you reinstall Windows). You can uninstall DES or disable the associated service after this is done. This may apply to other mobo manufacturers using similar PWM controllers and softwares.

Remove AMD CCC.exe from automatic startup and/or kill process CCC.exe & MOM.exe before gaming (single card & CrossFireX)

CCC.exe can increase DPC latency, you can check that with Resplendence Tools & DPC Latency Checker. Shut down that bitch and her mother (MOM.exe), you will get some additional fps from it. The slower your computer the bigger the increase in responsiveness and stuttering reduction, dual core benefit the most.

Right-click taskbar> Start Task Manager > right-click CCC.exe> End Process> right-click MOM.exe> End Process.

Install AnVir Task Manager to easily untick CCC from startup. CCC can still be opened from right-click on desktop to change settings if needed, just kill the processes again after your changes.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  3. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    How to find you 2D Driver File Path & GPU Hardware ID

[​IMG]

How to tweak your card registry by editing the driver inf file

(Taking my 4850s CFX as example)

Unpack you new driver, cancel installation when Catalyst Installer start.

Navigate to the inf (default unpack location as example):
    C:\ATI\Support\11-2_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7 (for x86)
    C:\ATI\Support\11-2_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INf (for x64)

C7??????.inf for Win7
    CH??????.inf for Vista

Goto [ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1] section

[​IMG]

Locate the line corresponding to your Hardware ID, replace the ati2mtag_????? by the one you want to emulate (probably 6900 series one).

Save the modified inf and resume driver installation from C:\ATI\Support\11-2_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl\Setup.exe

Your card will still be detected correctly but registry keys and CCC settings will reflect the card model of your choice.

I'm emulating 6900 registry keys on my 4850 CFX right now with no issues so far (sure MLAA still don't work).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  4. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Reserved

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

5. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Bravo, you just ****ed my layout...:mad4:

Notebooks: just one gave me feedback about if the unified pack was installing correctly, so until I get enough feedback about that one, I won't release another one. Why would I, I don't know if this work or not.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  6. samappz

samappz Guest

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia 680M SLI
    sorry!!!!!!!, admin/mod pls delete my earlier post in this thread, btw the 10.10d mobility version worked great can't wait for your 10.10e mobility too.

7. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
  8. samappz

samappz Guest

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia 680M SLI
    I installed the unified pack v2.0 and 2.2, worked great for me (for mobility) after a clean uninstall of previous drivers, much better than official mobility drivers.

9. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok, I'll build a unified one then.

10. samappz

samappz Guest

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia 680M SLI
    Appreciate it Von, you are by far the best driver modder.

11. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Notebook part in Unified 2.1 could not have installed, I just saw a mistake I did that make auto install impossible.

I'll keep 10.10e desktop/notebook separated, it's simpler, next ones will be unified.

12. Bokule

Bokule New Member

GPU:
    ati 3650
    With 10.10d mobile mod I can play at work on my laptop smoothly JB bloodstone with all on high, average 35fps, with no issue, great work!!

13. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    I hope your boss don't know you write in here!

14. Bokule

Bokule New Member

GPU:
    ati 3650
    I am the boss :infinity:

15. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    outdated

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

16. samappz

samappz Guest

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia 680M SLI
    was ccc updated as well from 10.10d? Driver installed fine using device manager method with modded inf (mobility), but not any new ccc if it was updated from 10.10d.

17. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Not sure I understand yoiu. Have you tried to install from "ati_****-cleaner and installation v3.6.5.cmd"?

CCC doesn't install? even if you click setup.exe in "AMD Catalyst modded NoCAP"?

18. samappz

samappz Guest

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia 680M SLI
    actually i didn't clean 10.10d, just updated over it, but a new ccc (control center) did not update from 10.10d version. It is version 2010.1030.6.41387. It says latest version is already installed in setup.exe for ccc, but not sure if i have the latest. What is your version for 10.10e?

19. Von Dach

Von Dach Master Guru

GPU:
    Well, I'd like that you install like tells in install.txt.

I don't know which version it is (I'm not on my gaming pc), but it's the one from 10.10e Desktop, all the sames files, just the INFs are different.

20. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    what about a Vista64 mod??:3eyes: