Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > General > Games, Gaming & Game-demos
Games, Gaming & Game-demos You can talk about the latest games here and more ..

Crate Entertainment's - Grim Dawn
Old
  (#1)
FlawleZ
Ancient Guru

Videocard: Sapphire HD 7950 Boost
Processor: Phenom II 980BE @ 4.4Ghz
Mainboard: MSI GD70 790FX
Memory: 4GB OCZ Reaper DDR3 CL6
Soundcard: Realtek HD Audio
PSU: OCZ 850W Modular
Default Crate Entertainment's - Grim Dawn - 01-20-2010, 20:25 | posts: 4,246 | Location: San Antonio

Are you a Diablo or Titan Quest fan? Did you enjoy playing Torchlight, Hellgate London, etc? Well I have GREAT news for you! Crate Entertainment has been hard at work on their newest action RPG Grim Dawn, released exclusively for the PC! "Who is Crate Entertainment?" you might ask. Well, here's a little background information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.crateentertainment.com

Crate Entertainment is an independent development studio founded by the former design and art leads of Iron Lore Entertainment. Our mission is to continue developing original titles that feature deep, addictive gameplay and high production values.

Crate has acquired the rights to use Iron Lore's technology on all future projects; the same engine and toolset used to create Titan Quest. Crate is currently developing a new action-RPG but is still seeking additional funding to complete the project. This new game is set in a dark fictional world and will carry forward successful gameplay elements from Titan Quest while introducing many improvements and innovations.

Crate has also acquired the rights to two other original properties that were being developed at Iron Lore before the studio closed.

For more information about Crate Entertainment or for business inquiries, please contact us at: business@crateentertainment.com.
And now Let me shed a little more light on this exciting new game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.grimdawn.com

Introduction

Grim Dawn is an action role-playing game intended for digital distribution on the PC. It is being developed by veterans of Iron Lore entertainment, the makers of Titan Quest. Grim Dawn is being built with Crate's own improved version of the Iron Lore engine and toolset; the same technology used to create Titan Quest. As a spiritual successor, Grim Dawn will attempt to better perfect the magical formula of exploration, character advancement, and loot collection pioneered by Diablo.

Players will be thrust into the dark, war-torn world of Cairn where a once proud empire has been brought to ruin and the human race driven to the edge of extinction. Cairn has become ground zero of an eternal war between two otherworldly powers, one seeking to use human bodies as a resource, the other intent upon destroying the human race before that can happen. This cataclysmic war has not only decimated human civilization but is warping the very fabric of reality and, in its wake, giving life to new horrors.

For humankind it is the dawn of a grim new age where iron has replaced gold as currency and the importance of salt as a weapon makes it far too valuable to waste on food. Small enclaves of human survivors exist scattered throughout the world, holed up in hidden refuges. These humans have quietly watched the warring invaders destroy one another and have become wise to the strengths and vulnerabilities of their otherworldly foes. A few survivors have begun to exhibit strange new abilities after surviving possession or exposure to the warp. These unnatural powers are feared by some but give many new hope of launching a resistance to fight the "outsiders" and reclaim what's left of their world.

Feature List

Combine any of five distinct skill classes each with multiple skill trees in which to specialize. Advance your class mastery up to 75 levels to unlock dozens of powerful skills and synergistic modifiers. New classes will be periodically released through downloadable content.

Gameplay systems design for 200 levels of character progression, equipment, and enemies to fight makes for ridiculous amounts of replay value.

Connect with old friends or make new allies in glorious multiplayer. Specially balanced multiplayer encounters will put your teamwork to the ultimate challenge.

Collect blueprints that allow you to combine salvaged components into unique crafted items and then, later, use those basic crafted items with higher-tiered recipes to complete items of unprecedented badassness.

Camera rotation enhances the three-dimensionality of the world and gameplay while levels are still designed so that players are not forced to rotate the camera.

Refined loot system drops less junk items and ensures more consistent rewards from hero and boss monsters.

Satisfying enemy damage and death effects with an option to enable blood and gore.

The ability to spend money to reclaim skill and attribute points alleviates the fear and frustration of having to make early, uninformed decisions that could permanently nerf a character.

More features are in the works and will be announced as Grim Dawn nears release.
More Info:

http://www.grimdawn.com

http://www.crateentertainment.com

Old
  (#2)
Cyrosis
Maha Guru

Videocard: HD4000
Processor: Intel I5-3570K
Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
Memory: 8gb Samsung 30nm
Soundcard: TSC 6.5"F, 5.25"R/C, 10"S
PSU: Antec CP-850
Default 01-20-2010, 20:42 | posts: 1,560 | Location: US

Oh my! I am so happy to see the Iron Lore team back up and running. I was extremely frustrated when I heard they went under after releasing their first, and only game; Titan Quest. It was a great game, and still has a solid community today. They just never got a chance it seemed, so this is great news, thanks for the info.

Old
  (#3)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 290 Tri-X Vapor-X OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 01-20-2010, 21:04 | posts: 9,806 | Location: Sweden

Great, I liked Titan Quest and it's expansion (Replayed them via Steam with a unofficial patch a few months ago.) so this is very good news.

Old
  (#4)
metaltoiletry
Maha Guru

Videocard: XFX HD5870
Processor: i5 750
Mainboard: Asus P7P55D Pro
Memory: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333mhz
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Titanium
PSU: Corsair HX620
Default 01-20-2010, 21:14 | posts: 1,327 | Location: On a hill.

Sweet! I loved Iron Lore's Titan Quest, I am psyched!

Old
  (#5)
FlawleZ
Ancient Guru

Default 01-20-2010, 23:04 | posts: 4,246 | Location: San Antonio

For me, Titan Quest was one of the most underrated games of this past decade. Iron Lore simply delivered a Fantastic game with Titan Quest and Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, and I'm more than confident the team will deliver yet again.

Support Crate Entertainment!

Unlike Iron Lore was with TQ, Crate Entertainment is NOT privately funded or supported from a big name publisher, distributor, or organization. They have simply started from their own pocketbooks and budget. For those of you that enjoyed Titan Quest and appreciated what Iron Lore created as much as me, please do your part in showing support for this great team of devs. They now have an early Pre-Order setup so that you can reserve your copy of the game and show how much you support their new project and game Grim Dawn.

http://www.grimdawn.com/contribute.php

Old
  (#6)
peter_molyneux
Maha Guru

Videocard: Riva TNT2 16MB
Processor: Pentium II @ 233 Mhz
Mainboard:
Memory: 64mb RAM
Soundcard: Soundblaster AWE 64
PSU: Antec 200w
Default 01-20-2010, 23:47 | posts: 942 | Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Titan Quest had pretty standard Diablo-clone gameplay and was fun for a little while with friends over LAN.

Part of what made Diablo II great was Battle.net. Titan Quest failed because it didn't have a solid multiplayer component. Grim Dawn will fail twice as hard because it will be competing with Diablo III.

Old
  (#7)
scoutingwraith
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA 670 FTW/ Intel4400
Processor: i5-3570K 4.0/i7-4500U 2.4
Mainboard: ASRock Z77Ex4/Haswell-ULT
Memory: 16GB 1600 / 8GB 1600
Soundcard: Realtek HD / Realtek HD
PSU: Corsair HX750W / 9 Cell
Default 01-20-2010, 23:52 | posts: 9,449 | Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

I loved Titan Quest and its expansion. I think i actually might pre-order the game to support them.

Old
  (#8)
FlawleZ
Ancient Guru

Default 01-21-2010, 04:12 | posts: 4,246 | Location: San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_molyneux View Post
Titan Quest had pretty standard Diablo-clone gameplay and was fun for a little while with friends over LAN.

Part of what made Diablo II great was Battle.net. Titan Quest failed because it didn't have a solid multiplayer component. Grim Dawn will fail twice as hard because it will be competing with Diablo III.
How can you say that it will be competing with Diablo III? Diablo III may be competing with Grim Dawn II at Blizzard's current rate. Diablo III is still a VERY long time from release.

Old
  (#9)
Wanny
Ancient Guru

Videocard: GTX670 FTW
Processor: i7 3770k 4.5GHz H100i
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866mhz
Soundcard: Xonar DX w/ Z-5500
PSU: XFX PRO750W XXX
Default 01-21-2010, 04:24 | posts: 7,439 | Location: Canada, Quebec

OMG AWESOME! I can't count how many times I completed TQ and how many chars I made. Definetely my best 2nd Hack&Slash after D2.

Old
  (#10)
FULMTL
Ancient Guru

Videocard: AOC 27"
Processor: Intel N2830 laptop :(
Mainboard: New build later
Memory: DEAD
Soundcard: ShureSRH940+ JDS Labs C5D
PSU: DEAD
Default 01-21-2010, 05:26 | posts: 6,720 | Location: Portland, Oregon

Torchlight was pretty fun, but only singleplayer. DiabloIII you can just forget about. Ill be sure to watch out for this one.

Old
  (#11)
Dustpuppy
Ancient Guru

Videocard: integrated - fffffffuuuuu
Processor: i3-2120
Mainboard:
Memory: 6gb
Soundcard: Sennheiser HD 518's
PSU: I think it burns coal,PoS
Default 01-21-2010, 07:08 | posts: 4,149

there's room for more than one diablo style game every other year.

Old
  (#12)
volkov956
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 7970 HD GHZ
Processor: ES 4GHZ Six Core 12MB
Mainboard:
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600
Soundcard: SB XFI Elite Custom
PSU: 750 EPS
Default 01-21-2010, 07:18 | posts: 5,988 | Location: Канад

Digital Distrubution Title only no thanks sorry :/

Old
  (#13)
Solfaur
Ancient Guru

Videocard: 2xSLI MSI GTX680Lightning
Processor: i7 3770K| Corsair H100 pp
Mainboard: MSI Z77A-GD65
Memory: 2x4GB Kingston Black 2133
Soundcard: Realtek ALC898| Z-5500
PSU: Nexus RX-1.1K GOLD@1100W
Default 01-21-2010, 09:17 | posts: 4,489 | Location: Romania

This could be quite good, it depends on when they want to release it though but then again other than D3 I see no competition in hack and slash RPGs and the release for that one is 2011 at best.

Old
  (#14)
peter_molyneux
Maha Guru

Mainboard:
Default 01-22-2010, 08:44 | posts: 942 | Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawleZ View Post
How can you say that it will be competing with Diablo III? Diablo III may be competing with Grim Dawn II at Blizzard's current rate. Diablo III is still a VERY long time from release.
I wouldn't expect Grim Dawn anytime soon either unless they rush it out, in which case it will suck. They don't even have a screenshot up on their site and this is the first I've even heard of it.

As Diablo III gets nearer to release (supposed to be 2011), the media hype and advertising train will ramp up. Nobody will even know about Grim Dawn.

Even if it beats Diablo III out the door and has decent multiplayer, the game will die the day D3 is released. So yeah I'd say it does compete with Diablo.

Old
  (#15)
FlawleZ
Ancient Guru

Default 01-22-2010, 21:57 | posts: 4,246 | Location: San Antonio

Quote:
I wouldn't expect Grim Dawn anytime soon either unless they rush it out, in which case it will suck. They don't even have a screenshot up on their site and this is the first I've even heard of it.

As Diablo III gets nearer to release (supposed to be 2011), the media hype and advertising train will ramp up. Nobody will even know about Grim Dawn.

Even if it beats Diablo III out the door and has decent multiplayer, the game will die the day D3 is released. So yeah I'd say it does compete with Diablo.
Diablo III will not be 2011. Well, maybe christmas 2011. At the current rate, we will be LUCKY to see Starcraft 2 this year. Blizzard is a slow moving, yet intelligent giant. They won't release Diablo III anywhere NEAR the release time frame of Starcraft. They don't want the titles to compete with each other and they know to maximize the attention they will hype up both titles at seperate time frames.

Beyond Diablo III, Grim Dawn has its own fan base already. Everyone that loved Titan Quest and what Iron Lore created will support Crate Entertainment and Grim Dawn. They actively participate and listen to the community and that goes a long way. Something Blizzard would never do.

Old
  (#16)
scoutingwraith
Ancient Guru

Videocard: eVGA 670 FTW/ Intel4400
Processor: i5-3570K 4.0/i7-4500U 2.4
Mainboard: ASRock Z77Ex4/Haswell-ULT
Memory: 16GB 1600 / 8GB 1600
Soundcard: Realtek HD / Realtek HD
PSU: Corsair HX750W / 9 Cell
Default 01-22-2010, 22:42 | posts: 9,449 | Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Quote:
Diablo III will not be 2011. Well, maybe christmas 2011. At the current rate, we will be LUCKY to see Starcraft 2 this year. Blizzard is a slow moving, yet intelligent giant. They won't release Diablo III anywhere NEAR the release time frame of Starcraft. They don't want the titles to compete with each other and they know to maximize the attention they will hype up both titles at seperate time frames.

Beyond Diablo III, Grim Dawn has its own fan base already. Everyone that loved Titan Quest and what Iron Lore created will support Crate Entertainment and Grim Dawn. They actively participate and listen to the community and that goes a long way. Something Blizzard would never do.
It is true. I suspect that Blizzard will release Star Craft 2 first and then release Diablo III. And when i mean release Star Craft 2 i mean all 3 parts of it and then we will probably see Diablo III. Considering this is Blizzard we are talking about it is very possible that it might happen.

Old
  (#17)
peter_molyneux
Maha Guru

Mainboard:
Default 01-23-2010, 00:45 | posts: 942 | Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Quote:
Pure speculation.

Quote:
If Crate doesn't have the resources to create a service similar to Battle.net (and I doubt they do), Grim Dawn will fail just like Titan Quest did. Doesn't matter if they have a few Titan Quest fans sticking around.

Blizzard doesn't give a crap about their community, but they have the money to make a solid AAA title. Hopefully they still have the talent to make another great Diablo game.

Old
  (#18)
Cyrosis
Maha Guru

Default 01-23-2010, 10:23 | posts: 1,560 | Location: US

Quote:
I don't see why you would consider Titan Quest a failure? It had very positive reviews, an active community, and sold well enough to warrant an expansion. If you are trying to compare Iron Lore's first ever game to the sales and public success of one of the most popular PC franchises ever, I think you are a bit disillusioned to what kind of expectations Iron Lore probably had. On top of that, I don't see the games single player and LAN focus as an issue, just because Diablo is focused on multiplayer, doesn't mean every game of the genre has to be. Anyway, I don't think Titan Quest was the entire story of why Iron Lore shut down.

Last edited by Cyrosis; 01-23-2010 at 10:25.

Old
  (#19)
peter_molyneux
Maha Guru

Mainboard:
Default 01-23-2010, 20:25 | posts: 942 | Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrosis View Post
I don't see why you would consider Titan Quest a failure? It had very positive reviews, an active community, and sold well enough to warrant an expansion. If you are trying to compare Iron Lore's first ever game to the sales and public success of one of the most popular PC franchises ever, I think you are a bit disillusioned to what kind of expectations Iron Lore probably had. On top of that, I don't see the games single player and LAN focus as an issue, just because Diablo is focused on multiplayer, doesn't mean every game of the genre has to be. Anyway, I don't think Titan Quest was the entire story of why Iron Lore shut down.
Well clearly it wasn't much of a success if it led to Iron Lore closing down. I remember someone from Iron Lore making a forum post after the company shut down crying about how nobody bought the game.

Old
  (#20)
dchalf10
Banned

Videocard: GTX670 1293/6800
Processor: i7-870@3.84ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte 1156 UD3H
Memory: 4GB 1600CL8
Soundcard: Yamaha 7.2
PSU: Corsair HX-850
Default 01-24-2010, 01:03 | posts: 4,035

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkov956 View Post
Digital Distrubution Title only no thanks sorry :/
Same here, that's a shame

Old
  (#21)
FlawleZ
Ancient Guru

Default 01-24-2010, 07:36 | posts: 4,246 | Location: San Antonio

Quote:
Well clearly it wasn't much of a success if it led to Iron Lore closing down. I remember someone from Iron Lore making a forum post after the company shut down crying about how nobody bought the game.
They sold over one million copies of Titan Quest. What exactly do you consider "no one buying the game?"

Old
  (#22)
FlawleZ
Ancient Guru

Default 01-24-2010, 07:37 | posts: 4,246 | Location: San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchalf10 View Post
Same here, that's a shame
They're a small company with a modest budget. Unless a publish wants to jump on board and fill in that void, making a digital distribution is the only solution that makes sense for Crate Entertainment.

Old
  (#23)
peter_molyneux
Maha Guru

Mainboard:
Default 01-25-2010, 01:37 | posts: 942 | Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Quote:
What exactly do you consider "no one buying the game?"
Ask the Iron Lore producer who was crying about their game flopping.

Quote:
They sold over one million copies of Titan Quest.
What, total including expansion sales over the 3.5 years the game has been out? And including practically giving the game away during Steam sales?

Bottom line is that the company literally went out of business after Titan Quest came out. That says something.

Old
  (#24)
Cyrosis
Maha Guru

Default 01-25-2010, 03:55 | posts: 1,560 | Location: US

Quote:
Ask the Iron Lore producer who was crying about their game flopping.

What, total including expansion sales over the 3.5 years the game has been out? And including practically giving the game away during Steam sales?

Bottom line is that the company literally went out of business after Titan Quest came out. That says something.
Did someone from Iron Lore sleep with your wife or something?

Old
  (#25)
JonasBeckman
Ancient Guru

Videocard: R9 290 Tri-X Vapor-X OC
Processor: i7-3930K @ 4.1Ghz
Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Soundcard: Asus ROG Phoebus
PSU: Corsair AX 1200W
Default 01-28-2010, 07:31 | posts: 9,806 | Location: Sweden

http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/1/27/news/71881/

Screens, also it seems you can no longer pre-order from their website.