Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General Chat > The Guru's Pub
The Guru's Pub Hang out with Guru3D's staff and other visitors, have a nice civilized chat, nothing hardware related though !

Considering getting a tattoo
Old
  (#1)
zoso_the_hippy
Maha Guru

Videocard: 4 evga 3gb 580's liquid
Processor: 990x on liquid
Mainboard: Evga 4 way sli classified
Memory: ocz blade 2133 6gb
Soundcard: bowers and wilkens 2 way
PSU: 1500w sliverstone
Default Considering getting a tattoo - 09-17-2010, 23:47 | posts: 920 | Location: Florida

Hey guys it's been a long time.how have every one been?I'm considering getting a tattoo around my right bicep i was going to get this symbol

http://media.photobucket.com/image/z.../4in1_Zoso.jpg

for a 3 inch one it will cost about 80-100 bucks is that a good price?

Old
  (#2)
bobdude
Maha Guru

Videocard: PS4
Processor: x86-64 AMD Jaguar 8 core
Mainboard: PS4
Memory: GDDR5 8GB
Soundcard: PS4
PSU: PS4
Default 09-18-2010, 00:02 | posts: 1,917 | Location: AZ

yeah...but its gonna look cooler when you get old

Old
  (#3)
anticitizen013
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x R9 280X CrossFire
Processor: Intel I5 4670k 4.7ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Z87-PLUS
Memory: 16GB GSKILL RIPJAW
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2X
PSU: Corsair TX850WM
Default 09-18-2010, 00:26 | posts: 3,477 | Location: Toronto, Canada

I've got a couple of tattoos now. The best way to decide if you actually want it (and where) is decide on a design, a location, and think about it every day for a year. If you still are happy with that, then get it. I still want more... and yes it's addicting, haha.

Oh and with regards to price, make sure you get it done somewhere that has excellent artists. It may be a bit more expensive but it's worth it considering you're going to have that stuck on your body for the rest of your life (unless you get it removed which costs thousands of dollars probably).

Old
  (#4)
sdamaged99
Maha Guru

Videocard: 295X2 XPSC Full block
Processor: i7 4960X @ 4.5 H20
Mainboard: Rampage Extreme IV
Memory: 32GB Samsung 2400mhz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar HDAV1.3
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Default 09-18-2010, 00:31 | posts: 1,948 | Location: Isle of Man

Tattoos look awful, i've got a friend who is covered in them. Now he's in his 30's he looks absolutely ridiculous. His entire arms and back / shoulders are covered - it just looks embarrassing

They look even worse on women though - nothing makes a women look cheaper than a tat.

Of course this is purely my own opinion, but once you've seen one cheesy bicep tattoo, you've seen them all. They don't look cool, they don't make you look unique, but they will make you look more ridiculous every year you get older!

Old
  (#5)
PhazeDelta1

Videocard: MSI 980 Gaming
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Mainboard: Asus Z97 Pro
Memory: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Phoebus
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
Default 09-18-2010, 00:43 | posts: 13,906 | Location: USA

good tattoos arent cheap and cheap tattoos arent good

Old
  (#6)
anticitizen013
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2x R9 280X CrossFire
Processor: Intel I5 4670k 4.7ghz
Mainboard: ASUS Z87-PLUS
Memory: 16GB GSKILL RIPJAW
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar D2X
PSU: Corsair TX850WM
Default 09-18-2010, 01:24 | posts: 3,477 | Location: Toronto, Canada

Here's one of mine:

Old
  (#7)
nvlddmkm
Banned

Videocard: EVGA GTX285
Processor: QX9650 @ 3.95
Mainboard: EVGA 790i SLI FTW
Memory: 4g Pat Vip.DDR3 2000@1.7
Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX/Klipsch
PSU: Zalman 850w
Default 09-18-2010, 02:40 | posts: 4,191 | Location: Indiana

Before you get a tattoo....Think about it.
Then, think about it.
After that think about it.
Think about it some more.
Then think about it.
Might think about it too while your thinking about it.

Is it lame?
Is it some cheap flash?
Is it unique to you?
How many other people have it?

My bat

Edit: I thought about this tattoo for years. It took a lot of research into the pic. It took the right person, place, and such. I then thought about it. So many times people get tattoos they regret based on the "urge" to get ink. Take the time to really think hard about the work you get for it will last you a lifetime. I only have one tattoo that I regret.....because I didn't think about it long enough.

Last edited by nvlddmkm; 09-18-2010 at 02:44.

Old
  (#8)
John
Don Salieri

Videocard: 4870X2 H²0 & Eizo SX2761W
Processor: Xeon W3520 @ 4,4GHz H²0
Mainboard: DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8
Memory: 12GB Corsair GT/Patriot
Soundcard: Yulong D100 & AKG K601
PSU: Tt Toughpower 1200W
Default 09-18-2010, 02:51 | posts: 16,754 | Location: Above the Arctic Circle, Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamaged99 View Post
Tattoos look awful
Agreed. Terrible, terrible idea. Why someone would cover their entire back with a bat or their arm with a cheesy quote in Latin is far beyond anything I will ever understand, but then, it's none of my business what other people do to their bodies.

Am I being too frank?

Old
  (#9)
scoter man1
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Evga GTX 570/Korean 1440p
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K
Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark1
Memory: GSkill Trident X 2x4GB
Soundcard: Onboard/Superlux HD660
PSU: XIGMATEK 750w
Default 09-18-2010, 02:56 | posts: 4,304 | Location: MI, USA

You could henna or sharpie it on for a few weeks to see how you like it. I know it sounds stupid but it could work if you make a stencil... just to see how you like it being there.

Old
  (#10)
nvlddmkm
Banned

Default 09-18-2010, 03:03 | posts: 4,191 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Agreed. Terrible, terrible idea. Why someone would cover their entire back with a bat or their arm with a cheesy quote in Latin is far beyond anything I will ever understand, but then, it's none of my business what other people do to their bodies.

Am I being too frank?
I am not offended. It's the same for any personal choice. We get them for our own personal reasons. For some, it is a way of self expression. For some it is a way to fit into a section of society. For some it is a tribal reference of ones standing within life itself. For others, it is a way of outwardly expressing a part of ones own self reference upon itself within the world. For my bat, it is rooted within the expression of what is ascribed by Navite Americans as my "totem animal"..or rather the animal reference to the extension of how one views themselves within the role/cycle/niché of life itself.

Just because a section of society may not agree with someones personal reasons of expressing themselves with body modification does not negate the reasons or the tattoos themselves. It only shows that each person is different. Acceptance that others in this world choose to express themselves within humanity by different means is the key to understanding both themselves and humanity en-whole. Anymore, it almost seems maverick to not have any tattoos what so ever.

Last edited by nvlddmkm; 09-18-2010 at 03:06.

Old
  (#11)
John
Don Salieri

Videocard: 4870X2 H²0 & Eizo SX2761W
Processor: Xeon W3520 @ 4,4GHz H²0
Mainboard: DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8
Memory: 12GB Corsair GT/Patriot
Soundcard: Yulong D100 & AKG K601
PSU: Tt Toughpower 1200W
Default 09-18-2010, 03:12 | posts: 16,754 | Location: Above the Arctic Circle, Norway

I don't have any problems with people getting them at all, as I said I have no business with other peoples personal choices. But I would say, and which has been said many times here already, that you should really think about it before doing it. It's kinda permanent. There's so many people who regret getting tattoos afterwards! And don't decide to get one whilst drunk.

Old
  (#12)
nvlddmkm
Banned

Default 09-18-2010, 03:15 | posts: 4,191 | Location: Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamaged99 View Post
Tattoos look awful, i've got a friend who is covered in them. Now he's in his 30's he looks absolutely ridiculous. His entire arms and back / shoulders are covered - it just looks embarrassing

They look even worse on women though - nothing makes a women look cheaper than a tat.

Of course this is purely my own opinion, but once you've seen one cheesy bicep tattoo, you've seen them all. They don't look cool, they don't make you look unique, but they will make you look more ridiculous every year you get older!
And that is perfectly okay to see it as such. But it sounds like you are simply repeating the words of other people without any interjection of your own thoughts in your descriptions. I hear old ladies say the same thing. I hope you aren't an old lady.

For some people in society, we choose to express ourselves in a way that goes against the grain of what "normal" people view their roles in society as. We make our own rules for how we want people to see us instead of following a pre-conceived notion of what we are taught as "how we should be". I have tattoos to show you several things:

1, Pain does not affect me how it does you. I can take this huge amount of physical pain and still smile...you cannot. I am much more stronger than you and when it comes to defending what is mine, you will be of misfortune for stepping within my territory.

2, There are aspects of my existence that I am attuned to in the natural world. You watch National Geographic for your nature.

3, I belong to a section of society that is outside of what is considered "normal" and I create my own rules for living instead of following what other people dictate to me of how I should live my life.

4, Don't "F" with me. For if you do, you will be dealt with swiftly and brutally.

5, I like them.

The reference to "you" is targeted towards society itself. Not anyone specific.

Last edited by nvlddmkm; 09-18-2010 at 03:36.

Old
  (#13)
must_kill_ati
Maha Guru

Videocard: Msi Gaming 780 Oc
Processor: I5 3570k @4.2
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
Soundcard: Xonar DSX
PSU: Corsair 850w
Default 09-18-2010, 03:26 | posts: 1,255 | Location: Iowa

(I have six tatoos over 10 years old)

When I got my first tattoo...I was like F-Yea!
My second allowed me to show off the guns no matter if she was on my left or right.
My 3rd and 4th gave me ghetto street cred (in my mind).
My 5th was a dedication to a friend that died.
My 6th could have bought me a very nice gaming pc.

Luckily, they can all be hidden easily, as my clients really don't want to hire an ex-pothead / gangsta wannabe/ hooligan.

Time will change every opinion you hold on the topic now. Guaranteed.

Old
  (#14)
nvlddmkm
Banned

Default 09-18-2010, 03:32 | posts: 4,191 | Location: Indiana

Indeed, all of my work is easily hidden by my work clothes as I am a professional and when I knock on your door to do electrical work, you will be in the hands of a knowledgeable professional that is safe to have in your house. But, if I want you to see my work, then I'll dress accordingly like when I have my street clothes on. Amazing how people that have no ink just don't seem to understand or "get it". I have probably 60 hours of work on me. The bat is just as it was when it was new. Other things have been added to it and I have work on other parts of my body. But, when I am at work with my work clothes on, you'd never know I've even seen a tattoo machine.

All of my work is done "custom" and no one else has the work that I have. They are done within the framework of being non-standard and nothing that anyone else has. They are unique only to me.

Last edited by nvlddmkm; 09-18-2010 at 03:48.

Old
  (#15)
Andrés
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
Processor: Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5E
Memory: 4x1Gb Kingston DDR2 667
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium
PSU: CM Silent Pro M700
Default 09-18-2010, 04:20 | posts: 4,536 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

It took me nearly 8 years until I found the right tattoo to express what I needed to express. In fact, I finally drew it on my own. But I let the idea of tattooing my body "ferment" for a veeeeeeeery long time, until I was really sure I wanted it and where I'd have it. Then I asked many people for advice and had it done by a famous artist to ensure it would be drawn perfectly. It cost me a few extra bucks, but in the end, it was a cheap amount for what it means. Just be sure you *really* want it and that it will fit you for the rest of your life. If you are OK with that, then go ahead!

Old
  (#16)
ScoobyDooby
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX970 G1 SLI & Qnix 27"
Processor: 2600K @ 4.6ghz w/ H100
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Memory: 8GB Viper Xtreme @ 1866
Soundcard: Focusrite Saffire LE FW
PSU: Corsair HX1050
Default 09-18-2010, 04:22 | posts: 5,830 | Location: BC, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés View Post
It took me nearly 8 years until I found the right tattoo to express what I needed to express. In fact, I finally drew it on my own. But I let the idea of tattooing my body "ferment" for a veeeeeeeery long time, until I was really sure I wanted it and where I'd have it. Then I asked many people for advice and had it done by a famous artist to ensure it would be drawn perfectly. It cost me a few extra bucks, but in the end, it was a cheap amount for what it means. Just be sure you *really* want it and that it will fit you for the rest of your life. If you are OK with that, then go ahead!
Definitely agree.. and I actually drew mine as well. Couldn't ever find anything that could portray what I wanted so in the end I just drew it by hand while on a vacation and then got it done when I came back in town.

Good on you for finally deciding to do it. Stings like a bitch! I got mine on the center of my back and gah it was rough!!

Old
  (#17)
alanm
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Asus Strix 970
Processor: i5-3570k
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB Zx
PSU: XFX Pro 750w
Default 09-18-2010, 04:24 | posts: 5,679

I've thought about it, like once. For about 5 sec. Will never get a tattoo.

Dont like them on girls either. Esp when your having sex with them (doggy style) and they've got it on their lower back.

Old
  (#18)
Estima8tor
Maha Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX 570
Processor: Core i7 920
Mainboard: Foxconn X58
Memory: 6GB CORSAIR XMS3 1600MHz
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU: CORSAIR GS 700w
Default 09-18-2010, 04:35 | posts: 2,575 | Location: Virginia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanm View Post
Esp when your having sex with them (doggy style) and they've got it on their lower back.

Tramp Stamps!

http://mag.rankmytattoos.com/top-twe...p-tattoos.html

Old
  (#19)
Dahzeal33
Maha Guru

Videocard: 2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
Processor: qx6700 B3 @ 3.2ghz, 1.37v
Mainboard: EVGA 680i SLI A1
Memory: 4x1g 800mhz Dominators
Soundcard: xfi gamer/5.1 Klipsch pro
PSU: 1200 watt
Default 09-18-2010, 04:37 | posts: 1,518 | Location: Southern US

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post

Am I being too frank?
I totally agree with that. I'm not against getting one myself, but it's gotta be something I want on me forever, and will always love. Yeah, still tattooless.

Old
  (#20)
Sprecker
Maha Guru

Videocard: Zotech 680 4g
Processor: i7 920 stock/water cooled
Mainboard: X58
Memory: 6gb DDR3
Soundcard: onboard & headphones, Aud
PSU: 850W
Default 09-18-2010, 04:43 | posts: 2,430 | Location: Ottawa, Canada

I have, say, 6. I drew and designed all of them. I said "...,say, 6" because I have 2 that cover all of my fore arms + 4 others. The 2 in question started as 2 small ones and I add to them. They now are actually 5 different tattoos each forearm but combined make 1 big on each.

Last edited by Sprecker; 09-18-2010 at 04:47.

Old
  (#21)
alanm
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Asus Strix 970
Processor: i5-3570k
Mainboard: Asrock Z77 Pro4
Memory: 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB Zx
PSU: XFX Pro 750w
Default 09-18-2010, 04:44 | posts: 5,679

The tattoos I like to hear about are the ones in their lovers names. And they break up soon after.

Old
  (#22)
FULMTL
Ancient Guru

Videocard: AOC 27"
Processor: Intel N2830 laptop :(
Mainboard: New build later
Memory: DEAD
Soundcard: ShureSRH940+ JDS Labs C5D
PSU: DEAD
Default 09-18-2010, 04:52 | posts: 6,735 | Location: Tokyo, Japan

Typically I say, if you have to ask someone else if you should get a tattoo, then dont because you dont know how to make your own decisions in your life.

If I really wanted a tattoo, I would go overseas and pay one of my favorite artists to do it even if he/she has never done it before haha. The price would be worth it then instead of having just any artist thats just good enough. Thats just me though, my **** has to look good. I've seen too many badly done tattoo's.

But you arent asking if you should get one, so thats ok. On prices however, I really dont know.

Last edited by FULMTL; 09-18-2010 at 04:55.

Old
  (#23)
JohnMaclane
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 8800GTS 640mb
Processor: E6400
Mainboard: Gigabyte P35
Memory: 4Gb Corsair 800mhz
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS
PSU: OCZ Modsteam 450watt
Default 09-18-2010, 04:56 | posts: 4,830 | Location: Malta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvlddmkm View Post
And that is perfectly okay to see it as such. But it sounds like you are simply repeating the words of other people without any interjection of your own thoughts in your descriptions. I hear old ladies say the same thing. I hope you aren't an old lady.

For some people in society, we choose to express ourselves in a way that goes against the grain of what "normal" people view their roles in society as. We make our own rules for how we want people to see us instead of following a pre-conceived notion of what we are taught as "how we should be". I have tattoos to show you several things:

1, Pain does not affect me how it does you. I can take this huge amount of physical pain and still smile...you cannot. I am much more stronger than you and when it comes to defending what is mine, you will be of misfortune for stepping within my territory.

2, There are aspects of my existence that I am attuned to in the natural world. You watch National Geographic for your nature.

3, I belong to a section of society that is outside of what is considered "normal" and I create my own rules for living instead of following what other people dictate to me of how I should live my life.

4, Don't "F" with me. For if you do, you will be dealt with swiftly and brutally.

5, I like them.

The reference to "you" is targeted towards society itself. Not anyone specific.
So wait you have that stuff written or you have symbols which you think mean that stuff?

Cuz if you wanted people to know that very interesting stuff just post it on fb, you dont need a permanent reminder printed in your skin.

I have nothing against tattoos inherently, I just personally think they are a waste of time and money, I do not see any logical reason as to why someone would need one.

just my 0.02c

Old
  (#24)
Andrés
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
Processor: Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
Mainboard: Asus P5E
Memory: 4x1Gb Kingston DDR2 667
Soundcard: X-Fi Titanium
PSU: CM Silent Pro M700
Default 09-18-2010, 05:14 | posts: 4,536 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMaclane View Post
I do not see any logical reason as to why someone would need one.
To me it means some things that I left behind and some that lie ahead of me. Sort of a permanent reminder. Some people don't need it, but me, I definitely needed to have it. It's like some sort of "scar". A nicely drawn one

Old
  (#25)
Palerider
Ancient Guru

Videocard: HIS X1950XTX
Processor: Intel E-6600 2.4Ghz@3.4GH
Mainboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Memory: 3x1Gb XMS c6400 DDR2/800
Soundcard: X-FI-XM/Creative Inspire
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower700
Default 09-18-2010, 05:17 | posts: 4,389 | Location: Toledo Ohio

I'm more in line with John's thinking, though I understand a lot of people do it for meaningful purposes.
I had a few "milestones" in my life, when I considered getting one.Earned black belt, fought in a war, birth of my daughter, etc.
To me, they were the biggest, most important things in my life.I never got inked though.I thought there was no reason a stranger needs to know these details about me, and obviously, those close to me already know.
I've grown into the man I am, and permanently marking myself only puts it on display-not makes me anyone I'm not already.

I vote no.