How To Properly Update your P55/X58 mobo under Windows 7 (Guide)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Year, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i think this is the right section.

anyway i just realized that despite running the Intel Chipset update in W7 (32bit and 64bit) this seem to update only the Sata controller and the USB host thing, in the "device manager" under "System Devices", anything with the "INTEL(R)" eg. the Pci-Express Root, Quickpath Interconnect etc still had a date of 2006 (Windows default) when infact should've been properly updated (2009/2010).

apparently the Intel Chipset installer is buggy, so here's the solution to update all your Intel devices properly, it's very simple and highly recommended .

GUIDE:

Download the latest Intel Chipset updater here: Click To Download

"set the executable compatibility mode to "Vista SP2" (this is important) and run the exe file with the "-Overall" line, now the installer will properly update all the intel chipset devices in your system."

eg. "allOS_9.1.2.1007_PV.exe -Overall"

(thanks to TSUNAMI231 for this info).

upon reboot you'll find all the Intel stuff under System Devices properly updated with a date 2009 or 2010 ;)

Updating your mobo devices may very well improve your Windows responsiveness and general system stability, reduce stuttering and hitches or even increase your gaming performance in some cases, depending on your system you might also gain nothing or worse lose performance, we all know that motherboards play a big role in all of these things so it's important almost crucial to configure it properly, if you don't like the update you can always revert back easily, it's recommended to at least give this a try.

if this is useful information and someone want to Sticky it, go ahead, i'm sure it would help all the users who never knew about this info. :)

here's a couple of images with properly updated devices (date 2009 and v 9.1.1.1022), before the update it was (date 2006 and v6.1.7600.16385) <----- the Microsoft default ones.

[​IMG]

quick path updated (QPI)
    [​IMG]

Edit: improved the guide. :book:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I ran the setup from the RAR, said 2 things were not upto date, USB and something else, installed them and there was only 1 thing in device manager that took the updated version, but maybe others end up with loads of things which arent updated.

Nice tip though, cheers

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    you don't have to run the Setup mate.

you have to open the Device Manager, go to System Devices, find anything called INTEL(R), click and update each on of them one by one . ;)

image guide lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    no i mean i ran setup cos i R lazy lol, took 2 updates then for the laugh updated everything in device manager manually and 1 of the devices wasnt updated by running the setup.exe

I dont have that QPI yoke you have a pic for, but maybe because mine is a Gigabyte mobo

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    oh ok i get it now :p

aye, as i said it's dependent on the rig so some things might get updated some won't, depends on the mobo i guess and the stuff that's available in Windows.

6. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, well its good you mentioned it, simply for the fact that one of my devices wasnt updated from the setup

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Cheers :cheers:

8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    haha beer time, always good :banana::banana::banana:

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    i knew about -overall, but not about the rest :nerd:

[​IMG]
    yea its same here all these are default win drivers, tnx im gonna try it now :)

edit: it looks like i have Intel 9.1.2.1007 allot newer hm, im gonna try with that pack

edit2: do i need to uninstall default windows driver? because nothing happens, it says its already up to date with default win driver:pc1:...

nvm :) i had to select ALL instead of win7 folder, now i got them updated, i did it with USB drivers too. :nerd:

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    lol see so you apparently needed the update.

btw 9.1.2.1007 must be a typo, probably you meant 9.1.1.1007 and those are older than the drivers i provided which ends with 1025 (latest on intel webiste). :p

btw i do not recommend uninstalling any of the INTEL stuff, just update, if you uninstall and its required by the system, its possible that you'll end up with a BSOD during W7 boot and you'll have to reinstall the OS, so only update, never uninstall.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    ;) no its not a typo check it out here

Intel INF installation 9.1.2.1007 1.19 MB 2010/04/29

anyway, i didn't see any boost its the same :D

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    lol gigabyte drivers, that explains it, maybe you won't see any difference because your drivers were already updated ones (2009-2010) :D

but people with the default W7 drivers (2006) surely will notice a boost in productivity.

also apparently the latest official intel drivers are 12/22/2009 - ver 9.​​1.​​1.​​1025

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=18494&lang=eng

so i'm guessing the gigabyte drivers are made especially for gigabyte mobos.

13. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Nope, latest drivers are the one that Hunter posted. They are beta.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=10884

14. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    excellent thank you.

i just updated, works fine, system is still nice and snappy, but running the setup didnt update the stuff under System Devices, i had to run Setup.exe -a (extract the files) and update one by one. :p

regardless updated chipset, are still a lot better than the 2006 stuff that comes with W7 that's for sure at least on my system, big difference in responsiveness.

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    No problem, you are welcome.
    And yes, it is true, the system works way better than with the stuff from microsoft.
    Just updated the PCI Express Ports, which was the only thing i had outdated.
    Nice guide!
    Although, the only thing i wasn't able to update was the "82801 PCI Bridge" Any suggestion?
    I just can't find it nor Windows can.

Thank you. :)

Edit:
    Also, here is a more "porper" link. No wait times, high download speed, etc
    The drivers are extracted of course, compressed to zip so anyone that just installed Windows and doesn't have installing anything else can extract it.
    This is the beta driver, but, just so you know, are beta only for this chip:

Target Chipset#: Jasper Forest

http://www.mediafire.com/?7ndo7zj9v0d014h

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    nah all were default windows7 aug 2006..

but yea most of the stuff for my mobo is around 2008-2009.. like pciX
    16x, before it was default win7 avg2006 now its intel 8.6.xx oct. 2008, etc..

btw did you update intel usb too, or just those marked in pic?

17. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Year, i think your boost might have come from the QPI driver update, gigabyte doesnt have that, tbh ive not tested games at all yet, but windows in general just seems the same as before, performance wise.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    intresting when I do this the manual way and point it to the drivers in the win 7 folder windows tells me the files are updated yet each and everyone one say 2006

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    after some searching I found this which worked way better and updated everything

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=7600

Suffice to say its a bug in the intel installer. Running the installer in compatibility mode Vista SP2 with the -overall it will install everything, which took allot longer then the usual 2 secs and actual install allot more then 1 thing

Running -overall with out Vista SP compatibility mode resulted in only 2 things being installed

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    yes the Pci Bridge and Firmware Hub won't be updated, that's normal. :)

yep the usb and sata drivers were also updated of course, but they were also updated when i ran the installer after reinstalling W7 a few month ago ,the only stuff not updated was the system devices stuff. (2006), the usb and sata however were correctly updated just by running the installer. :)

i think i get what you're saying, although i think most x58 mobos should automatically take full advantage of the i7 QPI regardless of it being listed under System Devices or not.... or maybe not lol not sure about it.

my boost is mainly in system responsiveness, eg. if i reboot the computer and right away at the desktop i try to launch Zoom Player to watch a video, often took 3 to 5 seconds to start and its been so since for many month now after updating the stuff under system devices even after a reboot the program loads instantly, also opening my computer now opens instantly too, before it was a little sluggish.

i'm sure its not the hdd becuase my sata drivers were updated back in march 2010 along with the usb, the only thing that wasn't updated was the stuff under system devices.

another positive thing are games that used to hitch, pause or skip a frame for a second they don't seem to do this anymore (Prince Of Persia forgotten sands is a prime example) used to happend when the camera was panning during cutscenes, surprisingly Resident Evil 5 gained 2fps which was unexpected, i'm guessing RE5 is very cpu/memory dependent and it's quite possible the update improved how the cpu and memory deal with each other which might also explain the improved W7 responsiveness. :p

i did a few memory tests and scores are exactly the same including the latencies apparently, still doesn't mean there isn't any improvement, sometimes benchmarks don't catch this low level stuff afaik.

not sure if its the QPI stuff i have under system devices but its quite possible. ;) or maybe its because i have an original intel mobo and the drivers interact differently than mobos built by Gigabyte, asus etc. god knows.

i restored my stuff back to the W7 defaults and tried what you said, i can confirm this is a bug in the installer, SP2 - overall updated everything and the good news it didn't add any "unknown devices".

the installer used to add the Unknown devices when run with the -Overall and without the Compatibility mode.

great find! now i won't have to update each device 1 by 1.