Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 1 + Kombustor 1.02 (2010-3-29)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Garrett_Wu, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Hi All

We're happy to announce that we start Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta process, in this version we have early support of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470/480 along with other many exciting features.

Feel free to try it out and most importantly, give us some feedback.

Download:http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/MSIAfterburnerSetup160Beta1.rar

[Changelog] Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 1
    - Added initial NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 series graphics cards support
    - Added basic screen capture support by means of built-in screen capture engine of MSI On-Screen Display server. Now it is possible to assign the hotkey for capturing screenshots in BMP, PNG or JPG formats in DirectX applications and in BMP format on desktop or in OpenGL applications
    - Added hardware monitoring history logging support. Now MSI Afterburner is able to save history in native RivaTuner Hardware Monitoring Log file format. The log files captured with MSI Afterburner can be viewed in any text editor like Notepad or in graphics form in RivaTuner's HML file viewer (RivaTuner must be installed for viewing log files in graphics form)
    - Added new safety option allowing forcring constant voltage on some cards with voltage regulators supporting programmable dynamic voltage management (e.g. VT1165 or uP6266). New safety option may improve stability on some systems as well as provide power state independent voltage control on the systems with non-standard voltage control implementation
    - MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 3.7.0. New server gives you a lot of improvements including:
    - Stealth mode automatic disabling feature. Now the server is able to disable
    stealth mode automatically if incompatible application like FRAPS is active.
    You no longer need to disable stealth mode manually if you need to run the
    server simultaneously with FRAPS, but keep in mind that stealth technologies will not be active in this case
    - DirectX11 On-Screen Display and screen capture support
    - Screen capture support for DirectX10 and DirectX11 applications using
    multisampled antialiasing or non-standard frame buffer formats (e.g. sRGB)
    - Optional On-Screen Display 3D rendering mode. New mode uses 3D accelerated DirectX functions to emulate previously used 2D framebuffer access function and render 2D text. New rendering mode provides On-Screen Display support in DirectX10 and DirectX11 applications using multisampled antialiasing and can also drastically reduce OSD related performance hit on the systems with badly optimized 2D acceleration in display drivers
    - Now screenshot file extension is forcibly set to BMP if JPG or PNG screen capture is requested on desktop or in OpenGL application
    - Simplified On-Screen Display coordinate space settings. Rarely used desktop and window coordinate space modes have been merged into single framebuffer coordinate space mode
    - Now the server automatically selects framebuffer coordinate space instead
    of viewport coordinate space when viewport is not accessible (e.g. if pure Direct3D8 device is in use)
    - Improved application notification scheme during runtime profiles adjustment. Now runtime changes in OSD application profiles (e.g. OSD zoom ratio change on the fly) are reflected in affedted application almost immedaitely instead of approximately 1 second delay in the previos versions
    - Reduced runtime skin engine memory footprint due to dynamic skin storage
    unloading
    - Updated profiles list
    - Now MSI Afterburner distributive includes original 128x128 PNG application
    logo (stored in .\Graphics folder) for dockbar applications like RocketDock
    or ObjectDock
    - It is no longer necessary to close the application to save monitoring window
    attachment state
    - Added Ukrainian localization

[Changelog] Kombustor 1.02
    ! Change: Xtreme burning mode displays a warning message (high power draw can cause instability).
    ! Change: GPU indices inversion to match Afterburner indices.
    * Bugfix: in OpenGL 3 rendering, the instructions for use were wrong
    * Bugfix: in clocks display (core, memory and shader) for NVIDIA boards.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

A few important notes on initial GTX 400 series support:

- It is no longer possible to adjust core and shader clocks independently on GTX 400 series. Shader clock is the primary and the only controlable GPU clock for this NVIDIA GPU architecture, the rest parts of core are clocked @ half of shader clock (1/2 ratio is hardwired). So you will have only shader clock slider unlocked on GF100 GPUs, core clock slider is no longer available on these cards. That is by design and must be so.
    - It is no longet possible to downclock memory for 3D mode. So the minimum limit for memory clock matches with default 3D clock. It is also by design and must be so.
    - Currently available public GF100 drivers have open issue with fixed fan control mode on GTX 400 series: once you enable fixed fan control mode, it is impossible to switch fan control back to default automatic fan speed mode. Reboot is required to restore automatic fan control mode. NVIDA are aware about issue and the fix is already available in new drivers (not available to public yet). So keep it in mind and in meanwhile don't forget to reboot the system to resotre automatic fan control mode if you play with fixed fan control mode in any tool. Alternately, just enable Afterburner's software automatic fan speed mode. It will do the job instead of NV driver until the fix is available.
    - Voltage control for GTX 400 series in not implemented yet.

3. sikvdila

sikvdila Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X OC
    wow great news Unwinder thanks

i'll check it carefuly

4. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    nice one guys!!! cheers :)

5. elrazor

elrazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AorusMaster 3080
    Metro 2033 and Test Drive Unlimited (i checked only this ones) is have graphic glitches with 1.6.0 beta 1...

6. Unwinder

To have a glitches you have to do _something_ in the tool. So try to give more detailed description of your actions and issues.

7. skugpezz

skugpezz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury X Stock
    Works great, now I have display in BC2. Nice job :)

8. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    lovely job but the screen capture might be broken,at least for me it is.
    [​IMG]

9. Unwinder

Try different format for screen capture (BMP/PNG).

EDIT: Just checked BFBC2 screen capture to JPG in DX11. See zero issues. So I'm afraid I cannot help you, the problem is in your system.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  10. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    O.k.....:)

11. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    Hello, everyone, my 1st post here.. all the best.

I got the new 5870 Lightning and the new MSI Afterburner does not seem to be applying the proper voltage changes for the GPU. I was able to run 970MHz on stock voltage, however, changing , upping the voltage showed just the same 1,16V value. The slider was moving , but no changes were made...

AM I missing something here ?? One more time, hello everyone!!

12. Unwinder

BIOS issue, use search and flash the latest Lightning VGA BIOS to allow correct voltage adjustment for 3D power state. Alternately, just enable <Force constant voltage> safety option. This way you'll lose dynamic voltage control but get it working even with wrong BIOS defining wrong power state voltage mappinng.

13. famich

famich Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780TI SLI@1250
    Thanks a lot !! Where can I find the new BIOS? please ?
    I bought the card today , so I ve thought being new its got the latest BIOS...

14. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    In metro when i`m playing in DX10 AB is saying i`m running in 11 but other than that haven`t noticed any probs. good having the screen capture in this...

15. Unwinder

It is correct and must be so because Metro 2033 doesn't have pure DX10 renderer. It is using either DX11 (with full or reduced feature level called "DX10" in game settings) or DX9. There is no DX10 path at all. Due to this fact "DX10" mode in this game requires DX11 installation on Vista. And use search please, I've already explained it at least two times.

16. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Thats because it is running DX11 but using reduced features of DX10 or something unwinder said.

NVM ^^

17. Amlwaycooljr

Amlwaycooljr Guest

GPU:
    Asus ATI 5850 1024MB
    Thanks for all your hard work. After burner 1.6 is looking great. I've had no issues thus far with afterburner but I do have a small problem in kombustor. I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but post-processing isn't working for me, when I enable the option the program crashes. If it helps I'm running windows 7 64bit with 5850s crossfired.

Edit: The option seems to be working just fine in the single gpu version, the problem only seems to affect the multi-gpu version.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  18. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    This is awesome, the best just keep getting better. Thank you Unwinder.

Update

Tested and took screenshots from the following games with ZERO issues and without being required to do any adjustments:

(NVIDIA drivers are 197.25 beta)

Age of Empires 3
    Aliens vs Predator 2 (old DX8 title, works fine, screenshots labeled as desktop)
    Batman Arkham Asylum (DX9)
    Bioshock (DX10)
    Bioshock 2 (DX10)
    Dark Void (DX9)
    Dragon Age Origins (DX9)
    Far Cry 2 (DX10)
    Heroes of Newerth (DX9)
    Left 4 Dead 2 (DX9)
    Metro 2033 (DX10)
    Modern Warfare 2 (DX9)
    Nexuiz (OpenGL)
    Stalker Clear Sky (DX10)
    Starcraft 2 (DX9)
    Torchlight (probably DX9)
    Urban Terror (OpenGL)
    WH40K : Dawn of War 2 (DX10)

Only one minor issue with AB itself: Changing screenshot folder does not stick and reverts to default C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Screenshots folder.

19. Lory.hacker

Lory.hacker Member

GPU:
    hd4890
    for new beta, add based change Laguage Kombustor, My create traslation italien.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I installed MSI Afterburner v1.6.0 beta1 as an alternative to EVGA Precision and like it a lot, especially as it comes with the Kombustor tool and voltage tweaks. It also seems to detect DX11 and display that fact as part of the on-screen display whereas EVGA Precision doesn't from memory, only DX8/9/10 and OpenGL games.

However, I seem to have a problem with setting the screenshot folder manually as it keeps resetting back to C:\Public\Pictures\Screenshots no matter what I do (click OK, save profile, etc.). The weird thing is that it works perfectly fine in EVGA Precision v1.9.1. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?