Considering getting a tattoo

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by zoso_the_hippy, Sep 17, 2010.

1. zoso_the_hippy

zoso_the_hippy Master Guru

GPU:
    4 evga 3gb 580's liquid
  2. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    yeah...but its gonna look cooler when you get old

3. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I've got a couple of tattoos now. The best way to decide if you actually want it (and where) is decide on a design, a location, and think about it every day for a year. If you still are happy with that, then get it. I still want more... and yes it's addicting, haha.

Oh and with regards to price, make sure you get it done somewhere that has excellent artists. It may be a bit more expensive but it's worth it considering you're going to have that stuck on your body for the rest of your life (unless you get it removed which costs thousands of dollars probably).

4. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Tattoos look awful, i've got a friend who is covered in them. Now he's in his 30's he looks absolutely ridiculous. His entire arms and back / shoulders are covered - it just looks embarrassing

They look even worse on women though - nothing makes a women look cheaper than a tat.

Of course this is purely my own opinion, but once you've seen one cheesy bicep tattoo, you've seen them all. They don't look cool, they don't make you look unique, but they will make you look more ridiculous every year you get older!

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    good tattoos arent cheap and cheap tattoos arent good

6. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Here's one of mine:

[​IMG]

7. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Before you get a tattoo....Think about it.
    Then, think about it.
    After that think about it.
    Think about it some more.
    Then think about it.
    Might think about it too while your thinking about it.

Is it lame?
    Is it some cheap flash?
    Is it unique to you?
    How many other people have it?

My bat

Edit: I thought about this tattoo for years. It took a lot of research into the pic. It took the right person, place, and such. I then thought about it. So many times people get tattoos they regret based on the "urge" to get ink. Take the time to really think hard about the work you get for it will last you a lifetime. I only have one tattoo that I regret.....because I didn't think about it long enough.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  8. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Agreed. Terrible, terrible idea. Why someone would cover their entire back with a bat or their arm with a cheesy quote in Latin is far beyond anything I will ever understand, but then, it's none of my business what other people do to their bodies.

Am I being too frank? :D

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    You could henna or sharpie it on for a few weeks to see how you like it. I know it sounds stupid but it could work if you make a stencil... just to see how you like it being there.

10. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I am not offended. It's the same for any personal choice. We get them for our own personal reasons. For some, it is a way of self expression. For some it is a way to fit into a section of society. For some it is a tribal reference of ones standing within life itself. For others, it is a way of outwardly expressing a part of ones own self reference upon itself within the world. For my bat, it is rooted within the expression of what is ascribed by Navite Americans as my "totem animal"..or rather the animal reference to the extension of how one views themselves within the role/cycle/niché of life itself.

Just because a section of society may not agree with someones personal reasons of expressing themselves with body modification does not negate the reasons or the tattoos themselves. It only shows that each person is different. Acceptance that others in this world choose to express themselves within humanity by different means is the key to understanding both themselves and humanity en-whole. Anymore, it almost seems maverick to not have any tattoos what so ever.

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I don't have any problems with people getting them at all, as I said I have no business with other peoples personal choices. But I would say, and which has been said many times here already, that you should really think about it before doing it. It's kinda permanent. There's so many people who regret getting tattoos afterwards! And don't decide to get one whilst drunk.

12. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    And that is perfectly okay to see it as such. But it sounds like you are simply repeating the words of other people without any interjection of your own thoughts in your descriptions. I hear old ladies say the same thing. I hope you aren't an old lady.

For some people in society, we choose to express ourselves in a way that goes against the grain of what "normal" people view their roles in society as. We make our own rules for how we want people to see us instead of following a pre-conceived notion of what we are taught as "how we should be". I have tattoos to show you several things:

1, Pain does not affect me how it does you. I can take this huge amount of physical pain and still smile...you cannot. I am much more stronger than you and when it comes to defending what is mine, you will be of misfortune for stepping within my territory.

2, There are aspects of my existence that I am attuned to in the natural world. You watch National Geographic for your nature.

3, I belong to a section of society that is outside of what is considered "normal" and I create my own rules for living instead of following what other people dictate to me of how I should live my life.

4, Don't "F" with me. For if you do, you will be dealt with swiftly and brutally.

5, I like them.

The reference to "you" is targeted towards society itself. Not anyone specific.

13. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    (I have six tatoos over 10 years old)

When I got my first tattoo...I was like F-Yea!
    My second allowed me to show off the guns no matter if she was on my left or right.
    My 3rd and 4th gave me ghetto street cred (in my mind).
    My 5th was a dedication to a friend that died.
    My 6th could have bought me a very nice gaming pc.

Luckily, they can all be hidden easily, as my clients really don't want to hire an ex-pothead / gangsta wannabe/ hooligan.

Time will change every opinion you hold on the topic now. Guaranteed.

14. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Indeed, all of my work is easily hidden by my work clothes as I am a professional and when I knock on your door to do electrical work, you will be in the hands of a knowledgeable professional that is safe to have in your house. But, if I want you to see my work, then I'll dress accordingly like when I have my street clothes on. Amazing how people that have no ink just don't seem to understand or "get it". I have probably 60 hours of work on me. The bat is just as it was when it was new. Other things have been added to it and I have work on other parts of my body. But, when I am at work with my work clothes on, you'd never know I've even seen a tattoo machine. ;)

All of my work is done "custom" and no one else has the work that I have. They are done within the framework of being non-standard and nothing that anyone else has. They are unique only to me.

15. Andrés

Andrés Guest

It took me nearly 8 years until I found the right tattoo to express what I needed to express. In fact, I finally drew it on my own. But I let the idea of tattooing my body "ferment" for a veeeeeeeery long time, until I was really sure I wanted it and where I'd have it. Then I asked many people for advice and had it done by a famous artist to ensure it would be drawn perfectly. It cost me a few extra bucks, but in the end, it was a cheap amount for what it means. Just be sure you *really* want it and that it will fit you for the rest of your life. If you are OK with that, then go ahead! :thumbup:

16. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Definitely agree.. and I actually drew mine as well. Couldn't ever find anything that could portray what I wanted so in the end I just drew it by hand while on a vacation and then got it done when I came back in town.

Good on you for finally deciding to do it. Stings like a bitch! I got mine on the center of my back and gah it was rough!! :wanker:

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I've thought about it, like once. For about 5 sec. Will never get a tattoo.

Dont like them on girls either. Esp when your having sex with them (doggy style) and they've got it on their lower back.

18. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
  19. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I totally agree with that. I'm not against getting one myself, but it's gotta be something I want on me forever, and will always love. Yeah, still tattooless.

20. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    I have, say, 6. I drew and designed all of them. I said "...,say, 6" because I have 2 that cover all of my fore arms + 4 others. The 2 in question started as 2 small ones and I add to them. They now are actually 5 different tattoos each forearm but combined make 1 big on each.