Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Operating Systems
Operating Systems Is Windows 2000, XP or Vista giving you a hard time ? Wanna try out Linux ?

Windows 7 bug when renaming icons on the desktop
Old
  (#1)
Darren Hodgson
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980 SC
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K
Mainboard: ASUS Z87 Deluxe v2103
Memory: 16GB Corsair Veng 1600MHz
Soundcard: SB X-Fi Titanium HD
PSU: XFX PRO Black Ed. 850W
Default Windows 7 bug when renaming icons on the desktop - 03-31-2010, 15:46 | posts: 12,130 | Location: England

Has anyone else come across this weird bug where if you rename an icon on the desktop it seems to disappear, forcing you to hit F5 to refresh the display and make it reappear?

Also I've noticed that folders with periods in their name sometimes appear curtailed, e.g. Paint.NET in the Program Files folder sometimes just reads Paint so there appears to be two folders with identical names (the other being Microsoft's own Paint). I've also seen folders name Orbit Downloader v1.8.3 read as Orbit Downloader v1.8. It's almost like Windows 7 is treated the period and the bit after it as an extension.

Anyone else come across these? Admittedly they're minor issues at worst but I never came across them in Vista or XP.

Old
  (#2)
PuddingWagon
Maha Guru

Videocard: Gigabyte GTX 670
Processor: Intel i5 3570k w/NH-U9B
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard:
PSU: Antec EA-650W
Default 03-31-2010, 16:55 | posts: 1,090 | Location: Perth, Australia

I haven't had to refresh after a rename on the desktop, but I did for libraries (on the RC, don't use them any more though). Epic thread on Windows forum about this here.

There was a similar post about the folder names on Steam forums here. No solution unfortunately. I've never seen this issue on my install.