icons in download section

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chrwei, Jul 25, 2002.

1. chrwei

chrwei Guest

What exactly do the different icons in the download section stand for? I get that they are related to the user ratings, but what icon means what rating?

I think a legend is apropriate.

2. Andrew

Andrew Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX-970 4G
    :confused: what do you mean?
    give us a link if you have one

3. chrwei

chrwei Guest

can't give a URL, the site doesn't allow direct linkage to the frames and isn't smart enought to add the frames and keep the content that's being linked to. But this is another "issue" with the site.

Browse into Downloads, Videocard Drivers, NVIDIA detonator drivers. There are diffent smiley icons next to the different files. They are meaningless without knowing exaclty what "rating" levels they stand for. I've used paFileDB before and the icons are included but what they stand for is not standard. As it is, only the admin actully knows what they mean.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    They have no specific meaning. But if you see a happy smiley then rest assure it was a nice release

;)

5. chrwei

chrwei Guest

sure, but what if it's a [​IMG] then what?

does that mean it's a bad release or eye poping good?

abstract icons with no context need a legend.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That smiley looks surprised doesn't it ?

Again: They have no specific meaning. They are just smileys.

7. chrwei

chrwei Guest

*sigh*

then can I request to stick with things that are obvious or use none at all? you guys provide a great service, but you are confusing people by using meaningless icons. smily faces are great, sad faces make sence, an eye poping thing is confusing.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    4 million downloads and you are the only one comlaining about it. Think about that one for a while.

9. chrwei

chrwei Guest

In Meat SPace 1/10th of the people with a problem actually file a compaint.....I'm sure that number is greatly lower on the web and even lower in regaurds to free services. The last 20 people that I refered to your site asked me what those icons mean. Everyone I refer asks me, but no one asks you.

Think about that for a while.

I know I have no power to make you do anything, it's just a request. One that, as a software developer, I don't find unreasonable.

I would but a legend on my site because it makes it more user freindly. And yes, I have written, and host, and maintain serveral sites.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah well, request denied bro.

You can't win em all. It is just the structure of the file-script that does not allow a legend the way you like to see it. Besides that i don't see it as a problem.

Unfortionately we can't make everybody 100% happy.

11. chrwei

chrwei Guest

That's all you needed to say in the first place. I can respect no.

But you know, I I can't help wondering how many poeple would say something if there was a simple feedback form on the site. It's was actually quite the pain to bother to create this request .... you should instead be thanking me that I care enough to spend 15 minutes finding the feedback forum, creating an account, authing the account, logging in, and making the post.

I fully understand why no one has said anything before, you make it just hard enough to do so that no one bothers.

Oh, here's what some poeple said when I told them i was making this request:
    so you see my point?

12. TOKbt6

TOKbt6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 580 GTX
    Just thought I'd stick my oar in here . I have been downloading and using drivers for my graphics card , sound card , and mother board from this site for years now. I can safely say I have never got a bad driver off this site , so there is no need to look at the smilies . It you visit the site regularly you'll know there is always a news story about new drivers when they are released so you know if they are any good .

13. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

or rather than going through the hassle of signing up, you could just lurk in the dets section, (smilies there have a legend, and are obvious) the smilies are there, comments etc. are redundant.

14. chrwei

chrwei Guest

what's a "dets" section?

15. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone